Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you take Fromm at 34?

I don’t know if it has any revelance. I wonder if accuracy numbers can be all over the place for kids in college because they have weapons coming and going all the time. Some leave early. I would think when they go to the nfl that with a more steady group of weapons maybe it would improve a lot.  Just a thought. Don’t know if it’s even relevant.

I would take Fromm at 34 in a second.  Last year he had like 30 TDs.  This year they ran more of a run offense and lost receivers so everyone is calling him a game manager.  But what I see a very decisive, accurate passer.  I think he is already 5x the QB Brissett is.  He is also the kind of QB that Reich would like because he is smart and accurate.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 3:45 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Almost everyone in here seems to think everyone would be better than JB, that is the problem. That is false. If we drafted Donald Duck at this point, 80% of the forum would jump for joy. This team could've easily been 9-7 or 10-6 had it not been for injuries and a poor kicking game. If we just beat the Dolphins and the Jags we finish 9-7 and are the 6th seed. 

We need an upgrade at QB but need to choose the right QB, not just anyone.

For what it is worth, I think Donald Duck would be a better QB than Brissett ;)

Curiously enough, Fromm and Btissett had almost identical numbers their last year in college, but Fromm did have a 67% completion rate his sophomore year.  Regardless, the top 10 qbs in this year’s draft have a higher completion percentage than Brissett did his last year in college.

I think Huntley compares closely to Russell Wilson.  Maybe he is worth a shot in the 4th if he is still there.  Or Gordon from WSU.  

Tannehill and Cousins have just proven that a change of scenery can do a slumping veteran a lot of good.  Ballard and Reich need to figure out who that stop gap qb will be.  Manning, Dalton, Carr, Newton, Brady, or whoever.  Anyone but Brissett.

• Like 1

I was watching some analysts on Fromm

They think his arm strength is not good enough.

He had a fantastic OL, and all day to throw

60% completion rate is lower than the most of the other QBs coming out

Does that 60% increase, or decrease when he goes to the NFL?

Put me in the PASS category

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I was watching some analysts on Fromm

They think his arm strength is not good enough.

He had a fantastic OL, and all day to throw

60% completion rate is lower than the most of the other QBs coming out

Does that 60% increase, or decrease when he goes to the NFL?

Put me in the PASS category

I'm not a big Fromm advocate, but most of the other Qbs coming out played against terrible defenses and in more of a spread offense where pitch and catch happens by design.

He needs to be accurate though.

23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm not a big Fromm advocate, but most of the other Qbs coming out played against terrible defenses and in more of a spread offense where pitch and catch happens by design.

He needs to be accurate though.

I think Burrows and Tua dont fit that comment as much

They played against the SEC which has some excellent defenses

But...... your point should be considered as Herbert and Hurts others played against some weak defenses in their conference

Fromm played in a "run first" offense that should give some accurate play action plays

According to at least one team of analysts, he doesnt have accuracy on mid to deep balls (Which could be the reason for lower percentage), and may be tied to arm strength

Burrows and Tua got their higher accuracy numbers with deep balls as well.

I am not trying to say Fromm is a bum......  I just think we can do better

11 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Big arm, good legs, agility.  Those are all that's needed in the new NFL.  Don't worry - be happy.

They have said that since Randall Cunningham came into the NFL.  They claim the position has changed.  Yet, in the end, it is almost always like guys like Manning, Brady, Warner, Flacco that win the Super Bowl.  Sure, Mahomes, Wilson, and Jackson are doing well right now, but I will always defer to someone who is an accurate thrower from the pocket who can read defenses.  If they are mobile, that is a bonus.  That is why guys like Jordan Love scare me.  He has a big arm and is very mobile, but he is also a turnover machine.  He is a more mobile Jameis Winston.  People on here think he is another Mahomes and I don't get that.  Herbert worries me because he can be incredibly inaccurate at times.  But every year QBs are taken in the first round who are big, strong guys with big arms that a team thinks they can develop. And it mostly fails.  Guys usually don't get more accurate coming into the NFL.

• Like 3

The word on Manning was he had a noodle arm.

Heck, even Andrew Luck supposedly had a 'weak' arm according to some which is why when he threw over 70yds in his pre-combine workout, there was all that hoopla.

From what I've heard about Fromm from those who saw him throw in high school, he can fling the ball down field just fine. So, is it Georgia's chosen offense or what?

