Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts top challenger to Pats in AFC?

Lucky Colts Fan

Adam Rank of NFL.com seems to think so.

state-of-the-franchise-colts-viable-contenders-for-super-bowl

The Colts are now one of the top contenders in the AFC. In fact, even if the Patriots won't admit it, Indy's got to be the team they are the most concerned about.

Will the Colts be the team that brings down the evil empire?

bill.belichick.hate.memes.9.jpg

sn_gross_cr_576x324.jpg

1*z1Uz66BnxiwLfwGkYflDKA.png

Luck Skywalker is A New Hope!

sn_e_lucksky_576x407.jpg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

We are definitely one of the teams they may be facing in the playoffs.  I just hope we can get home field against them (doubtful with the Pat's schedule vs ours).  If we're *healthy* I like our chances of beating them.

I don't like our chances in Foxboro. 

• Like 2

No.  Not even close.  We have done nothing to prove we are ready.  It took an outstanding winning streak to make the playoffs before we were trounced by a team the Patriots beat. The better question is are we ready to win the division. Haven’t done that in awhile either.  

Super Bowl.  Hahahaha.  Come on. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

No.  Not even close.  We have done nothing to prove we are ready.  It took an outstanding winning streak to make the playoffs before we were trounced by a team the Patriots beat. The better question is are we ready to win the division. Haven’t done that in awhile either.  

Doesn't the outstanding winning streak also prove that this team can string wins together and be competitive?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

48 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Doesn't the outstanding winning streak also prove that this team can string wins together and be competitive?

Oh Absolutely!  Colts can be super competitive.  They can also be shut out by a last place team.  Anything is possible and I want the Colts to win. I’m just saying more needs to be seen and winning the division would be a good first step towards that. 

The Colts are ONE OF the top teams in the AFC.    Not sure we’re ready to be crowned THE TOP challenger to the Pats.

Let’s not forget KC.    Let’s not forget San Diego.   Let’s not forget Pittsburgh.  Let’s not forget Cleveland.   And let’s not forget we have to first WIN the AFC South before we feel too good about ourselves....

But yes....    we are one of the top teams in the AFC.     We’ll find out just how good in two months when the regular season starts. 

• Like 4

Not surprised with this claim. Did we not have half of our roster on IR the last time we faced them and STILL managed to make it a 1 score game at one point? Tipped and bobbled INTs lost us that game, and I don't know what the secondary was doing just before Josh Gordon caught that prayer. 

I've been chatting with Pats fans on various forums and they are spooked by what is currently being built in Indy....

• Like 5

To be the best you must beat the best. No excuses. The first part of winning over stiff competition is believing you can beat the best. Either you have excellent reason for that belief, or you're delusional. At this point, we don't have enough information to judge whether we are reasonable or delusional. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts are ONE OF the top teams in the AFC.    Not sure we’re ready to be crowned THE TOP challenger to the Pats.

Let’s not forget KC.    Let’s not forget San Diego.   Let’s not forget Pittsburgh.  Let’s not forget Cleveland.   And let’s not forget we have to first WIN the AFC South before we feel too good about ourselves....

But yes....    we are one of the top teams in the AFC.     We’ll find out just how good in two months when the regular season starts. 

I agree with all of your post, but.... we can forget about San Diego! haha sorry to be that guy. I'm just fooling around.

12 hours ago, dodsworth said:

I just want to know how the SB winner is given a weak schedule?

It's not like they need anymore F------g help anyways.....

Well... it's not really given to them on purpose. 14 games are already decided for years. They just get 6 games against the worst division. And 4 games of the NFC east and 4 games of the NFC north. Both divisions are kinda up in the air this year.. 

• Like 1

I do think the team we're building is the type of team that gives fits to the Pats. A team that wins in the trenches, that can run the ball, and play tough defense. Teams that try to air it out against the pats, don't tend to have a lot of success.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I do think the team we're building is the type of team that gives fits to the Pats. A team that wins in the trenches, that can run the ball, and play tough defense. Teams that try to air it out against the pats, don't tend to have a lot of success.  

