Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rapport: Colts expected to be in QB Market after talks with irsay

csmopar

Tried to post a link but it didnt work. Sorry. 
Colts.com and Profootballtalk both posted videos about this. 

Basically Nick S. had a presser and said Jacobys knee issue affected his footwork that led to accuracy issues. They fully support him. It looks like they may be positioning themselves for JB as the starter next year which we pretty much assumed.

16 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

When you never see the open man, after two full years starting, i dont think that will change... if you read the scouting report on him coming out of college, it is exactly the same as his scouting report would read today...so in other words, he has been in the league for multiple seasons and not improved upon any of this

Exactly.   There has been no improvement in the basic fundamentals.   He still reads the field poorly.  

I was pro Jacoby early in the season when many were not.  After watching him this season, it is obvious that his ceiling is pretty low.  

15 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I really like this. I am a big JB Supporter and find it insanse how some Colts fans have almost relished in his shortcomings this year and actively rooted against him. 

I think you confuse concern with relishing.     

It is OK to be concerned about a players shortcomings.  

Are you concerned about Hunt's inability to get pressure on the opposing QB this year?   Or are you relishing in his shortcomings?

• Like 1

It is hard to improve without consistency in coaching. I looked back over his college and pro career. In 4 years in college he had the same OC for 2 years at NC state, Matt Canada, who actually got a better job after coaching JB. Once he arrived at the pros he had McDaniels, Chudzinski and now Reich. I believe he has had 6 different OCs in 8 years since college. 

• Like 1

Just now, Myles said:

I think you confuse concern with relishing.     

It is OK to be concerned about a players shortcomings.  

Are you concerned about Hunt's inability to get pressure on the opposing QB this year?   Or are you relishing in his shortcomings?

There are not multiple threads, pictures and articles daily on him not getting pressure. There are multiple polls about defensive players to replace him. It also didn’t start with multiple games left in the season. 

1 minute ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

There are not multiple threads, pictures and articles daily on him not getting pressure. There are multiple polls about defensive players to replace him. It also didn’t start with multiple games left in the season. 

That is due to his position not being as crucial as the QB.  

3 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

It is hard to improve without consistency in coaching. I looked back over his college and pro career. In 4 years in college he had the same OC for 2 years at NC state, Matt Canada, who actually got a better job after coaching JB. Once he arrived at the pros he had McDaniels, Chudzinski and now Reich. I believe he has had 6 different OCs in 8 years since college. 

That's a good point.   Certainly could slow the improvement process.

However, Brissett reads the field the same as he always did.  He hasn't improved at all in that area.  He's a single read QB on most plays.  He rarely anticipates the receivers turn.  He's a great backup to have, but he isn't the guy who can lead a team to be contenders.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My list of preferences in order at the QB position next year.

1.) Get Andrew Luck back for one final 5 year contract

2.) Draft Love/Herbert to replace Brissett

3.) Sign or trade for a QB like Carr, Bridgewater or Foles to be our starter

4.) Have Brissett be the starter next year with Kelly and a developmental QB behind him.

I like option #1 the best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

The problem with that is that all those coach's have a history of developing great QB's..

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Well it’s a good thing none of us have a crystal ball. Things might not change but they could also improve.  I just think it would be interesting to see what happens when he actually hasn’t just been thrown out there and is more mentally prepared to be the starter.

Chloe, from what i'm seeing, the more pressure placed on JB the worse he gets.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think anyone is saying that. I like a couple of them and would like to see us draft one. Two things can both be correct. We can hope that Jacoby does improve on his weaknesses and improves next year. Plus we can also hope we get a upgrade. Jacoby has really been handed a crappy situation both years he had to start. I would find it interesting to see if some upgraded WR and a off season of being the starter and not just thrown into the fire how things change. 

Jacoby had a great situation handed to him this season.
 All the off season and pre-season snaps accorded to a starter, a top o-line, and very good coaching. Pretty good for a guy in his 3rd NFL season.
 He had a great opportunity, and looks worse than many 1st and 2nd year players this year. 

