Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts passing game is a joke

BProland85

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The first meeting they played man. Reich just said they played a lot of zone tonight can’t and we didn’t execute.

Yep...of course HOU adjusted. They weren't going to let Reich run rub routes and pick plays all game again.  

You take those away and the passing offense is just not very good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Hooker left Nuk wide open for a TD. Hilton dropped two very catch-able passes. How is this all on Brissett when the rest of the team made mistakes?

All Brissett has to do is lead this team to 21 points with a weakened Texans secondary. Despite Hilton dropping it twice, Brissett made little to no impact in this game against one of the easiest pass defenses of the year. Reich ran it so much because he knows Brissett is a bad QB and he doesn't trust him. Brissett proved him right Thursday. 129 yards and no tds Vs a banged up Texans secondary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Yep...of course HOU adjusted. They weren't going to let Reich run rub routes and pick plays all game again.  

You take those away and the passing offense is just not very good.

Man, I saw a play where a receiver was running acrossed the field WIDE OPEN and I kept thinking "Throw the ball!" and like 4 seconds later Brissett finally looks and sees the open guy and throws, but it's way too late. People can blame Reich all they want, but if JB is able to read a defense and make timely decisions, this game is much different. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, krunk said:

I have to say it gets very odd at times to see a guy attempt any number of play action passes the whole season and he can never find anybody open.  Luck used to kill people coming off the play action.  I don't get why he can just never find any receivers open.

Same.  I'll be firing up all 22 in a couple days and see\

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That Miami and Steelers loss is going to bite us in the but. All I want know is to get the WR healthy and see what we have.  Texans did a very good job in converage but offense needs to step up.

Raiders loss is bad. they are in the wildcard race too.

18 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Hilton, Ebron, Pascal, Doyle..... We have players that can catch. The problem is our Qb.

Ebron had 4 catches in 5 targets, Doyle had 3 catches in 4 targets, Williams 3 catches on 3 targets.  Hines 2 catches in 3 targets.  Chester Rogers was 1 catch, 1 target.   It was TY that was only 3 catches on 6 targets. 2 of those right in his hands that was unfortunately dropped / broken up.

Pascal and Johnson had 1 target each, no catches. But it was not pretty.

36 minutes ago, krunk said:

I have to say it gets very odd at times to see a guy attempt any number of play action passes the whole season and he can never find anybody open.  Luck used to kill people coming off the play action.  I don't get why he can just never find any receivers open.

because that is why most of our current receivers were undrafted, they cant get open, get us some young proven receivers ballard spend the cap

4 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Man, I saw a play where a receiver was running acrossed the field WIDE OPEN and I kept thinking "Throw the ball!" and like 4 seconds later Brissett finally looks and sees the open guy and throws, but it's way too late. People can blame Reich all they want, but if JB is able to read a defense and make timely decisions, this game is much different. 

I am not blaming Reich...he is working within the confines of his personnel.

The rub routes and pick plays work so well for JB...because it schemes open the first read...which is where he throws it. When teams go to zone and take that away...the passing offense (predictably) sputters. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Play clock was running down.  But I agree.  It was a bad idea to go for it on 4th and 7 to begin with, but then you end up burning a timeout and going for it again?  Just punt it and you'll have 3 timeouts and pin them deep in their own territory.  Reich got out-coached badly this game

Exactly. Take the delay penalty, keep the T.O. and punt. Oh well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

All Brissett has to do is lead this team to 21 points with a weakened Texans secondary. Despite Hilton dropping it twice, Brissett made little to no impact in this game against one of the easiest pass defenses of the year. Reich ran it so much because he knows Brissett is a bad QB and he doesn't trust him. Brissett proved him right Thursday. 129 yards and no tds Vs a banged up Texans secondary.

He should play Kelly then like I have posted. If he really thinks JB is bad then why not? After watching that whole game, JB had little opportunity to throw down field because of play calling. I love the run 1st mentality but that was a little much on Reich's part. It is not like JB can't sling it either, dude has a cannon for an arm.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He should play Kelly then like I have posted. If he really thinks JB is bad then why not? After watching that whole game, JB had little opportunity to throw down field because of play calling. I love the run 1st mentality but that was a little much on Reich's part. It is not like JB can't sling it either, dude has a cannon for an arm,

I agree at this point. However, since we are 6-5, and still competing, Reich will use Brissett for the final 5 games, no matter how bad he is.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

All Brissett has to do is lead this team to 21 points with a weakened Texans secondary. Despite Hilton dropping it twice, Brissett made little to no impact in this game against one of the easiest pass defenses of the year. Reich ran it so much because he knows Brissett is a bad QB and he doesn't trust him. Brissett proved him right Sunday. 129 yards and no tds Vs a banged up Texans secondary.

You're ignoring the big picture, friend.

Reich chose a run heavy attack because the Texans are also missing Watt and Clowney. Brissett also scored, so how exactly did he make no impact? 

47 minutes ago, krunk said:

Well, the first part of the problem is he never goes through a progression to see if anyone is open. He knows who he’s targeting before the snap and everyone else is just out there. 