I'll take field vision over arm strength everyday. Brissett doesn't see the field and hesitates, is that same with Fromm? His field vision is excellent, arm strength is fine (good enough), if he pulls the trigger when he needs to, he's got a chance to be the best QB from this class. 

• Like 1

With all the above said, it's worrying that Fromm passed for over 300yds only once or twice at GA. Not a good precedent and maybe validates the whole arm question.

We don't know. Crap shoot.

Safer bet would be to go with Tua even with the injury worries. 

31 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I wouldn't take Fromm even if the Patriots gave the Colts one of their first rounders next year. 

based on what?

i've watched him play. I don't know if his arm is strong enough. We'll get a better idea of that at the combine and in workouts.

but he plays like a GOOD pro qb. sees the field, works through progressions fast and doesn't panic.

11 hours ago, Gigc said:

based on what?

i've watched him play. I don't know if his arm is strong enough. We'll get a better idea of that at the combine and in workouts.

but he plays like a GOOD pro qb. sees the field, works through progressions fast and doesn't panic.

I've watched him a ton as well and seriously wonder if people actually watched him, not just highlights, when bringing his name up. His passing mechanics need help, as he tends to throw off his back foot a lot. People rave about his completion %, BUT he was literally under 50% the last 5 weeks of the season in an offense that doesn't ask him to take many risks. Woohoo he had a great game against Baylor.. Also, his completion % against the better teams in conference and top25 overall take a significant dip, which I find unacceptable for a guy surrounded by 5 star talent on the OL and skill slots, and again, a HIGH % of his throws are fringe intermediate and shorter. Kirby leaned more on DeAndre Swift and the running game than Fromm, and that tells me all I need to know. As I've stated multiple times on this subject, if Justin Fields were still there they don't lose to SC and I guarantee they don't get blown out by LSU. 

In all honesty, I'd think about him in the 3rd at the earliest, but no way before then.  

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 2:32 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t know if it has any revelance. I wonder if accuracy numbers can be all over the place for kids in college because they have weapons coming and going all the time. Some leave early. I would think when they go to the nfl that with a more steady group of weapons maybe it would improve a lot.  Just a thought. Don’t know if it’s even relevant.

I'd like to see more specific information on this accuracy criticism.  Not stats, but real facts.

He seems to know how to throw the back shoulder pass to a covered receiver along the sidelines, you can't just throw that in the area.  And he throws a nice fade or corner route.

Is it just the deep middle?  That's not the be-all and end-all thing to look at with a QB.

From Tua's summary on accuracy.

Back in 2018, he (Tua) had the highest percentage of passes charted with perfect ball placement of any Power-5 quarterback. Yes, higher than number one pick Kyler Murray. Joe Burrow and Jake Fromm bested him in that regard this season, but Tagovailoa was still elite from an accuracy standpoint in 2019. 

Yeah, I didn't get Fromm's lack of accuracy statements.  During the three Georgia games I watched while having beer and nachos, he seemed to have good ball placement and accuracy where it mattered, but maybe not deep down field.

On 1/3/2020 at 5:45 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Almost everyone in here seems to think everyone would be better than JB, that is the problem. That is false. If we drafted Donald Duck at this point, 80% of the forum would jump for joyThis team could've easily been 9-7 or 10-6 had it not been for injuries and a poor kicking game. If we just beat the Dolphins and the Jags we finish 9-7 and are the 6th seed. 

We need an upgrade at QB but need to choose the right QB, not just anyone.

Here we go again! IF   IF   IF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If arm strength is an issue, it is one trait that can be improved, and has been historically with college QBs, once they get into the NFL.

I originally posted this with the idea of him being there at 34. He may not even be there at 13.

Too many want a one hit wonder...one great year and they want them...I'll take someone who has been a consistent winner. Same knock on Fromm that they knocked on Brees at Purdue, difference is Georgia is a run first team and Purdue when Brees was there was basketball on grass. I like Fromm, could be a great pro.

Fromm is the QB I want most... I think he will have a great NFL career. He is like Manning and unlike Luck in that he eats/sleeps/breathes football.  His only "knock" is arm strength...Manning and Luck both had the same "knock" coming out of college.  He is super accurate, can go through his reads presnap and after the snap and has confidence in himself.  

