Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus turns down Texans head coach interview

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/08/matt-eberflus-turns-down-offer-to-interview-for-texans-head-coach/   Colts defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus has turned down the Texans’ re

Eberflus should have taken the interview just to give Watson a lift back to Indy.

Nah man. When employees start dictating their bosses, it never ends well. Train wreck or not, that's not how business works.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Eberflus might of helped himself get a job after this game. Bills players said this was the best defense they have played.

Despite what some think he’s a really good coach and will be missed sorely when he gets a head coaching job.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

He was able to give input. That's a voice. Bieniemy has a long list of off field issues, which I'm sure played into Houston not interviewing him, just like the many teams that interviewed him and passed. 

I read his interview with Atlanta was awful

• Like 1
16 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I read his interview with Atlanta was awful

He's got a lot of upside, but also downside. I'm indifferent about it, but if I'm a GM, given his off field issues, he better be almost perfect in all the other areas. 

• Like 1
On 1/8/2021 at 12:07 PM, csmopar said:

Normally I would agree. But if your boss says to you, hey, I want your input on the next New hire. And then chooses to not even seek it, I can see how that would rub someone wrong. 

I don’t disagree any of the above. Spot on

Trading away arguably the best WR in the entire game b/c coach O'Brien had issues with the guy is probably a start of Watson being unhappy.

On 1/8/2021 at 12:22 PM, EastStreet said:

You can listen, and still go another way. Listening does not mean allowing him to make the decision. Pretty simple definition.

I agree with you, in terms of the bosses should always call the shots... that's tricky in sports though.  A Pat McAfee podcast about how much power Peyton had in Indy was pretty funny, and also informative, and while there may have been some exaggerations, I think most were pretty spot on -- one thing McAfee said was "If Peyton wanted anyone in that building fired, all he had to do would be to walk into Irsay's office."  

Watson is a once-in-a-generation talent.  You probably saw JJ Watt apologize to him walking off the field after their last game saying "Sorry, we wasted one of your seasons."  Thing is, Watt already spoke out about O'Brien and the organization earlier in the year -- Watt's a future HOFer who has been the face of that franchise for about a decade, known league-wide as a class act.  It's not like Watson is the only player in HOU who seems unhappy with the way things are going, but he certainly doesn't seem happy there and has a reason, IMO, behind it.  Heck he posted something on twitter right after they hired the new GM (which he since has taken down).

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Actually, I read that Hopkins was traded because he refused to drink Easterby's kool aid.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/ex-chaplain-jack-easterby-houston-texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover

Maybe he was like a Grigson who seemed to be hated by everyone in the building...  and I won't ever know the real reason, so maybe that article is correct but a lot of articles (including this: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/deandre-hopkins-trade-texans-cardinals/1dd92jblv6vrt15q02xlrhk7e9) suggest Hopkins and O'Brien had an irreparable relationship.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Trading away arguably the best WR in the entire game b/c coach O'Brien had issues with the guy is probably a start of Watson being unhappy.

I agree with you, in terms of the bosses should always call the shots... that's tricky in sports though.  A Pat McAfee podcast about how much power Peyton had in Indy was pretty funny, and also informative, and while there may have been some exaggerations, I think most were pretty spot on -- one thing McAfee said was "If Peyton wanted anyone in that building fired, all he had to do would be to walk into Irsay's office."  

Watson is a once-in-a-generation talent.  You probably saw JJ Watt apologize to him walking off the field after their last game saying "Sorry, we wasted one of your seasons."  Thing is, Watt already spoke out about O'Brien and the organization earlier in the year -- Watt's a future HOFer who has been the face of that franchise for about a decade, known league-wide as a class act.  It's not like Watson is the only player in HOU who seems unhappy with the way things are going, but he certainly doesn't seem happy there and has a reason, IMO, behind it.  Heck he posted something on twitter right after they hired the new GM (which he since has taken down).

