Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Chad Kelly? (Poll)

1959Colts

Free Chad Kelly? (Poll)  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Is week 16 the time for Chad Kelly to start?

• Yes. The season is over, lets see what Chad (Swag) Kelly can do.
    • No. The 2019 Colts team is Brissett's to the bitter end

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Kelly is not the answer no matter how you feel about Brissett. 

Taking one pre season game and assuming he is better than Brissett is a joke. 

That's a pure guess, you literally have no idea, no matter how much you hate Kelly. Brissett isn't the future and Kelly deserves a shot at the very least. Get over your grudge with him.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

About 99% of this board probably agrees, including me. 

However, I wonder if they sit the guy, who they gave a raise? 

Is it a factor?

No.  JB makes peanuts when it comes to finding a starting level QB.  He's cutable... And on the longest of shots, Kelly is capable.... You pay him next to nothing, so total investment in qb position is negligible

• Like 1

colt1  I have seen every pass that Chad Kelly has thrown in college and preseason.  Gardner Minshew is from my hometown saw nearly every pass he threw in HS and his last year at WSU.  I would take Gardner over JB and I would take Kelly over Gardner.  Kelly and Gardner are more accurate that JB.  Kelly has one of the strongest arms in the league and that is not up for debate.  Can he improve of course Chad can.  Kelly was not any trouble at Ole Miss despite what you hear.  The coaches and CB are caught kind of like the Jags were with Foles.  The paid all this money and should not have.  They are so scared that Kelly will show up and show out that they will have to answer for their decisions.  Management has to show some courage.

Edited by TheCount
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You never know unless you let him play if your gonna tell me he is that much worst than Brissett cause you speculating he isn't good when you never take a shot and let him play that is the joke.

With all of the injuries on this roster, I was very surprised that the Colts decided to eat up a precious roster spot by carrying a third QB (Kelly).

That tells us 1 of 2 things (or both):

1) Jacoby's injury was serious enough that they felt they needed a backup for Hoyer, if he had to play in Jacoby's absence.

OR

2) The Colts actually value Kelly's potential and wanted to give him an opportunity at some point, under the proper circumstances, to see what he offered (e.g., is he a quality backup?). 

While us fans are fed up with Brissett the coach and GM still thin this bum brissett is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

1 minute ago, zibby43 said:

With all of the injuries on this roster, I was very surprised that the Colts decided to eat up a precious roster spot by carrying a third QB (Kelly).

That tells us 1 of 2 things (or both):

1) Jacoby's injury was serious enough that they felt they needed a backup for Hoyer, if he had to play in Jacoby's absence.

OR

2) The Colts actually value Kelly's potential and wanted to give him an opportunity at some point, under the proper circumstances, to see what he offered (e.g., is he a quality backup?). 

There also has to be a reason that he wasn't sent back to the PS.

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

While us fans are fed up with Brissett the coach and GM still thin this bum brissett is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

There also has to be a reason that he wasn't sent back to the PS.

I can tell you the reason - anyone on the practice squad can be signed to another team.

The thing I hate the most about this season is not the record, or even Brissett, but the confidence I am losing in our coach and GM.  I really liked Ballard and Reich.  I always knew Brissett wasn't the guy, but I had hope we were in good hands from a management perspective.  I am really not so sure anymore.

I feel like our organization has no transparency, won't make the tough calls, and sticks to poor performing players.  I don't know if it is because Ballard and Reich are boyscouts, or someone has blackmail.  Whatever the case it tells me they are either poor talent evaluators, or incapable of making the tough moves that will make this organization successful.  

My hope is fading fast ...

