Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Most impressive win of the Reich/Ballard era

RockThatBlue

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

Ecstatic about the W, of course.  And thank God for the bye week.  We need it.

But Turay’s injury looked really bad.  Maybe a dislocated ankle?  His foot was pointing a direction that feet aren’t supposed to point.  I fear we’ve seen the last of KT this year.  And he’s really been playing well.

That's what it looked like to me. He played a great game and the effort he showed on that play was special. Made me sick to see that happen.

We just have horrible luck with injuries. No pun intended.

18 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

That Dallas game was a good one too.

But they did something tonight that transcends just a good performance.

They beat one of the top 2-3 teams in football, on the road and I thought our QB easily played his worst game of the year.

Dont get it twisted, Brisset struggled tonight, but that's why I like the construct of this team they dont necessarily need him to be great. He will improve and then we will be scary.

True...KC is a legit team...but both sides had key players out or hobbled. I don't think that KC team is the same team they (hopefully) face this January.

The OL and DL dictated that game. If both of those things happen...the construct of this team can work very well. Consistency from the DL is going to be a key going forward. 

I still put winning in January above all else...which is why the HOU game is the standard. 

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’ve said it before, mobile QBs that make their money on making big plays by scrambling don’t last forever. Once they get banged up or contained, their career paths normally trend downward quickly. Usually have a 3 maybe 4 year flash life span.

Michael Vick

RG3

Kapernick,

steve McNair 

Vince Young

Etc.

Now I think Mahomes is better than all of them, but time will tell if he’s got staying power or not.

i also think Lamar Jackson is gonna be in the same boat.

Mahomes isn't really a "scrambling QB." He's just does scramble drills because 1) his OL sucks and 2) he can make all the throws...like Rodgers did early on his career.

17 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

But Turay’s injury looked really bad.  Maybe a dislocated ankle?  His foot was pointing a direction that feet aren’t supposed to point.  I fear we’ve seen the last of KT this year.  And he’s really been playing well.

I fear a multi fracture. 

1 minute ago, Orioles22 said:

I just saw a report that Irsay said it might be the biggest regular season win in Colts' history.

It was a huge win, but the win in 1975 (I think that's the right year) over the Patriots to win the division was bigger.

Eh I think the 2006 AFCCG against Brady, coming back from 28-6 to go to the Super Bowl is still larger and more vital. And more impressive. That said, this game may be in the top 7-8

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Eh I think the 2006 AFCCG against Brady, coming back from 28-6 to go to the Super Bowl is still larger and more vital. And more impressive. That said, this game may be in the top 7-8

I would agree that was bigger. We're talking regular season though.

1 hour ago, AZCardinals8 said:

He was shredding this team before the injury.

I'll be honest, after Mahomes threw that ridiculous TD in the 1st...

t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

But even though Mahomes was doing Mahomes things at first, the Colts did exactly what they needed to do for all 4 quarters to win this game.

Major props to Reich, Flus, and all the players.  Great job tonight.  :scoregood:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I mean...we are talking about a 19 game sample.

I would say the HOU playoff game was the best win of the Reich/Ballard era...they simply dominated that game in all aspects. But this is up there with the DAL game.

We stalled offensively in the 2nd half of that Wild Card game. I have last night's performance as our most defining win due to the fact that it was a dominant performance on both sides of the ball all game long. 

To do what we did after what happened in the preseason, missing our starting safety and All-Pro linebacker.....is something special. Like, this could be the turning point of the season. That's how big it is.

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Reich definitely has a vision for his offence.  We need the passing game to step up.  With how we dominated on the run, there had to b plays in the passing game.  Not sure if that is on Brissett or the receivers...or both??

If we had gone away from common sense, that vision, and what was working (all happens to be one thing), we may have lost. The argument that we should've thrown more makes literally 0 sense to me. And that's why I'm glad Reich is our coach

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, csmopar said:

I’ve said it before, mobile QBs that make their money on making big plays by scrambling don’t last forever. Once they get banged up or contained, their career paths normally trend downward quickly. Usually have a 3 maybe 4 year flash life span.

Michael Vick

RG3

Kapernick,

steve McNair 

Vince Young

Etc.

Now I think Mahomes is better than all of them, but time will tell if he’s got staying power or not.

And Russell Wilson... oh wait.

I think it's correlation, not causation. None of them could throw like Mahomes. In fact, no one can throw like Mahomes.

And anyways, Mahomes isn't even a running QB, so I don't know why you bring that up. Yes, he CAN escape the pocket and get to to the outside. Yes he CAN take off and use his legs. But he's absolutely not a running QB.

He has 363 career rushing yards. Compare that to Lamar Jackson, who has played in less games and has over 1,000 rushing yards......

