Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rapport: Colts expected to be in QB Market after talks with irsay

csmopar

I'm curious how our fanbase would act being 7-7 like the Cowboys or Eagles, both of whom have supposed franchise guys.

We'll essentially have an identical record with one of them after this game.

I'm sure they'll make excuses for them, but not for their own team of course. We just suck...

8 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

I'm all for drafting a QB this year. I don't think JB is the guy. But from a team building perspective, I can see reasoning behind trying to build the offense another season before giving up on him. The fan base as a whole on the other hand, likely won't be as accepting. 

But yes, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen > JB purely on ability. Doesn't help that Mayfield and Darnold have 2 of the clear worst head coaches in the league. 

I disagree about Mayfield and Allan.  Mayfield is inaccurate, cannot read a D and is a *. Allen is a very good athlete and average qb. Darnold has his ups and downs.  I truly believe that Reich has put his eggs in Brissetts basket.  The contract before the beginning of the year. I know it is only basically a one year deal, but their actions r telling Brissett that he is the guy.  Reich thinks he can make Brissett into a functional qb. We go with a rookie and basically starting all over.  Give Brissett another year with a healthy team and more weapons. One more thing and I truly believe this. Say Brissett does work out and becomes our franchise guy. What do u think will happen come contract time? I think he will look back at all the faith Reich had in him and he will sign a favourable contract.  I doubt he takes the Prescott route.  I know I am looking far into the future but thats how things could play out. Plus we can take all our resources into building this team as it stil does need an infusion of talent. 2 stud DT's with our 1st 2 picks or through free agency.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We would've been 7-2 and rolling. It is all opinion but doubt we lose to teams like the Bucs and Titans at the point either. JMO. Possibly could have though :dunno:

IMO, those close wins weren't really rolling. It's squeaking. When you have to "find a way to win" almost every single game, it's not likely going to last... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We would've been 7-2 and rolling. It is all opinion but doubt we lose to teams like the Bucs and Titans at that point either. JMO. Possibly could have though :dunno:

Titans w/ Tannehill are better than Colts w/ Brissett... we likely lose that game regardless.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

And to all of you wanting us to draft a qb with our 1st pick.  I am far more concerned about our defensive scheme/philosophy/talent then I am about our starting qb. I believe the coaching , scheme and talent need to evaluated at the end of the season on the defensive side of the ball

I know ... crazy how everyone is concerned about the single most important position on the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most games are close wins or losses. Did you expect us to beat KC by a big margin? I didn't. A lot of parity in this league.

Nah, in a weak division like ours, and with the SoS we had, our points differential should have been a lot better. Teams that squeak constantly are the teams that don't make the playoffs, or go out early. The planets have to align perfectly for Baltimore/Flacco team to win, and we're not built like Baltimore, nor do most fans want to be. I'll take their D though... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Nah, in a weak division like ours, and with the SoS we had, our points differential should have been a lot better. Teams that squeak constantly are the teams that don't make the playoffs, or go out early. The planets have to align perfectly for Baltimore/Flacco team to win, and we're not built like Baltimore, nor do most fans want to be. I'll take their D though... 

I will joke with you that Baltimore with Flacco has just as many Superbowl Titles as the Colts with Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck combined. Lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, esmort said:

I know ... crazy how everyone is concerned about the single most important position on the team.

It is the most important position. It means squat however if the rest of your roster is devoid of talent. I truly believe we can build a very good  team, which surrounds a good qb.  I said it before.  Manning plus Luck equals 1 championship in a 20 year period.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yeah, plenty of people were saying it during our hot start, that our point differential was closer to a .500 team. And sure, we had injuries, but we also benefitted from some opposing teams injuries.

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I honestly don't think the Texans and Titans are weak.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

It is the most important position. It means squat however if the rest of your roster is devoid of talent. I truly believe we can build a very good  team, which surrounds a good qb.  I said it before.  Manning plus Luck equals 1 championship in a 20 year period.

We dont have a good QB.   Even a good team can only carry a below average QB so far. 

IMHO, you are foolish if you think the Colts would actually be any better if a few kicks or breaks when their way.  So lets say they are instead 8-7 or 9-6.  So they sneak into the playoffs and get destroyed and people say "Well, Brissett got us to the playoffs. Let's build off of that". Is that what you really want?  I like winning titles, not saying we competed.   Some of you actually think 2 years of Brissett isn't enough and getting more players around him, he will suddenly become good?  You probably thought if Trent Richardson had another year he would have become a good RB too?  

To those who think Brissett will get good, I challenge you with this.  Brissett was QB in 2017 and 2019 and we couldn't score.  Luck was QB in 2018 and threw 29 TDs.  Most of same players.  Different coach and GM.  The only constant is Brissett isn't very good.  Think about that.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Bottom line Vinny missed kicks cost us a playoff birth. Chargers, Tn, Pittsburgh. 

That’s hard to argue in terms of W’s and L’s, sure, but it’s also hard to have sustained success when there’s that little room for error every game. 

Also, if those kicks did go in, we’d still hopefully be having the same conversation about JB, in terms of actually judging his performance.

2 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

IMHO, you are foolish if you think the Colts would actually be any better if a few kicks or breaks when their way.  So lets say they are instead 8-7 or 9-6.  So they sneak into the playoffs and get destroyed and people say "Well, Brissett got us to the playoffs. Let's build off of that". Is that what you really want?  I like winning titles, not saying we competed.   Some of you actually think 2 years of Brissett isn't enough and getting more players around him, he will suddenly become good?  You probably thought if Trent Richardson had another year he would have become a good RB too?  

To those who think Brissett will get good, I challenge you with this.  Brissett was QB in 2017 and 2019 and we couldn't score.  Luck was QB in 2018 and threw 29 TDs.  Most of same players.  Different coach and GM.  The only constant is Brissett isn't very good.  Think about that.

