Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Chad Kelly? (Poll)

1959Colts

Free Chad Kelly? (Poll)  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Is week 16 the time for Chad Kelly to start?

• Yes. The season is over, lets see what Chad (Swag) Kelly can do.
    • No. The 2019 Colts team is Brissett's to the bitter end

14 hours ago, MPStack said:

Kelly is a mystery to me. If, the FO had any notion the guy might have potential to be a future starter or solid backup, then he should have played yesterday and against the Jaguars. Let me be clear, I’m not in the “CK fan club” but he’s on the roster and you risk drafting a guy high in the 2020 draft without seeing CK play before next preseason. Do I think CK is the next Curt Warner? Absolutely, not! However, leave no stone unturned when out of the playoffs. 

This...... X8

I just want to check a box with CK.....

Does he suck with the first team?  Y/N?

I also am not part of the CK fan club.......  I would like to see what he's got

Part of me wonders if they are really doing an complete evaluation of JB.

Is he playing for even a backup spot for next year

If you cant play...... you gotta go

• Like 2

I believe this has been said already, maybe in other ways. But, from an organizational stand-point, you do not give your plan B a try unless you are ready to make the decision that your plan A isn't going to work. 'Not working' is not the same thing as 'not going to work'.

The Colts have to be 100% ready to walk away from their current QB if they think they'll sit a healthy Brissett to let Chad Kelly have a start. It possible the move could spark intense competition that makes them both better. Its happened before. But its not the only thing that has happened before. You could also destroy a budding confidence who may never recover as well as trespass on a fragile eco-system that is rooting for 'their guy' (Brissett's allies, aka 'the locker room').

In the football world, the business world, and personal relationships; you just don't start looking to see what you have in a new thing, if you aren't ready to destroy the old thing. You have to be done with it. It is my belief the Colts aren't there yet. Not for Chad Kelley, at least. The draft, that's different - that's just business. But sitting your starting quarterback just to see if the other guy is good enough, could/would damage the faith and confidence Brissett is going to need to become the guy we all need. If there is any chance of that remaining, and for sure there are glimpses of that, then no way does a competent headcoach (nor a front office) allow themselves to undermine Jacoby Brissett.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, lester said:

I believe this has been said already, maybe in other ways. But, from an organizational stand-point, you do not give your plan B a try unless you are ready to make the decision that your plan A isn't going to work. 'Not working' is not the same thing as 'not going to work'.

The Colts have to be 100% ready to walk away from their current QB if they think they'll sit a healthy Brissett to let Chad Kelly have a start. It possible the move could spark intense competition that makes them both better. Its happened before. But its not the only thing that has happened before. You could also destroy a budding confidence who may never recover as well as trespass on a fragile eco-system that is rooting for 'their guy' (Brissett's allies, aka 'the locker room').

In the football world, the business world, and personal relationships; you just don't start looking to see what you have in a new thing, if you aren't ready to destroy the old thing. You have to be done with it. It is my belief the Colts aren't there yet. Not for Chad Kelley, at least. The draft, that's different - that's just business. But sitting your starting quarterback just to see if the other guy is good enough, could/would damage the faith and confidence Brissett is going to need to become the guy we all need. If there is any chance of that remaining, and for sure there are glimpses of that, then no way does a competent headcoach (nor a front office) allow themselves to undermine Jacoby Brissett.

This is a good post. Quite a lot of people have moved on though. That's where this is coming from. 

1 hour ago, HOZER said:

Anyone know if he’ll be active for the final game? Checked roster and he’s in there just not sure if available? Be nice to see him in 4th quarter at least!

Based on the Colts rhetoric, I would be quite shocked if Kelly is active today. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

They do.   That's why their love for JB is puzzling (or not).

It's easy for the fan base to say start Kelly but it's Kelly himself that has to earn the opportunity to start. The fan base are not the ones who see Kelly everyday. 

It has zero to do with Brissett. 

2 hours ago, lester said:

I get it. But in a meaningless game, in the fourth quarter, maybe even with a lead, why not give the kid a shot to see what he’s got? It could help make the decision on keeping Hoyer, or maybe if he really looked good(although it is just the Jags) maybe he could become a more valuable trade chip? Not really worried about hurting Brissetts feelings at this point in the season, It’s become pretty evident that he’s going to be “the guy” next season too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's easy for the fan base to say start Kelly but it's Kelly himself that has to earn the opportunity to start. The fan base are not the ones who see Kelly everyday. 

It has zero to do with Brissett. 

Still kissing JB's * now? Wake up SweetPea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

If that is all you can come up with you are lame. 

I guess you are having a hard time understanding the thread is about Kelly. 

What is lame is you defending somebody who isn't compent enough to lead a team. You love JB. We get it. Kelly kicked his * in preseason and he has no business'leading' a team. You're gonna hate next year when they draft somebody to actually do the job. Get off yor knees.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crush22 said:

What is lame is you defending somebody who isn't compent enough to lead a team. You love JB. We get it. Kelly kicked his * in preseason and he has no business'leading' a team. You're gonna hate next year when they draft somebody to actually do the job. Get off yor knees.

If Kelly was better,  he would be playing. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Crush22 said:

I guess your reading comprehension is very low. 

Insults do not bother me because you have to matter to someone. and that ain't happening here with me. 

