Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts passing game is a joke

BProland85

47 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

ZazaI have been a JB supporter throughout this year, but I am starting to lose faith in his abilities. The waiting for his guys to get open is a big deal, because in the NFL, if you dont throw it where your WR is going to be open, your window of opportunity is already gone by the time you see it unfold. 

JB doesn't seem to have Anticipation of his WRs coming open. Everything else is at an acceptable level. His Pocket awareness is good enough. Hes hard to bring down. He brings a real definition of the term "Lazer, Rocket arm" to the table. He can scramble. Hes overall safe with the ball. 

All these things dont matter if you're missing your windows of opportunity. JB doesn't trust himself to make that throw. Hes playing scared of the interception, and its hindering his progress. You gotta sling it to see the progression of the play in real time. 

Frank Reich has to know this is happening. I'm not going to say JB cant get better in this area. But I'm losing faith that he can. We will know over the next year and a half. I would be fine with drafting a guy and letting him sit behind JB for a year. Theres no way Ballard is content with the level of QB play when hes constantly evaluating the roster. 

Yeah, I'm right with you on this. I know we need another playmaker in the WR market but it's difficult to evaluate their impact when they're either hurt or he's not giving them a chance.

129 yards passing, of that 52 went to WR’s. for an NFL QB-1. But Jacoby has the most secure job in this league. Jacoby has what you would call an all day Hall Pass. 
The Colts will probably draft  in the mid to late second round because of value and CB likes them picks, but his coaching staff don’t..

Until the Colts makes a change at QB-1. This team will be good enough to miss the play offs year after year. This loss wasn’t on the refs, coaching, or poor WR play. This was on Jacoby. Last night shows how badly this team misses Andrew Luck

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

dude that sub is full of blind homers they only like JB for his stupid meme potential. the dude us a great backup but that's where he should stay.

Yeah...there is good dialogue and debate here. Over there...not really...the mere critique of JB or Ballard will get you downvoted into oblivion. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

ZazaI have been a JB supporter throughout this year, but I am starting to lose faith in his abilities. The waiting for his guys to get open is a big deal, because in the NFL, if you dont throw it where your WR is going to be open, your window of opportunity is already gone by the time you see it unfold. 

JB doesn't seem to have Anticipation of his WRs coming open. Everything else is at an acceptable level. His Pocket awareness is good enough. Hes hard to bring down. He brings a real definition of the term "Lazer, Rocket arm" to the table. He can scramble. Hes overall safe with the ball. 

All these things dont matter if you're missing your windows of opportunity. JB doesn't trust himself to make that throw. Hes playing scared of the interception, and its hindering his progress. You gotta sling it to see the progression of the play in real time. 

Frank Reich has to know this is happening. I'm not going to say JB cant get better in this area. But I'm losing faith that he can. We will know over the next year and a half. I would be fine with drafting a guy and letting him sit behind JB for a year. Theres no way Ballard is content with the level of QB play when hes constantly evaluating the roster. 

1 hour ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Really like this take man. Would add that the effective qbs you allude to arent just elite nfl qbs. Goes for every level of play. Even college qbs can do the things you mentioned within their offenses.

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We had guys that were open.... Even the announcers called it out. 

This narrative has been debunked before...

Not close at all.

Hilton was the least open... Doyle was wide open several times and not targeted. Hines and Pascal was as well. We had a lot of open guys in the middle / seam.

Houston is last in the league in total QB pressures... JB had no excuse tonight.

They produced just fine last year, and we were 6th in the league. We still have 84% of that production on the team this year. Do you spend a bunch upgrading several positions (and still won't be top 10), or do you spend a bunch upgrading one that is capable of making the existing personnel in the passing game top 10.

silly

It didn't help that it was forced to TY in great coverage (while Doyle was wide open), or poorly thrown to TY (he had to stop his route) because he wasn't led. 

One was not at all on the money. The second was a good pass into tight coverage, but the wrong decision (another was wide open)

Bingo. It's like JB has TY on his fantasy team..... 

Others were open... 

TY was blanketed the first meeting and JB eventually started going to Pascal. Tonight he kept forcing it.

Those guys were the 6th best catching unit in the NFL last year.

The game plan was horrible given Houston's passing D, Houston's current injuries, and simply because we won with the first game with the exact opposite game plan. 70% Reich, 30 JB.... 

Raiders home loss will likely be the game that bites us.

Big NO, and no.... I love Pride, but he's not that good.

The D did fine. Not perfect, but did way more than enough. Held them to 20pts in their own house. Shut down their running game (less than 100) twice now, and held Watson to under his total last game.... And got an INT... 

All these responses to the quotes deserve all the likes possible.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t see any WR in FA wanting to come here.

Not with JB at QB.  Averaging 150 yrds a game...yea, I wouldn't want to either.  The narrative of him being an MVP candidate was always ludicrous, and the only people that really believe that are those that want live in a fantasy and not reality.  The WRs out there won't buy it.  

