Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O Line in 4th Quarter

dw49

Both tackles in the last few drives were really bad . Really , really bad.

So factor that with  Glowinski is not too good and we lost our C.   Lost by 2 to a home team that got all the breaks including 2 missed kicks and 4 very questionable penalties. Pretty resilient team I guess.

• Like 1

We were in trouble the moment Q got pushed back into JB.

The fact of the matter is that the Steelers DL has always been their strong suit defensively, and our OL can't match their physicality directly.  They smelled blood in the water when Brissett got hurt and started playing up to their ability and at that point, we were in serious trouble.

40 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Last 2 games, OL has been outplayed.  They were a strength of this team, but have been a liability the last 2 weeks.  The pass protection has really been lacking

I wonder if it has something to-do with playing 3-4 Teams?  I know this line use to struggle against 3-4 Teams in Mannings years.  

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

The fact of the matter is that the Steelers DL has always been their strong suit defensively, and our OL can't match their physicality directly.  They smelled blood in the water when Brissett got hurt and started playing up to their ability and at that point, we were in serious trouble.

We scored 23 points after that and had the ball down if scoring position at the end.  Brissets injury did not negatively effect the game.  I think we scored more than we would have with him in.  The passing game withoug TY was much better with Hoyer than JB.

Seemed pretty obvious wathcing  the game.

hoyer is a complete player.  He's nearly tailor made for a Reich style offense since he's a master of quick draw, quick release, and accurate short passes.  There's a reason I was loud in my demand that Ballard pick him up when the patriots released him.

That said, Brissett's upside is way better than Hoyer's and he's won these kinds of games before.

Also the Steeler secondary is a bad joke.  The only reason he got picked by Minkah is because everyone and their grandmother knew that Hoyer was gonna pass the football. 

Ive said this before, if I have one issue with Reich he has problems trying to dissguise the play.  you can't always just run it down everyone's throats, and Reich has struggled with deceptiveness pretty consistently.  They telegraphed that pass and you just can't do that with a great safety like Minkah Fitzpatrick playing in the red zone where he's able to move around freely.

• Like 1

The right side of the line is average at best , maybe worse.  The sacks and pressures invariably have came from that side , but last couple games Costanzo  has looked like a sieve too.  They fired the coach before the season that did a good job last year for reasons remaining unclear.  Lots of rumor , but little substance aside one player. 

14 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

The last 2 games have been against 2 of the most physical front sevens in football... not exactly representative.  Looking back we probably shouldn't be surprised that our young OL had a bad day at the office.  Just sucks that V couldn't give us 1 last miracle.

Yeah, Kelly , Anthony , and Glowinski been around awhile.  

On 11/3/2019 at 4:54 PM, mahagga73 said:

The right side of the line is average at best , maybe worse.  The sacks and pressures invariably have came from that side , but last couple games Costanzo  has looked like a sieve too.  They fired the coach before the season that did a good job last year for reasons remaining unclear.  Lots of rumor , but little substance aside one player. 

Yeah, that was odd.  I understand that Frank wanted to bring in his own guys and that the old coach rubbed some guys the wrong way.  And I understand that he had issues while with the Pats.

But you'd think the way he had the line playing would be enough to reward him with another contract.

He's back with Miami now.

I think some of you are overeating a little bit.   The O-line has has some issues against great D-lines, no denying that.    It's not like they have been beat on every play.   They've still been pretty good in run blocking.  

• Like 3

On 11/3/2019 at 9:29 PM, Imgrandojji said:

It was also a massively obvious hands to the face penalty that didn't get called. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 11/3/2019 at 4:29 PM, Imgrandojji said:

If you watch Tomlinson and his post game talk with media it was like he couldn't believe they had won the ball game. No one left that game feeling like the Steelers beat the Colts. 

I just watched the whole team play like complete crap. Growing pains. I expect performances like these, and while they suck, it gives opportunities to the coaches and players to get better, and be more consistent. The question is, what is a long enough time? 

This team is young. The coaching staff is also young. Consistancy is what they're working on now. I see at least a 3 year window for me personally before I would consider giving up on the staff. I'm rambling now. Apologies. Im not saying the steelers dont have good players. But the Colts gave them every opportunity they could, or at least, it sure felt like that. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I think some of you are overeating a little bit.   The O-line has has some issues against great D-lines, no denying that.    It's not like they have been beat on every play.   They've still been pretty good in run blocking.  

Well, I overeat more often than I should but I don't know what that has to do with the oline play. :)

I think post is well stated.  A lot of the posts and threads on this forum make it seem like people don't really know how the NFL works.  The oline of the Colts is a strength.  It's not that it was a strength at the beginning of the season and has now become a weakness.  The oline is a strength of the Colts and THE strength of the offense. 

But oddly enough other teams have coaches who look at that at try to figure out ways to neautralize the strength of the other team.  And guess what, there are a lot of good coaches in the NFL and they are good at figuring out things like that.  It's not like they (the competing coaches) sit there and think, "Wow, that Colts line is so good, so let's just let them dominate us and focus on something else. 

So then what happens is the Colts' coaches are looking at how teams were neutralizing their strength and figuring out ways to stop that from happening. 

But it is one of the items that separates good from great coaches.  Good coaches will take a week or two to figure it out, really good coaches will make adjustments during the game, great coaches anticipate what the other team is going to try and do and incorporate the fix into the gameplan.  It's also a big reason why experienced coaches get "recycled so much through the NFL because they have that knowledge that helps them do the latter rather than the former. The oline coach last year was great at that, the oline coach this year is not...he doesn't have the experience.   I'm not saying he will become great at it.  Just that it's too early to write him off.

• Like 3

The team has averaged 135 yds with a 4.5 ypr rushing the last two games against stout sevens. The line has given up a few sacks.  Good pass rushers.  

Glow has been pretty bad and a couple other guys got beast one on one, but KC was a disaster from a missed assignment perspective.  Free rushers.  Not sure who that is on.  Maybe staff.  Maybe the players.  But you can't block a guy who has no one to block him.

They haven't been great but they've been OK.  Pitt will get some sacks.  They did not give up many more sacks than the teams they played average and ran the ball better than most do.

QNelson and Smith are the bright spots on the line. I question Kelly’s conditioning at times. Looks gassed at times. AC only looks good because he has Q playing next to him.  Jack Mewhort covered a lot for him as well. Listen to Nelson mic’d up. He had to push AC into position on a few plays. 

On 11/3/2019 at 4:49 PM, yankeeclipper said:

OL has not been Stellar in passing game this year. I suspect that is partially due to Brissett and Hoyer taking longer to get rid of ball and some of that is also due to the fact that our receivers are not getting open often enough. OL has looked good on running game. 

Also the coaching change don't forget that.

19 minutes ago, a06cc said:

QNelson and Smith are the bright spots on the line. I question Kelly’s conditioning at teams. Looks gassed at times. AC only looks good because he has Q playing next to him.  Jack Mewhort covered a lot for him as well. Listen to Nelson mic’d up. He had to push AC into position on a few plays. 

I think we need to start prepping for the end of Castonzo also find a good upgrade at right tackle and put smith at RG then this o-line will be a force.

9 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I think we need to start prepping for the end of Castonzo also find a good upgrade at right tackle and put smith at RG then this o-line will be a force.

We’ll see as this is a contract year for him. No matter what I’ll trust whatever the coach and staff think. AC sometimes can’t handle those one on one assignments. He needs to step up his play. I’ve got on the him for years. I just feel he needs to do more. Don’t even care if we re-sign him. Just needs to play better.