I find it really exciting that we're becoming the type of team that was exactly our kryptonite in the Manning days. 

I guess I'm in the camp of - to be the best you have to beat the best.  And to say "one of the top contenders in the AFC to beat the Pats" doesn't really mean much to me.  Basically means you are a playoff team.  6 teams in the AFC make the playoffs and the Pats are one of those.  So the Colts are one of the other 5 teams to make the playoffs.  If you look at the list above - KC, Pittsburgh, San Diego and Cleveland (which I also don't believe yet) - add the Pats and Colts and you have 6 playoff teams.  From that perspective the Colts were "one of the top contenders" last year.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I guess I'm in the camp of - to be the best you have to beat the best.  And to say "one of the top contenders in the AFC to beat the Pats" doesn't really mean much to me.  Basically means you are a playoff team.  6 teams in the AFC make the playoffs and the Pats are one of those.  So the Colts are one of the other 5 teams to make the playoffs.  If you look at the list above - KC, Pittsburgh, San Diego and Cleveland (which I also don't believe yet) - add the Pats and Colts and you have 6 playoff teams.  From that perspective the Colts were "one of the top contenders" last year.

image.png.a159eaf28ddb5d1ca14a5f79cb3dffe6.png

Ravens will be hanging around there too. Our schedule is brutal enough with playing potential playoff teams in Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, Chiefs etc. and the Broncos will be a tough one too this year with Fangio's D implemented. Not to mention, the NFC South that can give headaches.

17 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree, This is a year to prove we belong in the "elite" group of the AFC. That said I am very excited to see this unfold. Ballard gets it and turning our lines from horrible to solid. The defense has taken huge turns up and I am looking forward to see Banagu and Leonard on the field together. We didnt lose anybody that matters and we added lots of key players on both sides of the ball. Lets see if we can start with a couple of wins to start the season and build on that

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ManningGM said:

I like our chances with or without home field advantage. Bring it on. 

I like them even more when we don't have to play in the snow and rain.  That's what we tend to get when we have to play on the road during the playoffs . In the dome in front of our home crowd with the speed rushers is where we can really put on a show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Troll much?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The year we won the SB, I remember playing tough teams, tough games and barely eeking out wins by running the ball well. We have a tough schedule and  Reichs statement regarding running the ball might be prophetic for the upcoming season. Beating tough teams in the season will make us confident in the playoffs and battle tested.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ratking said:

Colts arent going to the superbowl... The chiefs playoff game last year showed that. 

The Kansas City Chiefs went from choking in the Wild Card Round against Mariota and the Titans to being an offsides penalty away from a Super Bowl berth.

What is your point? None of us have a clue as to how things will turn out as so much changes season to season in the NFL.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Troll much?

Not trolling.  It’s a serious question.  After missing the playoffs 3 straight years and needing an awesome winning streak to make the playoffs...are the Colts ready to win the division? The AFC South will be very competitive.  Of course the goal is always to win it all but let’s be real...the Colts are still a fringe playoff team.  

14 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Not trolling.  It’s a serious question.  After missing the playoffs 3 straight years and needing an awesome winning streak to make the playoffs...are the Colts ready to win the division? The AFC South will be very competitive.  Of course the goal is always to win it all but let’s be real...the Colts are still a fringe playoff team.  

I think you're missing a key point that this team was *only put together* last year.  Luck came back from injury and we had how many rookies playing last year?  Two of them were amongst the most impacting players of the year.  That keyed with the depth and expected growth of this team puts us (on paper before any games are played) in a very good position to take the next step and become a powerhouse.

On 7/2/2019 at 7:40 PM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Oooh this makes me scared lol I kinda like it better when we don't have expectations

Eh, I'll take it. When no one's talking about us, we complain that we're not getting any respect, when analysts are calling us a top team in the AFC, we prefer to fly under the radar. We can't have it both ways.

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2019 at 10:41 PM, NewColtsFan said:

You can go ahead and forget Pittsburgh.

16 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

You're a *'s fan.  go worry about Vrabel and what you still claim is an NFL starting caliber QB.