• Like 3

Jacoby is not an average QB. If he was this team would have only one loss this year. But the Colts says he is a great leader. If that is so Jacoby needs to be coaching instead of playing. 
During the off season I can guess the headlines of this team. Jacoby is really dailed in. And the WR’s outside of Ty are unstoppable and we don’t need to spend a first round pick on a WR. There’s value to be had in undrafted college free agency. They are taking the South. Those healthy WR’s looked unstoppable last night 52 YARDS 

19 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...there is good dialogue and debate here. Over there...not really...the mere critique of JB or Ballard will get you downvoted into oblivion. 

totally I thought it would be cool so I checked it out man was I disappointed. god forbid you have your own opinion on that sub I feel like most on there like JB just cause of his corny nicknames.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, runthepost said:

Here's what he said though, in all fairness-

"I'm not going to argue that my boy JB is in any way as talented or proficient as his opponent tonight."

"Mahomes is a better passer.  He's a better scrambler.  But tonight brissett was the better leader And that sometimes counts for a lot more than pure prowess"

I just don't see any of the "Jacoby is the type of QB I’ll rather have over Mahomes and Watson" talk. As I see it, the point to debate is who is the better leader 'that night'.

Please show us where guys were open before creating a narrative that it was debunked.

You need to have a bigger view than what I saw on TV.  I haven't ever seen that view outside of a few cherry-picked screen shots.  No QB is going to see open receivers all of the time.

I did see during a critical 3rd down late in the game.  JB looked around and knew Ebron was open on his right flank, and eventually threw it to him converting the 3rd down. Is that cherry-picking?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, runthepost said:

They sure did get smoked. I doubt it happens again. 

Kamara when he lines up at receiver is the nightmare I’m talking about.

I’m still not real worried about Kamara. We’re pretty suspect against TEs and I think Cook will have his best game of the season against us to be honest. 

9 minutes ago, bhougland said:

Not with JB at QB.  Averaging 150 yrds a game...yea, I wouldn't want to either.  The narrative of him being an MVP candidate was always ludicrous, and the only people that really believe that are those that want live in a fantasy and not reality.  The WRs out there won't buy it.  

exactly I still can't believe some said he should get MVP consideration. haha Wilson Cousins and Mahomes are what MVP caliber players look like.

• Like 3

I have been a huge supporter of JB.

I have valued him as high or higher than most others on this board

This year is his proving year.

I feel he hasnt YET proven himself to be the long term answer to be QB for the Colts

To me the folks that go all in or all out on the guy after a single game, should be more patient

We need to look over a series of games

With this in mind....... and being 100% transparent.

AND in my often error-filled opinions........

I am pained to say Brissett HASN'T shown that he is the guy that can turn a game

like last night.

We need for Brissett to take the next step, in the next few games. (Evn 2-3 "steps")

Painful truth to me....... if he stays at the same level, we need to, replace him

I like his story, I was hoping he could have made the next step.

I was almost expecting it after seeing some flashes this year

Because we lost to many of the teams that we will be going against for wildcard spots, our odds of making the playoffs arent good at all.

So what do we do?

We hope that we can sneak into  the playoffs first......

But.......

While we are waiting for that lottery ticket to payout,

Enjoy watching the many rookies and 2nd year players develop.  This team, top to bottom, is better than last year, and last year was better than the year before.

We have a great coach and a great front office

Decide who you bring back next year, we have a few FAs next year that we need to decide on.

As a team, we ARE getting better... The trend is UP.... 

I believe that all of the fans should keep this in mind before the torches and pitchforks come out.   

If we are 7-7, and the playoffs are gone, AND JB has stayed at the same level.........

My personal opinion is you take the immature QB (Swag), and give him a chance with the first team.

Is he the long term answer???  I doubt it....... BUT....  I dont know, what I dont know.

What if the flashes and playmaking ability that he showed in parts of preseason, are actually something in a real NFL game??

Lets say JB stays the same or regresses until that point........   

We are forced to use an early pick on a QB, in the draft.

IMHO

We arent ready to make a play for SB.... This year

Sorry for the "book" here..... My hope STILL is that JB can step it up and he is the QB of the future......

We will see

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

My personal opinion is you take the immature QB (Swag), and give him a chance with the first team.

Is he the long term answer???  I doubt it....... BUT....  I dont know, what I dont know.

What if the flashes and playmaking ability that he showed in parts of preseason, are actually something in a real NFL game??

I would love this as I need to be able to mentally rule him out as an option as he looked very good in the preseason running the K-Gun offense.  Why shouldn't he?  He gets personal instruction from the man that ran it best (his Hall of Fame uncle).  However, he isn't Jim and has shown to be a knuckle head in his past.  That being said I want to see him play.

Will that happen?  Absolutely not.  I don't see Frank doing this as I think he would worry it would hurt JB's confidence and destroy his and CB's narrative about JB.  As a former QB, I have to think that deep down he knows that JB isn't the guy.  I want to see this organization take steps that lead us out of QB purgatory.  How many years did Tennessee waste with Mariota?  We already had years of our life wasted with the Pagano and Grigson extensions, do we have to do it with a QB as well?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I have been a huge supporter of JB.

