Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Excited About Direction We Seem To Be Heading

unitaswestand

After seeing the team gutted, I am excited about where things are going. I am a Colts fan since Bert Jones was QB, so I have seen the Colts bad more than they have been good. What drove me crazy about the previous setup was the constant lack of running attack, ability to stop the run, and horrid special team coverage. Yeah, it is fun to see the Colts win 12 games every year, but unless that equates to Super Bowl wins, the season is a disappointment.

What I really hope from this coaching staff/front office is a much more balanced team like what the 49ers are currently doing. Or even the 1995 Colts. I have been watching a lot of film on Andrew Luck and I am estastic about this guy. I can see him running the new balanced offense very well. And I love the free agent moves. I have always fault the successful teams bring in young, mid level free agents to fill holes. These have all been very good pickups, IMHO.

Finally, I think the Colts will suprise people next year. I hear predictions on NFL Network about 2-14 next year. The Colts were better than a 2-14 last year, but they had no QB. You could see that once Dan O played even decently, they were competitive. Other than Peyton, the veterans that were cut, you could argue they wouldn't have been the best at their position next year anyways. I honestly expect a 7-9 season and the Colts to be ready to dominate in 2013 again. As long as they don't do something stupid like draft RGIII or start bring in thug players like the Eagles, I think they will do very well.

Griffin isn't a stupid draft pick, unlike fans teams know they are both great prospects and both very likely to succeed. Other than that the colts will definitely be much better than 2-14 I'm thinking 10-6. With a strong run game and good defense it should be great.

Griffin isn't a stupid draft pick, unlike fans teams know they are both great prospects and both very likely to succeed. Other than that the colts will definitely be much better than 2-14 I'm thinking 10-6. With a strong run game and good defense it should be great.

it just feels like RGIII is getting hype out of no where. the guy has one good season and all of the sudden hes good enough to be considered being taken over luck which is ridiculous.

I disagree. If you have a choice between Luck and Griffin, and you pick Griffin, that is a stupid draft pick. I have watched quite a bit of Griffin, and I see a guy doing a single read spread offense. He has great intangibles, but there is much room for failure.

But I do agree they will be much better.

I agree, especially about having a balanced team. That is why I didn't mind some of the overpaid veterans getting cut. We need to quit overpaying for talent and become focused on having a good team throughout. I also don't see how this team will be worse than last year, unless Luck really sucks his first year. Half of the guys they lost didn't even play, Manning, Brackett,Bullitt(played but not a full season) and Clark did very little in both respects. This team has picked up guys who aren't great, but will fill some holes and this team has 9 draft picks so far. The things about the rebuilding that should take the longest will be the defense and Luck adjusting to the NFL, since they are switching schemes. Then again Houston went to a 3-4 pretty easily, although IMO they had more talent on the defense.

it just feels like RGIII is getting hype out of no where. the guy has one good season and all of the sudden hes good enough to be considered being taken over luck which is ridiculous.

He did not have one good season he showed progression through his whole college career and capped it off with one statistically better than Lucks.

Did you see what the Redskins gave up to get in position to draft him? Or what Cleveland was willing to give up in position to take him? Teams were willing to give up a huge price to get into position to take him. Calling it ridiculous seems out of place. Plus just listen to the guy - he is very clearly a guy who you would want to be the face of your franchise.

Having said that Luck will be the pick but RG3 would not be an unreasonable selection either.

I disagree. If you have a choice between Luck and Griffin, and you pick Griffin, that is a stupid draft pick. I have watched quite a bit of Griffin, and I see a guy doing a single read spread offense. He has great intangibles, but there is much room for failure.

But I do agree they will be much better.

That's obviously your opinion, when you say watched im guessing you mean YouTube bids.... every team knows not much deprecates either QB cause they both will be learning new systems, and Griffin sure isn't stupid. Neither have shown to be special in anyway other than Griffin having the better arm. They are both great prospects, this isn't college anymore.

Did you see what the Redskins gave up to get in position to draft him? Or what Cleveland was willing to give up in position to take him? Teams were willing to give up a huge price to get into position to take him. Calling it ridiculous seems out of place. Plus just listen to the guy - he is very clearly a guy who you would want to be the face of your franchise.