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'll be honest, after Mahomes threw that ridiculous TD in the 1st...

t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

But even though Mahomes was doing Mahomes things at first, the Colts did exactly what they needed to do for all 4 quarters to win this game.

Major props to Reich, Flus, and all the players.  Great job tonight.  :scoregood:

Very literal usage of that meme

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

What part of regular season did you not get?

• Thanks 1

Michael Vick

RG3

Kapernick,

steve McNair 

Vince Young

Etc.

It's a leaky canoe.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

And Russell Wilson... oh wait.

I think it's correlation, not causation. None of them could throw like Mahomes. In fact, no one can throw like Mahomes.

And anyways, Mahomes isn't even a running QB, so I don't know why you bring that up. Yes, he CAN escape the pocket and get to to the outside. Yes he CAN take off and use his legs. But he's absolutely not a running QB.

He has 363 career rushing yards. Compare that to Lamar Jackson, who has played in less games and has over 1,000 rushing yards......

yeah, I forgot wilson.

But you're missing the point, I'm not saying hes a running QB, but if you look at him, especially this year, hes scrambling, buying time outside the pocket, not inside. Eventually that catches up to those types of QBs.  That said, I think he is arguably the best QB the league has seen since Aaron Rodger came in, better than even Andrew Luck.

Michael Vick

RG3

Kapernick,

steve McNair 

Vince Young

Etc.

not saying i disagree, but to be fair vick did play a good while and was still fast in his final season.  he missed a lot of games too and played about 9 full seasons worth of games

he never had career ending injury either, teams just decided they were done with him 

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

yeah, I forgot wilson.

But you're missing the point, I'm not saying hes a running QB, but if you look at him, especially this year, hes scrambling, buying time outside the pocket, not inside. Eventually that catches up to those types of QBs.  That said, I think he is arguably the best QB the league has seen since Aaron Rodger came in, better than even Andrew Luck.

what about Rodgers? He does that literally all the time, especially in his younger years! You're saying anyone who isn't a statue in the pocket doesn't or won't last a long time in the league?

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

not saying i disagree, but to be fair vick did play a good while and was still fast in his final season.  he missed a lot of games too and played about 9 full seasons worth of games

he never had career ending injury either, teams just decided they were done with him 

no, I wasn't talking about career length, but if you look, his stats dropped off steadily, as did all the others mentioned. 

1 minute ago, BigQungus said:

what about Rodgers? He does that literally all the time, especially in his younger years! You're saying anyone who isn't a statue in the pocket doesn't or won't last a long time in the league?

no, I'm simply saying that eventually they drop off on the big numbers and stats they get from those.  And when was the last time Green Bay has been a serious threat with Rodgers?

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

no, I'm simply saying that eventually they drop off on the big numbers and stats they get from those.  And when was the last time Green Bay has been a serious threat with Rodgers?

Now.  And whenever they've been competent and Rodgers has been healthy. Are you telling me Rodgers is washed, or that he hasn't lasted in the league?

9 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

They are having a melt down on the Chief football forum putting all Blaim on Reid for putting Mahomes on a inland to get killed. I do have to say they are right why didn't Reid use a RB or TE to help block or at least chip block i did not see it the whole game

They should be upset he put there franchise on the line with a crumbling o line.  

1 minute ago, BigQungus said:

Then how can you say that QBs who have the ability to move at a rate of over 5 miles per hour don't last in the league?

A majority of the time, they don't.  There are exceptions, which is why I said we will have to see how Mahomes does before anointing him the next GOAT candidate. 

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This game or the Cowboys shut out last year.  I’d add the Texans playoff game to round out the top three.

one thing for sure, we do have a tendency to stop streaking teams don't we?

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

A majority of the time, they don't.  There are exceptions, which is why I said we will have to see how Mahomes does before anointing him the next GOAT candidate. 

one thing for sure, we do have a tendency to stop streaking teams don't we?

I'd say a majority of the time they don't because a majority of the time, QBs don't turn into franchise QBs. Nothing to do with being mobile

11 hours ago, csmopar said:

Michael Vick

RG3

Kapernick,

steve McNair 

Vince Young

Etc.

But Mahomes isn't considered a moble QB.  I mean he has some mobility but he throws well from the pocket.

Very few of his highlight reel plays involve him running the ball.  

11 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

But Mahomes isn't considered a moble QB.  I mean he has some mobility but he throws well from the pocket.

Very few of his highlight reel plays involve him running the ball.  

This comment I disagree  with.

After looking at his best plays he is a mobile QB. He makes those side arm throws while being mobile.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

yeah, I forgot wilson.

That might just be an issue with his OL or receivers not getting open though.  Not his fault.  

I would say if I was Andy Reid I would be investing seriously in the OL.  Not only do you not want him to leave the game like Luck did, but you also know you have a QB that can sling the ball 40 yards down the field and hit a dime.  Need to make sure he has the time to do that.