Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rapport: Colts expected to be in QB Market after talks with irsay

csmopar

"Going into the offeason, we have to proceed as if Andrew is officially retired," owner Jim Irsay told NFL.com recently. "So that's how we operate now".

That's a pretty interesting quote.  One thing is certain, if he wants to play, they would welcome him back and Luck would have his job back in a second.

6 minutes ago, #12. said:

"Going into the offeason, we have to proceed as if Andrew is officially retired," owner Jim Irsay told NFL.com recently. "So that's how we operate now".

That's a pretty interesting quote.  One thing is certain, if he wants to play, they would welcome him back and Luck would have his job back in a second.

I don’t think Luck will be back, but Irsay discussing the QB position is reassuring. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, #12. said:

I agree that Andrew would be welcomed back with open arms. I also understand Irsay’s approach since you can’t hold out hope that he returns.

This is speculation on my part but I think he has had conversations with Andrew during the season so far and he doesn’t anticipate Andrew coming back this offseason but might leave the door open for after that.

it would certainly make for an interesting scenario if the Colts draft a QB this offseason and then Andrew comes back somewhere down the road.

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

50/50 Andrew comes back IMO. It is a guess but playing Mr Mom for a while gets old. He is probably 100% healthy as well. Also he has to miss the game, he played it his whole life. The organization loves him too. The players on the team would welcome him back easily. TY would probably feel like a kid in a candy store.

I hope your right ,IMO he is done .

Irsay has picked up on the fan-bases dislike for JB, and how the base will blame JB for everything that's wrong with the Colts.  Once a new QB is secured, the fans will begin being more objective and patient again.  Unless they expect the new rookie QB to take them to the SB within 3 years, LOL.

Trading for David Carr would probably make the most sense, considering the way the fans run hot and cold so quickly and expect the QB to carry the other 52 players.

Edit:  Okay smart-guys.....Derek.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Irsay has picked up on the fan-bases dislike for JB, and how the base will blame JB for everything that's wrong with the Colts.  Once a new QB is secured, the fans will begin being more objective and patient again.  Unless they expect the new rookie QB to take them to the SB within 3 years, LOL.

Trading for David Carr would probably make the most sense, considering the way the fans run hot and cold so quickly.

I personally would rather have Derek Carr, David is really rusty and old. :thmup: Agree with you about Brissett and Irsay.

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Trading for David Carr would probably make the most sense, considering the way the fans run hot and cold so quickly and expect the QB to carry the other 52 players.

David has worked hard to improve the last 8 years since he has been out of the NFL. Lets hope he improved.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That tells me that irsay is probably going to demand ballard draft a QB. I would rather draft our future then going after a FA.

Yeah, I don’t see that happening at ALL.  By all reports, Irsay stays out of the drafting decisions. That’s been one thing former personnel managers and GMs have stated repeatedly. He will be in the know, but he won’t be putting demands or making decisions

• Like 1

I am not at all surprised that Irsay is not heavily involved in these QB discussions. Been saying all along that the boring offense we have had all year was going to effect attendance  and Irsay was not going to set back and let that happen. Attendance and ticket revenue makes the world go around 

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You never know if a FA QB is going to work. We might as well just go try and get our guy in the draft.

But you gotta do it smartly. Trading the entire future like the Redskins did, will set a franchise back 10 years. 

• Like 1

With Andrew, at this point I just kind of take him for face value and we'll see what happens because only he can decide," Irsay said. "From talking to Andrew, we have to take him at face value for what he says. So (general manager) Chris Ballard and I and (coach) Frank Reich, we have to move forward. And we are with Jacoby and the next draft and thereafter."

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

With Andrew, at this point I just kind of take him for face value and we'll see what happens because only he can decide," Irsay said. "From talking to Andrew, we have to take him at face value for what he says. So (general manager) Chris Ballard and I and (coach) Frank Reich, we have to move forward. And we are with Jacoby and the next draft and thereafter."

That probably means he's remaining on the team (most likely as a backup). I still believe we'll draft a QB. If not, Irsay deserves whatever he gets attendance-wise next year.

30 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

I am not at all surprised that Irsay is not heavily involved in these QB discussions. Been saying all along that the boring offense we have had all year was going to effect attendance  and Irsay was not going to set back and let that happen. Attendance and ticket revenue makes the world go around 

Wait.... So, you are not surprised Irsay is hands off and doesn't interfere with management.... Because you just knew he'd see attendance dip and wouldn't stand by and let that happen?

Yeah, that makes sense.. lol

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That probably means he's remaining on the team (most likely as a backup). I still believe we'll draft a QB. If not, Irsay deserves whatever he gets attendance-wise next year.

What I take from it is they don’t know what their options will be. No one knows if a guy will fall to them or be there in the draft. So right now they have to roll with what they have.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Same old Gruden. Swoops in and starts going through QBs like they are a dime a dozen. He wants a Manning type. Good luck with that.

On a positive note TUA might be a good for them if still there.

I like how Irsay isn’t going to beg Luck to come back. This has to be something he wants to do.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What I take from it is they don’t know what their options will be. No one knows if a guy will fall to them or be there in the draft. So right now they have to roll with what they have.

Yep. Not only do we not know our final draft position yet, there's still pro days and the combine as well. Interviews could affect things (especially Love with the Mariquana incident). We also don't want to tip our hand as well. However, I think it is obvious  Brissett is getting replaced in some shape or form.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I completely agree with you. He is not tipping his hand or committing either way. He says they move forward with Jacoby and see what the draft holds. 

I still stand by that they believe in Jacoby and are way more committed to him than anyone realizes. 

But great answer by Irsay

• Like 3

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Yeah, I don’t see that happening at ALL.  By all reports, Irsay stays out of the drafting decisions. That’s been one thing former personnel managers and GMs have stated repeatedly. He will be in the know, but he won’t be putting demands or making decisions

nvm

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would cry if they skip a QB in the draft for either of them. No one even knows if cam is healthy. To give up assets for him would be very bad.

Well we aren’t getting any of the top 3 qbs and would rather wait for the better qb prospects of next year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Irsay is not Involved in 95% of all decisions. But when it comes to the QB irsay doesn't mess around and will put his foot down. 

I would say he approves the HC, and says when to go after a QB. 

If Luck wants that job back, he could have it. People "moving on" is irrelevant. Assumed that was the case. JB probably plays next season too which is what it is, but that could be a continuation of whatever it is that's happening now.

I'm thinking 2024 is our year! Sigh..

Just now, runthepost said:

Well we aren’t getting any of the top 3 qbs and would rather wait for the better qb prospects of next year.

The only way I would be ok is if we  missed out on a guy they wanted in the draft. The guy couldn’t even throw the games he did play this year. There is more then 3 QB this draft.