Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Chad Kelly? (Poll)

1959Colts

Free Chad Kelly? (Poll)  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Is week 16 the time for Chad Kelly to start?

• Yes. The season is over, lets see what Chad (Swag) Kelly can do.
    • No. The 2019 Colts team is Brissett's to the bitter end

I just put in the thread about Ballard That I don't know how you can justify keeping Brissett out there. He won't be back next year so why not put Kelly in there. Brissett was beyond awful tonight, and I think the defense had no intensity relative to how bad Brissett was. Give Chad the ball and let's go!

• Like 1

Hey lollygagger8, that's good, it's also why professional sports is so mystifying. And they did use Willams tonight he had the holding call on the first punt that was downed at the 1, then the second one was blocked because Wilkins held the guy who blocked it and then the saints got 10 yards tacked on. Doesn't it feel like sometimes you're in fantasy land watching Colt games?

7 hours ago, blackcoffeeguy said:

Supposedly Frank told one of the announcers tonight that Brissett is his guy. So that tells me that he will ride Brissett like the sinking ship he is and go to a watery grave. He's too enamored of Brissett to ever take a chance that he might be replaced by a draft pick or ... gasp....that wild guy Chad Kelly. 

As long as Reich keeps saying that, I'll keep betting accordingly. Just as well make some money off of Reich's stubbornness/blindness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I took the Saints -8.5 last night. Pretty simple and easy bet. It'll be interesting to see the line this week.

Jared, before last nights game they already had the early line on the Colts/Panthers. Colts -6.5. I wish I would have placed then. It's off the board this morning after last nights % show.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hammer said:

Jared, before last nights game they already had the early line on the Colts/Panthers. Colts -6.5. I wish I would have placed then. It's off the board this morning after last nights % show.

wow... I would of taken the Panthers in a heartbeat. That's too bad. :(

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Looks like the Panthers are willing to try changing to their rookie QB.

This maybe, in part, is why the line went "off the board" ?

Now if only the Colts would give Kelly his chance.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28314089/panthers-go-grier-qb-colts

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Kelly should have started the 2nd half. Brissett was a 3rd stringer 

in NE and is a 2nd stringer in Indy. He is what he is....

You are right, Kelly should have played the 2nd half. But he could not, because the Colts always have him "inactive" on gameday.

I predict this will continue thru these next two games, just so they can save face with JB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

I just put in the thread about Ballard That I don't know how you can justify keeping Brissett out there. He won't be back next year so why not put Kelly in there. Brissett was beyond awful tonight, and I think the defense had no intensity relative to how bad Brissett was. Give Chad the ball and let's go!

Ballard doesn't control who starts and who doesn't.  That's a coach's job. and forcing a coach to play someone is exactly what got Ryan Grigson in trouble and a sign of a bad GM. Ballard's job is to fill the roster, the coach's job is to evaluate and play whoever. That said, I'm sure it'll be discussed but Ballard wont over rule and shouldnt over rule Reich

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Even Doug Marone benched multi million dollar QB Nick Foles for being ineffective, in favor of their rookie.

The Colts management needs to show the fans they will do the same.

The same management than didn’t have the balls to cut Vinny or IR is killed us early in the season 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

The staff obviously doesn't think Kelly is the answer then. QB needs

to be addressed in the offseason.

I honestly have to question if the staff really thinks that?

Or, perhaps, they simply may have blind loyalty to Brissett (whom they paid and repeatedly stated is "their guy") and don't want to embarrass him.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Kelly is not the answer no matter how you feel about Brissett. 

Taking one pre season game and assuming he is better than Brissett is a joke. 

Taking zero regular season games and assuming he is "not the answer" is a joke. 

Maybe he stinks, maybe he'll prove capable, maybe he'd be a better option for backup QB.  The only way to determine that is, well, let him play.

JB has shown through 2 NFL seasons as a starting QB that he is not a NFL starting QB.  In my view, he should either stay on as the designated backup or be released and let some other team have him.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Jdubu said:

At this point, you out Kelly in and see if he displays any elite QB traits. Heck, see if he has the basic ones like hitting open receivers, looking at more than 1 player as a target. Win lose or draw with him doesn’t matter at all to me, I want to see what QB traits he carries with live bullets. JB has blown his wad all over himself and has nothing to show for it except a mess. 

The man that signs the checks should gracefully step in with kind words and admit it has been a tough season and it is now time to evaluate some of the younger talent. 
Jacksonville is a fine example.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I honestly have to question if the staff really thinks that?

Or, perhaps, they simply may have blind loyalty to Brissett (whom they paid and repeatedly stated is "their guy") and doesn't want to embarrass him.

The staff will lose credibility if they are solid with Brisset. I for one am

not excited about about another Brisset led team next year.

