Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eberflus turns down Texans head coach interview


lollygagger8
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

LeBron James is on line one for you.  Sports business is very different from other businesses.  

LeBron isn't on the line. He's on a conference call with China...

 

NBA is different than the NFL. NBA has 5 guys starting, not 20+.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No but not even interviewing the guy he asked for after you asked for his input is a slap in the face.

If the recommendation was a non-starter, no use in interviewing. 

 

Again, not saying Houston isn't a dumpster fire, but I don't see either side without issue. Watson got a big contract, and he's trying to flex. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If the recommendation was a non-starter, no use in interviewing. 

 

Again, not saying Houston isn't a dumpster fire, but I don't see either side without issue. Watson got a big contract, and he's trying to flex. 

We disagree.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dogg63 said:

No, that's just a bad take East.

Sorry, when you go to reporters, that's making an internal/team issue, public. Tell me how that ends well. It's not strategic or seeking remedy. It's flexing and tantrum like.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep in mind that while Bieniemy checks a lot of on-field boxes, he's had a lot of off field issues over the years, and to some front offices, it's simply a non-starter for a HC/face-of-the-franchise. There's a reason he's interviewed a lot, and not been been given a team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

They just hired the gm.   Have the interviewed anyone for the HC job yet?

There is a list of names of who they are going to interview for the HC job.  He’s not one of them and apparently they made it known he won’t be interviewed.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Watson as a player but it's never a good thing for him or the team to go to the media and whine.

Watson is a player and is not part of the front office. Stay in your lane. 

If he has complaints take it to the owner or the new GM. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did I miss something? Because as far as I know Watson has not "gone to the media". "Sources" have allegedly released things to the media. The only thing I've seen him say publicly is a very non-specific (but likely relevent) tweet near the time the Caserio hire was announced.

Regardless, he has a right to be frustrated. They basically allowed O'brien to tank the team before his eyes, trading away one of the best receivers in the game and squandering all their high draft picks. The hole to climb out of is deep, and Caserio isn't exactly an encouraging hire after watching NE tank as hard as the Texans did for very similar reasons.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He is paid to be the leader, not the one who adds to the train wreck. 

I disagree.  I feel that management of that team has been egregious.  Sometimes a leader breaks eggs.  And should.  People were talking about Stafford glowingly about him not complaining.  Well maybe he should complain.

 

Just my opinion.

 

Watson makes more money than anyone in the organization and his chances of winning have been decimated by terrible management.  I have no problem with him going public either assuming he's talked to them in private already.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Did I miss something? Because as far as I know Watson has not "gone to the media". "Sources" have allegedly released things to the media. The only thing I've seen him say publicly is a very non-specific (but likely relevent) tweet near the time the Caserio hire was announced.

Regardless, he has a right to be frustrated. They basically allowed O'brien to tank the team before his eyes, trading away one of the best receivers in the game and squandering all their high draft picks. The hole to climb out of is deep, and Caserio isn't exactly an encouraging hire after watching NE tank as hard as the Texans did for very similar reasons.

You may have a point but he hasn't dispelled any of the negative things that has been put out. 

Yes O'Brian and his lack of being a good GM set the team back but O'Brian was a very good head coach. He just got in over his head trying to do both the jobs. Just because he came from Belichicks tree did not make him a branch.

As far as Caserio we don't have a clue on what he is capable of. What New England done went a lot more deeper than what is perceived as tanking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I disagree.  I feel that management of that team has been egregious.  Sometimes a leader breaks eggs.  And should.  People were talking about Stafford glowingly about him not complaining.  Well maybe he should complain.

 

Just my opinion.

 

Watson makes more money than anyone in the organization and his chances of winning have been decimated by terrible management.  I have no problem with him going public either assuming he's talked to them in private already.

Well the owner is in the process of changing the management. 

Watson can be the face and leader of the new team, or not. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

He's not gonna get that in Houston 

 

He really shouldn't. 

