Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign Ol Samson Satele

CashMoney

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great signing. i love the move to more of a running game, i personally feel Brown will flourish with this style of offense. he has always seemed like more of a downhill runner to me, instead of trying to find the hole in the "zone" then cut and go guy. i think knowing the hole will be in a certain spot and the Lineman are built to push the Defenders backwards will make all the difference in his game.

I wasn't disparaging any of the FA pick-ups, just that they will likely have to do more to earn the starting spots. If Saturday is gone, though, Satele will likely be the de facto starter.

I doubt there will be much competition, reitz isn't much of a guard.justice has been a starter and Ben hasn't really had much okay time there so he might just be put at RG position.

Why would we put ijalana as a right tackle. He's moving inside to guard. Winston justice has been used at guard but never did that good, will be our right tackle. Hopefully ijalana plays right guard. Not sure about joe reitz though. Never heard of a guard being successful at 6'7. Would like to see him try out at tackle though

OK. This is my favorite FA pickup so far. I wouldn't mind an upgrade over Reitz, but I'm starting to get much more comfortable with the OLine, and am excited to see how our run game will fare in '12.

Our running game should be nice but I'm just worried that we are adding bigger bodies on the OL for Donald Brown to run into the backs of. haha I kid!!

Why would we put ijalana as a right tackle. He's moving inside to guard. Winston justice has been used at guard but never did that good, will be our right tackle. Hopefully ijalana plays right guard. Not sure about joe reitz though. Never heard of a guard being successful at 6'7. Would like to see him try out at tackle though

Not to mention that ijalana has ideal build for the guard position

Well, the fact that he's never played guard might have something to do with it. It's just as likely that Ijalana's injury is worse than we know, or he is taking awhile to develop. He may be the backup to Justice at right tackle. But it's a little strange to express surprise at the thought of a guy being placed at the position that he was specifically drafted to play.

Well, the fact that he's never played guard might have something to do with it. It's just as likely that Ijalana's injury is worse than we know, or he is taking awhile to develop. He may be the backup to Justice at right tackle. But it's a little strange to express surprise at the thought of a guy being placed at the position that he was specifically drafted to play.

Ijalanas injury was a torn ACL I believe? If thats the case he will not be ready to play come September (ACL recovery is 12-18 months?). He may be healthy later in the year but this would mean he probably missed training camp again this year..

That sucks for us.

This is a GREAT signing and really balances out the line!

With this signing I think the offensive line members that CAN start are already on the roster.......

Castonzo had a solid rookie campaign last year and 'should' only get better......

Rietz had a solid first year last year at LG.......

McGlynn has been a solid contributor to the bengals AND Eagles in the past.....

Satele is the starter at center and has been solid for both the Dolphins AND Raiders....

Ijalana can be solid at either rg or rt....

Justice has been a decent starter in this league at rt in the past, perhaps he slides in to rg and Ijalana slides out to rt?

Linkenbach, Tepper, Olsen, Kirkpatrick, Shipley and Murphy all battle it out for the remaining two or three backup roles!

All in all I think we have the makings of a solid offensive line AND they are all 27 or younger and can grow together into a cohesive unit!

seems like a good pickup..here's what profootballfocus had to say about this signing:

11:28 SIGNING!

Jeff Saturday has left the fold and the Indianapolis Colts continue their free agency revolution by bringing in center

Samson Satele

. One of the better free agents available, Satele put a largely disappointing career to one side in 2011 with his best season to date. He had our 5th highest run blocking grade of all centers and finished the season strong, though likely impacted the fee he could command with an arrest earlier in the week.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/21/pff-live-free-agency-reaction-blog-day-9-032112/

i do like this signing but i also question why we sign 4 fa o-linemen? As far as i was concerned we only needed a OT and C i know about depth but Pollack is a borderline starter with only one center and guard our depth was fine but we get 4 olinemen? Where is our NT and CB we desperately need those but i am glad Luck and Donald Brown will have a solid O-LINE

The more the merrier

This is a GREAT signing and really balances out the line!

With this signing I think the offensive line members that CAN start are already on the roster.......

Castonzo had a solid rookie campaign last year and 'should' only get better......

Rietz had a solid first year last year at LG.......

McGlynn has been a solid contributor to the bengals AND Eagles in the past.....

Satele is the starter at center and has been solid for both the Dolphins AND Raiders....

Ijalana can be solid at either rg or rt....

Justice has been a decent starter in this league at rt in the past, perhaps he slides in to rg and Ijalana slides out to rt?

Linkenbach, Tepper, Olsen, Kirkpatrick, Shipley and Murphy all battle it out for the remaining two or three backup roles!

All in all I think we have the makings of a solid offensive line AND they are all 27 or younger and can grow together into a cohesive unit!

Nicely put

Walterfootball.com

coltsb_logo.gif Colts sign C Samson Satele (3 years, $10.8M; $5M guaranteed): C Grade

Andrew Luck needs a new center with Jeff Saturday moving on, so this seems like a good signing on the surface. However, it has to be noted that Samson Satele was arrested for disorderly conduct a few days ago. It's never a good sign when a player gets into legal trouble when being close to signing a contract. What will Satele do now that he has $5 million guaranteed in his pocket?

my buddy is a huge raiders fan. said it was more of they didnt have the money to resign him than him being a problem. said he loved him and was a beast in run blocking. PUMPED!! btw, saw earlier that the other guys we got were back ups. not true, they were starters who got dinged up. and it was also mud who didnt care for them being he likes smaller linemen. looks like pags wants to win on the front lines on the offense and defensive side. couldnt be happier!! well, a stud NT could take me over the top!!

i do like this signing but i also question why we sign 4 fa o-linemen? As far as i was concerned we only needed a OT and C i know about depth but Pollack is a borderline starter with only one center and guard our depth was fine but we get 4 olinemen? Where is our NT and CB we desperately need those but i am glad Luck and Donald Brown will have a solid O-LINE

Pollack is a free agent and has yet to resign with us. With this signing, pretty sure he's gone.

