Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Chad Kelly? (Poll)

1959Colts

Free Chad Kelly? (Poll)  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Is week 16 the time for Chad Kelly to start?

• Yes. The season is over, lets see what Chad (Swag) Kelly can do.
    • No. The 2019 Colts team is Brissett's to the bitter end

On 12/17/2019 at 12:46 AM, blackcoffeeguy said:

Supposedly Frank told one of the announcers tonight that Brissett is his guy. So that tells me that he will ride Brissett like the sinking ship he is and go to a watery grave. He's too enamored of Brissett to ever take a chance that he might be replaced by a draft pick or ... gasp....that wild guy Chad Kelly. 

Yeah, what a joke...Frank and Chris, the rigid-thinking non-dynamic duo.

19 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think of Kap and Kelly in the same manner. Some body...anybody let these guys start for a team so they can predictably flame out and end the conversation and the hype.  Enuff.

What happens if Kelly balls out...then CB and FR have a problem in a QB controversy. So the two clowns will just continue to suppress any controversy.

19 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think of Kap and Kelly in the same manner. Some body...anybody let these guys start for a team so they can predictably flame out and end the conversation and the hype.  Enuff.

Late vs NO would have been better than starting him (Kelly). If he laid turds, nobody would ever mention him again, and cut him.... As long as he's a mystery, and our starting QB stinks, people will wonder.

2 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

What happens if Kelly balls out...then CB and FR have a problem in a QB controversy. So the two clowns will just continue to suppress any controversy.

Hmmmmm....can u think of any qb in the history of the NFL with the same  circumstances that Kelly has gone through   and who has gone on to b a franchise qb??  I am not the biggest Ballard fan and I do respect Reich enuff to think he would insert Kelly into the line up if he thought he  was ready. Plus,  I think Reich is giving Brissett the whole year.  So that when they do do make their decision about the qb position, they can rest easy knowing that they have given Brissett every opportunity to secure the job.

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Late vs NO would have been better than starting him (Kelly). If he laid turds, nobody would ever mention him again, and cut him.... As long as he's a mystery, and our starting QB stinks, people will wonder.

But Kelly was inactive, so they have an out.

When Luck retired I put on here we were in trouble because Brissett is not an nfl qb. Then I reconsidered and predicted 10 or 11 wins because the defense is that good. Brissetts play is what I suspected, he just isn't an nfl qb. Two opportunities now and he is 10-19 as a starter. As much as I like Frank Reich, I think he is a tremendous coach, he has to see what the average fan sees with Brissett. So why the determination to keep playing him? Brissett has gotten so bad Ballard could draft the top 3 vote getters in next years defensive rookie of the year awards and Leonard win dpoy and we would still finish no better than 7-9. But I've been a Colt fan since 1968 and I will keep watching and wearing my Chad Kelly jersey I got last August.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love Frank as our coach, and I love the fact that our owner has let him do his job without micromanaging, but when his decisions start to affect the bottom line, I think we might see a change in Franks QB decision.

Personally, I see no reason why we do not play CK the final 2 games of the season.  Unless Frank sees something in JB, that no one else can see, I think he is really taking a chance on his reputation, and coaching career. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 11:55 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Kelly is not the answer no matter how you feel about Brissett. 

Taking one pre season game and assuming he is better than Brissett is a joke. 

One could say assuming that he is not the answer on the basis of so little evidence is also a joke.

4 pages of entries and 160+ votes for a 90% belief that we should be looking at Kelly. Stubbornness will eventually get you fired. Better be certain the move pays off. Loyalty to one allows for loyalty from others to be removed. 

insanity definition?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

4 pages of entries and 160+ votes for a 90% belief that we should be looking at Kelly. Stubbornness will eventually get you fired. Better be certain the move pays off. Loyalty to one allows for loyalty from others to be removed. 

insanity definition?

