Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Adam Vinatieri (Merge)

chad72

36 minutes ago, Gramz said:

The question was....is booing justified?

Nah, not in my book. I just yell "come on man". :) 

But heck, some Toronto Raptors fans cheered when Durant got hurt, so cannot filter out raw emotion that is impulsive and comes out but is later regretted. Fans are not robots. From that point of view, it is definitely forgivable in my book.

13 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The goal posts are wider in college as well.    Again,   I'm going with the opinion of a person that has held and kicked in the pros.  You can take some college guys opinion.  That's up to you

You have to had played in the NFL to have a meaningful opinion, got it. Does that logic apply everywhere or just this topic with kicking? 

Bill Belicheck has never taken a defensive snap in the NFL so therefore you think his opinion is garbage vs lets say Bjorn Werner? Also tells us that Chris Ballard isnt qualified to make any decision on Vinny because he hasnt kicked balls in the NFL either. Better get Pat in here to run player personnel according to you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

They booed Luck so everyone is fair game.

Who's they?    Very few people boo'd Luck.   It was a media created story.

Many more cheered him than boo'd him.

1 boo is heard more than 10 people clapping.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am so sick of hearing about AV. You know what cost us the game was the 13 pts we gifted the Steelers before halftime. None had to do with AV. We should of been up 17-3 at least at halftime. This game was not AV fault. The chargers game I will blame AV. Not this game. 

oh you're gonna have to get over that because you're going to keep hearing about him, and rightfully so, as long as he continues to struggle.  And what you say is somewhat true but AV still definitely shoulders a portion of the blame for the loss to Pitt.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I do think they need to bring in kickers constantly to see what they have in the market. Heck, even the Patriots after Gostkowski tried Cody Parkey, Mike Nugent and others before settling on Nugent. Then they cut Nugent and went with Nick Folk for now.

If his name was not Adam Vinatieri, he'd be cut by now. 

Didn't the Colts bring in some kickers after week 2?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Didn't the Colts bring in some kickers after week 2?

Yes, they did. They probably need to do it again, IMO and make them work with Sanchez holding for a closer look. It is starting to force our hand going for 4th downs, change the way our game is played with a 3 pt. lead (throughout the game) instead of a 4 pt. lead due to missed PATs often etc. The impact is more than just on the scoreboard, I feel.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am so sick of hearing about AV. You know what cost us the game was the 13 pts we gifted the Steelers before halftime. None had to do with AV. We should of been up 17-3 at least at halftime. This game was not AV fault. The chargers game I will blame AV. Not this game. 

My word.  The Colts gifted the Steelers 3 points with a bad personal foul penalty.  Pick 6s happen in the NFL, just about weekly, and it was a good play by the defender... he baited a QB that had not played in an NFL game in a while and made a great play on the ball.

51 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I agree you are right... it may not be fair, to blame the loss totally on Vinatieri.

But he did indeed seal our fate Sunday.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yes, they did. They probably need to do it again, IMO and make them work with Sanchez holding for a closer look. It is starting to force our hand going for 4th downs, change the way our game is played with a 3 pt. lead (throughout the game) instead of a 4 pt. lead due to missed PATs often etc. The impact is more than just on the scoreboard, I feel.

if I were running the team, I would also look at another long snapper.  Rhodes' snaps have been all over the place.  I miss the days of Snow. 

I read an article once and he worked with both AV and Smith so they did not have to do anything with the ball to get the laces in the right spot.  For punts he would snap it so the laces were up and on PATs/FG he would snap it so all the holder had to do was rotate it to the angle AV wanted, no spinning necessary.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

This isn't just about a game-deciding kick or two unfortunately. Vinatieri is 14-of-19 on extra points this year. How can that be happening and people aren't going to talk about it?

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What’s funny is I heard this morning how thr SF kicker has missed like 8 FG this year. He has a job still because he hasn’t cost them games. They then went on a big list of teams having kicking problems. It’s just not the colts. It’s been a problem throughout the league this year.