Every WR, TE and Hines regressed other than Pascal.  That’s all we need to know about “franchise.”

We dont have a good QB.   Even a good team can only carry a below average QB so far. 

I would hate to see what a good QB could do, maybe win 77-0. It is funny how people in here thought Allen was awesome against the Pats in a loss going for 13-26 (50%), 208 yards but just bash JB even when he wins 38-6. Makes no sense. There isn't even a debate against that. It is just simply JB hate.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most games are close wins or losses. Did you expect us to beat KC by a big margin? I didn't. A lot of parity in this league.

Correct.  You need a defense that can make a stop when it matters, an offense that can get a first down when it matters, and a kicker who can kick a FG when it matters.  Not to mention, avoid the critical turnover when it matters.  

Most of the other stuff in between is just splash play nonsense. Fantasy football stat competition. 

Being able to score a TD in 30 seconds from your own 25 is not how organizations plan to win football games.

Unless one teams roster is vastly superior over another (like KC vs us last year) most games are close.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

No, but we got blown out at KC with Luck, and against NE in the AFCCG, and against BALT in the WC game.  So having the kind of Qb everybody wants didn't really help either.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would hate to see what a good QB could do, maybe win 77-0. It is funny how people in here thought Allen was awesome against the Pats in a loss going for 13-26 (50%), 208 yards but just bash JB even when he wins 38-6. Makes no sense. There isn't even a debate against that. It is just simply JB hate.

JB not being good is not based on one meaningless game. Even as amazing as his 119 yds and no TDs was. I mean honestly even in a lopsided win did you really think he looked "good"?  If anything it just made me wonder how good we would be with a real QB.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I can't speak on the Allen love, but saying Jacoby won 38-6 when the punt return unit alone scored 14 and set the offense up with another 40 yard return is being pretty generous. Jacoby had like 120 yards today. That's not necessarily a bad thing, especially when the team is playing complementary football with good D/ST like today. But when the D/ST is off, it makes it nearly impossible to compete.

JB not being good is not based on one meaningless game. Even as amazing as his 119 yds and no TDs was. I mean honestly even in a lopsided win did you really think he looked "good"?  If anything it just made me wonder how good we would be with a real QB.

Honestly when my qb wins a blow out and only throws for 119 yards,  I am totally stoked. Why? Because that whooping was a team effort.  Every facet of the team contributed to the winning of that game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, esmort said:

It is his leadership and how the team responds to him. His stats were bad I admit but he made some good throws all game and he doesn't throw silly INT's to lose a game normally. I am on record saying we should draft another QB though but not sure where or who. We can't settle :thmup:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am all for giving him one more year.  More draft picks and be more active in free agency.

I have seen enough, I believe he is what he is; which is below average stater/good back up. No sense in wasting another year, we need to start looking for our franchise QB. 

6 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

I can't speak on the Allen love, but saying Jacoby won 38-6 when the punt return unit alone scored 14 and set the offense up with another 40 yard return is being pretty generous. Jacoby had like 120 yards today. That's not necessarily a bad thing, especially when the team is playing complementary football with good D/ST like today. But when the D/ST is off, it makes it nearly impossible to compete.

It is ashame JB got injured at Pitt, that would've gave me in my mind how good he may have been this year had he played and we won. I need closure. I don't have it yet, some do. I seen our team win 38-6 today with ease, it looked like we beat a highschool team. I am just done trying to figure this out lmao 

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is his leadership and how the team responds to him. His stats were bad but I admit but he made some good throws all game and he doesn't throw silly INT's to lose a game normally. I am on record saying we should draft another QB though but not sure where or who. We can't settle :thmup:

When a team is winning the game, the strategy is different.  In fact, when the HC knows the other team is bad and is starting a rookie QB, they tend to game plan in way to where they are not scoring on every play.

Reich has made it pretty clear that his goal is to win the time of possession game.  Hold the ball, advance it slowly but steadily, and score points at the end.  He knows JB has problems winning a shooting match. And that his offense doesn't have the talent either.

Having said that, you need a QB to be able to score when the opponent outmatches your D.  JB has shown that he cannot do that.

But, this just in:   When you have a good TEAM, the QB should NOT have gaudy stats.  In that case, the most important individual stat is interceptions.  JMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is his leadership and how the team responds to him. His stats were bad I admit but he made some good throws all game and he doesn't throw silly INT's to lose a game normally. I am on record saying we should draft another QB though but not sure where or who. We can't settle :thmup:

I know, it’s a totally weird idea, but, what about building the team needs with our top draft choices, and then taking Navy’s Malcom Perry in about the 4th or 5th round?  He’s certainly versatile, like a Lamar Jackson, or a Tayson Hill, and we are already a running team, anyway.  With him plus whoever the QB is next year, he’d always be a threat to run the WildCat. He could even line up as a receiver.  So could Hines, by the way...  he might even learn the NFL QB spot...

(My personal preference would be to trade up for Herbert, but I don’t see that happening.) just an outside the box idea.  We’d be amongst the fastest Offenses in the NFL, outside of Baltimore...

It is ashame JB got injured at Pitt, that would've gave me in my mind how good he may have been this year had he played and we won. I need closure. I don't have it yet, some do. I seen our team win 38-6 today with ease, it looked like we beat a highschool team. I am just done trying to figure this out lmao 

I actually didn’t find today’s outcome too surprising (Hines’ returns aside) just like I didn’t find last week’s brutal loss surprising.

Then again I follow the Panthers quite a bit because I have some guys in fantasy. With Grier getting the start and considering how bad their D has been in recent weeks, especially with Rivera’s recent firing, they’re just a really bad football team with a lone bright spot in CMC.