Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts passing game is a joke

BProland85

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

I like how jacobi's playing and I'm glad is in the rushing yards however it seems that we are in a bit of a funk Martins will just lock down our receivers. I know that funchess and Hilton have not played much lately but our passing game has to get better

The Colts have a passing game? Who knew?

• Like 3

That's kind of bad that we are this far along in the season and we still can't put together drives through the air to put some points on the board.    Not a good thing.  He should be able to trust the guy by now to get something going for us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Both will be 7-5 after game 12. We’re still in the hunt and control our destiny, if we beat Saints, that’s the key game

In the hunt for a WC sure. But assuming IND beats TEN and HOU loses to NE...both teams are 7-5. IF they both run the table...they are 11-5...tied in the h2h, tied in divisional record and tied in common games. At that point, it would come down to AFC games...and the Colts can't catch HOU there...because they lost to LAC and OAK...whom HOU beat. HOU would be 4-2 in AFC games (outside the division) and IND would be 2-4.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

We get that Williams td on all runs and then we come back and go three and out on all passes. There was nothing imaginative about this game. The only good news is Williams ran great. We should of come out passing and exploited that secondary.

The quarterback isn't good enough to do that! Not even against this ragtag collection of clowns! JB ain't it. 

17 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I mean, all you have to do is watch Watson's eyes compared to Brissett. Watson keeps his eyes downfield and looks for the play, Brissett is all too quick to look for a bail out with his RB.

And Watson is not even one of the best QBs at eliminating and isolating his reads... And the difference is still obvious.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Disappointing game.

Plenty of blame to go around specifically on offense. I don't think this was the best play calling Reich has done, TY dropped a couple balls that should have been caught, and this game (particularly the second half) was a chance for Jacoby to step up and lead this team on some key drives and he didn't get it done.

While all of the Colts games this year (except last week vs Jacksonville) have been close I think the Colts continue to show they are an average team. I was hoping they would come out and take care of business tonight but it was more of what they have been all year.

Obviously the Colts are still very much in the mix for the playoffs despite the loss tonight but they don't appear trending upward much from where they were earlier this season and that's disappointing. 

I have to say it gets very odd at times to see a guy attempt any number of play action passes the whole season and he can never find anybody open.  Luck used to kill people coming off the play action.  I don't get why he can just never find any receivers open.

• Like 1

It’s becoming a patter with Jacoby too.

Drop back in the pocket that is perfectly clean

-Stand around looking down field

-Pump fake

-Get sacked or run for minimal gain.

His indecisiveness is killing us. He won’t even throw the ball away when he should. He’ll just keep holding the ball until he gets tackled.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I was someone who was really supportive of Brissett as the starter, but in recent weeks, I've been very unimpressed.  Two 300 yard games all season, only three 250+ yard games.  It feels like he's constantly looking for the check down right away.  Also doesn't help that the pass protection hasn't been all that great recently either.

Yep. The conservative short yard pass doesn't help you win the big games. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I have to say it gets very odd at times to see a guy attempt any number of play action passes the whole season and he can never find anybody open.  Luck used to kill people coming off the play action.  I don't get why he can just never find any receivers open.

Because Jacoby needs the receiver to be college open.  Heck he didn't even average anywhere near 300 yrds per game in college.  He is not the guy, no matter how much the team and coaches like him.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s becoming a patter with Jacoby too.

Drop back in the pocket that is perfectly clean

-Stand around looking down field

-Pump fake

-Get sacked or run for minimal gain.

His indecisiveness is killing us. He won’t even throw the ball away when he should. He’ll just keep holding the ball until he gets tackled.

As much as I agree with this, he's the best option available.  Even if we were one of the teams interested in Kaepernick, he kinda burned his bridge for a chance.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think a lot of that has to do with speed. We don’t have any speed. TY clearly wasn’t full go. We might of been better off if he hadn’t played.

25 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Remember the Jacoby is the type of QB I’ll rather have over Mahomes and Watson talk he got earlier lmao Homerism at it’s finest 

No way... you have quotes?

23 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Hopefully nobody really said that, that's beyond ridiculous.

Same, not sure anyone has.

OTOH, if Fuller and Hopkins played fior the Colts tonight, I think our passing numbers would be notably better.

A hobbled TY wasn't good enough. :(  Pass pro has been flimsy as well.

4 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

our qb had no one who could catch the ball, cant beat a team who has pro bowl receivers, superior talent usually wins, use our cap to get some talent ballard, please no more low round project receivers

Hilton, Ebron, Pascal, Doyle..... We have players that can catch. The problem is our Qb.

• Like 1

People blaming Ballard and Reich? Really? 