Yeah, Robbie Gould has had to deal with a new holder to start the year, they have at least changed it once resulting in 2 holders across games for him. That explains his misses big time because he is one of the most accurate ones in the league along with Tucker and Zuerlein. Despite missing kicks, Gould and Zuerlein are 100% on PATs. Adam is league worst on that front.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2019&week=100&category=KICKING&opp=0&sort=13&qualified=1&sortOrder=0

Yes, it is a league wide problem but that does not mean you give a blank check of confidence without exploring other options, IMO, even if it is examining kicker, holder and long snapper together. 

It almost feels like you get deflated instantly after getting a TD and missing the PAT giving the momentum back to them. Plus, factor in a team that plays to the level of its competition and cannot run away from anyone, constantly dealing with a FG game reduces the pressure level on the opponents as opposed to being down by 4 and progressively increasing it.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What’s funny is I heard this morning how thr SF kicker has missed like 8 FG this year. He has a job still because he hasn’t cost them games. They then went on a big list of teams having kicking problems. It’s just not the colts. It’s been a problem throughout the league this year.

And even with lots of teams having kicking problems, Vinatieri's 14-of-19 on extra points and 12-of-17 on field goals are both the worst percentage in the NFL.   https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?mode=K

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, Robbie Gould has had to deal with a new holder to start the year, they have at least changed it once resulting in 2 holders across games for him. That explains his misses big time because he is one of the most accurate ones in the league along with Tucker and Zuerlein.

Yes, it is a league wide problem but that does not mean you give a blank check of confidence without exploring other options, IMO, even if it is examining kicker, holder and long snapper together. 

Never said you ignore it because of a league wide problem. Ira just strange how it is such a big problem this year.

17 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

New Rules and new stadiums 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

that's a good point about the difference in the lead.  If it were not for the missed XP earlier in the game, the Colts would not have had to go for 2 in the 4th quarter, they could have kicked the XP (no guarantee, I know) and been up by three, forcing the Steelers to either kick the FG or the tie or go for the win.  Not a huge difference but, all things being equal, then AV missed FG would have sent the game into OT instead of a loss.

Reich was similarly concerned about Vinatieri's performance, but told reporters Monday that the future Hall of Famer has earned the benefit of the doubt.

"We understand there are high standards," Reich said, per Holder, "but to say they're applied equally to every player isn't accurate."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001055814/article/colts-coach-reich-adam-vinatieri-is-our-kicker

I don't understand how this quote by Reich isn't a concern. Something that can hurt the morale of the team by playing favorites.

2 minutes ago, Anonymous said:

I don't understand how this quote by Reich isn't a concern. Something that can hurt the morale of the team by playing favorites.

This was after week 2. If he says the same now, it would definitely be a concern.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Colts are having the worst problem in the league though.  

Sooo many factors went into the loss:

Darius Leonard’s penalty before halftime 

Chester Rogers’ muff

Dropped passes

Pre-snap penalties
Poor pass protection (Oline, RBs and TEs)

Inefficient Kicking Operation (this includes Vinny but also includes the snap and hold)

But here we are, ignoring all of that and blaming Vinatieri exclusively as the reason we lost and somehow believing there’s somebody out there better. Does he need to get his part corrected? Absolutely! But to just release him is kind of short-sighted IMHO.

We don’t know the details of his physical health and how much the whole kicking operation is failing him, but Reich and his staff do. 

It would be fitting for him to end his career by straightening his part in this out

and having a good year. It’s not too late and he has the potential to do just that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Sooo many factors went into the loss:

Darius Leonard’s penalty before halftime 

Chester Rogers’ muff

Dropped passes

Pre-snap penalties
Poor pass protection (Oline, RBs and TEs)

Inefficient Kicking Operation (this includes Vinny but also includes the snap and hold)

But here we are, ignoring all of that and blaming Vinatieri exclusively as the reason we lost. Kind of short-sighted IMHO.

It would be fitting for him to end his career by straightening his part in this out

and having a good year. It’s not too late and he has the potential to do just that.