• Like 1

Supposedly Frank told one of the announcers tonight that Brissett is his guy. So that tells me that he will ride Brissett like the sinking ship he is and go to a watery grave. He's too enamored of Brissett to ever take a chance that he might be replaced by a draft pick or ... gasp....that wild guy Chad Kelly. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

No.  JB makes peanuts when it comes to finding a starting level QB.  He's cutable... And on the longest of shots, Kelly is capable.... You pay him next to nothing, so total investment in qb position is negligible

It is not a factor.  
First, it doesnt mean you HATE Kelly just because you think JB gives us a better chance of winning.  Apparently management and coaches feel the same.  It sounds like the players too. Bi think we all hope Kelly is the 2nd coming of his uncle, but truth is , some are basing his production on 2nd half preseason play.

Apparently, the team felt he isnt the answer (now).
  Now that the season is officially over, perhaps they will sit JB (knee) and give Kelly a shot.  Who knows.

I’d even be ok with starting JB and putting Kelly in later.

Who cares now.  But i think people need to stop saying those who dont think Kelly is ready (including Reich,etc) hate Kelly. Its lazy, and cheap.

And just because some think JB should have been starting (while we still had a shot) doesnt mean they think he’s the long term answer (In current form) or that he doesnt need to improve.  
   We all agree we need better production from the QB position.  I’m not ready to give up on JB AND i’d like to see Kelly in a real game (now  that we’re done)

Is that so bad?

sit JB, TY, and anyone else who’s been nursing something.  Get healthy and get our heads right for next year.

JB, Kelly, and anybody else can battle it out in camp.  Maybe try to figure out some drills to help JB work on accuracy too.

18 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I’m afraid you’re right. They need to continue evaluating the Franchise, seeing he’s locked in for 2020. 

Honestly being locked in to 2020 isn't really a big deal. His 2020 guarantees were all locked 3 months ago. He could be cut easy. And he's not really all that expensive you can't keep him as a back up for next year.

In terms of evaluating, not sure they will see much more or different in the remaining two games.

20 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

or more likely...never.

Probably. A guy can only hope. Honestly I don't really care if he looks good or bad. I would just like to see. If he's bad, cut him. If he's good, then you have options, and decisions to make.. but at least you know.

Obviously it's a tough situation for them. Bad optics either way.

5 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

It is not a factor.  
First, it doesnt mean you HATE Kelly just because you think JB gives us a better chance of winning.  Apparently management and coaches feel the same.  It sounds like the players too. Bi think we all hope Kelly is the 2nd coming of his uncle, but truth is , some are basing his production on 2nd half preseason play.

Apparently, the team felt he isnt the answer (now).
  Now that the season is officially over, perhaps they will sit JB (knee) and give Kelly a shot.  Who knows.

I’d even be ok with starting JB and putting Kelly in later.

Who cares now.  But i think people need to stop saying those who dont think Kelly is ready (including Reich,etc) hate Kelly. Its lazy, and cheap.

And just because some think JB should have been starting (while we still had a shot) doesnt mean they think he’s the long term answer (In current form) or that he doesnt need to improve.  
   We all agree we need better production from the QB position.  I’m not ready to give up on JB AND i’d like to see Kelly in a real game (now  that we’re done)

Is that so bad?

sit JB, TY, and anyone else who’s been nursing something.  Get healthy and get our heads right for next year.

JB, Kelly, and anybody else can battle it out in camp.  Maybe try to figure out some drills to help JB work on accuracy too.

I don't see JB changing what he hasn't been able to change since college. There are just too many core deficiencies and little to no improvement over the course of the season. And the injury excuse only gets you so far. Throwing bad passes to everyone including TY, Pascal, and Doyle has zero to do with injury. 

All the "he's our guy" stuff I take with a grain of salt. It's exactly what I expected the FO to say given the circumstances created by Luck retiring. It's paints them in a corner to an extent, but it's a business.