Having said that Luck will be the pick but RG3 would not be an unreasonable selection either.

teams would have given alot more for luck

I hope that Luck and Griffin both turn out to be great prospects and I think each of them have different talents that they bring to the table.

Luck brings a knowledge, accurate, traditional approach to the game where we bootlegs out and has the power and accuracy to make any throw in the field.

RG3 has a more mobile approach, he brings a fast-paced Michael Vick style approach where the offense will score fast and often.

I personally think that Luck would be the smarter pick for us because he will fit more with what the offense is trying to accomplish, while RG3 fits more with what Washington is trying to accomplish.

He did not have one good season he showed progression through his whole college career and capped it off with one statistically better than Lucks.

True. It seems like people have to say 1 will be a bust and the other will be good. Why can't both end up being great? Or people make to many comparisons to the Manning/Leaf draft to Luck/Griffin.

We've pretty much hit rock bottom with the Colts having the worst record, and losing Manning, Garcon, Clark, Addai and Bullitt. Not saying we needed all or any those players, but they were at one time good or great parts of our team. The Colts have no where to go, but up. Rebuild with young players with a couple of vets in there to help mould the team. The FO is doing this properly.

True. It seems like people have to say 1 will be a bust and the other will be good. Why can't both end up being great? Or people make to many comparisons to the Manning/Leaf draft to Luck/Griffin.

Exactly both QBs will turn out to be really good QBs, the NFL is QB friendly, colleges tend to get their QBs ready for the NFL not to mention more athletic than earlier years.

who cares we are gunna take Luck and the redskins will take Griffin. and 10 wins? haha dont push it, we have a very tough schedule, and we still dont know how good the run game offenseive line or the defense will be. i think 5-6 wins is more reasonable, depending on how the team learns and matures throughout the season.

That's obviously your opinion, when you say watched im guessing you mean YouTube bids.... every team knows not much deprecates either QB cause they both will be learning new systems, and Griffin sure isn't stupid. Neither have shown to be special in anyway other than Griffin having the better arm. They are both great prospects, this isn't college anymore.

My cousin goes to Baylor, so I have actually watched quite a few of his games, a few live. I don't think he is a bad QB by any means. I just feel Luck is so much better than any QB I have seen come out of college in the last decade, I would be stunned if the Colts picked RGIII instead. I watched again the USC-Stanford game and I am just very impressed with Lucks mechanics, delivery, and how he looks off defensive backs. He does things that some NFL QBs aren't doing. I think he has a chance to be a top 3 QB, where I view RGIII as a guy who might be Aaron Rodgers or he might be Kevin Kolb. I don't mean as far as ability but the level he will reach.

Anyways, I am glad you weighed in on your opinion. We all have one and I may be completely wrong. But I always enjoy another Colt fan's opinion and insight.

Griffin pleased the media by talking a lot while Luck kept his mouth closed. I think he'll quiet down a little when gets introduced to the Giants NASCAR.

Well, the funny thing about RGIII is that he is the first QB I have seen get such a push from the combine because he did everything great...except had to throw a pass!! He is, after all, a QB. Who cares if he is fast. Or has a great vertical jump. Or carries himself well.

I predict he will be a very mediocre NFL QB. Keep in mind he is running a run option, spread, single read offense. That is far less complicated than what the Redskins will have him run. He is a very smart guy, so you can project him to do well with more, but then again just because you are smart guy doesn't mean you are a great NFL QB. Kevin Kolb is a coaches son, gym rate, and I have heard can soak up playbooks. He has all the physical attributes. It doesn't translate to NFL success so far.

yeah i like the direction also. it has been hard watching two things however. first being the peyton manning decision on espn, especially when guys like elway says how great he is throwing the ball. and second is releasing talent i feel we could have got something in return for; like d.clark.i just feel like we should have shopped him around for maybe a 4th round or later pick before just letting him walk.

and second is releasing talent i feel we could have got something in return for; like d.clark.i just feel like we should have shopped him around for maybe a 4th round or later pick before just letting him walk.

I thought so as well, but I don't think any of those guys have been picked up yet, right? I doubt the Colts would get much of anything for them if they are still hanging out as free agents. Quite simply, it doesn't appear their services are in high demand.

It's pretty simple really.