Is it possible they are using these last two games to make a determination, if it’s in the Colts best interest in having a CAP hit of 21.5M in 2020 with Jacoby? :facepalm:

34 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

insanity definition?

Its only the Kelly-ites voting.  Its common.  Happy people dont complain.

if you think 90% of “us” on this board think Kelly should start , you are nuts.  Maybe 90% of responders, but thats to be expected.

if Reich and Ballard make decisions based on what we think or want, then they SHOULD be fired.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

insanity definition?

Yeah, the pig-headedness of Ballard and Reich is damaging their decision-making reputation with the fan base...but they must not care about what the fan base thinks...dangerous arrogance on their part.

47 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Its only the Kelly-ites voting.  Its common.  Happy people dont complain.

if you think 90% of “us” on this board think Kelly should start , you are nuts.  Maybe 90% of responders, but thats to be expected.

if Reich and Ballard make decisions based on what we think or want, then they SHOULD be fired.

I don't consider myself a Kelly-ite just because I'd like to see him given a chance to actually play in a meaningful game.

As to the opinion percentage on this board... there is the option of voting no.

If a majority here are happy with the performance of Brissett, rather than remain silent, they could just vote no.

Being happy should not necessarily stop someone from giving an opinion in support of their view.

Currently only 17 have. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Is it possible they are using these last two games to make a determination, if it’s in the Colts best interest in having a CAP hit of 21.5M in 2020 with Jacoby? :facepalm:

Not much choice. JB stays, costs 21.5 million. JB released, still costs 12.5 million, but he's not on the roster. (saving 9 million)

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 11:50 PM, ojsglove said:

I love Frank as our coach, and I love the fact that our owner has let him do his job without micromanaging, but when his decisions start to affect the bottom line, I think we might see a change in Franks QB decision.

Actually, Frank Reich is just a consolation candidate that we settled on when McDouchbag backed out. I would like to see what an experienced HC like Rivera could do with the personnel we have (minus Brissett of course).

12 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Not much choice. JB stays, costs 21.5 million. JB released, still costs 12.5 million, but he's not on the roster. (saving 9 million)

I believe that contract has a lot to do with Ballard and Reich's reluctance to try Kelly.

It would involve benching JB. Their 2020 21.5 million dollar man. 

The benching may be more of a factor than their lack of confidence in Chad Kelly.

14 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I don't consider myself a Kelly-ite just because I'd like to see him given a chance to actually play in a meaningful game.

As to the opinion percentage on this board... there is the option of voting no.

If a majority here are happy with the performance of Brissett, rather than remain silent, they could just vote no.

Being happy should not necessarily stop someone from giving an opinion in support of their view.

Currently only 17 have. 

You dont have to be “happy” with JB to to be pro Kelly.  Or vice-versa.  I’d like to see Kelly in a meaningful game too .  But it doesn't serve us long term and going into next season as much i think.  
my point about the vote was that its like comment cards, phone-in talk shows, Politics, etc.  more people voice their opinions when they are dissatisfied than when they are content.  Just the way it works.

17 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

You dont have to be “happy” with JB to to be pro Kelly.  Or vice-versa.  I’d like to see Kelly in a meaningful game too .  But it doesn't serve us long term and going into next season as much i think.  
my point about the vote was that its like comment cards, phone-in talk shows, Politics, etc.  more people voice their opinions when they are dissatisfied than when they are content.  Just the way it works.

I see, and you do make a good point.  Probably, if they did do the qb switch, it may not serve us better long term.

But just perhaps... It might.

The slim possibility, that maybe... Kelly is the guy.

(or even if he's not the second coming of Unitas) it is possible that Kelly could simply be better than Brissett.

Now, going this way, none of us will ever know?

And what's at stake to lose?

Hurting Jacoby's feelings?

Or maybe more so... Hurting Ballard and Reich's egos? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I see, and you do make a good point.  Probably, if they did do the qb switch, it may not serve us better long term.

