Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts top challenger to Pats in AFC?

Lucky Colts Fan

The deeper I look at teams across the NFL, the more I think it's anyone's SB.

Not literally anyone's, but there are 6 teams on each side I could see going to the SB. 

In the AFC... The Chiefs couldn't do it last year, and they've lost some key pieces and Mahomes isn't going to surprise anyone this year. Pats are another year older and lost some pieces. They have a great schedule to lean on, but I don't see them repeating. LAC have as good as case as anyone. The Browns have a ton of talent, could make noise, but could also be the Browns that we've seen for a long time too. The Browns, like KC, will go the way of the QB, and I'd bet one gets injured this year. Pit and Balt have lost a lot, or have huge holes in areas. Cinci IMO might be a spoiler in the AFCN. 

The Colts are top to bottom solid with several upgrades. Wish we had the Pats at home this year.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

The deeper I look at teams across the NFL, the more I think it's anyone's SB.

Not literally anyone's, but there are 6 teams on each side I could see going to the SB. 

In the AFC... The Chiefs couldn't do it last year, and they've lost some key pieces and Mahomes isn't going to surprise anyone this year. Pats are another year older and lost some pieces. They have a great schedule to lean on, but I don't see them repeating. LAC have as good as case as anyone. The Browns have a ton of talent, could make noise, but could also be the Browns that we've seen for a long time too. The Browns, like KC, will go the way of the QB, and I'd bet one gets injured this year. Pit and Balt have lost a lot, or have huge holes in areas. Cinci IMO might be a spoiler in the AFCN. 

The Colts are top to bottom solid with several upgrades. Wish we had the Pats at home this year.

I would say in the AFC the SB contenders are:

Pats, Chiefs, Chargers, and Colts. I do have the Browns winning the AFC North but do not see them as a SB contender. Just like the Texans in recent years. I always just looked at them at possibly winning the division but I figured they were never good enough to beat the Pats or Broncos when Peyton was there (2015). 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would say in the AFC the SB contenders are:

Pats, Chiefs, Chargers, and Colts. I do have the Browns winning the AFC North but do not see them as a SB contender. Just like the Texans in recent years. I always just looked at them at possibly winning the division but I figured they were never good enough to beat the Pats or Broncos when Peyton was there (2015). 

I think the Browns are a "wild card". Not a wild card into the playoffs (could be).  They could be the KC of last year. Or they could be a choke monster. IMO, from top to bottom, they are in the strongest division. Not the strongest in terms of having the best team or teams, but a division that has very solid teams top to bottom. 

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To add to that I see the Steelers around 9-7, same for the Ravens. That division is very winnable for the Browns.

I would not be surprised if any AFCN team won the division. I think every team is solid, and there's a lot that could happen. I think ceilings are highest this year for the Browns and Bengals, but I also know each has a history of choking. 

• Like 1

I just think outside of the Pats, Chiefs, Chargers, and Colts no other team is a lock to making the playoffs. Of course those 4 teams QB's have to stay healthy is the caveat to be a sure thing. The AFC North is a crapshoot is why my Browns pick is off the wall lmao . That last wildcard spot will be really up for grabs as well. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 8:05 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

Im also talking this year.  The Colts have a very tough schedule and I think they could go 11-5 or just as easy 9-7. There will be a lot of competition and the main focus should be making the playoffs and winning our division.  I’m not ready to crown the Colts a powerhouse team that will rival the greatest dynasty ever when they haven’t won their division in 5 years.  I still think we are 1-2yrs out before we get a shot at the big game.  Making the 2nd round of the playoffs is still a good year tho. The run at the end was so much fun to watch, I get why people are optimistic bc I am too. We are on our way back for sure. 

So if we can make the 2nd round, how should we not have Super Bowl aspirations? The greatest dynasty ever is running on fumes, and has been for a few years now. It's time for us to take over as the powerhouse of the AFC. I'm not saying it will happen this year, but I hope it will happen this year. At any rate, we have a shot

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2019 at 3:53 PM, Dudley Smith said:

Cleveland managed to win more than one game in a season last year for the first time in three years and suddenly they are the favorites in many people's eyes to win a division they haven't won in like two decades. Makes sense.

the past would be relevant if they were fielding the same team year after year.  they have a lot of new faces and good young players that wont be rookies this year.  they are probably the most well rounded team, talent wise in that division right now

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 7:54 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

Yes, the Colts were so much on the fringe of the playoffs they had to win nearly every remaining game.  Did something only done once before in the modern era.  One heck of an accomplishment. Still barely made the playoffs and then lost terribly to the AFC runner up. Sticking with my label of the Colts are a fringe playoff team.  However, I think they are 1-2 years away from making some major noise and making the AFC championship game.  From there it’s anyones game, final 4 teams are always really good.  

To go with your theory one has to think we have the same team as we had last year.
 We have added a number of really nice pieces that address clear weaknesses, Depth, and have a year of experience with coaching staffs and systems. Sorry, but that matters.

And as of training camp we will be much healthier than we were when getting beat by KC. 
 The slate is clean as of today, and there should be expectation that we will be hard to beat Every Sunday. 

• Like 2