But more than that I’ve not been impressed with his sell on the play action. It’s like an unwanted added motion for him. He doesn’t really go all out to make it look like a handoff. Hard to fool defenses with a lesser effort there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree at this point. However, since we are 6-5, and still competing, Reich will use Brissett for the final 5 games, no matter how bad he is.

I like Reich but I can't believe as well as we can run it we don't try throwing the ball down the field at least 4 or 5 times for 40+ yards. Makes no sense to me. As bad as JB played tonight, we still could've won this game had we took more shots down the field. I thought Chuck was on the sideline again watching that bologna haha 

Just now, Four2itus said:

I have seen bigger spines in a jelly fish than this fan base. :D Man, we lose and a pound of flesh MUST be extracted. 

The children are always out in full force after a Colts loss. Annoying, comical and pathetic all rolled into one.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, colt18 said:

You're ignoring the big picture, friend.

Reich chose a run heavy attack because the Texans are also missing Watt and Clowney. Brissett also scored, so how exactly did he make no impact? 

He ran for a TD technically, but that was due to a wide open running lane by the O-Line. That's something that he'll do 2-3 times a year and means nothing towards his passing development. I enjoyed it, but not in combination with him doing nothing else.

1 minute ago, runthepost said:

What we going to do? Run the ball 25 times then get torched by Mike Thomas and Kamara 

I’m actually not worried about Kamara. Our run defense is stout. 

Thomas?

I’m nervous. He’s a big dude, and he’s got a juicy matchup against our smaller DBs. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like Reich but I can't believe as well as we can run it we don't try throwing the ball down the field at least 4 or 5 times for 40+ yards. Makes no sense to me. As bad as JB played tonight, we still could've won this game had we took more shots down the field. I thought Chuck was on the sideline again watching that bologna haha 

my thoughts too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I know they got smoked at home to Atlanta!

They sure did get smoked. I doubt it happens again. 

Just now, John Waylon said:

I’m actually not worried about Kamara. Our run defense is stout. 

Thomas?

I’m nervous. He’s a big dude, and he’s got a juicy matchup against our smaller DBs. 

Kamara when he lines up at receiver is the nightmare I’m talking about.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Can’t believe we can’t get anything going in the passing game against one of the most beat up secondaries in the NFL.

We really need receivers that can get open quick outside of Hilton. 

Good luck in finding WRs that can get REALLY WIDE OPEN, because that's the only time JB will even attempt to throw the ball.  

I don't know if he's just so afraid of throwing an int. or just can't go throw his reads fast enough, but this game really exposed his weaknesses IMO.  

Can't believe some fans actually wanted Reich to call more passing plays.... 

JB is a game manager.  This was the type of game we'll have to play to win.  Run and play D. 

This game was winnable playing the way we did.  Just didn't quite get it done, but this is the only way we'll be successful with the passing game in the shape it's in. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Andrew Luck? Reich says the Colts are a running team and until he says different there is no need for a Watson or Wilson type QB.

1. Load up Frank Reich's introductory press-conference. 

2. Listen to what type of offense he wants to run.

3. Compare to what offense he's running now. 

Here... I will help:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Can’t believe we can’t get anything going in the passing game against one of the most beat up secondaries in the NFL.

We really need receivers that can get open quick outside of Hilton. 

We had guys that were open.... Even the announcers called it out. 

This narrative has been debunked before...

1 hour ago, ColtsFan_98 said:

Does anyone even think the Texans game would be close or that we would even have half the losses we have if Andrew Luck was our quarterback?

Not close at all.

1 hour ago, yankeeclipper said:

We do not have receivers who can gain separation and get downfield.  Hilton is the lone receiver right now and tonight he was not a factor

Hilton was the least open... Doyle was wide open several times and not targeted. Hines and Pascal was as well. We had a lot of open guys in the middle / seam.

1 hour ago, Numba1Colt said:

he has zero pressure and still staring around the field like everybody is covered by a pro bowler

somewhere, Luck and Peyton are shaking their heads... as they had to get the ball and get it out quick with amazing reads and anticipation just to keep from getting murdered 

Houston is last in the league in total QB pressures... JB had no excuse tonight.

1 hour ago, yankeeclipper said:

We lack playmakers at receiver. If we had more receiving threats I think Jacoby would do more. He is at a disadvantage in that he does not have  playmakers at receiver. He is not Luck or Manning and this team is built as a ball control offense right now.

They produced just fine last year, and we were 6th in the league. We still have 84% of that production on the team this year. Do you spend a bunch upgrading several positions (and still won't be top 10), or do you spend a bunch upgrading one that is capable of making the existing personnel in the passing game top 10.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

It's all on Ballard!   He did nothing to try to help us during the season.  Nothing.

silly

1 hour ago, Jaredfor3 said:

It doesn’t help that TY dropped two balls that could have resulted in points. 

It didn't help that it was forced to TY in great coverage (while Doyle was wide open), or poorly thrown to TY (he had to stop his route) because he wasn't led. 

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

Reich was predictable. Run run pass. Hilton dropped 2 key 3rd down passes that were on the money. The offense played slow. They're good enough to beat anyone. The defense gave you chances and you were predictable. 

