Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This could be our year

NannyMcafee

With the option of players being able to opt out this year, it could be a prime year for the colts to win it all. Maybe some teams dont have their starters. 

This is also assuming covid trends downward and no one else gets Ill, God willing. 

I could really use football right now lol 

I’m trying to not get my hopes up in any way.

But, in all honesty, i cant see how football game are played or kids are back in school in the next two months.  Not realistically without the expectation that 25% - 50% will shortly be covid positive.  At least not in many of the NFL cities.  Two weeks into the season, literally half of the teams could be so infected, that forfeitures would be the norm.  I hope i’m wrong.

42 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

But, in all honesty, i cant see how football game are played or kids are back in school in the next two months.  Not realistically without the expectation that 25% - 50% will shortly be covid positive.  At least not in many of the NFL cities.  Two weeks into the season, literally half of the teams could be so infected, that forfeitures would be the norm.  I hope i’m wrong.

I am with you on that opinion. Like I brought up in an earlier thread just the logistics is next to impossible. 

Not too many has brought up the mental aspects of all this and how it can effect the players. How much into football can these players get into with this issue in the back of their minds? 

It's not only the team mates, it's playing against other teams players. Players can't hit each other without breathing on each other. Some say mask or coverings for each player but how will that effect their breathing or ability to cool themselves down? 

6 hours ago, Legend_Coslosky said:

Just gotta hope none of our key players opt out and we're able to stay healthy throughout the season.

After each game, dozens of unmarked vans merge onto the field , and un-badged federal workers physically throw our players into the backs of these vans to be whisked off to “safety.”  None to be seen until the following Sunday.

That could work.

5 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

After each game, dozens of unmarked vans merge onto the field , and un-badged federal workers physically throw our players into the backs of these vans to be whisked off to “safety.”  None to be seen until the following Sunday.

That could work.

What?

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

Yep.  I'm not convinced or even hopeful they finish this season.  But if they do, this year will be a war of attrition moreso than ever.  

My thoughts exactly.  I think that does give us the edge, this team is deep (except for Oline).  

And I’d have no problem with a SB win, even if it came with an asterisk.  

So if we did win it all this year. Would you be as proud knowing that there's an asterisk next to the SB Champions for COVID?

I mean, I'd be proud and all, but not really satisfied with it knowing that our opposition wasn't healthy and at 100%.

9 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

2 months ago, I'd said you were nuts. But now, I must say I agree. I figured this thing would have a better handle on it by now but it appears very likely the NFL shortens or cancels this season.  Course what that'll do to contracts if it happens of course.

25 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

So if we did win it all this year. Would you be as proud knowing that there's an asterisk next to the SB Champions for COVID?

I mean, I'd be proud and all, but not really satisfied with it knowing that our opposition wasn't healthy and at 100%.

At least we would have earned it honestly.  Unlike Pats fans who are proud of trophies the Patriots got while cheating....

9 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

If 50% are "shortly covid positive" the whole thing will be done in short order....past 70% of the total population contracting it, you reach herd immunity.... Now, that isn't gonna happen soon, because we are ridiculously far from that percentage at this point.....

Edit: Scratch all that..... I need more coffee....lol

45 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

All this asterisk talk among sports fans is silly.  Every league is operating on a weird field this year, as is each member team of those leagues.... Overcoming the unique difficulties of ANY season and winning a title requires being the "best" in that given year.... Years, and for that matter eras, cannot be weighed as entirely equal to one another in normal circumstances, so no year deserves an asterisk any more than another....  Do the NBA years where Jordan was playing baseball have asterisks for those champions?   It's all conjecture and heresay

I'd have to see something on the field before I make a guess on this type of thing. 

Odds would be real long in my mind that the old Phil Rivers Colts are a SB contender. I think they're a playoff contender- but don't you need to have a feel for the Texans and Titans before counting chickens?

The season is a total crapshoot, both in terms of opt outs and who might face difficulties with covid down the road.  Let's face it, baseball is the bellwether here since they're actually traveling as the NFL plans to do, and they couldn't make it through their first weekend without an outbreak and cancelled (sorry "postponed") games.  I want to see a full season as much as anyone but the tea leaves aren't pointing that way...

That said, if the season does come to conclusion, and we happen to be the lucky team that stays safe and healthy, and even win it all, there's no need to worry about an asterisk...People forget about asterisks within 3-5 years...Unless the Lombardi trophy has an asterisk carved into it, it actually should be an honor to have navigated the risks better than others

38 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

All this asterisk talk among sports fans is silly.  Every league is operating on a weird field this year, as is each member team of those leagues.... Overcoming the unique difficulties of ANY season and winning a title requires being the "best" in that given year.... Years, and for that matter eras, cannot be weighed as entirely equal to one another in normal circumstances, so no year deserves an asterisk any more than another....  Do the NBA years where Jordan was playing baseball have asterisks for those champions?   It's all conjecture and heresay

I didn't mean 'asterisk' in a belittling way.  I meant that the team that wins the SB this season will always be referred to in the same way that teams who won in the strike years.

Those fan bases had no problem enjoying those wins.  I sure won't either.

You're correct, all the teams are on the same playing field.  Just like every year, the team that survives all the obstacles best, wins it all.  This year, there are just a lot more unique obstacles.

1 hour ago, IndyD4U said:

To be honest;  Yes.  Somebody has to win it.  All of the teams are playing under the same circumstances.  A SB win is a SB win under any circumstances.  

