Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you take Fromm at 34?

Assuming Fromm comes out, would you take him at 34? Do you think he’ll be there? 
   From everything I’ve read, he doesn’t have the strongest arm but the same could be said for Brees. 
   And he’s not a great athlete, in terms of running but has a strong pocket awareness, can see the whole field and is poised in the pocket.

I know the trend nowadays is for guys like Mahomes and Jackson but long-term, give me an accurate cerebral QB.

Arm strength can be developed to a point. He is a junior so I’m not sure if he’s staying for his senior year.

Thoughts?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/11/10/2020-nfl-draft-jake-from-scouting-report-georgia/amp/

I would probably pass on that. A lot of things have to go right for him to turn into anything more than a solid game manager(i.e. Brady/Brees). He lacks the arm, playmaking ability and most importantly pocket presence to be a high level player IMO. 

If it's just ability he's a 3rd rounder at best, just too much of a project. But the position he plays and the need tells me he'll be a 1st rounder. I would make it a HARD PASS on him. If anything I'd trade down and get Eason, but something tells me that he'll end up as a first rounder too.

No doubt, the Georgia offense hurt him.  Ran the ball too much.  Never allowed Fromm to get into a rhythm.

Looks like he can move the ball downfield in the 2 minute drill maybe better than all of the other college QBs coming out.  They seem to rely on the lucky extend the play and find a receiver in the zone type of play.  Nothing, nothing , then a scramble to connect on a 30 yarder.

Looks like he can move better than what has been asked of him.

I think he would be a good QB for an offense with a strong pocket forming oline and running game, with chain moving philosophy but with ability to move the offense into field goal position with 40 seconds and 2 time outs.

I wouldn't argue if we did.

He looked pretty accurate last night.

He appears to be similar to JB in that, right now, his sweet spot is short to medium, but he appears more accurate, and with more touch.

His long accuracy needs work.

But, he's less mobile, and doesn't seem as rushed in the pocket.

That's my first observance of him, though, so a small sample size.

IF (big if) he is drafted to the right team, i think Fromm could actually end up being the best QB in this year's draft.  He has beaten out several other QBs for that job in Georgia, and like others have said, i feel their offensive scheme has held him back in similar ways that Oregon has held back Herbert

A lot of the same "CONS" for Fromm were what we were told about Peyton Manning, coming out of Tennessee, also (for those not old enough to remember)...the "experts" touted Ryan Leaf because of his great arm talent/deep passing ability...and we know how that worked out.

With all of that said, i would definitely take Fromm with #34 if he is even still there (wouldnt shock me if someone like NE took him at the end of the first, to be honest).

• Like 2

Fromm strikes me as the kind of guy whose biggest strength is his charisma to tell the rest of the team "C'mon guys!  Let's go do the impossible!"

You can find that similar trait in NFL QB's like Watson, Mayfield, Foles, and Fitzpatrick.  And all four of them have very different career arcs.

Thus, yes, you could strike magic with your pick of Fromm, but it could also blow up in your face.  I'm both intrigued and frightened of picking him.

2 hours ago, Gigc said:

In a heartbeat. 

I honestly don't understand all the Fromm animus. He looks and plays like an NFL quarterback even if the Georgia offense doesn't really help him. 

I think physicality and big plays from the QBs extending the play has become the recent fashion.  He doesn't have physicality and hasn't really displayed much in extending the play with his legs. 

I think he's actually pretty far advanced mentally; learned the old school way of throwing the ball away if the play isn't there rather than trying to extend it....where bad things can happen. 

I don't know about drafting him.  But if we do, half the board is going to explode and I think that would be an overreaction.

11 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Fromm strikes me as the kind of guy whose biggest strength is his charisma to tell the rest of the team "C'mon guys!  Let's go do the impossible!"

You can find that similar trait in NFL QB's like Watson, Mayfield, Foles, and Fitzpatrick.  And all four of them have very different career arcs.

Thus, yes, you could strike magic with your pick of Fromm, but it could also blow up in your face.  I'm both intrigued and frightened of picking him.

He looks to me like he has the ability to consistently move the offense down the field in 40 seconds and 2 time outs, like how NFL coaches plan to do.  I don't think Kirby Smart ever really asked him to do that.  He's the kind of coach that would call two running plays, then try a long pass on third down, then head to the locker room to regroup.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think physicality and big plays from the QBs extending the play has become the recent fashion.  He doesn't have physicality and hasn't really displayed much in extending the play with his legs. 

I think he's actually pretty far advanced mentally; learned the old school way of throwing the ball away if the play isn't there rather than trying to extend it....where bad things can happen. 

I don't know about drafting him.  But if we do, half the board is going to explode and I think that would be an overreaction.

I won't explode but I would rather stick with JB than draft him lmao 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I won't explode but I would rather stick with JB than draft him lmao 

No way.  Fromm today is better than JB.  Fromm may not be picture perfect in hitting deep receivers in stride, but JB can't hit them at all.

Fromm strikes me as a guy who has been underutilized by system.  Not challenged enough to get better.  He may blossom in the NFL.  I could be wrong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No way.  Fromm today is better than JB.  Fromm may not be picture perfect in hitting deep receivers in stride, but JB can't hit them at all.

Fromm strikes me as a guy who has been underutilized by system.  Not challenged enough to get better.  He may blossom in the NFL.  I could be wrong.

I feel the same way. Could very well be wrong, but i think he could be very good in the NFL. Put him on the Colts with our o-line and running game, add some play makers at WR/TE and let him go to work!