He a very talented,young, mobile, strong arm QB. One of the best in league. But he's a player and not management.  I like his interest and wanting to win tho.

If he feels management is incompetent,  maybe he should force a trade?  ......preferably to the Colts.  haha

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Just my opinion, but Watson seems to be acting like a diva. Not saying Houston admin isn't laying eggs, but QBs trying to impact coaching and GM hires is almost never a good thing. Wouldn't be shocked to see Houston trade him, and do a total rebuild. 


honestly, I think he has a right to.  Watson doesn’t deserve any of the stuff that’s going with that team.  Takes his best option away he still was the passing leader.  Texans failed him.  He probably didn’t trust him.  And when they pulled this move it was the last straw.  Can’t play for a team you can’t even trust

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Like what?

Presently the trust of their franchise QB.

However, on the longer term, the whole rubbish with BoB stems from their pursuit of Caserio. He was the only one Easterby wanted as GM. They allowed BoB full rein to 'destroy' the franchise and make all those moves he's been heralded for simply because the only GM they wanted was Caserio.

That's why i say he'd better have been worth all that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:


honestly, I think he has a right to.  Watson doesn’t deserve any of the stuff that’s going with that team.  Takes his best option away he still was the passing leader.  Texans failed him.  He probably didn’t trust him.  And when they pulled this move it was the last straw.  Can’t play for a team you can’t even trust

He put UP MVP numbers with his trash line and without Hopkins. Imagine what he would do here...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

Presently the trust of their franchise QB.

However, on the longer term, the whole rubbish with BoB stems from their pursuit of Caserio. He was the only one Easterby wanted as GM. They allowed BoB full rein to 'destroy' the franchise and make all those moves he's been heralded for simply because the only GM they wanted was Caserio.

That's why i say he'd better have been worth all that.

It is a stretch to say that it was intentional that Easterby destroyed the franchise. 

O'Brian was a very good head coach but got in over his head by trying to be the GM and the head coach. 

 Whenever Watson uses social media to voice his displeasure it never turns out to be a positive thing. 

I have no clue as to how Caserio will turn out but Watson needs to be a leader instead of a negative influence. 

I understand he is unhappy but whining to other players is not the answer. 

Watson is paid 39 million dollars a year to be the leader, not the distractor. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You can listen, and still go another way. Listening does not mean allowing him to make the decision. Pretty simple definition.

It could also mean they plan on shopping him.

 

With the destitute state they’re  in as far as draft capital they might as well.

 

Offer him to Dan Snyder.... who knows?.....if anyone is capable of overpaying and offsetting OBrien’s stupidity, he is. :dunno:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the Texans even CONSIDER shopping Watson, we need to be the first ones in there. It would, of course, be a long shot, but Watson would immediately make us Super Bowl contenders, if not the best team in the league.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, chickenMan said:

If the Texans even CONSIDER shopping Watson, we need to be the first ones in there. It would, of course, be a long shot, but Watson would immediately make us Super Bowl contenders, if not the best team in the league.

He would certainly put us in elite status for the next 10 years 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, danlhart87 said:

He would certainly put us in elite status for the next 10 years 

If they were to shop him though, they’d have to be pretty stupid to consider their main rival. However, if Ballard offered them enough....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

If the Texans even CONSIDER shopping Watson, we need to be the first ones in there. It would, of course, be a long shot, but Watson would immediately make us Super Bowl contenders, if not the best team in the league.

Never going to happen. They would never trade him within the division. I would say the biggest obstacle would be picks. Lets say they wanted 3 1st rounders. Well the Colts pick in the twenties this year. Now if they got Watson. They would most likely pick in the high twenties for the next 10 years. Do u think that the Texans would trade Watson for say picks 21, 27 and 28 the next 3 years in the 1st round? Nope. The only team that would have power would be a team like Dolphins. They have a high pick and look to b building something. I doubt Watson wants to go to another team picking in the top 5

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

PS. What does Watson know about Bienemy's ability to coach? 

