Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason game clips

CR91

Just some notes

- Some throws he made just made me go wow, but then he had some head scratchers. For example, he faces pressure and he leaves his feet and floats a pass to two defenders in the red zone.

- I don't like his feet when he's pressured. He's very timid and looks to either spin or throw off his back heel.

- The range he has is insane. I honestly feel like he can throw from any angle, but I think that gets him in trouble as well especially when he doesn't get time.

- His receivers did not do him any favors as they dropped a lot of catchable balls and I'm not sure if it's because he throws a fast ball on almost every throw or not.

- I wish he would step into throws more. I just feel like he relies on his arm too much. Countless times I saw him sail passes because he didn't step into his throws.

- I think he goes to his check down too early especially if pressure is in his face and doesn't anticipate his receiver's route.

Overall, I think Eason is talented and I think if he stayed another year in school to polish his skills more, he would have went in the first round.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a lot of ways, the Colts may have been the best place for Eason to land for several reasons:  (1) A lot of his weaknesses are Rivers' strengths -- like releasing the ball quick, going through reads, avoiding deep dropbacks, timing on intermediate throws, etc.... (2) Reich seems to be very good at coaching to the strengths of his QB (and team in general), (3) Reich also seems to be very good at helping develop QBs, (4) we have one of the best OLs in football, it seems like Eason does get flustered under pressure, but our OL allows some of the least amount of pressure in the league, (5) we have some young, talented WRs who will hopefully be pretty polished by the time Eason is ready to step on the field in meaningful situations, and (6) we have a young core of players and are in good cap space for the foreseeable future, if we need to provide more weapons we should be able to (via draft or FA -- really on D, outside of Houston and Rhodes, we should be set for a while with the rest of our DL, all of our LBs, and the majority of our secondary... on O, we need to start thinking about replacing Castonzo and Glowinski, improving the TE and eventually replacing TY... but by the time Eason sees the field our team should be deep enough at most positions that Ballard should be able to provide him additional weapons if need be).

I can't believe Eason's completion percentage was >64% last year given the amount of drops his receivers had.  He also had 23 TDs and only 8 INTs.  

He's got elite size and an elite arm.  I don't think he's as bad a scrambler as they say, but Rivers is a pretty terrible scrambler, so he should be learning in a system which will suit his style of being mainly a pocket-passer.  I don't see a lot of tape that isn't coachable -- some decision making needs to improve, some fundamentals need to improve (as @CR91 said in the OP, he's gotta stop throwing off his back leg/in the air/at poor angles so much), but I don't see any major flaws which can't be improved with coaching and a year or two to watch Rivers do things at the NFL level.  Also, Reich, if given talent at the skill positions, seems to be able to run an offense which minimizes the amount of 'thinking' the QB has to do by putting guys in the right spot and making it easy for his QB to make quick throws, etc.

Eason's stats are actually impressive based on what he had to work with. His WR's dropped ALOT of passes and his O-line was allowing pressure on dang near every snap. He made some bad throws under pressure but also extended alot of plays and converted under pressure.

Side note, I wish we would've drafted Bryant with our last 6th round pick. Him and Eason had good chemistry, and was definitely his go to receiver. 

The UT vs Georgia game in 2016 let me know Eason had a cannon arm. With 19 seconds left Eason threw a bullseye for a 53 yard TD.  The ball traveled at least 50yds in the air and hit the receiver in full stride.  I had been following Eason at the time bc my buddy is a huge Georgia fan and I believe he was the best pro style QB from that years recruiting class.  

Btw, Tennessee won the game with 4 seconds left with a Hail Mary to the end zone.  If you have the time, check out the end on YouTube.  It was a blast to watch and a definite roller coaster at  the end. 

I think Eason is an example where NFL guys see a kid that was the top rated QB in high school.  Goes to college and performs decently in the SEC as a true freshman.  Then gets hurt the next season.  Then sits the next after that in transfer. Then plays again after a 2 year hiatus.  

If NFL coaches are supposed to be the best, Eason is the type of player they covet.  He’s got all the tools from a physicality stand point.  He’s also got the pedigree coming out of high school.  Maybe the thing he hasn’t had is “top flight coaching”???

He’s about to get that now.  Great value pick in the 4th round.  I wasn’t an Eason fan going into the draft.  Now that I’ve learned more of his circumstances in college & the fact that he was the TOP guy has piqued my interest. I hope he can put it all together. 