It sounds like another great pick up. I loving Grigs and Pags! They are hitting hard in the FA market. Hope they can hit it hard in the draft next month. Makes me excited to watch the draft this year :). The Polians draft you knew what you were going to get draft duds, no excitement and very boring to watch! Grant it they did well with Manning. Freeney and a few others. But that was about it. That was just a few.

You're kidding, right? Polian was one of the best GMs at the draft... ever. Look up some statistics some time to see how he compares to other GMs around the league. He's consistently been one of the best every single year he was here with us.

EDIT: Not to say I'm not loving Grigson thus far, by the way. Great FA moves so far, and I'm really excited to see what he can do in the draft room. The ignorance you displayed towards Polian is what prompted me to reply to you.

Pollack is a free agent and has yet to resign with us. With this signing, pretty sure he's gone.

You're kidding, right? Polian was one of the best GMs at the draft... ever. Look up some statistics some time to see how he compares to other GMs around the league. He's consistently been one of the best every single year he was here with us.

EDIT: Not to say I'm not loving Grigson thus far, by the way. Great FA moves so far, and I'm really excited to see what he can do in the draft room. The ignorance you displayed towards Polian is what prompted me to reply to you.

Polian hit more early on here than he did of late though. I thought one of his greatest draft hits was Edge because nobody saw that coming, especially with the great Ricky Williams sitting right there. Freeney was a great pick too looking back with Haynesworth sitting there and it was a major need as well. So many of the picks were the Colts system kinda guys but they were also more fragile. His miss on DT's and olineman were horrible as Saturday was his only real hit and again, years back. He picked up some nice UDFA guys though for sure during his time and was fortunate with Bethea but his drafting excellence is more hype over the past 5-7 years than it was considered good. His misses were a lot of the reason for the blow up and the overpaid contracts he made. I acknowledge he picked so very good in his first 5-6 years but it tailed off terribly. He picked for the system and this team piled on regular season wins but we have to ask how many of those wins were due to PM, not on the draft picks.

Walterfootball.com

coltsb_logo.gif Colts sign C Samson Satele (3 years, $10.8M; $5M guaranteed): C Grade

Andrew Luck needs a new center with Jeff Saturday moving on, so this seems like a good signing on the surface. However, it has to be noted that Samson Satele was arrested for disorderly conduct a few days ago. It's never a good sign when a player gets into legal trouble when being close to signing a contract. What will Satele do now that he has $5 million guaranteed in his pocket?

Allow me to nitpick.

I dislike the inference that a player is going to make trouble for himself and his team just because he signs a new contract. He was arrested for disorderly conduct. I'm not trying to dismiss the seriousness of any arrest, but we're not talking about someone who has a history of taking loaded guns into nightclubs, or who has been arrested for DUI or charged with battery or anything like that.

In Hawaii, disorderly conduct could be as minor as loud profanity in a public place, or playing your music too loud. He was ordered to pay a $500 fine, and let go. The fact that he was arrested probably means it was more serious than that, but that's an assumption, not a fact.

I know perfectly respectable people who take good care of their families who have been arrested for disorderly conduct or similar misdemeanor offenses. The idea that the man should be blacklisted is kind of ridiculous.

More like 99% haha in my opinion. All fingers pointing west as of now. Bet we have a definite answer this afternoon or evening. Watcha Think ?

Yes, for sure by the weekend Im thinking...if they get dallas too oh man! (sorry off topic)

Our FO is making really nice moves, more and more holes are being filled. To me it looks like well address secondary and WR needs through the draft, and probably a DT or two...our offensive line is lookin pretty sharp

I still would like to bring a proven running back in here. I know Brown looked a little better last year but I still don't trust him. Carter is still a question mark as well.

Don't even draft one... unless his name is Adrian Peterson... or Ray Rice... PASS..

Bring back Darren Evans.

OK. This is my favorite FA pickup so far. I wouldn't mind an upgrade over Reitz, but I'm starting to get much more comfortable with the OLine, and am excited to see how our run game will fare in '12.

A run game is absolutely critical to Luck's development.

Great signing!

Looks like a great signing if he stays out of trouble. I assume they discussed his arrest or at least put verbiage in his contract about it. We do have a ton of OL but that is great. Means lots of hard hitting and people working hard to get a starting spot. With as many people that went down with injuries last year it also means we can have some decent replacements. A couple may make the practice squad but not every one of these guys will work out. This allows us to offset any busts and keep moving at the most important positions on our team (those that protect Luck). I don't see us doing a lot more on the OL now. We will likely address some other positions now and I see our draft very defensive focused since we have very little talent on that side of the ball.

Allow me to nitpick.

I dislike the inference that a player is going to make trouble for himself and his team just because he signs a new contract. He was arrested for disorderly conduct. I'm not trying to dismiss the seriousness of any arrest, but we're not talking about someone who has a history of taking loaded guns into nightclubs, or who has been arrested for DUI or charged with battery or anything like that.

In Hawaii, disorderly conduct could be as minor as loud profanity in a public place, or playing your music too loud. He was ordered to pay a $500 fine, and let go. The fact that he was arrested probably means it was more serious than that, but that's an assumption, not a fact.

I know perfectly respectable people who take good care of their families who have been arrested for disorderly conduct or similar misdemeanor offenses. The idea that the man should be blacklisted is kind of ridiculous.

It was a petty misdemeanor with a small fine, but they portray it as if he did something Mike Vick-ish.........geez....