Houston played good all around. They knew that Reich was going to call a run run pass. Good home work. 

The refs were horrendous. That was a fumble at the end. 

One was not at all on the money. The second was a good pass into tight coverage, but the wrong decision (another was wide open)

57 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

It sucks that as soon as TY comes back. Jacoby ignores Pascal. This team is way too TY dependent

Bingo. It's like JB has TY on his fantasy team..... 

57 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t know what to think of Reich anymore. Offense struggled but you going to tell me you couldn’t sheme any of these WR open.

Others were open... 

56 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not sure that is completly true. He hit pascal just fine the first meeting. Texans did a great job but Reich was terrible again.

TY was blanketed the first meeting and JB eventually started going to Pascal. Tonight he kept forcing it.

54 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

ballard let this team down by sticking to the draft for project receivers, he has picked up cheap free agents who have a history of drops, no proven young receivers were signed and the pats and texans grabbed  what was out there, he wrote off the season by sticking to his fill the roster with draft picks. there were top receivers available he kept the cap money. ty may be done, the rest are all undrafted by anyone

Those guys were the 6th best catching unit in the NFL last year.

52 minutes ago, The Fish said:

This isn't on Reich- at all. Not even kinda.

The game plan was horrible given Houston's passing D, Houston's current injuries, and simply because we won with the first game with the exact opposite game plan. 70% Reich, 30 JB.... 

42 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That Miami and Steelers loss is going to bite us in the but. All I want know is to get the WR healthy and see what we have.  Texans did a very good job in converage but offense needs to step up.

Raiders home loss will likely be the game that bites us.

38 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

Round 1... Jake Fromm

Bc Jacoby ain't cuttin' it

Round 2a... Troy Pride Jr

Bc our CBs can't run with Fuller/Hopkins.  And apparently putting a CB with S over-top in order to stop plays like Hopkins td is out of the question 

Big NO, and no.... I love Pride, but he's not that good.

35 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Clearly there was blame to go all around. Defense can’t give up big plays like that. Jacoby has to get better. Reich has to get more imaginative. I mean all we did was run and drop back and pass. There were no wrinkles.

The D did fine. Not perfect, but did way more than enough. Held them to 20pts in their own house. Shut down their running game (less than 100) twice now, and held Watson to under his total last game.... And got an INT... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I have seen bigger spines in a jelly fish than this fan base. :D Man, we lose and a pound of flesh MUST be extracted. 

Has nothing to do with being spineless. Has to do with watching for 3 hours, investing our personal time, and watching helplessly as our QB who replaced Luck absolutely looks horrible and the position is a liability. We have no control, so it's a helpless feeling. This is is the 3rd Colts game I've got to watch (Chiefs, Broncos and Texans), and Brissett is terrible. We've had to become a one-dimensional offense to cover up his deficiencies and this team is not fun to watch anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Same.  I'll be firing up all 22 in a couple days and see\

Raiders loss is bad. they are in the wildcard race too.

Ebron had 4 catches in 5 targets, Doyle had 3 catches in 4 targets, Williams 3 catches on 3 targets.  Hines 2 catches in 3 targets.  Chester Rogers was 1 catch, 1 target.   It was TY that was only 3 catches on 6 targets. 2 of those right in his hands that was unfortunately dropped / broken up.

Pascal and Johnson had 1 target each, no catches. But it was not pretty.

With me the biggest problem with Brissett is not with the throws he makes and targets he has. It's with the ones he needs to make but doesn't because he doesn't see them or sees them and decides they are too risky, or the ones that he doesn't even get to in his progression because he gets stuck on a primary read and can't let go of it for ages... etc. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, cbear said:

Good luck in finding WRs that can get REALLY WIDE OPEN, because that's the only time JB will even attempt to throw the ball.  

I don't know if he's just so afraid of throwing an int. or just can't go throw his reads fast enough, but this game really exposed his weaknesses IMO.  

Can't believe some fans actually wanted Reich to call more passing plays.... 

JB is a game manager.  This was the type of game we'll have to play to win.  Run and play D. 

This game was winnable playing the way we did.  Just didn't quite get it done, but this is the only way we'll be successful with the passing game in the shape it's in. 

It is clear he can throw down field. He did it pretty good in 2017.  Can he learn and improve yes. We also need more playmakers. The WR injury bug has hit hard.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

It is clear he can throw down field. He did it pretty good in 2017.  Can he learn and improve yes. We also need more playmakers. The WR injury bug has hit hard.

He's not a natural downfield guy. He throws to a open spot, not an open receiver. And that's fine, but there is a difference. 

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Has nothing to do with being spineless. Has to do with watching for 3 hours, investing our personal time, and watching helplessly as our QB who replaced Luck absolutely looks horrible and the position is a liability. We have no control, so it's a helpless feeling. This is is the 3rd Colts game I've got to watch (Chiefs, Broncos and Texans), and Brissett is terrible. We've had to become a one-dimensional offense to cover up his deficiencies and this team is not fun to watch anymore. 

He threw two great ball to TY and he dropped them. We played 4 undrafted free agents at WR.  TY was limited. I don’t get what people expect.

• Like 1