Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

River to Colts all but done

EastStreet

I can't wait until the deal is finalized.  We'll be in the playoffs with Rivers, especially in this division.  I don't have too many doubts.  He's much better than Brissett and I think he'll prove that as long as we don't ask him to be Peyton and shoulder the whole load. 

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I respect Dakich's opinion on this subject about as much as I'd respect Donald Duck. He never thought Luck was a good QB.

Not true. He just thought Luck was overrated and turned the ball over too much.  Which I agreed with.  Never said he wasn’t good.  Just not elite level.  He is consistent with not being high on Rivers with his penchant for throwing picks last season.  

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Can't be 'official'.  The true FA period (and 1st official day of the 2020 NFL calendar) begins tomorrow afternoon after 4:00 pm.  We are still in the legal tampering period where teams can reach out to player agents, but can't officially make signings.

I think they can 'leak' an unofficial agreements basic terms, but no signatures and official announcements until 3/18/2020 after 4 O'Clock pm EST.

Got it. I thought it was 4 today.  I wonder why the grey period between today at 4pm and tomorrow at 4.

6 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

I feel bad for t.y. He went from a qb that’s Too afraid to throw a deep ball to a noodle arm that can’t throw a deep ball.

Last year Rivers was #3 in attempted air yards, #5 in completed air yards, and #6 in deep ball attempts.

... Not to many noodle arms top 5 in both those stats...

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

I can't wait until the deal is finalized.  We'll be in the playoffs with Rivers, especially in this division.  I don't have too many doubts.  He's much better than Brissett and I think he'll prove that as long as we don't ask him to be Peyton and shoulder the whole load. 

This division isn’t the joke it once was. Titans and Texans both made deep playoff runs. And the Jags are deadly enough to strike us. 

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Got it. I thought it was 4 today.  I wonder why the grey period between today at 4pm and tomorrow at 4.

Legal tampering... gives teams one last shot at a FA while knowing how much his market is

Just now, CR91 said:

Oh snap

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

This division isn’t the joke it once was. Titans and Texans both made deep playoff runs. And the Jags are deadly enough to strike us. 

None of their QBs are better than Rivers outside of Deshaun Watson.     We almost got there with Jacoby if hadn't of folded.  I say we'll be in the playoffs.  And I think thats especially true with all the additions Ballard is making and will make to our DL and WR corps.   I think Rivers will have enough tools to get us there. The O Line already protects well and he gets the ball out of his hand a lot faster than Brissett did and he knows how to move in the pocket.  This is a very good offensive scheme with a guy back there that knows what he's doing.

28 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Guess he won’t need the “Riversmobile” Anymore if we sign him, unless he moves to a rural area outside of I do, which we have an over abundance of! 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/sd-sp-acee-philip-rivers-commute-suv-chargers-0905-story.html%3f_amp=true

Should be dubbed the Philmobile

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Curious what they think they're getting? A late pick?

I think it depends on what they are sending with JB.

Option A...if it's just his base salary ($6M)...I assume Ballard would want at least a mid-round pick (4th or 5th)...maybe more...for a proven backup.

But that doesn't really save any more cap space than just releasing him...where he could possibly get more money and chooise his next spot. In previous seasons, Ballard wouldn't trade JB (when he was cheaper) unless it was the right situation...so it would seem out of character to now sell him out for a middling pick.

BUT...if it's Option B...and they are trying to clear his roster bonus as well...that changes things. Then it becomes a business decision...and it gets far more difficult to oblige JB. It also makes JB less attractive as a trade target. So in the scenario, Ballard might not even be able to get back anything...and in fact...might have to get creative.

I know what I do if I was Ballard...but it remains to be seen what Ballard will do. He appears to not be messing around so far...so I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a strong push for the second option.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

As I sit here, seeing Jeff Darlington's tweet about the Brady market being quietly hot, I do wonder if maybe Ballard isn't re-considering going in that direction. 

Phone 1 (Rivers) : Hi Chris, I'm ready, we got a deal?

Chris : Please hold, got a call coming in.

Phone 2 (Gruden) : Hi Chris, I heard you like my guy Carr. I really like your #34 AND #44.

Chris : Please hold, got a call coming in.

Phone 3 (Brady) : Hey Chris, Adam just called me and told me how nice Indy is. 

Chris: Yup, it's a great town. Great OL too. Quentin Nelson is a big fan of yours.