And I would add that there are more than a few teams needing upgrades at the K position. I think for many fans, they would rather have Adam replaced, even if the success rate is the same with the new guy, because some can't handle watching one of their long time players decline. 

If there is not an upgrade available at this time, ride it out. Back the goat on his twilight ride folks....even if it makes you uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Myles said:

En Luck said hehear the boosWho's they?    Very few people boo'd Luck.   It was a media created story.

Even Luck said he could hear the boos

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Even Luck said he could hear the boos

Yes because 1 boo is heard over 10+ people cheering.   Just the way it is.   The media tried to frame it as most people were booing him.   That was a lie.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Myles said:

Who's they?    Very few people boo'd Luck.   It was a media created story.

I know 100 drunk fans boo Andrew and ESPN acted like it was 60,000 people booing him at a sold out game lmao . Some people were shocked and hurt at the way he retired as well. If he entered the stadium today he would get a standing ovation IMO.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, will426 said:

lol it’s not that deep smh..he literally has the kicking power at such an old age but the weird thing is where he keeps pulling and a lot of the times it’s because of the Holders placement on the ball which has been an issue for quite a while and also the long snapper has been an issue allowing people to block the kicks more frequently have also been an issue special teams as a core this year has been horrendous compared to other years where we had NO ISSUES SNAPPING KICKING AND HOLDING THE BALL

That's a long sentence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

And I would add that there are more than a few teams needing upgrades at the K position. I think for many fans, they would rather have Adam replaced, even if the success rate is the same with the new guy, because some can't handle watching one of their long time players decline. 

If there is not an upgrade available at this time, ride it out. Back the goat on his twilight ride folks....even if it makes you uncomfortable. 

I agree that "riding it out" has as good odds as adding a "strret guy."

But I   think us fans (Colt fans anyway) are more interested in wins.  I dont think "seeing him decline" is as big of a deal as you think.  Vinny was no spring chicken when he got here.

We liked him because we thought he could help

win games.  In my eyes, he's as much A Pat , as a Colt.

He's not at Manning, Mathis, etc level cor me.  In my eyes, he's a "hired gun."

8 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I agree that "riding it out" has as good odds as adding a "strret guy."

But I   think us fans (Colt fans anyway) are more interested in wins.  I dont think "seeing him decline" is as big of a deal as you think.  Vinny was no spring chicken when he got here.

We liked him because we thought he could help

win games.  In my eyes, he's as much A Pat , as a Colt.

He's not at Manning, Mathis, etc level cor me.  In my eyes, he's a "hired gun."

Played with the Pats 10 years

Played with the Colts 14 years

He's an historic kicker for the franchise. 

• Like 1

Adam has given us 13 great years with the Colts. Literally won us a game in the playoff en route to our only Indy Super Bowl by himself. He has broken every significant record with us. He stuck with us through some bad seasons. He’s made Indy his home for his family. His body is just not producing the same as it was a few years ago.

He can cost us more games and that still won’t come close to what he’s given Colts fans. Don’t boo the man.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Adam has given us 13 great years with the Colts. Literally won us a game in the playoff en route to our only Indy Super Bowl by himself. He has broken every significant record with us. He stuck with us through some bad seasons. He’s made Indy his home for his family. His body is just not producing the same as it was a few years ago.

He can cost us more games and that still won’t come close to what he’s given Colts fans. Don’t boo the man.

:heart:  thank you for putting into words my feelings!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

You have to had played in the NFL to have a meaningful opinion, got it. Does that logic apply everywhere or just this topic with kicking? 

Bill Belicheck has never taken a defensive snap in the NFL so therefore you think his opinion is garbage vs lets say Bjorn Werner? Also tells us that Chris Ballard isnt qualified to make any decision on Vinny because he hasnt kicked balls in the NFL either. Better get Pat in here to run player personnel according to you.

First off I said my opinion.   If you want to listen to align with people that have no idea what they're talking about,   that's your choice.   I choose to listen to folks that have been there and done that.