Quite frankly I don't understand why there are any who have a problem with Eason. 

A 4th round pick is not a lot to gamble on for a young QB. 

Ballard drafted him with full knowledge he will take time to develop. 

Any QB at any level who earns a 143.9 QBR for a season has the talent, so what's the problem?

Rivers will be our QB this season and quite possibly at least another year or two.

With a pro level QB coach that will work with him on his mechanics it stands to reason he will be much improved. 

Give the kid a chance before assuming he will not be a NFL QB. 

43 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Quite frankly I don't understand why there are any who have a problem with Eason. 

Any QB at any level who earns a 143.9 QBR for a season has the talent, so what's the problem?

Rivers will be our QB this season and quite possibly at least another year or two.

With a pro level QB coach that will work with him on his mechanics it stands to reason he will be much improved. 

I also see the Colts having him work with Tom House like they did with Luck post shoulder surgery. 

53 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree with you.    I'm hoping he pans out.

I'm just not as sold on him as most on here are.   I'm worried about his handling of pressure.   I know the Colts currently have a great O-line, but who knows in 2-3 years.  

I do think we got great value in the pick we used on him.  I don't think teams would have been crucified if they took him in the second or third round.  

I'm still hoping Brissett is put out to pasture.  

Of the QB’s we had a realistic shot at he has arguably the best arm. Can make all the throws. The rest I just hope can be coached and developed up. Perfect world would be one year behind both Rivers and Jacoby. One year behind Rivers as the clear #2. Then be the starter in year 3. It gives he and the staff plenty of time to develop him and not rush it.

Hopefully it works out but if not it was just a 4th. It’s different then if we traded up for Love. Doing that puts pressure on Love and Ballard to work out due to what we potentially gave up or passed on to take Love. 

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am still baffled why he fell so far. Teams were just less likely to draft a project this year I guess.  Mike Silver was so rude on the radio this morning.  Saying that Ballard’s comments about him mean he isnt that good. No he is just a project. You can’t look at his tape and saw he is no good.  

The kid has all the talent in the world

So did Jeff George

So did Ryan Leaf

Neither could be "reached"

They never developed past potential

Pride keeps people from developing

I truly hope that Eason grasps his opportunity

If he doenst show a work effort, if he has a "me first" approach...... he wont develop

And

He wont be our franchise QB

I hope he makes it...... but there IS a reason he lasted this long.... lets hope he overcomes

2 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Just needs consistency and time. Same coach, same system and he should be worlds better. But man, what an arm. I don’t think Paris or TY are gonna outrun him on a deep route. 

And humility, and work ethic

The guy needs to show up hungry to learn

First at meetings

Last at practice

Learn the offense, forwards and backwards......

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Try to take the time to watch this. Or at least 10 minutes of it.

It's worrying after redshirting his first season and half way through the second season with Washington, he was still was having trouble with knowing the playbook properly. Some very poor reads in this game (along with some NFL worthy play).

I think he could learn alot from Philip and Jacoby this year on professionalism, preparation, study, work, etc. 

Other stuff like footwork and moving out of the pocket from pressure can be cleaned up with coaching. Accuracy and touch needs some work.

He has quite a bit to go. I can fully understand why Ballard was pouring cold water, straight away, on any franchise QB hype. He has potential though and a great opportunity here. I hope he takes it.

He likes to tuck it to tight spots. He just pulls back and launches.

He has no touch on short passes. He just pulls back and launches.

He doesn't throw an accurate long ball. He just pulls back and launches.

Cannon arm and no finesse. He just pulls back and launches.

He had a receiver or two who couldn't catch

Did I mention he just pulls back and launches?

There’s some really bad red flags with his game. I can understand why Ballard is quick to caution he is not the franchise. 

I have nothing against picking him, because the only way to find the next QB is to bring guys in. I won’t be surprised if we end up drafting another next year. Hey it worked for Arizona right?

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Try to take the time to watch this. Or at least 10 minutes of it.

I watched the whole film. He made the 2 bad reads where he checked down. On the first one the RT did get blown up but still could have made the play. He also made some throws that lacked accuracy or touch.  Also some other things that need cleaning up. 