He has been held back by a Georgia offense that is "run first/smash mouth football"...he will thrive in the NFL.

If we can take him at #34, then we could take the best WR or DT available at #13 and then just go BPA after those two picks.

If i were a GM, i would go with Fromm at #34 and be happy... a lot of the other guys may have a higher ceiling, but also have MUCH higher bust potential.

30 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Fromm is the QB I want most... I think he will have a great NFL career. He is like Manning and unlike Luck in that he eats/sleeps/breathes football.  His only "knock" is arm strength...Manning and Luck both had the same "knock" coming out of college.  He is super accurate, can go through his reads presnap and after the snap and has confidence in himself.  

He has been held back by a Georgia offense that is "run first/smash mouth football"...he will thrive in the NFL.

If we can take him at #34, then we could take the best WR or DT available at #13 and then just go BPA after those two picks.

If i were a GM, i would go with Fromm at #34 and be happy... a lot of the other guys may have a higher ceiling, but also have MUCH higher bust potential.

I'm warming up to him a little.  Still like the bigger guys Herbert and Eason better at this point.

Fromm may not get past New Orleans.  Not that he's strongly round 1 material, but he'll be gone by their round 2 pick, IMO..

On 1/2/2020 at 9:37 AM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I wouldn't take Fromm at 234. 

He's basically Jacoby Brissett, but I honestly think Jacoby is better. Game managers. He's had incredible talent around him at Georgia and still hasn't been able to put up impressive numbers, the best thing about him is that he just doesn't turn the ball over...sound familiar?

He isn't any better than Brissett but the gap isn't as far apart as you might think Jacoby blows and nothing will change that.

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

His mental processing and ability to throw with anticipation and placement.

I'm confused, does Mr. Brugler cover the NFL, and does he realize that those things are the far and away most important attributes in a QB?

Those are the attributes that made Manning, Brady, and Brees great? LOL.

Does Bortles, Dalton, and Cousins have those attributes, or do they stink at those things?

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

His mental processing and ability to throw with anticipation and placement.

I'm confused, does Mr. Brugler cover the NFL, and does he realize that those things are the far and away most important attributes in a QB?

Those are the attributes that made Manning, Brady, or Brees great? LOL.

Does Bortles, Dalton, and Cousins have those attributes, or do they stink at those things?

The Bortles, Dalton, Cousins comparisons are from another person that's asking a quesiton, not from Brugler. 

The problem with Fromm is that he has quite possibly the QB with the worst pocket presence in the draft. He's a statue in the pocket. That's where he falls short in comparison to the greats you listed. This will IMO hinder his ability to show off his anticipation and accuracy, which IMO he has on the short to intermediate range. The other limitation is that he doesn't have the armstrength of the other QBs in the draft and can't really playamake out of structure. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'm warming up to him a little.  Still like the bigger guys Herbert and Eason better at this point.

Fromm may not get past New Orleans.  Not that he's strongly round 1 material, but he'll be gone by their round 2 pick, IMO..

Fromm is listed at 6'2" 220lbs... so the same size as Aaron Rodgers, wich is far from "small"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Fromm is listed at 6'2" 220lbs... so the same size as Aaron Rodgers, wich is far from "small"

Looks smaller than that on the field.  Combine will tell.

Having said that, I think he moves better than what he has been asked to do.  He has probably been coached to stay in the pocket as long as possible to see what comes open.  Not that he's a runner, but he's not a statue either.

30 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

I liked Fromm early in his career. To me he seems to regressed not progressed which I thought he would. Hard pass! 

I didn't follow him early, and have only seen his big games this year. 

One thing I would ask, where has his receivers and TEs been drafted in tha past few years?  Look at Tua, he has Juedy, Ruggs, and DaVontae Smith (who is returning to school).  Arguably, Tua's three down the field receivers could all go in the top 60 this year.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I didn't follow him early, and have only seen his big games this year. 

One thing I would ask, where has his receivers and TEs been drafted in tha past few years?  Look at Tua, he has Juedy, Ruggs, and DaVontae Smith (who is returning to school).  Arguably, Tua's three down the field receivers could all go in the top 60 this year.

True, I believe Mims was drafted late by the Bears last year and played OK. I liked him. On the other hand Georgia gets a lot of fantastic athletes and should provide him with enough weapons!?!?