Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Albert Breer reports Quincy Wilsons name has come up in trade talks.

richard pallo

Albert Breer wrote in an article this morning for SI that Quincy Wilsons name "has" come up in trade talks.  He doesn't mention any teams but mentions him as a 2nd rd pick who has lost his spot to a younger player.  He characterized him as one of Ballards picks who has not turned out like he would have hoped.   I thought this was interesting and there might be something developing.   He's a player who could be packaged to acquire a player like Leonard Williams for example.   The upcoming trade deadline might see us getting involved after all.                   BTW I don't know how to post the article.  

Its tough call. I do want him to succeed as a Colt but he needs to do better in coverage and be a tad less grabby grab. He has haf some awful calls go against him as well.

He may be better suited at safety.  But with deadline in 6 days I don't know what we'd get back in return at this point.

I don't see us getting a lot for him, and I do like him for depth. That said, for the right offer I'd be fine with trading him. Would prefer to keep him unless we can get a 3rd for him, which I don't see us getting. If they are really happy with Taylor, then maybe a 4th. He's still getting like a third of the snaps, so it's not like he's been totally passed. And we use a lot of CBs in our scheme. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Albert Breer wrote in an article this morning for SI that Quincy Wilsons name "has" come up in trade talks.  He doesn't mention any teams but mentions him as a 2nd rd pick who has lost his spot to a younger player.  He characterized him as one of Ballards picks who has not turned out like he would have hoped.   I thought this was interesting and there might be something developing.   He's a player who could be packaged to acquire a player like Leonard Williams for example.   The upcoming trade deadline might see us getting involved after all.                   BTW I don't know how to post the article.  

You can't help yourself.   Still hoping for the impossible.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I think he does good against TEs, but on speedy WRs, he gets beat. Would love a 2nd for him, but really would rather keep him as depth for anything less than a high 3rd

He would probably bring around a 5th. IMO never a high 3rd.

• Like 3

This was the year for Wilson to take the next step and establish himself as a starter and he failed. If the Colts don't move him before the trade deadline they likely will during the off-season. I don't see anyone giving up much for his services and since he's still playing in his rookie contract it could make more sense to keep him around for depth. No one is giving up anything higher than a 5th for him but I probably would take a 5th for him at this point.

33 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I know. But anything less and I feel his depth becomes more important

This is why he probably won’t be moved. Your not going to get a good draft pick and the colts are already loaded with picks next year. Your also not going to get a very good player in exchange for him. His value as a depth piece is more valuable then a pick or a player most likely.  Also Ballard may not be the one looking to trade him but maybe teams are calling. I think ballard is going to be very careful getting rid of a player mid way through the season. You don’t want to mess with locker room chemistry. From everything Eberflus has said he has embraced his role and been a real pro.

2 hours ago, Rubles said:

Its tough call. I do want him to succeed as a Colt but he needs to do better in coverage and be a tad less grabby grab. He has haf some awful calls go against him as well.

He may be better suited at safety.  But with deadline in 6 days I don't know what we'd get back in return at this point.

If we could get a potential difference maker in exchange for him without having to give up picks im all for it.

40 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Who would that be? Quincy is the youngest corner on this team. 

Some experts don't do their research... 

Im guessing they mean years in the league younger.   Rock is a few months older,   but Quincy was drafted earlier. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

In all seriousness...if Quincy would ever learn to play the ball he'd be much more of a value.....he's generally in position but is clueless as to where the ball is.

Tracking the ball seems to be an innate skill...that separates the great CBs and DBs. TJ Green had all of the athleticism in the world...but no clue how to track the ball...so it was useless.

• Like 1

A player for player swap (or part of a deal for a player) seems to make the most sense. But for a guy who you aren't high on anymore and aren't counting on for more than 30% of the snaps...getting back a 4th or 5th round pick would be just fine. But getting an asset for this year should be priority. 

I wouldn't mind giving Tell an extended look in that role either.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I wasn't a fan of the pick when we took him in 2017. In hindsight looking back at that draft man we missed out on some studs. I’m all for trading him away if we can get some solid draft capitol. 

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

You hear this type of stuff around the trade dead line every season and Ballard usually does nothing. 

But it's not like Ballard has been here, or a GM for all that long to create a real track record. 

I do think we will see more trading (especially for draft capital) as our roster depth improves and matures. 

3 hours ago, dw49 said:

He would probably bring around a 5th. IMO never a high 3rd.

I agree.  But if that’s all they get, then they’re getting rid of him for something more than his play on the field.  

I mean, in essence they’re giving up on him because he must not be coachable.   

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

But it's not like Ballard has been here, or a GM for all that long to create a real track record. 

I do think we will see more trading (especially for draft capital) as our roster depth improves and matures. 

These moves usually require draft picks at this time of year.  He's very slow to do that. I'm expecting more of the same.  What are we getting in return for Quincy realistically that will be a real plus?

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

These moves usually require draft picks at this time of year.  He's very slow to do that. I'm expecting more of the same.  What are we getting in return for Quincy realistically that will be a real plus?

It depends if we are looking for just draft picks, or a player trade. I expect that Ballard has both a draft pick threshold as well as a target position "want". I'm not saying he will or won't do something, but I would bet he's exploring different scenarios and would move on something if it's the right situation. And sometimes things come out of nowhere.

I don't think many predicted the Pats dumping Gordon for Sanu at this stage, and that was done by a conservative GM/Coach. A lot of teams have imbalances of talent in different areas, and I wouldn't be shocked that someone desperately needed CB help and were willing to trade draft capital or another position if they have a positive imbalance that matches our negative.