Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ngakoue traded from Vikings to Ravens

PeterBowman

8 minutes ago, runthepost said:

After Mahomes embarrassed them they got some help

Yep, their DC Wink Martindale had to go blitz happy against Mahomes and it hurt them. They probably realized that if they need to just rush four and bring pressure, they had to improve their interior pressure and hence this move. 

It also increases Lamar Jackson's room for error against playoff teams like the Chiefs and Titans mainly. Plus, 2 divisional games vs Steelers are still on deck, the move thus makes a lot of sense. The price they paid was pretty stiff for someone in a contract year but they believe they are on the cusp of a SB appearance.

42 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Stuff like this makes me doubt Ballard. We know 100% because of this that Ngakoue was available, we needed a pass rusher and Ballard didn't pounce. We could of done a trade and sign, similar to Buckner, except for less money. Sad.

A proven player like Yannick is someone you def pick up the phone about. Ballard believes in his drafting ability and rightfully so but he has failed to hit on a pass rusher up this point. He def should have reached out 

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

A proven player like Yannick is someone you def pick up the phone about. Ballard believes in his drafting ability and rightfully so but he has failed to hit on a pass rusher up this point. He def should have reached out 

You mean like Banogu!

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Stuff like this makes me doubt Ballard. We know 100% because of this that Ngakoue was available, we needed a pass rusher and Ballard didn't pounce. We could of done a trade and sign, similar to Buckner, except for less money. Sad.

Or, we could have seen how things would go the next few months if we believed our team was on the cusp of a division contender giving him more motivation against the Jags. Giving up a 3rd next year and a conditional 5th the subsequent year to get him for 3-4 months is not as expensive as I thought it was once I saw the 5th was conditional. If his demands were outrageous, we could let the market dictate the price before signing him in the off season. 

There were 30 other teams that could have gotten him as well. It's mid-season, and he would have to be willing to sign there. He might have not wanted to sign with the Colts. He wants to be in Baltimore. He's a really good player, but you can't pay him 18-20 million a year with Buckner already making that much. He isn't worth the cap space opportunity cost IMO

Yannick is a major liability in the running game, but for him to get shipped off for a 3rd tells me that he's not such a good guy in the locker room. So the Jags get what's going to be a high 2nd round pick for him and the Vikings get what will be a low 3rd in return.

4 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

There were 30 other teams that could have gotten him as well. It's mid-season, and he would have to be willing to sign there. He might have not wanted to sign with the Colts. He wants to be in Baltimore. He's a really good player, but you can't pay him 18-20 million a year with Buckner already making that much. He isn't worth the cap space opportunity cost IMO

If about $20 plus mil. a year comes off the QB position with JB (even if we bring back Rivers), we should be able to make it work. If we felt it was a fit, we would make it work. It is just that Ballard still feels this roster needs more talent added on the offensive side and other areas that only draft picks can provide unless you overpay in free agency. That is my educated guess.

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

We aren't some bad team, he would sign here, and the price was a 3rd and conditional 5th that could be a 4th. Just offer a 3rd and 4th next year and you get him. Ballard knew this 100%. I don't give him the benefit of the doubt to draft pass-rushers. In fact, quite the opposite. He has proven he can't draft them with Lewis, Banogu, and Turay.

1.Colts have a little over $9m cap space left this season. Would probably take most of the remaining space to trade for him. We definitely need to roll some over.

2. Who knows if it was league wide knowledge the Vikings were moving him. Maybe the Ravens just hit them up and struck a deal.

Everyone seems to think they have all the Intel on this.

Doesn't matter if JB $20m is dropping off next year, that doesn't give us more cap space than we already have. It's already figured in.

The cap is going to drop quite a bit next year as well and we will need every $ we have.

Yannick would be nice but hes not in the cards. 

Turay has proven to be a good pass rusher when healthy.

Tyquan is playing very well in his limited action this year.

Jury still out on Banogu.

Ballard knew 100%? You don't know that, and even if he did everything I mentioned above plays into it why we didn't go after him.

Armchair GM game is strong in this thread.

You don't know what Ballard did or didn't do.

Just maybe Ngakoue wanted to be traded to the Ravens? 

You act like every player wants to come to the Colts and when they don't, it's Ballards fault. 

Your attitude aimed at Ballard is what is sad. 

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Your attitude shouldn't be bothered by something that Ballard does or doesn't do.

Baltimore is one of those teams that likes taking risk and sometimes they work but not all the time.

Today they signed Dez to practice squad too.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We know 100% because of this that Ngakoue was available, we needed a pass rusher and Ballard didn't pounce.

2 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

He def should have reached out

Neither of you know that he didn't reach out or "pounce"...