Phone 2 (forgot to put on hold, Gruden screaming) : Chris, are you talking to Brady? Hey man, I only need a 75. Can you tell Tom to please call me. Please Chris

38 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I know you mean deals can be leaked now.  FA doesn't begin until 1st day of the new NFL 2020 calendar, which is tommorw after 4 pm.

Yes thats what I mean.  

And while I have you on the line as a moderator .  Why in the hell is there a limit on likes?

5 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Yes thats what I mean.  

And while I have you on the line as a moderator .  Why in the hell is there a limit on likes?

Because there are people like you that apparently hand them out like Oprah hands out cars. Likes are precious commodity that are reserved for only the elite posters...they are not to be handed out to the commoners. lol

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Because there are people like you that apparently hand them out like Oprah hands out cars. Likes are precious commodity that are reserved for only the elite posters...they are not to be handed out to the commoners. lol

SEEI NEEDED THE LAUGH EMOJI RIGHT THERE and my gun was empty!!!  HA

7 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

SEEI NEEDED THE LAUGH EMOJI RIGHT THERE and my gun was empty!!!  HA

Basically likes and such add to peoples reputation points. The green number under your profile name. Limiting them keeps people from artificially boosting someone's numbers and influencing their rep on the board. Take SUPERMAN for an example. Guy has basically a like for every post he makes...would say that would show his reputation on the board for people to see when he talks about something.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Basically likes and such add to peoples reputation points. The green number under your profile name. Limiting them keeps people from artificially boosting someone's numbers and influencing their rep on the board.

Is rep like rewards that I can use for airline miles or something?  cash back? Otherwise it seems useless     Maybe I am missing something

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I don't see desperation at all. It's a bridge at worst, and likely will turn out better than most think.

And who are you going to draft at 34?

How would I know who is available at 34 today?  Maybe one trades up depending on how the draft goes. Maybe you tank the season and draft Lawrence next year. Oh too late NE probably is going to do that.

1 minute ago, WifiGuy said:

Is rep like rewards that I can use for airline miles or something?  cash back? Otherwise it seems useless     Maybe I am missing something

lol...yes free Colt's tickets.....no just lets people that look at your profile know how others view your posting habits....more likes more rep...maybe take you more seriously.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

lol...yes free Colt's tickets.....no just lets people that look at your profile know how others view your posting habits....more likes more rep...maybe take you more seriously.

see cant do it again .  So :thmup:

48 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

For what?  (conditional 7th?)  to Who?  Finally, how much of JB's nearly $16 million salary will Colts have to eat to get a trade done? ($5.5 million in bonus is paid and prorated against the Colts cap)

Meh, not like we don’t have the cap space to do just that

6 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

How would I know who is available at 34 today?  Maybe one trades up depending on how the draft goes. Maybe you tank the season and draft Lawrence next year. Oh too late NE probably is going to do that.

I don't see Irsay allowing a tank. 

Point is, the options are what they are. You said draft a QB like there's an obvious option/choice. There is not obvious or clear choice in the draft at this point. They are going after the guy they want who is a known quantity to them right now.

52 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Curious what they think they're getting? A late pick?

I think we could get a 3rd from the Patriots.  They have a lot of 3's because of the comp picks.  We  will just send the base salary of 6M to the Patriots.  A win for both sides I think. 

I'm not worried if we have to carry JB contract for another year. It isn't like we are going to spend all our money this offseason. I wouldn't be surprised with this heavy qb market that the trade offers would be pretty slim. Would make sense for Ballard to do a good gesture for Jacoby since he has been a model citizen for us to just cut him so he can pick his destination.

(Assuming we sign Rivers and draft a backup)

I may be in the minority, but I don't expect that "mentoring" will be part of Rivers' job if he comes here.  All QBs work together to prepare for games and if we have a rookie QB, he'll be right there learning from the coaches and from Rivers.  It's not like Rivers has to sit down and work with the rookie to prepare him or mentor him.

Rivers will be the starter and he'll be here to win games so he can finish his career with success and maybe even a SB win.

The learning will happen naturally as a part of being on the roster.  Rivers wold know that a young QB isn't being drafted to take his job, but drafted to inhereit his job once he's gone.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

For what?  (conditional 7th?)  to Who?  Finally, how much of JB's nearly $16 million salary will Colts have to eat to get a trade done? ($5.5 million in bonus is paid and prorated against the Colts cap)

Probably a 5th and JB for a 7th.

I can't see a team taking his contract without us giving them draft capital along with the player.

Archived