Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lamar Jackson

BleedBlue4Shoe86

12 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Do you stats to understand the breakdown? JB was the worst QB in our division, was ranked 33  out of 34 qbs with only Mitch behind him. Was the worst 4th qtr QB and lead the league in games with under 200 yards and 1 touchdown. He’s not a good qb he is below average. I don’t want a rookie. I want Carr. Only rookie I want is a available 2021.

I want Carr as well, love that idea. Not sure what the Raiders want for him though?

But the QBs job is to pass the ball, not run it.  That's why TN has Tannehill and Henry.

If a D can stop the run with the front 4 plus a couple more, then the secondary can handle coverage.

We've gone through this before.  Kaep, RGIII, Russell Wilson back when he used his legs.  All were considered the next wave of QB.  Of course, Tebow got left out of that media hype.  He was a much tougher runner than all three, but I guess he never made enough throws to be considered more than just a running QB than the others.

9 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Michael Vick without the dogs.

Yup.

Same as RG3's rookie season.

Teams will have tape on him now, let's see if he can keep it up. I doubt he will because those type QB's usually get figured out or inured.

4 minutes ago, IinD said:

Yup.

Same as RG3's rookie season.

Teams will have tape on him now, let's see if he can keep it up. I doubt he will because those type QB's usually get figured out or inured.

vick was never really figured out or seriously injured

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

vick was never really figured out or seriously injured

Vick was a legit phenom. Probably strongest arm ever. If he ever learned to truly be a pocket QB he'd have been an all time great.

I was simply stating mobile QB's who aren't full fledged pocket QB's usually end up getting hurt. Jackson had a great season no doubt, but he'll have to evolve his game to not become a flash in the pan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Lamar had a great season , but after this loss  the talk will be can he win a playoff game ? Remember Andy Dalton or Peyton early in his career. It’s just one of those things that go with high expectations. He’s only a second year QB, but you have to start winning some playoff games. 

This loss is on the D as much as Lamar. They talked tough about stopping Henry and got run all over by him even worse than the Pats. 

IMO Lamar has to learn how to handle adversity, he hasn’t had a lot of it in his career so far, but you could see his frustration last night.. he is young I hope he learns how to deal with it.

4 hours ago, MPStack said:

While I agree, there is absolutely no comparing Lamar and Brissett one bit. 

However, RunMar got exposed yesterday and he’s not going to “Revolutionize” the QB poster , unless he can progress as a passer. A lot of junk time numbers, behind those stats last night. The Titans limited his “strength” which is running, and the Ravens had to play from behind all game. Kudos to both the Bills and Titans. 

I dont believe he will be the greatest thing like everyone else but he could still improve a bit. I was just saying that I'm tired of people comparing JB to superior players lol its annoying even if jackson doesn't improve or even if he gets worse he still has already done more than JB has and probably ever will haha

• Like 3

QB is #1 priority bar none, then take an elite RB since we have an above avg Oline, then focus on the Dline, WR to follow.....I think in this pecking order of importance puts us in playoff.  The only thing now is the coaches need to be creative in their play calling and not being very vanilla.  We got out coach many times in 2019, literally out coach.

6 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Imagine blaming 1 player for the trash pile of a season that was the 2017 Colts.

I think the point was that Jacoby has not improved despite starting 2 full seasons.  His 2017 numbers are very similar to his 2019 numbers.  

Jackson had an incredible season.   36 passing TD's and 7 rushing TD's.  Over 1200 yards rushing.  66% completions.   Bummer for him that the season ended like this.

7 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Imagine blaming 1 player for the trash pile of a season that was the 2017 Colts.

i didnt do that, just said he wasnt very good that year

tbh he has never done much to show he will be more than a 500 QB.  how many games have you watched? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, coltsva said:

IMO, the game was won with the 4th and 1 stops.

The Titans' D-line with Casey and Simmons was balling out there.

Plus, Mark Ingram banged up did affect the Ravens, IMO, as he has better vision than Gus Edwards and Lamar probably trusted him more than Gus Edwards to let him run for the 4th & 1 and not worry about QB sneaking.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Seems to me the difference yesterday was the Titans were better prepared and simply executed their game plan. Good coaches coach good players.

Difference between regular season and postseason, IMO, has always been coaching. Talent on a team is good enough to make it to the postseason but coaching makes its mark in the postseason. To me, that was one of the big reasons for our playoff failures during the Peyton era. We never got that extra tactical advantage or special teams play that I can remember. Just line up and play can only work so much.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:32 PM, runthepost said:

500 total  yards and 1 touchdown. Has that ever happened?

What ever happened? The team loss? Yup.. SB Brady had 505 yards and 5 TDs and lost.. as people say it’s a team game one player can keep it close and help them win but you need the D to stop and or the receivers to catch a well thrown bal in traffic.

Bill O’Brien is the worst. He’s as bad of a coach as somebody like Mike Zimmer or Jim Mora is a good coach. They’re the same shoes on separate feet. Bill has won with raw talent and big plays. Zimmer has won with less talent and practice and he’s always gone a bit farther while the Madden playing jock is left standing there looking shell shocked. 