I have valued him as high or higher than most others on this board

This year is his proving year.

I feel he hasnt YET proven himself to be the long term answer to be QB for the Colts

To me the folks that go all in or all out on the guy after a single game, should be more patient

We need to look over a series of games

With this in mind....... and being 100% transparent.

AND in my often error-filled opinions........

I am pained to say Brissett HASN'T shown that he is the guy that can turn a game

like last night.

We need for Brissett to take the next step, in the next few games. (Evn 2-3 "steps")

While we are waiting for that lottery ticket to payout,

IMHO

We arent ready to make a play for SB.... This year

Sorry for the "book" here..... My hope STILL is that JB can step it up and he is the QB of the future......

We will see

What, in your opinion, is "a long term answer" for a QB?  A guy who throws receivers open?

A lot of your elite QBs don't throw guys open.  They throw it to a covered receiver and let that receiver make the play.  TY isn't big enough or strong enough to be that receiver.  Or they practice back shoulder chemistry.

JB has shown us he is not a gunslinger.  So what?  Our past two QBs were gunslingers, and we won one SB.  They often looked great by digging themselves out of a hole dug by gunslinging interceptions.  And when your gunslinger gets a bruised shoulder, the team cannot win.

It is more fun to watch a gunslinger, but I don't know if having a gunslinger is a viable long term answer at QB.  JMO.

I certainly haven't decided about JB.   I'll do it at the end of NEXT season.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think they will come if you pay them more than the competition.  We are a contender after all. 

I don't know about that.  Chris Ballard is fond of short term prove it deals, and the WR knows he won't have the production to get a big contract if QB1 won't throw it more than 7 yards down the field.  I would stay far away from this team if I am a WR2 that wants a breakout year to get WR1 money the following year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t know what to think of Reich anymore. Offense struggled but you going to tell me you couldn’t sheme any of these WR open.

There were enough times guys were open.  Yaboy can't read a defense or progress through his own reads on any given play.  It is what it is.  Reich knows this.... It's so bad, he's going with what our best chance is.  This crapshow run 1,2,3rd option offense is because he has ZERO confidence in Brissett.  We had an 18 play drive with 17 runs.... You will never convince me they believe in JB....he's just their only option.

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think they will come if you pay them more than the competition.  We are a contender after all. 

Say what?

2 minutes ago, bhougland said:

I don't know about that.  Chris Ballard is fond of short term prove it deals, and the WR knows he won't have the production to get a big contract if QB1 won't throw it more than 7 yards down the field.  I would stay far away from this team if I am a WR2 that wants a breakout year to get WR1 money the following year.

I think a good receiver worth his salt would be able to get a long term deal from a team.  These one year prove it deals are for the players whose careers are hanging by a thread.  We need real playmakers.  Ballard appears to have good luck drafting defensive players.  But when it comes to drafting offensive playmakers they all have the same problem.  Brittle and injury prone.  He would be better off trading for one because the real playmakers rarely make it to FA.  

10 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

There were enough times guys were open.  Yaboy can't read a defense or progress through his own reads on any given play.  It is what it is.  Reich knows this.... It's so bad, he's going with what our best chance is.  This crapshow run 1,2,3rd option offense is because he has ZERO confidence in Brissett.  We had an 18 play drive with 17 runs.... You will never convince me they believe in JB....he's just their only option.

Say what?

Last I looked we are still a contender for a playoff spot.  Not so much for Miami, Washington, Cinn, etc.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think a good receiver worth his salt would be able to get a long term deal from a team.  These one year prove it deals are for the players whose careers are hanging by a thread.  We need real playmakers.  Ballard appears to have good luck drafting defensive players.  But when it comes to drafting offensive playmakers they all have the same problem.  Brittle and injury prone.  He would be better off trading for one because the real playmakers rarely make it to FA.  

That might work.  Can we start by trading Jacoby for a real playmaker?

Just now, richard pallo said:

Last I looked we are still a contender for a playoff spot.  Not so much for Miami, Washington, Cinn, etc.

being in the running for the playoffs doesn't automatically mean we are contenders lol we are in a garbage division and a garbage conference. we have benefited greatly from a weak schedule.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Say what?

Give Chad Kelly a shot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Numba1Colt said:

JB doesn't throw the ball unless you are WIDE open 

reads too slow... 

need to beat other teams and hope Houston loses some games

And we have been in every game this is his first year starting give him a break , I rather him take care of football and give us chance to win 

7 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Sadly, this is the reality with Jacoby at QB. Defense played well, running game was on point, Adam hit all his kicks. This is why I have never thought Jacoby was more than a game manager. I miss Andrew.

How many game managements got super bowl rings vs stats QBs , Rodgers , brees , Etc... we lost a game not the end of the world Texans a good football team they beat us tonight it is what it is 

11 hours ago, yankeeclipper said:

We do not have receivers who can gain separation and get downfield.  Hilton is the lone receiver right now and tonight he was not a factor

While this is partially true, Jacoby takes too long to get through his progression. He has zero ability to throw the receivers open. He doesn't hit them out of their break.