Now that the season is over, the only reason I see Chad on the roster and not cut was to see if he can stay clean, learn the system and compete next season. JB is the starter day 1 next year. The only way CK will play if for an injury to occur. I like CK. His stats in college are better than JB. Won more big games in college. Was projected as a top 5 qb coming out of college until he got hurt his senior season. Remember CK only played 2 years at Ole Miss and beat the National Champions both seasons. Jacoby was unknown until got to replace Brady for a couple of games. Yes, I was excited in how he played the 2017 season. But now he has had a complete year as started with full team support. Yes there were injuries. Great qbs make unknown players good (Manning, Brady, Brees, Mahones, Rogers, etc.) JB could not.  Kelly showed in preseason that he could work with 4th, 5th string wrs and score. JB has not been able to score with 1st wrs.  My hope as a long time Colts fan (43 yrs) That CK will get a legitimate chance next season (if he can stay clean).  There are only 3 qbs in draft worth drafting high. They will be gone before the Colts draft. That being said the Colts have their qbs for next year.  If you want to compare college stats: Kelly played in the SEC  Brissett in the ACC

Chad Kelly    Ole Miss    SEC

Career     513/803  63.9   6858  50   21      150.9

Jacoby Brissett   Florida/ NC State

Career  499/839   59.5  5723  46   15   131.3

Season is over in the past. All we can do is talk about the future.. We all should agree that 2020 will be better than 2019.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Chad Kelly: best inactive QB in the league.

Chad is legendary!!! He is still 10X better than what we are getting out of JB. My hopes are these:

1. We draft a legit QB with 1st pick

2. we get a legit QB via FA

3. Kelly gets a real chance to compete next season and see what he has with the #1’s

4. Hoyer is asked to clear his locker immediately. In fact, here is your box of crap, we cleaned it out for you. JB’s box is on standby pending the new competition. 
5. regardless of the new route to a QB next season, JB is not at the given helm. If he somehow earns the right by showing a drastic and dramatic turn of events in his play, then we are probably in trouble because someone can’t evaluate very well. 

• Like 3

I think it was dumb not to have Kelly play this last game to see how he could play again.  What's the reason to keep him locked away in the locker room?  Plus whoever mentioned Phillip Rivers...NO! Arrggh that would be awful.  Tell Hoyer byeeeee!

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 7:17 PM, jvan1973 said:

If Kelly was better,  he would be playing. 

I'm not so sure about that. Why did the Colts blow smoke about Vinny being their kicker, let him continue his down slide until they put him on IR and claim he is injured? Why not cut him for a better option early on.

4 hours ago, MCurtis32 said:

I'm not so sure about that. Why did the Colts blow smoke about Vinny being their kicker, let him continue his down slide until they put him on IR and claim he is injured? Why not cut him for a better option early on.

Perhaps,  they had better info than we do

I still think Kelly will get a fair chance to win the starting job next season(and I think he will) I have no idea the logic behind him taking a roster spot yet refusing to play him when the starting qb was averaging 150 yards a game. And apparently Hilton has been questioning it also

• Like 2

On 12/29/2019 at 7:42 PM, lester said:

In the football and business world if you are not performing there is a good chance you get replaced. The age old saying 'it's not personal it's business' comes to mind in this scenario. Or if the Colts are that worried about hurting JB's feelings then they could tell him they don't want to risk our QB1 getting injured so instead we are gonna start the backup as these games don't even matter for the season... as it's over...because we were't good enough. Also, not sure how confident JB was feeling from the 2nd half of the season onwards.

There is a chance Kelly also sucks but we won't know now.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 5:55 PM, Joecolt15 said:

Now that the season is over, the only reason I see Chad on the roster and not cut was to see if he can stay clean, learn the system and compete next season. 

I think this may be partially correct. The fan base isn't very patient. The coaches and front office probably are VERY patient. I don't think they would have kept Kelly if they didn't see potential in spite of the risks. Let Kelly develop in a controlled manner, and develop good habits (on and off the field). We don't want to kill potential by pushing it too far, too fast. It also gives us a chance to see if maturity comes to those who wait.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 9:47 PM, Two_pound said:

I still think Kelly will get a fair chance to win the starting job next season(and I think he will) I have no idea the logic behind him taking a roster spot yet refusing to play him when the starting qb was averaging 150 yards a game. And apparently Hilton has been questioning it also

link?

8 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

As far as we've heard, absolutely agree. And, not bashing, part of FR's 'debt' to Swag's Uncle Jim has been repaid.

He’s a mystery that could create some noise with a solid TC and preseason in 2020.

However, I still say Swags chances of being a starter for the Colts eventually is less than 10%. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MPStack said:

He’s a mystery that could create some noise with a solid TC and preseason in 2020.

However, I still say Swags chances of being a starter for the Colts eventually is less than 10%. 

To me.... you open up the QB spot to competition...

without the "JB is our QB" corporate line

Make him earn it

The best QB STARTS

The NEXT BEST QB, is the back up.

Let CK, JB,  and a drafted rookie, compete to be the QB starter of the 2020 Indianapolis Colts

Let Hoyer go as he isnt in the competition to be a starter

I have no idea how much CB likes Love or any other college QB. 

We have 3 picks in the first 45, we could fill some big holes with talent that could contribute immediately at these 3 spots.

Pick 1 - Best 3T DL on board

Other than a functioning QB, this is the BIGGEST need on this team

The defense DOESNT work if there is no pressure from the 3T spot

Pick 2 - Best WR or OT on the board

Pick 3 - Best OT or WR on the board

Pick 4 (3rd round pick) - Anthony Gordon, or another QB to develop

None of the QBs (Outside of Tua and Burrows) are ready to take NFL starting snaps.

Who knows.... maybe CK becomes our starter in a full fair evaluation, and if he gets and keeps his head out of his posterior

• Like 2