I threw Mora in there so that you could see the drawback. Tons of winning seasons and no rings, even though some of their winning seasons were virtually impossible. That’s a different can or worms though. I can’t believe some people want Zimmer fired. Granted he may win as many rings as Mora but I wouldn’t pull the trigger yet.

Admittedly, I never watched Lamar during this mvp season of his, but watching him in the divisional game vs the Titans, I just didn’t see a passer that I thought was very good.  

Sure, he was fantastic at scrambling and the like, but based on this one game I saw a typical scrambling QB that you have to question how he will hold up and how his passing ability will hold up in big games when it counts.  

More info required, but I am dubious. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 10:24 AM, BloodyChamp said:

Alright, so it was Archie Manning’s fault in New Orleans then? Tannehill’s in Miami? Young in Tampa Bay? Come on guys I know it was a frustrating season but ya’ll are better than this.

The point isn't that he's to blame for the season - 2017 or 2019.  The point is, the problems he had in 2017 are the same problems he's had in 2019 and shows little improvement.  He still locks on to his primary reads and takes too long to decipher defenses.  He's quick to check down.  His long ball accuracy is just bad, but his accuracy in general is not that great.  The problems he's had in college have migrated to the NFL and it was on full display in 2017 and then again in 2019.  

It's not about assigning blame.  It's about identifying part of the problem and addressing it going forward.  And in the two years as a starter here without Luck in the picture, Brisset has made a better case to the Colts that he's just a good backup (meaning Colts should find a replacement via the draft) than he has made a case for himself, proving he is a legitimate NFL starting quarterback.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The point isn't that he's to blame for the season - 2017 or 2019.  The point is, the problems he had in 2017 are the same problems he's had in 2019 and shows little improvement.  He still locks on to his primary reads and takes too long to decipher defenses.  He's quick to check down.  His long ball accuracy is just bad, but his accuracy in general is not that great.  The problems he's had in college have migrated to the NFL and it was on full display in 2017 and then again in 2019.  

It's not about assigning blame.  It's about identifying part of the problem and addressing it going forward.  And in the two years as a starter here without Luck in the picture, Brisset has made a better case to the Colts that he's just a good backup (meaning Colts should find a replacement via the draft) than he has made a case for himself, proving he is a legitimate NFL starting quarterback.

Great post.   I feel the same.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Admittedly, I never watched Lamar during this mvp season of his, but watching him in the divisional game vs the Titans, I just didn’t see a passer that I thought was very good.  

Sure, he was fantastic at scrambling and the like, but based on this one game I saw a typical scrambling QB that you have to question how he will hold up and how his passing ability will hold up in big games when it counts.  

I can understand your view.   However, he has shown to be a pretty good passer.   I've watched a couple of his games.  

I'm usually waiting for him to get hurt.   He handles so many of the offensive plays, I feel it is a matter of time.  

Lamar was great all season passing and rushing. He just took 3 weeks off. Come on, nothing to see here we've seen that story play out a few times. 

Resting starters for too long just doesn't seem like a good idea anymore. Play a little than come out towards to end. The ravens had too much time off and couldn't recover

On 1/14/2020 at 10:31 AM, rockywoj said:

i watched him, he was great this year.  lead the league in passing Tds, it was no fluke

his receivers had a few drops in the playoffs it wasnt their best game

On 1/13/2020 at 10:24 AM, BloodyChamp said:

Alright, so it was Archie Manning’s fault in New Orleans then? Tannehill’s in Miami? Young in Tampa Bay? Come on guys I know it was a frustrating season but ya’ll are better than this.

hes hasnt done much to show hes a franchise QB.  hes shown he cant produce with a good line and running game.  slow to make reads, misses wide open receivers, has little production overall

what do you see in jacoby?

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 12:58 AM, BloodyChamp said:

He improved vastly this season. Was it what a SB bound QB should be? No way, but don’t pretend to be blind.

Not sure what you were watching...at this point in time, he's a good backup and no more. He'll get his shot to show improvement, which I don't think his chances are good  since he's had the same deficiencies to his game dating back to 2017.  But you will get his chance since even if we draft a quarterback hes not likely to start at least to begin the season.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 12:58 AM, BloodyChamp said:

He improved vastly this season. Was it what a SB bound QB should be? No way, but don’t pretend to be blind.

I'm also  curious what makes you say that.  The stats do show a little improvement, but that is comparing a horrible O-line and a great O-line.  His flaws have not improved though.  

The time he holds the ball negates having a great O-line to a point.  His inability to read the field makes it odd that he still holds the ball so long.   Not sure what he is doing.  Other QB's read most of the field and still throw the ball quicker than Brissett and 1-2 reads.   

But this is the Lamar Jackson thread, so I will get back to him.   

If he stays healthy, they will win 11-13 games each season.  His throwing isn't bad and he IS still improving.  His QB rating increased quite a bit in the second half of the season.  He's got a bigger and stronger body than RG3 and other often injured runners, but he is still at risk.