Luck won with these guys "that can't get open", so please stop with the "Ballard didn't do enough" crap, that's not what this is about. Luck retired 2 weeks before the season, or this team may be undefeated, again this isn't on coaching or management. Jacoby Brissett isn't able to make plays with this set of weapons, how is it Ballard's fault that the guy he had planned to utilize those weapons (the one that won Comeback Player of the Year with them) retired right before the season? Answer: it isn't. They didn't build this team for slow-* Jacoby Brissett to misread everything and be entirely too slow to make any of the reads necessary to implement Frank Reich's offense. 

After this season, they will spend the cap, if for no other reason than they have to, get some playmakers, they're gonna draft a guy that can run this offense, and next year this team will be firing on all cylinders. 

• Like 1

I would love to say JB is the future but the offensive production when the team isn’t relying on the running game is atrocious.   He can’t anticipate receivers open with his throws AT ALL.   He looks lost most of the time....even on short throws he has trouble leading the receiver and throwing accurately.   Probably a super nice guy but we don’t need a Patriot reject as our future QB.   And BTW, I have watched every game, monitor his stats and watch other franchise QB’s as comparison.   He’s not even a game manager if he can’t make the throws he needs to when asked.   I don’t think it would matter how many great receivers we had...I truly believe he wouldn’t throw them open and his Passing yards/completions would still be dismal.  And a low TD to interception rate isn’t a good stat when someone only averages 150 yds a game...

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

And Watson is not even one of the best QBs at eliminating and isolating his reads... And the difference is still obvious.

Yeah, obvious is almost an undersatement. Watching JB was very predictable tonight. Scanning, pump fake/looking for his safety net, scramble. 

People will blame Reich and our receivers, but it seems like Brissett can't/won't hit receivers coming out of their breaks. They have to be wide open and by then it's usually too late and the DB's have recovered.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, yankeeclipper said:

Get us a Marvin Harrison or Reggie Wayne to complement Hilton and things would be different. JB may be holding onto the ball more because he does not have receivers who can get open

Have u watched any other NFL games this year?  Tell me of another legit starting qb who is worth anything who resembles JBs play?  Even when Hoyer played he looked decisive. Sure , he liked to throw to the other team, but at least he threw the ball looking like he knew what he was doing. JB looks lost. We can say its the receivers...the tight ends or the qb.  The draft will once and for all tell us what the coaches and front office  feel the real problem is.  I will watch the remainder of the season but they are not winning the divison.  I think they r the 3rd best team in the divison.  They have  taken a step back and I think teams have caught on.  What is kind of impressive is being able to run as well as they do with a back up qb.

22 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I was someone who was really supportive of Brissett as the starter, but in recent weeks, I've been very unimpressed.  Two 300 yard games all season, only three 250+ yard games.  It feels like he's constantly looking for the check down right away.  Also doesn't help that the pass protection hasn't been all that great recently either.

I can’t tell if it’s Brissett not making the correct reads and holding onto the ball or the offensive line is really struggling to pass protect.

Just now, Chloe6124 said:

I think a lot of that has to do with speed. We don’t have any speed. TY clearly wasn’t full go. We might of been better off if he hadn’t played.

I don't think that's it.  I think we do have people open, but JB either doesn't see them fast enough or he does see them and then delivers the ball late.  No way Frank dials up a game plan with Luck that consists of run the ball damn near every single play for an entire game.  Something in JBs operation Frank doesnt trust.  I can't say exactly what it is, but like many have said the Texans secondary was injury riddled so we should have had some room to exploit that.

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Brissett is garbage. Time to get a new QB. I don't mind being a running team, but not because Brissett is so awful we have too.

Geez, I thought we could get a 2nd rounder for Brissett in the off-season, but I don't think anyone would give us even a 3rd.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ColtsFan_98 said:

Does anyone even think the Texans game would be close or that we would even have half the losses we have if Andrew Luck was our quarterback?

Andrew Luck? Reich says the Colts are a running team and until he says different there is no need for a Watson or Wilson type QB.

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Because he doesn't see the field well and has no anticipation. A lot of playaction relies on him making a quick decision after the fake before the defense realizes they are being faked. And a lot of those decision need to be made with anticipation of the receiver getting open by the time the ball gets there, rather than the receiver being open at the time of the throw. Brissett doesn't throw to receivers that look even remotely covered.

And it's holding this team back.  There's not much we can do about it this year.  But I expect to address it or at least create some meaningful competition in the offseason.  JBs not hte guy and this, "it's his first season" stuff is garbage.  He's a 4th year pro.  If he can't play like a 4th year pro today, he's not going to play like a 4 or even 5 year pro tomorrow.

• Like 4