Since It's pretty much a forgone conclusion where Luck is going, no one is talking about it. RG3 however was not a forgone conclusion where he went, so everyone talked about him.

The more media talk about a player, the more they fall in love with a player.

I thought so as well, but I don't think any of those guys have been picked up yet, right? I doubt the Colts would get much of anything for them if they are still hanging out as free agents. Quite simply, it doesn't appear their services are in high demand.

Exactly. None of the 5 that we cut have been picked up, which supports the idea that while under contract, they were not valued by other teams as desirable trade material.

Clark

Brackett

Bullitt

Addai

Painter

After seeing the team gutted, I am excited about where things are going. I am a Colts fan since Bert Jones was QB, so I have seen the Colts bad more than they have been good. What drove me crazy about the previous setup was the constant lack of running attack, ability to stop the run, and horrid special team coverage. Yeah, it is fun to see the Colts win 12 games every year, but unless that equates to Super Bowl wins, the season is a disappointment.

What I really hope from this coaching staff/front office is a much more balanced team like what the 49ers are currently doing. Or even the 1995 Colts. I have been watching a lot of film on Andrew Luck and I am estastic about this guy. I can see him running the new balanced offense very well. And I love the free agent moves. I have always fault the successful teams bring in young, mid level free agents to fill holes. These have all been very good pickups, IMHO.

Finally, I think the Colts will suprise people next year. I hear predictions on NFL Network about 2-14 next year. The Colts were better than a 2-14 last year, but they had no QB. You could see that once Dan O played even decently, they were competitive. Other than Peyton, the veterans that were cut, you could argue they wouldn't have been the best at their position next year anyways. I honestly expect a 7-9 season and the Colts to be ready to dominate in 2013 again. As long as they don't do something stupid like draft RGIII or start bring in thug players like the Eagles, I think they will do very well.

I was around before the BERT JONES era and some of it was painfull but i love the COLTS and like what the GM is doing. Before you no it will be back

Actually yes ... he did only have ONE "great" season. And 2 other "good" seasons. All the while playing against he NCAA's worst D conf. The mighty Big 12.

Luck vs Ok St...... 27 of 31 for 347 and 2 TD's and 1 INT ... Kicker lost game for them 2x

RG3 vs Ok St...... 33 of 50 for 425 and 1 TD and 2 INT ... blow out loss.

I know. He's the "darling" of this year's draft it seems.

He really outta send some checks to the media.

They have made him ALOT of money.

direction.gif

Seriously....yet another thread turns into a Luck/RG3 debate.....UGH!!!

As for me, I like the direction of the team. They've picked up some nice players, not huge starts but vets with experience...the draft should be exciting. We've seen more FA action in the 10 minutes Grigson has been here than in 10 years of BP....I think we'll be better than the naysayers expect

I was around before the BERT JONES era and some of it was painfull but i love the COLTS and like what the GM is doing. Before you no it will be back

hahaha You one upped me. Congrats to you for being on board before Bert Jones. So you probably saw Unitas, which I never did. When did you become a fan?

I just want to respond to one thing in the original post. I truly do not understand the concept of 12 win seasons being a disappointment if they dont end in a trip to the SB. So as a fan you have only had two seasons that weren't a disappointment? For reals?

As a fan since 70, my count on truly disappointing seasons at around 15 or 16. I dont think I could stand to be a fan of continual disappointment. Just curious.

Exactly. None of the 5 that we cut have been picked up, which supports the idea that while under contract, they were not valued by other teams as desirable trade material.

Clark

Brackett

Bullitt

Addai

Painter

No one called me about a trade I think I have a moldy sand which in my fridge I would have given for painter I know I'd be over paying for him but I do feel bad for him.

I truly think the Colts can compete next year and win some games. Maybe more games then people think.

It's funny. For years the Colts were considered "old and on the decline.....with the window closing." Now Peyton is gone last year and the team falls apart pretty much everywhere. Rock bottom.

Now the Colts won't win another game!!!

IMO, there is nowhere to go but up again after last season.

Another thing adding to my optimism is the way our division looks to be setting up.

Jacksonville will get nowhere with Blaine Gabbert as their QB. They have a solid defense, but that's about it. Nobody to throw the ball to on O, and nobody to throw the ball. All they have going for them is MJD, and a defense that really has no room for improvement....only room for deprovement.