What I would say in his defense is he made some really good throws. Also his receivers from most of the game provided little separation. IMO , he's a crap shoot as far as being a top 15 QB some day. But I also think his floor might be a good backup which isn't horrible for a middle (#16) of the 4th pick.

One thing that made Rivers so great for a long time is the ability to step into his throws. Eason could learn that sitting behind Rivers. His lack of mobility is a concern of mine as well. In the first video, when he did escape the pocket, he wasn't quick enough to pick up the 1st down with his legs and fumbled the football. 

14 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

One thing that made Rivers so great for a long time is the ability to step into his throws. Eason could learn that sitting behind Rivers. His lack of mobility is a concern of mine as well. In the first video, when he did escape the pocket, he wasn't quick enough to pick up the 1st down with his legs and fumbled the football. 

I'll admit, I haven't watched much video of him yet.   It sounds like mobility is not there at all.  If not there as a rookie, it's not going to come.  But I liked Bernie Kosar.  

I wonder if, with the newer style mobile QB's most teams have, if a true pocket passer could offer an advantage?

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'll admit, I haven't watched much video of him yet.   It sounds like mobility is not there at all.  If not there as a rookie, it's not going to come.  But I liked Bernie Kosar.  

I wonder if, with the newer style mobile QB's most teams have, if a true pocket passer could offer an advantage?

Longevity for one. They’re also able to spread the ball out more efficiently, which usually allows for larger chunk plays. 

It takes some time, but eventually the defense will figure out a mobile quarterback. See: the Titans vs. Lamar Jackson. 

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

I watched the whole film. He made the 2 bad reads where he checked down. On the first one the RT did get blown up but still could have made the play. He also made some throws that lacked accuracy or touch.  Also some other things that need cleaning up. 

What I would say in his defense is he made some really good throws. Also his receivers from most of the game provided little separation. IMO , he's a crap shoot as far as being a top 15 QB some day. But I also think his floor might be a good backup which isn't horrible for a middle (#16) of the 4th pick.

The BYU game was better, but that breakdown is behind a paywall. This is a pretty good game, though. He has some bad ones. But I think there's plenty of good with him, and he has a chance to be a solid NFL QB.

I did take the time and watched the whole video.

I'm certainly not qualified to be a analysis but IMO I didn't see anything I think a pro level QB coach couldn't help him a lot with.

Just improving his footwork will be the main thing. 

Being in a pro training camp will also benefit him immensely. 

Personally I didn't care much for the play calling that was happening at Washington. 

2 hours ago, fahlman said:

He likes to tuck it to tight spots. He just pulls back and launches.

He has no touch on short passes. He just pulls back and launches.

He doesn't throw an accurate long ball. He just pulls back and launches.

Cannon arm and no finesse. He just pulls back and launches.

He had a receiver or two who couldn't catch

Did I mention he just pulls back and launches?

Isn't that what Brett Favre did his whole career? 

4 hours ago, coltsfan_canada said:

wow he is running for his life during all these highlights, and WR are not helping him either with so many drops. I feel behind our OL, and little coaching by Rivers and Reich he will be good. 

Maybe a little coaching by Rivers and Reich but more important is getting coached up by Marcus Brady and Keven Patullo. 

Those are the guys who will be coaching and teaching him about his footwork and the passing game. 

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

To be fair, Favre was an exception and no one should expect to duplicate him.  

Yeah I know but Brett was told he would never make a NFL QB his rookie season. 

Now we have some who think that of Eason. 

Expect the unexpected in the NFL. It's always full of surprises. 

Maybe Eason has a chance to be one of those guys, I don't know but I'm not writing him off just yet. :D

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

Some nice stuff here. But cut out the Reich stuff. Did you not watch Brissett.....never turned him into Dan Marino.

He also never kissed a frog and turned him into a prince.

Lots of work to do. But he has things you can’t teach. One of them being the aggressive attitude that Jacoby lacks.

He should be able to develop here. Jacoby is definitely on his way out either this year or next. If Rivers earns another 1 year extension, Eason could be QB2 by 2021.

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Ya.....Ill disagree with that totally. He has thrown many accurate long passes. 

I think I read that he led the Pac-12, or possibly the nation (?) in most deep passes for the season.  Defined as completetions over 25 yards.

I think the number I remember was 28.   I'll try to double check.

Archived