The difference is, Manning would never cry to the media, whine on twitter, or air dirty laundry. He'd work internally, and quietly. And Manning was a continual student of the game, always studying. Sure he wielded power, but we really didn't hear about it till afterward. And still, management let him go, so the power wielded was not limitless. 

I like Watson as a QB. And I'm not a fan of Houston's FO lately. Still, I see a lot of bad on both sides. And while I think Watson is a very good to great QB, I wouldn't call him generational. Mahommes is what I call generational, and I don't see Watson on that level. 

Players always have a choice after their rook contracts. Nobody has to stay there. Watson didn't have to sign a big deal this year. It's a business. I don't like dumb FOs, but I don't like whiny or diva players airing things either. I'm also fine with Houston continuing to be a dumpster fire for the next several years lol

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Watson isn't generational, although he is an excellent QB. He's not even the best QB in his draft class (Patrick Mahomes is) which shows how there are two or three great QBs in a draft class sometimes and it completely demeans the term "generational QB".

• Like 3
1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

- one thing McAfee said was "If Peyton wanted anyone in that building fired, all he had to do would be to walk into Irsay's office."  

Jim Mora was fired after he criticized Peyton on throwing 2 pick 6's in a game. I don't  know if Peyton had any input on that.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Watson isn't generational, although he is an excellent QB. He's not even the best QB in his draft class (Patrick Mahomes is) which shows how there are two or three great QBs in a draft class sometimes and it completely demeans the term "generational QB".

Yup. Sometimes you get two generational guys together. I'm old school, and maybe my definition is different from folks, but I see it as more or less a QB that only comes along once every 10-20 years. To me, Manning, Brady, and Mahomes easily make the cut the last 20 years. Not sure about the rest. Several guys have knocked on the door, but to me, haven't gotten over the hump and through the door.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

The difference is, Manning would never cry to the media, whine on twitter, or air dirty laundry. He'd work internally, and quietly. And Manning was a continual student of the game, always studying. Sure he wielded power, but we really didn't hear about it till afterward. And still, management let him go, so the power wielded was not limitless. 

I like Watson as a QB. And I'm not a fan of Houston's FO lately. Still, I see a lot of bad on both sides. And while I think Watson is a very good to great QB, I wouldn't call him generational. Mahommes is what I call generational, and I don't see Watson on that level. 

Players always have a choice after their rook contracts. Nobody has to stay there. Watson didn't have to sign a big deal this year. It's a business. I don't like dumb FOs, but I don't like whiny or diva players airing things either. I'm also fine with Houston continuing to be a dumpster fire for the next several years lol

Manning and the Colts moved on sort of together.  Manning said multiple times that a guy like Luck was so good that it wouldn't help him to sit behind a vet and learn, it'd be best for Luck to get thrown into the fire, like Manning was.  Peyton wanted another championship and didn't want to be part of a rebuild.  Luck was amazing, going 11-5 as a rookie and Peyton went to a team Elway built specifically to win a SB in the short term.  It worked out for both, unfortunately, Luck retired early after an injury plagued career.

I truly believe Manning wanted to do what he thought was best for the Colts' organization, while doing the best for himself.  He did so.  No way he could have predicted Luck would've retired early. 

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Watson is generational, IMO.  Statistically, he's up there with the best.  Mahomes is also a freak, no doubt about that.  Mahomes was in a situation where he got to sit behind a vet (Alex Smith) in a very good organization.  Watson came into a pretty bad organization and he's still a freak.  He had a 70.2% completion rate, 4,823 yards, 33TDs, 7 INTs, plus 450 rushing yards and 3 rushing TDs on a 4-12 team with very little offensive weapons after they traded a generational WR away.   That doesn't just 'happen'.   Put Watson in KC and I'd guess he's about as good (perhaps better) as Mahomes.

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Jim Mora was fired after he criticized Peyton on throwing 2 pick 6's in a game. I don't  know if Peyton had any input on that.