All the Kelly will never be "fill in the blank" to me is lazy. Outside of his behavioral issues, he's shown promise in both college and pre-season, and those are the only factual and real things we have to gauge him on. And honestly nobody knows what Reich and Ballard think of Kelly. We know they took a chance on a behavioral train wreck. We know they made him one of the highest priced PS guys. We know they kept him on the 53 when they have a lot of other injury issues to deal with. I'd bet the issue is more optics than it is anything. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

"Blackcoffeeguy", I heard the announcer said the same thing that Reich is going to stick with JB.....This tells one thing this organization doesn't believing winning....They'll notice it when the attendance starts disappearing...

In that case, they’ll start noticing it this Sunday.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

"Blackcoffeeguy", I heard the announcer said the same thing that Reich is going to stick with JB.....This tells one thing this organization doesn't believing winning....They'll noticed it when the attendance starts disappearing...

The FO is only saying what they're "supposed" to say to media. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I don't see JB changing what he hasn't been able to change since college. There are just too many core deficiencies and little to no improvement over the course of the season. And the injury excuse only gets you so far. Throwing bad passes to everyone including TY, Pascal, and Doyle has zero to do with injury. 

All the "he's our guy" stuff I take with a grain of salt. It's exactly what I expected the FO to say given the circumstances created by Luck retiring. It's paints them in a corner to an extent, but it's a business.

All the Kelly will never be "fill in the blank" to me is lazy. Outside of his behavioral issues, he's shown promise in both college and pre-season, and those are the only factual and real things we have to gauge him on. And honestly nobody knows what Reich and Ballard think of Kelly. We know they took a chance on a behavioral train wreck. We know they made him one of the highest priced PS guys. We know they kept him on the 53 when they have a lot of other injury issues to deal with. I'd bet the issue is more optics than it is anything. 

Optics are a pretty big deal in a billion dollar enterprise.

i’m cool with whatever shakes out.  It is curious to me that Kelly didnt see time when JB was out if he is in fact ready , in the teams eyes at least, because we all saw the Hoyer experiment.

From the start, i havent seen this as a JB vs Kelly thing.  I just want  our best chance on the field at QB.  This year, that was JB.  Common sense,   the team, Indy radio personalities, and ex-pros now in media all expressed this.  I’ll go with that over some disheartened fans being emotional.

Going forward and out of the playoffs, sure why not.  Throw Kelly to the wolves.  I liked what i saw in preseason too.  But i also remember many pre-season HOFers that didnt make the team.  Some reached legendary status and are still talked about.  My gut tells me Kelly will eventually join this list tho I hope he becomes special. 

I'd actually be excited to watch this panthers game if they unleashed Kelly.  But of course they'll probably just stick with JB(Just Boring).  I really want to see what the kid has because he showed me he has some nuts in the preseason and a knack for finding the endzone the same way he did in college.  Little glimpses I saw which I'm anxious to see the carry over if there is any.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The organization has nothing to lose. Lets just see if we have a future back up in Kelly. Let's be a bold organization and at least evaluate Chad in an actual game. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheCount said:

colt1  I have seen every pass that Chad Kelly has thrown in college and preseason.  Gardner Minshew is from my hometown saw nearly every pass he threw in HS and his last year at WSU.  I would take Gardner over JB and I would take Kelly over Gardner.  Kelly and Gardner are more accurate that JB.  Kelly has one of the strongest arms in the league and that is not up for debate.  Can he improve of course Chad can.  Kelly was not any trouble at Ole Miss despite what you hear.  The coaches and CB are caught kind of like the Jags were with Foles.  The paid all this money and should not have.  They are so scared that Kelly will show up and show out that they will have to answer for their decisions.  Management has to show some courage.

I don’t think they are afraid to have Kelly look way better than JB, I think they’ve honestly felt that they had something in JB they could solve. It’s apparent, they can’t. I’d like to see the team go in a new approach of you either perform or you will get replaced by the next man up and if you handle it poorly, you can play elsewhere. We have the new generation approach of handing out participation trophies to everyone. That stupid runner up banner set the stage for being weak on accountability. We need to strategically toughen up in many areas of accountability. 

• Thanks 1