Tennessee has a solid offense on paper. If they land Peyton, their offense could be pretty spectacular. But their issue is the crazy amount of holes defensively. No pass rush, no CBs now that Finnegan's gone, Keyunta Dawson is one of their Dlinemen along with a bunch of other small DTs, and no safety to compliment Griffin. They have some good young LBs but that seems to be about it.

Houston has had a solid run game, but that had a lot to do with their Oline. They got rid of Winston and Brisiel. That's gonna hurt. They signed Foster to a big deal, but if his line takes a step back, he won't have the same production. They have one of the best receivers in the game, but no compliments to him. And Schaub is just an average QB who's had the benefit of a number 1 running game. On defense, sure they made the Wade Philips improvement, but all I see them doing is taking a step back. I think one of the biggest reasons they had such a good year, was basically just the element of surprise. I see some guys like Watt and maybe Reed making improvement next year, but most of the other guys will take slight steps back. They won't have the second best defense in the league next year. Plus we beat them with Danny O at QB, so they must not be all that special.

I'm okay with building a power football team. That's fine. But I also want a team that can win in a shootout and can score your lights out.

Look at what Carolina is gonna do. They're going to play a brand of football that can beat you in a shoot out or beat you 10-7. whatever type of game you want to take them to, thats fine because they'll handle it.

Detroit Lions/NO Saints are trying to build the same thing.

People point towards the 49ers theyre the trend setters right now or the chick pick. Not me. That team is one dimensional and cannot get behind and cannot blow you out. I want the Colts to be a throwing team that uses the run to set up the pass and plays power defense. you can play great defense and be a passing team, its such a misconception

btw I'm excited too bc what type of football we play is going to be dictated by what is done on the field. If Luck proves he can handle more we'll feed him more (gameplan). I guarantee it. And they'll turn him loose with all kinds of throws.

I am going to say this one time....I probably will not be on this forum again....I will alway be a Cotls fan though....We are >>>ed....This has been the worst off season I have ever seen...Peyton will win a SB again....We will not get to the playoffs for a long long long time. Good job Irsay.

I am going to say this one time....I probably will not be on this forum again....I will alway be a Cotls fan though....We are _______....This has been the worst off season I have ever seen...Peyton will win a SB again....We will not get to the playoffs for a long long long time. Good job Irsay.

You sound angry at the Colts? Yet you claim continued support while simultaneously espousing displeasure with this fan forum. Why? Why not continue to visit with us?

THis. He's an exceptional athlete, but Sanchez had 1 marquee season in college that got shoved down everybody's throat.

slow down guys ... 7-9? 10-6??? dont get me wrong, I like the direction we´re heading, but i think next year will be a tough one - new coaches, new players... this is a process and it will take some time and a lot of things have to pan out... I can see at best five wins in 2013, which wouldnt be bad for a team in complete rebuild mode.

slow down guys ... 7-9? 10-6??? dont get me wrong, I like the direction we´re heading, but i think next year will be a tough one - new coaches, new players... this is a process and it will take some time and a lot of things have to pan out... I can see at best five wins in 2013, which wouldnt be bad for a team in complete rebuild mode.

A few weeks back, I said 8-8. Based on part, some weak teams on the schdule, a freshness about the place, particularly on defense, brought about by the new coaches, schemes and players. I'm also confident Luck (?) will be good enough to win us some games as well. But without even knowing what the final 53 will look like, predicting what will happen is like nailing a jellyfish to a wall.

Early September is when our predictions will be more interesting....

A few weeks back, I said 8-8. Based on part, some weak teams on the schdule, a freshness about the place, particularly on defense, brought about by the new coaches, schemes and players. I'm also confident Luck (?) will be good enough to win us some games as well. But without even knowing what the final 53 will look like, predicting what will happen is like nailing a jellyfish to a wall.

Early September is when our predictions will be more interesting....

For the most part, you're correct. However fans should temper their expectations, not concentrate on W/L records, but rather focus on individual players. Who works, who doesn't. Who we keep, who we discard. If we don't win a single stinking game, I will not be discouraged as long as I see progress in key areas.

I got a feeling we're gonna be surprised by the defense and this year is gonna be one of those cases where people refer to our team by saying "The defense carried this team".