17 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

You are. In regards to actively rooting to fail. I have been a fan for 25 years and have never seen fans in real time taking pictures of plays to point out how he missed open receivers. Any mistake it quickly pictures and uploaded as proof he sucks. It is just disappointing. I remember a time when we supported our team and the players. 

Welcome to the world of technology. People are no longer stupid and we now live in an analytics-based world. Every play is noticed and scrutinized and there's no excuse for mediocre QB play in a pass-driven league anymore.

The only reason I even care about JB is because he's a Colt. He holds no entertainment value as he makes the games unwatchable. He's one of the worst starting QB's in the league. The only positive about him is he doesn't throw INT's. All of his wins have been by one score besides a 9 point win. We can easily replace him with a better QB or a rookie with higher potential.

He hasn't improved since college. He is what he is, a high level backup. Sunday should be the last game he starts for us as a Colt. If not, I will find something else to do with my Sundays next year.

27 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

The problem with that is that all those coach's have a history of developing great QB's..

Wow, wow, wow.  Please name me who they developed:

McDaniels- didn't develop Brady.  Sucked at St. Louis and couldn't develop Bradford and couldn't find a QB with Denver.

Chud- Couldn't develop anyone.  Don't give him any credit for Luck

Matt Canada- Beside JB, at Pitt he developed Nathan Peterman and Max Browne? lol.  He then got fired from LSU because he couldn't get the offense going.  Now he is at Maryland, please name a QB he developed beside JB.  Sounds like JB got him alot of jobs actually

Lets not forget Weis and Pease- Please tell me who they developed.  Maybe Weis might get some credit for Brady, but lets not look past Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen. Pease was so bad that he was demoted to OC at UTEP for a year and is now the WR coach at Montana.

I'm sorry.  The argument that they develop QB does not hold water. 

6 hours ago, waittilnextyear said:

Jacoby had a great situation handed to him this season.
 All the off season and pre-season snaps accorded to a starter, a top o-line, and very good coaching. Pretty good for a guy in his 3rd NFL season.
 He had a great opportunity, and looks worse than many 1st and 2nd year players this year. 

I am not talking about the players. I am talking about a mental state of knowing your the starter from the start of camp. That SI article was pretty clear it took a huge mental toll on him.

48 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am not talking about the players. I am talking about a mental state of knowing your the starter from the start of camp. That SI article was pretty clear it took a huge mental toll on him.

Didn't JB hear about 'Next man up'? Prepare like you may be starting tomorrow. With Luck's injury history he should have always been ready if he's a good pro.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Didn't JB hear about 'Next man up'? Prepare like you may be starting tomorrow. With Luck's injury history he should have always been ready if he's a good pro.

The next man up saying can work a lot of times but asking someone to replace a franchise QB is a little much. Under the circumstances JB actually did ok. 

Can you imagine someone telling Jim Sorgi, hey next man up if Peyton went down lmao . We would've been lucky to win 3 games with him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The next man up saying can work a lot of times but asking someone to replace a franchise QB is a little much. Under the circumstances JB actually did ok. 

Can you imagine someone telling Jim Sorgi, hey next man up if Peyton went down lmao . We would've been lucky to win 3 games with him.

Heh, the old Badger was ready.:thmup:

The thing I was referring to was the statement that it took huge mental toll on him. Surprises me if true. I would have thought he would have wet his pants with excitement. Especially after getting a multi-million dollar raise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Heh, the old Badger was ready.:thmup:

The thing I was referring to was the statement that it took huge mental toll on him. Surprises me if true. I would have thought he would have wet his pants with excitement. Especially after getting a multi-million dollar raise.

The Badger would've prevented an 0-16 season at least :billiejean:. I get your point now more though.

JB was the best option after Andrew left. I look at the cup half full and that we have made progress on both side of the ball.  Injuries had an impact but we had enough moxie to carve out 7 wins. Drafting 13th is also a good thing given our current roster. We have a solid foundation. Our OL, LB and our coaching  staff and Ballard. Stay positive and BELIEVE.  Count your blessings. It was only a few years ago we stared a future of Grigson and Pagano's coaching staff.