He’s good buddies with Mahomes. Apparently Mahomes is a good used car salesman and Watson is buying. 
 

Coach’s especially coordinators tend to sometimes get more credit than due. Especially when the coordinators are disciples of good HCs like Reid and Bellichek. Its hit or miss. It’s hard to tell as an outsider if the Chiefs are successful because of their extremely talented roster or their coaching. 
 

I think Bienemy should at least get interviews; his credentials should get him in the door alone. Especially considering the likeness between the 2 star QBs. It’s just the Texans being the Texans. They have terrible ownership.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Never going to happen. They would never trade him within the division. I would say the biggest obstacle would be picks. Lets say they wanted 3 1st rounders. Well the Colts pick in the twenties this year. Now if they got Watson. They would most likely pick in the high twenties for the next 10 years. Do u think that the Texans would trade Watson for say picks 21, 27 and 28 the next 3 years in the 1st round? Nope. The only team that would have power would be a team like Dolphins. They have a high pick and look to b building something. I doubt Watson wants to go to another team picking in the top 5

You’re correct.... he’ll never take a snap under center in a Colts uniform.

 

I think Washington is the perfect landing spot for him.

 

After the Haskins fiasco, and with Alex Smith’s career especially vulnerable to another leg injury.... Dan Snyder, the NFL’s version of a drunken sailor when we remember the RGIII deal.... would actually be getting a proven commodity for a change.

 

WFT is pointed in the right direction.... Watson would immediately make them the class of the division for the foreseeable future.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, smittywerb said:


honestly, I think he has a right to.  Watson doesn’t deserve any of the stuff that’s going with that team.  Takes his best option away he still was the passing leader.  Texans failed him.  He probably didn’t trust him.  And when they pulled this move it was the last straw.  Can’t play for a team you can’t even trust

Meh. It's a business. As more info comes out, sounds like he was promised to be in the listened too, and to give input. Not be the decision maker. He was allowed to provide input. Sounds like he didn't like the GM hire (what owner in their right mind would let the QB pick the GM), and is also not happy his choice in HC (Bieniemy) is not going to be the guy. Given Bieniemy's off field issues, I can understand why Houston is hesitant to make him the face. A lot of teams have interviewed him and went another way, so it's not like it was total egg laid here....  Allowing players to impact front office/hiring decisions rarely works well. 

 

He's making a lot of money. If he doesn't like it, he has options. Going public as a first response though as an option and not trying to work it out in house, is what bothers me the most. Twitter diva... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Just my opinion, but Watson seems to be acting like a diva. Not saying Houston admin isn't laying eggs, but QBs trying to impact coaching and GM hires is almost never a good thing. Wouldn't be shocked to see Houston trade him, and do a total rebuild. 


What I saw is that they told him he would have a voice in finding the new coach and was said he would like Eric B. Interviewed and then they ignored him. I think you have to consider your young QBs opinion when hiring a new coach because they have to be on the same page when it comes to the offense. I’m not saying Watson should pick the new HC but he should have a voice.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

It could also mean they plan on shopping him.

 

With the destitute state they’re  in as far as draft capital they might as well.

 

Offer him to Dan Snyder.... who knows?.....if anyone is capable of overpaying and offsetting OBrien’s stupidity, he is. :dunno:

TBH, I'd lean towards almost a complete rebuild. Sure the FO was bad, but a lot of whispers that the players/locker room were pains. IDK. I'm sure the truth is somewhere in between. Watson is a good QB, is early in a big contract, so not sure what the possibilities are. He'd fit well with the Panthers IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Zoltan said:


What I saw is that they told him he would have a voice in finding the new coach and was said he would like Eric B. Interviewed and then they ignored him. I think you have to consider your young QBs opinion when hiring a new coach because they have to be on the same page when it comes to the offense. I’m not saying Watson should pick the new HC but he should have a voice.  

He was able to give input. That's a voice. Bieniemy has a long list of off field issues, which I'm sure played into Houston not interviewing him, just like the many teams that interviewed him and passed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...