9 hours ago, TheCount said:

colt1  I have seen every pass that Chad Kelly has thrown in college and preseason.  Gardner Minshew is from my hometown saw nearly every pass he threw in HS and his last year at WSU.  I would take Gardner over JB and I would take Kelly over Gardner.  Kelly and Gardner are more accurate that JB.  Kelly has one of the strongest arms in the league and that is not up for debate.  Can he improve of course Chad can.  Kelly was not any trouble at Ole Miss despite what you hear.  The coaches and CB are caught kind of like the Jags were with Foles.  The paid all this money and should not have.  They are so scared that Kelly will show up and show out that they will have to answer for their decisions.  Management has to show some courage.

I'm an Ole Miss grad so I watched every game Kelly played in.  He was really good.  The only trouble I remember him getting in was him running on the field of his little brother's football came and confronting someone who hit him illegally.  He tore up his knee and that, on top of his past issues, dropped him to the 7th round.  I think Denver really wanted to keep him but cut him due to the optics of his last incident.  

The only reason not to give Kelly a start is if they really believe in JB.  

• Like 2

We and the Colts, will never know if they don't give him a chance now.  Practice doesn't tell everything if that is what the Colts are hanging their hat on.... JB likely looks like a world beater in practice; but it isn't translating to the game..

• Like 1

I seen Kelly play in 4 preseason games. You must have missed a few.

And his states were pretty damn good in all of them.

9 hours ago, TheCount said:

They are so scared that Kelly will show up and show out that they will have to answer for their decisions.  Management has to show some courage.

No, coaches aren't afraid of winning.  Sometimes they do operate like they have blinders on, though.

9 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

There also has to be a reason that he wasn't sent back to the PS.

Once on a roster, a player must be cut/released. If a vet, he's a free agent.  Otherwise, the player hits the waiver wire and can be picked by anybody, lowest on totem pole served first.

9 hours ago, zibby43 said:

I can tell you the reason - anyone on the practice squad can be signed to another team.

True, but the team that has him can promote him to their 53 man roster averting the issue.

8 hours ago, coltsva said:

In that case, they’ll start noticing it this Sunday.

Or more opposing fans jerseys...

12 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

We and the Colts, will never know if they don't give him a chance now.  Practice doesn't tell everything if that is what the Colts are hanging their hat on.... JB likely looks like a world beater in practice; but it isn't translating to the game..

I believe this is a phenomenon. Could it apply here?

20 minutes ago, MPStack said:

*sigh*. Just get the feeling all these polls and surveys won’t matter. In the end I still think they’re going to trout out JB. However - if he plays bad again and starts getting booed at home THEN they’ll unleash kelly. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bhougland said:

The thing I hate the most about this season is not the record, or even Brissett, but the confidence I am losing in our coach and GM.  I really liked Ballard and Reich.  I always knew Brissett wasn't the guy, but I had hope we were in good hands from a management perspective.  I am really not so sure anymore.

I feel like our organization has no transparency, won't make the tough calls, and sticks to poor performing players.  I don't know if it is because Ballard and Reich are boyscouts, or someone has blackmail.  Whatever the case it tells me they are either poor talent evaluators, or incapable of making the tough moves that will make this organization successful.  

My hope is fading fast ...

Yeah..the more they push Brissett and hide Kelly, the less confidence I have in their decision-making ability.

10 hours ago, bhougland said:

The thing I hate the most about this season is not the record, or even Brissett, but the confidence I am losing in our coach and GM.  I really liked Ballard and Reich.  I always knew Brissett wasn't the guy, but I had hope we were in good hands from a management perspective.  I am really not so sure anymore.

I feel like our organization has no transparency, won't make the tough calls, and sticks to poor performing players.  I don't know if it is because Ballard and Reich are boyscouts, or someone has blackmail.  Whatever the case it tells me they are either poor talent evaluators, or incapable of making the tough moves that will make this organization successful.  

My hope is fading fast ...

I will say this.  A great majority of the people here did not like Pagano as a coach.   But one thing you can say about him was that the team showed up every game and played hard for him until the end.  After watching that game last night I believe that this team did not show up and play hard at all.  That is worrisome for me. 

• Like 2

Just now, adubb84 said:

*sigh*. Just get the feeling all these polls and surveys won’t matter. In the end I still think they’re going to trout out JB. However - if he plays bad again and starts getting booed at home THEN they’ll unleash kelly. 

The brass is well aware of them by now. Worst case is the Colts roll with JB one more year.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I will say this.  A great majority of the people here did not like Pagano as a coach.   But one thing you can say about him was that the team showed up every game and played hard for him until the end.  After watching that game last night I believe that this team did not show up and play hard at all.  That is worrisome for me. 

They absolutely quit last night. Did anyone notice T.Y.’s reaction with the short terrible pass from Brissett that T.Y. couldn’t handle. He looked disgusted. 

• Like 2