If you go back and read the pre-draft scouting report on Drew Brees and compare it to the one now on Jake Fromm, they're nearly identical.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I feel the same way. Could very well be wrong, but i think he could be very good in the NFL. Put him on the Colts with our o-line and running game, add some play makers at WR/TE and let him go to work!

If you go back and read the pre-draft scouting report on Drew Brees and compare it to the one now on Jake Fromm, they're nearly identical.

I could be wrong, but I think of passing accuracy like a golf swing.  You have to do it enough and get into rhythm.  Once in a while isn't good enough.  It just seems to me that whenever it looked like Georgia could get something going via the pass, Kirby Smart's OC stifled that momentum by calling two off tackle running plays.

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I could be wrong, but I think of passing accuracy like a golf swing.  You have to do it enough and get into rhythm.  Once in a while isn't good enough.  It just seems to me that whenever it looked like Georgia could get something going via the pass, Kirby Smart's OC stifled that momentum by calling two off tackle running plays.

If we could get a top WR or DT with our #13 and then Fromm with #34, I would be a happy camper...then with the rest of the draft, just take BPA... 

If by some miracle we could get A. Cooper and a top DT in FA (Jones or Armstead), then i'd go BPA the entire draft and be thrilled to get Fromm at #34! 

• Like 1

I haven’t done much scouting of Fromm yet, but as it stands just looking at his profile, I’d much rather have Eason. Eason has very similar accuracy and a much better arm. Reminds me of Big Ben, a big QB who can take a hit in the pocket and break a sack, but isn’t the biggest threat to run. As others have said, Fromm, from his reports, sounds like Brisset. I’ll have to check the tape, but as it stands Eason would be my favorite choice there, even if Love also fell that far

On 1/2/2020 at 3:53 PM, coltsblue1844 said:

Almost everyone in here seems to think everyone would be better than JB, that is the problem. That is false. If we drafted Donald Duck at this point, 80% of the forum would jump for joy. This team could've easily been 9-7 or 10-6 had it not been for injuries and a poor kicking game. If we just beat the Dolphins and the Jags we finish 9-7 and are the 6th seed. 

We need an upgrade at QB but need to choose the right QB, not just anyone.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He isn't the answer. JMO

I don’t want him either. Everything I read talks about him being risk adverse. Where have we heard that. He did make some pretty throws in his bowl game. He also missed some deep balls with inaccuracy. I can see though why some teams might be attracted to him. I would be perfectly fine if he went before love because that means we can take love if ballard likes him.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t want him either. Everything I read talks about him being risk adverse. Where have we heard that. He did make some pretty throws in his bowl game. He also missed some deep balls with inaccuracy. I can see though why some teams might be attracted to him. I would be perfectly fine if he went before love because that means we can take love if ballard likes him.

I am sure Ballard won't take Fromm. If he does then I am missing something lmao .

46 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Oh I don’t want him.  But teams will be very interested with that resume. 

My prediction, 3rd round. May sneak into 2nd.

The resume on its own looks decent. Dig in and look at in-game performance against good competition, and at the talent surrounding him, and not near as impressive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2020 at 4:45 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Almost everyone in here seems to think everyone would be better than JB, that is the problem. That is false. If we drafted Donald Duck at this point, 80% of the forum would jump for joy. This team could've easily been 9-7 or 10-6 had it not been for injuries and a poor kicking game. If we just beat the Dolphins and the Jags we finish 9-7 and are the 6th seed. 

We need an upgrade at QB but need to choose the right QB, not just anyone.

To be fair... Donald Duck at QB would definitely put butts in the seats.  I'd definitely make the trip to see the season opener (or even preseason) to see that.

On 1/2/2020 at 8:37 AM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I wouldn't take Fromm at 234. 

He's basically Jacoby Brissett, but I honestly think Jacoby is better. Game managers. He's had incredible talent around him at Georgia and still hasn't been able to put up impressive numbers, the best thing about him is that he just doesn't turn the ball over...sound familiar?

Not at 234??????

:) 

To me he is a 3rd round guy who will go in round 2 as teams play the QB lotto

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 8:24 AM, coltsfeva said:

Assuming Fromm comes out, would you take him at 34? Do you think he’ll be there? 
   From everything I’ve read, he doesn’t have the strongest arm but the same could be said for Brees. 
   And he’s not a great athlete, in terms of running but has a strong pocket awareness, can see the whole field and is poised in the pocket.

I know the trend nowadays is for guys like Mahomes and Jackson but long-term, give me an accurate cerebral QB.

Arm strength can be developed to a point. He is a junior so I’m not sure if he’s staying for his senior year.

Thoughts?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/11/10/2020-nfl-draft-jake-from-scouting-report-georgia/amp/

I would draft him.  I think he is the kind of qb Reich wants

Here is a quick breakdown of the 4 qbs Reich has recently worked with in terms of completions, attempts, interceptions, completion %.

Luck             288     404         10        71.3%

Brissett         237     395         6          60%

Foles              387    560         14         69.1%

Wentz            130    208         4           62.5%

Burrow         371      478        6           77.6%

Huntley         270      301       4            73%

Gordon          493      687       16          71.8%

Tua                  180     352       3            71.4%

Hurts              237      340       8            69.7%

Herbert           286      428      6             66.8%

Ehlinger          296      454      10           65.2%

Eason               260      405      8             64.2%

Love                 293      473      17           61.9%

Fromm            234       385      5             60.8%

Notable NFL QB College Stats (all these stats are senior year stats)

Wilson             225        309       4            72.8%

Mahomes        388        591     10           65.7%

Brady               180         295     6             61%

Brees                309         512     12           60.4%

Manning          287         477    11           60.2%

Takeaways?

My take away = total crapshoot.