That was early in Peyton's career.  And who knows, but Peyton won a SB with Dungy soon thereafter.

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Sometimes you get two generational guys together. I'm old school, and maybe my definition is different from folks, but I see it as more or less a QB that only comes along once every 10-20 years. To me, Manning, Brady, and Mahomes easily make the cut the last 20 years. Not sure about the rest. Several guys have knocked on the door, but to me, haven't gotten over the hump and through the door.

Not disagreeing, and don't want to 'overuse' the term 'generational', but this is  a way different game than it was when Peyton was just a few years into his career.  Watson is an absolute freak. He can run as good or better than just about any QB in the league, though unlike a guy like Jackson, he can throw for >70% completion percentage as a pocket passer as well -- with a bad team.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Manning and the Colts moved on sort of together.  Manning said multiple times that a guy like Luck was so good that it wouldn't help him to sit behind a vet and learn, it'd be best for Luck to get thrown into the fire, like Manning was.  Peyton wanted another championship and didn't want to be part of a rebuild.  Luck was amazing, going 11-5 as a rookie and Peyton went to a team Elway built specifically to win a SB in the short term.  It worked out for both, unfortunately, Luck retired early after an injury plagued career.

Personally, I would have attempted to bring back Manning one more year while still drafting AL, and been honest with both. It wouldn't have hurt AL at all to sit for a year. I don't think it was a rebuild though. It did work out for both though, which is great.

I truly believe Manning wanted to do what he thought was best for the Colts' organization, while doing the best for himself.  He did so.  No way he could have predicted Luck would've retired early. 

I agree (Manning being unselfish). This is one of the many reasons I hold him up, while being more critical of the "me" crowd. Regardless of the situation in the background, Manning went about his business, changed teams, was complimentary while leaving, got another nice pay check, and got another SB. If Watson is unhappy, he should simply talk to the FO quietly. If he can't come to terms, he should demand a trade. These days, to many guys want to air everything, and it just never works out well for either party. Everyone has choices. 

Watson is generational, IMO.  Statistically, he's up there with the best.  Mahomes is also a freak, no doubt about that.  Mahomes was in a situation where he got to sit behind a vet (Alex Smith) in a very good organization.  Watson came into a pretty bad organization and he's still a freak.  He had a 70.2% completion rate, 4,823 yards, 33TDs, 7 INTs, plus 450 rushing yards and 3 rushing TDs on a 4-12 team with very little offensive weapons after they traded a generational WR away.   That doesn't just 'happen'.   Put Watson in KC and I'd guess he's about as good (perhaps better) as Mahomes.

Not disagreeing, and don't want to 'overuse' the term 'generational', but this is  a way different game than it was when Peyton was just a few years into his career.  Watson is an absolute freak. He can run as good or better than just about any QB in the league, though unlike a guy like Jackson, he can throw for >70% completion percentage as a pocket passer as well -- with a bad team.

Watson is knocking on the door. Too early for me to give him that label. I've seen him lay a lot of eggs in big moments. He also had the benefit of one of the best WRs (Hopikins). He's young, he's good, so he can continue to knock, and perhaps get in. Needs to get off twitter, decide if Houston is the place for him, commit to wherever, and focus.

• Like 2
On 1/9/2021 at 11:40 AM, EastStreet said:

Meh. It's a business. As more info comes out, sounds like he was promised to be in the listened too, and to give input. Not be the decision maker. He was allowed to provide input. Sounds like he didn't like the GM hire (what owner in their right mind would let the QB pick the GM), and is also not happy his choice in HC (Bieniemy) is not going to be the guy. Given Bieniemy's off field issues, I can understand why Houston is hesitant to make him the face. A lot of teams have interviewed him and went another way, so it's not like it was total egg laid here....  Allowing players to impact front office/hiring decisions rarely works well. 

He's making a lot of money. If he doesn't like it, he has options. Going public as a first response though as an option and not trying to work it out in house, is what bothers me the most. Twitter diva... 