(or even if he's not the second coming of Unitas) it is possible that Kelly could simply be better than Brissett.

Im not saying Kelly isnt the guy.

But seeing him in these 2 doesnt have the immediate impact on the JB decision.  I expect kelly to be here next year.  They must see something.  But i also think that he would have to make such a dramatic jump to be a #1, that you still would need a 2nd option.  Is it JB?  Do they draft?  Kelly is cheap, JB we can cut and save some $.  
  For so many reasons we need to make a decision on JB first.  Then decide if Kelly is in the picture.  Further develop him and who knows.  

4 hours ago, MPStack said:

They aren’t going to cut Jacoby.  I think they still feel he’s the “guy” which is why they are so committed to him.  I know many here (myself included) disagree with that but I think that’s how the team sees it.

13 hours ago, MPStack said:

It’s quite possible they are evaluating him, hard. I’m just saying, if they force JB into trying to be the guy they need instead of the avg starter he has shown to be, it’s gonna get people fired eventually if he can’t turn it around. Maybe he can but they better be careful. They may be about the only 2 people in the country who feel JB warrants the risk currently. 

id like to see what Kelly has but I’m not pounding the table for him either. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

It also could serve two things. 1. It could show that Kelly is good enough that it shows the fan’s there could be hope in the QB spot next season because right now, a huge % thinks the QB position needs changed. 2. It could motivate JB further in the offseason should the team keep JB in the mix as starter, gives him more to prove in the offseason to keep the job as opposed to retain it through just the hIgh salary. This position is causing a lot of trouble in the Irsay kingdom right now. 

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think it’s safe to say the Colts don’t see Chad Kelly as anything more than a possible backup.  There is no other just cause not to play him right now.  He’s on the roster to learn and he will get a chance to win the backup job next year in camp IMO.

If, you don’t think Jacoby locked in to the tune of 21.5M next season with CAP isn’t playing a roll with Jacoby still playing, I beg to differ with anyone. Be a good time to rest the knee too? Right? 

25 minutes ago, Myles said:

Jacoby has not earned the right to start in the final game.  

Start Chad!

At least you can see what you have in a more clear way.  

So, what if they started Swag and he played well? Does this complicate things going into the off season? What does it do to Brissett’s confidence? I don’t know, but playing Brissett in meaningless games is strange. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

So, what if they started Swag and he played well? Does this complicate things going into the off season? What does it do to Brissett’s confidence? I don’t know, but playing Brissett in meaningless games is strange. 

It might, but in a good way.   Almost always good when you find the back up may be better than the starter.   I think what it could do to Brissetts's confidence is offset by what it would do to his feeling that he has to work on his game in the offseason.   Right now he has to think that he could play mediocre ball and keep the starting job.  

Just now, Myles said:

It might, but in a good way.   Almost always good when you find the back up may be better than the starter.   I think what it could do to Brissetts's confidence is offset by what it would do to his feeling that he has to work on his game in the offseason.   Right now he has to think that he could play mediocre ball and keep the starting job.  

Kelly is a mystery to me. If, the FO had any notion the guy might have potential to be a future starter or solid backup, then he should have played yesterday and against the Jaguars. Let me be clear, I’m not in the “CK fan club” but he’s on the roster and you risk drafting a guy high in the 2020 draft without seeing CK play before next preseason. Do I think CK is the next Curt Warner? Absolutely, not! However, leave no stone unturned when out of the playoffs. 

• Like 1

Not knowing what's really going on, fans tend to speculate why Chad Kelly isn't being used this year. Aaron Rogers sat behind Brett Favre in order to learn and improve his craft. That didn't work out too bad for Rogers. If the Colts told Kelly (in advance) they thought a year of development was in his best interest, and not that he was in a "prove it purgatory", that would make more sense to me. Some people just assume the worst. He may be the next Aaron Rogers. We won't know which for a while.