20 minutes ago, jlid said:

The season is a total crapshoot, both in terms of opt outs and who might face difficulties with covid down the road.  Let's face it, baseball is the bellwether here since they're actually traveling as the NFL plans to do, and they couldn't make it through their first weekend without an outbreak and cancelled (sorry "postponed") games.  I want to see a full season as much as anyone but the tea leaves aren't pointing that way...

That said, if the season does come to conclusion, and we happen to be the lucky team that stays safe and healthy, and even win it all, there's no need to worry about an asterisk...People forget about asterisks within 3-5 years...Unless the Lombardi trophy has an asterisk carved into it, it actually should be an honor to have navigated the risks better than others

Fortunately it was only one team with positive tests...and so far other teams haven't tested positive since.

I always feel like I’m the Debbie Downer but here I go.  We have only made the playoffs once in the last 5 years.  Perhaps we should pump the brakes on this Super Bowl talk.  I think we have a chance to win the division but that means going thru Houston.  Watson is the best QB in the division and one of the best in the league.  They have their own set of issues but they are still a very good team and will always be tough to beat.  I think this is the year we can do it. 

20 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I always feel like I’m the Debbie Downer but here I go.  We have only made the playoffs once in the last 5 years.  Perhaps we should pump the brakes on this Super Bowl talk.  I think we have a chance to win the division but that means going thru Houston.  Watson is the best QB in the division and one of the best in the league.  They have their own set of issues but they are still a very good team and will always be tough to beat.  I think this is the year we can do it. 

You're not a downer, those are legitimate points.  Most of the so called experts have said we're the best team in the division.  But we know that the team with the best QB usually makes up for a lot of issues.  Watson is definitely the cream of the crop.  The Titans are still a very good team too, I wouldn't sleep on them.

All that being said, I think it's pretty clear that the Chiefs and Ravens are the teams to beat.  We're in that group with about 8 other teams that have a legitimate shot if the breaks fall their way.

38 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think the team in the AFC South to be most concerned about is....   Tennessee.   Much better roster, much better head coach.   Houston is a team in a fair amount of turmoil right now.   Watson, who is really good, keeps them close, but the Texans feel to me like a third place team in our division.   Indy, Ten and Hou.  

That’s the view from 1800 miles away. 

30 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

If super bowl wins were dependent on the QB the Colts would have had more than one super bowl with Manning. 

The reason Brady has his rings is because of the teams he was on. 

There are a few teams who have a ring where the QB wasn't even considered that good or tops in the league that year. 

Just saying. 

33 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Not sure I agree with the much better roster part, and definitely dont agree with the coach part. 

I believe he's saying their head coach is better than Houston's.  I think he's right on both.  Just another opinion.

Except for QB, the Titans team is better on paper than the Texans IMO.  But, as we all know, QB can make up for a lot.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the team in the AFC South to be most concerned about is....   Tennessee.   Much better roster, much better head coach.   Houston is a team in a fair amount of turmoil right now.   Watson, who is really good, keeps them close, but the Texans feel to me like a third place team in our division.   Indy, Ten and Hou.  

That’s the view from 1800 miles away. 

Tennessee kinda reminds me a lot like Dallas. Looks great on paper but kinda hangs around that .500 mark but can string together wins with that defense and running game. They are definitely built for the playoffs and their success hinges on what Tannehill can do when they need plays.  I see the Colts built the same way so once in the playoffs anything can happen.  No better way to neutralize home field advantage than by running the ball.  I can see Houston finishing third as well bc all three of the AFC souths top teams are evenly matched.  Should be some very good football to watch this fall

15 hours ago, Legend_Coslosky said:

Just gotta hope none of our key players opt out and we're able to stay healthy throughout the season.

Interview with Ballard on the Bring the Juice podcast the impression I get is our guys are ready to play, they're just worried about their families and how the organization will support them through all of this. 

I was filling in a lot of blanks. But that was my impression anyway. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

If super bowl wins were dependent on the QB the Colts would have had more than one super bowl with Manning. 

The reason Brady has his rings is because of the teams he was on. 

There are a few teams who have a ring where the QB wasn't even considered that good or tops in the league that year. 

Just saying. 

I said pump the brakes on the SB talk.  I think winning the division is very much dependent on QB play and the Colts did that on a regular basis with Manning. 

I will play devils advocate is also say the reason the Patriots teams have their rings is also bc Tom Brady played on them. They never won a title without TB and TB never won without the team. Just like Jordan never won without Pippen and Pippen never won without Jordan

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Solid points. Not a downer at all.

Tennessee would argue that Tannehill was better than Watson last year. Either way, both teams have that position solid. It's easily a three horse race. 

Also Jacksonville are a wildcard. It's not insane to see them as a .500 team rather than a 2-14 team. 

Whoever comes out on top the AFCSouth will have a legit shout as a SB team.

11 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Solid points. Not a downer at all.

Tennessee would argue that Tannehill was better than Watson last year. Either way, both teams have that position solid. It's easily a three horse race. 

Also Jacksonville are a wildcard. It's not insane to see them as a .500 team rather than a 2-14 team. 

Whoever comes out on top the AFC South will have a legit shout as a SB team.

Can they move us to the AFC East? J/k :) 

4 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Not sure I agree with the much better roster part, and definitely dont agree with the coach part. 

You know I’m comparing the Ten roster with the Hou roster, right?    And I’m comparing Grable with O’Brien, right?

Im not comparing them with Indy. 

That’s why I listed the teams as....  Indy, Ten and Hou.    Are we still not in agreement?

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You know I’m comparing the Ten roster with the Hou roster, right?    And I’m comparing Grable with O’Brien, right?

Im not comparing them with Indy. 

That’s why I listed the teams as....  Indy, Ten and Hou.    Are we still not in agreement?

I missed that...thanks!

Archived