It's possible Ballard offered more than the Ravens, but Ngakoue wanted to go to Bmore.  If Yannick flat-out said "I'd rather play with Lamar Jackson than Philip Rivers", then it's completely out of Ballards' hands.

We'll never know, nor should we.  This sort of cloak-n-dagger stuff is going on behind the scenes all year long in the NFL, and we'll never be privy to it.  It is what it is.  Making ridiculous "Ballard should have" statements like the above is a waste of your time and energy.  :hat:

57 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Neither of you know that he didn't reach out or "pounce"...

It's possible Ballard offered more than the Ravens, but Ngakoue wanted to go to Bmore.  If Yannick flat-out said "I'd rather play with Lamar Jackson than Philip Rivers", then it's completely out of Ballards' hands.

We'll never know, nor should we.  This sort of cloak-n-dagger stuff is going on behind the scenes all year long in the NFL, and we'll never be privy to it.  It is what it is.  Making ridiculous "Ballard should have" statements like the above is a waste of your time and energy.  :hat:

How much time did I waste typing that? I don't know if he did or didn’t reach out but he 100% should have given the deficiency of his defense. Did I say “I know for a fact he didn’t reach out?” All I said was he should have reached out. I stand on that. You are making more assumptions than I ever did.

Just now, Mr.Debonair said:

How much time did I waste typing that? I don't know if he did or didn’t reach out but he 100% should have given the deficiency of his defense. Did I say “I know for a fact he didn’t reach out?” All I said was he should have reached out. I stand on that. You are making more assumptions than I ever did.

download.jpeg.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

How much time did I waste typing that?

How much time and energy do you put into making posts critical of the Colts organization, its' coaches, its' players, etc.?

5 posts today.

40-freakin-6 posts Sunday.  And the overwhelming majority of your posts are critical of the Colts in some form or fashion.  But hey, it's your time and energy.  Spend it however you want.  :hat:

8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

How much time and energy do you put into making posts critical of the Colts organization, its' coaches, its' players, etc.?

5 posts today.

40-freakin-6 posts Sunday.  And the overwhelming majority of your posts are critical of the Colts in some form or fashion.  But hey, it's your time and energy.  Spend it however you want.  :hat:

Thanks for the permission :hat:

8 hours ago, runthepost said:

After Mahomes embarrassed them they got some help

This is dead on. The Ravens are 0-3 against the Mahome’s Chiefs. They have been built to beat the Steelers and Patriots. They have always had problems with the old Manning Colts, or the current Chiefs. Basically , very dynamic offenses. 
They have a great secondary and pretty good linebackers. Decent D line , but the weakness is the pass rush. They need to rush four against Mahomes, instead of the constant blitzes that didn’t work. It was worth a shot with Ngakoue for a third and fifth round draft picks. 

4 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

This is dead on. The Ravens are 0-3 against the Mahome’s Chiefs. They have been built to beat the Steelers and Patriots. They have always had problems with the old Manning Colts, or the current Chiefs. Basically , very dynamic offenses. 
They have a great secondary and pretty good linebackers. Decent D line , but the weakness is the pass rush. They need to rush four against Mahomes, instead of the constant blitzes that didn’t work. It was worth a shot with Ngakoue for a third and fifth round draft picks. 

Rushing 4 gives teams a better chance of not getting beat over the top. We all saw that 1 on 1 with Hill/Kelce/Hardman and nobody covering over top is a mismatch. 

9 hours ago, runthepost said:

Rushing 4 gives teams a better chance of not getting beat over the top. We all saw that 1 on 1 with Hill/Kelce/Hardman and nobody covering over top is a mismatch. 

The Ravens couldn’t keep doing the same things defensively, and hope for better results. I agree with the rush 4, with just a few blitzes mixed in. 

The offensive side is a concern, as the Ravens aren’t as effective on offense as last year. Yanda retiring at guard has really hurt, and trading Hurst has hurt the passing, although they got Dobkins with that trade pick. The offense must improve. They need another tight end or WR. AB would be interesting with his cousin in Baltimore, but we certainly don’t want a second Earl Thomas. 

On 10/22/2020 at 12:13 PM, buccolts said:

Hmm, did Yannick wear out his welcome in Minny already?

Lol. I'm not surprised that is what came to mind.

No, he did not wear out his welcome. The Vikings are losing and have decided to trade players. He was going to be a free agent. Why keep him if they are going to lose him for nothing. 

I love the way the Ravens and the Steelers build their teams. They build through the draft, make good, smart trades and add free agents here and there. And they don't seem to overpay. The Steelers' acquisition if Minkah Fitzpatrick was great and it worked out well for them. 

Archived