I agree with that.  He could've handled it better.  Honestly, This is part of the business that sucks.  Great player.  Crap org.  He can either retire or continue playing.  Morally, I think he has every right to be angry.  But you're right, from the business he only has 2 options.

• Like 1
On 1/9/2021 at 9:05 AM, danlhart87 said:

He put UP MVP numbers with his trash line and without Hopkins. Imagine what he would do here...

I can't point to one thing that the Texans have done to make his job easier in the past 2-3 years.  I'm surprised JJ hasn't expressed his displeasure with the Org.

12 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

That may be true, but his criticism of Manning wasn't the reason he was fired. It was widely reported (including Mora himself saying) he was fired after a 6-10 season because Polian insisted he fire Fangio and he refused. So, Polian fired Mora.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, smittywerb said:

I can't point to one thing that the Texans have done to make his job easier in the past 2-3 years.  I'm surprised JJ hasn't expressed his displeasure with the Org.

Look at their salary/roster situation though. They are still spending top 10 money on O. Sure they've made some very unpopular public moves, but they've also spent money on the O as well.

How are some of you calling Deshaun a diva with how little they've done to help him succeed there? How long do you think he can keep his feelings "in-house"? He has aspirations and knows his career is wasting away. Even as a rival, I feel so bad for him. We've got to stop expecting these guys to be robots. They are terrible and he deserves better.

• Thanks 1

There are 7 options so far (jets, Eagles, Jaguars, Falcons, Texans, Lions, and Chargers). He’s had interest from 3 (jets, Texans, and Chargers). He’s only turned down the Texans.  Does that mean he wants the jets or chargers or is he waiting for the lions, falcons, eagles, or jags?

I expected the jets to make a choice by now.  

On 1/10/2021 at 7:00 PM, CurBeatElite said:
On 1/10/2021 at 6:54 PM, Dogg63 said:

Actually, I read that Hopkins was traded because he refused to drink Easterby's kool aid.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/ex-chaplain-jack-easterby-houston-texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover

Maybe he was like a Grigson who seemed to be hated by everyone in the building...  and I won't ever know the real reason, so maybe that article is correct but a lot of articles (including this: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/deandre-hopkins-trade-texans-cardinals/1dd92jblv6vrt15q02xlrhk7e9) suggest Hopkins and O'Brien had an irreparable relationship.

One thing's for sure, something rotten happened and/or is happening with the Texans...

• Like 1
On 1/11/2021 at 8:37 PM, EastStreet said:

Look at their salary/roster situation though. They are still spending top 10 money on O. Sure they've made some very unpopular public moves, but they've also spent money on the O as well.

Has the Texans ever had a Top 10 anything on offense?  lol  If BOB had any input on those moves then that's enough right there to say that money is not being well spent.

Maybe rushing.  Anything else?  They had the Passing title due to Deshaun and his greatness and that's it.  That team is horribly ran.

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

Has the Texans ever had a Top 10 anything on offense?  lol  If BOB had any input on those moves then that's enough right there to say that money is not being well spent.

Maybe rushing.  Anything else?  They had the Passing title due to Deshaun and his greatness and that's it.  That team is horribly ran.

IDK... Watson didn't show up till 2017... and..

Since 2010

Colts - AFC South Champs:  2010, 2013, 2014

Texans - AFC South Champs: 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019

They won 4 of 6 before Watson got there.  Colts only have 3... 

On 1/11/2021 at 4:44 AM, smittywerb said:

Watt came pretty close to doing just that when they fired Amy Palcic - a firing that many saw as being politically motivated.

And, as much as I hate to say it, I wouldn’t discount the role of politics in the Watson saga, either.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

One thing's for sure, something rotten happened and/or is happening with the Texans...

Yes, it's pretty clear something weird is going on with that organization.

Poor Andre went from an organization known for wasting careers to Grigson's Colts.