Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts top challenger to Pats in AFC?

Lucky Colts Fan

16 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Not trolling.  It’s a serious question.  After missing the playoffs 3 straight years and needing an awesome winning streak to make the playoffs...are the Colts ready to win the division? The AFC South will be very competitive.  Of course the goal is always to win it all but let’s be real...the Colts are still a fringe playoff team.  

"Fringe playoff team???" 

45 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

"Fringe playoff team???" 

Yes fringe playoff team.  They needed to win the last game of the year to make the playoffs after not making it the previous three years.   Doesn’t get anymore fringe than that.  I think they will make it this year.  

2 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I think you're missing a key point that this team was *only put together* last year.  Luck came back from injury and we had how many rookies playing last year?  Two of them were amongst the most impacting players of the year.  That keyed with the depth and expected growth of this team puts us (on paper before any games are played) in a very good position to take the next step and become a powerhouse.

I disagree. It puts us in very good position to win the division. I think we will.  However, powerhouse??  Not there yet. 

2 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I disagree. It puts us in very good position to win the division. I think we will.  However, powerhouse??  Not there yet. 

I would be surprised if we didn't win our division this upcoming season as long as we stay relatively healthy. It won't be easy though because our schedule is tougher this upcoming season, and the Jags with Foles should be better. Jags have a great D as well. I think we have Houston and Tennessee's number, JMO. We proved that last year. We won't start 1-5 again and we will be a better team that has gained the experiences from last season. Reich in year 2 should even be better. How far we go in the playoffs is a real tough call. The AFC has a lot of solid teams = Pats, KC, LAC, even the Browns look good on paper. We should be elite 8 again at worse but the playoffs are a different animal. We made Houston look bad in the playoffs and they even had HFA.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would be surprised if we didn't win our division this upcoming season as long as we stay relatively healthy. It won't be easy though because our schedule is tougher this upcoming season, and the Jags with Foles should be better. Jags have a great D as well. I think we have Houston and Tennessee's number, JMO. We proved that last year. We won't start 1-5 again and we will be a better team that has gained the experiences from last season. Reich in year 2 should even be better. How far we go in the playoffs is a real tough call. The AFC has a lot of solid teams = Pats, KC, LAC, even the Browns look good on paper. We should be elite 8 again at worse but the playoffs are a different animal. We made Houston look bad in the playoffs and they even had HFA.

Awesome to see someone else thinking along the lines I am.  I think 2nd round of playoffs would be a terrific season.  I think we have the potential to be top 4 in our conference.  To reach the AFC championship, it will rely on a favorable matchup.  I don’t think we are ready to go into foxboro and win yet.  I don’t think we are ready to go to KC or Pittsburgh and win.  We will find out during the regular season tho.  As long as they keep progressing and the defense develops more we are on the right track. Hooker should show why he was a first round pick, Darius Leonard could make the next step if he stays healthy and I think we see one of the linemen from last years draft start to separate themselves from the rest of the pack.  Wilson, and Rock ya Sins development will be critical

17 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Awesome to see someone else thinking along the lines I am.  I think 2nd round of playoffs would be a terrific season.  I think we have the potential to be top 4 in our conference.  To reach the AFC championship, it will rely on a favorable matchup.  I don’t think we are ready to go into foxboro and win yet.  I don’t think we are ready to go to KC or Pittsburgh and win.  We will find out during the regular season tho.  As long as they keep progressing and the defense develops more we are on the right track. Hooker should show why he was a first round pick, Darius Leonard could make the next step if he stays healthy and I think we see one of the linemen from last years draft start to separate themselves from the rest of the pack.  Wilson, and Rock ya Sins development will be critical

The 2 teams that have me curious are the Steelers and Ravens. Will they be better or worse. I believe the Browns will be better than 7-8-1 IMO. So the Browns will not be the usual easy win in that division.

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The 2 teams that have me curious are the Steelers and Ravens. Will they be better or worse. I believe the Browns will be better than 7-8-1 IMO. So the Browns will not be the usual easy win in that division.

I think it will be the ravens who take a step back.  I think the AFC north will only get one team in this year. I’m putting my money in Pittsburgh. Until Big Ben declines they are the team to beat. Last year was a mess for them and should have addition by subtraction. My 6 teams for the AFC playoffs will be: NE, KC, Indy, Pittsburgh as division winners and LA and Houston/Jacksonville getting the wildcard. 

1 minute ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think it will be the ravens who take a step back.  I think the AFC north will only get one team in this year. I’m putting my money in Pittsburgh. Until Big Ben declines they are the team to beat. Last year was a mess for them and should have addition by subtraction. My 6 teams for the AFC playoffs will be: NE, KC, Indy, Pittsburgh as division winners and LA and Houston/Jacksonville getting the wildcard. 

As of now I am going to roll with the Browns in the AFC North. It is a gamble and they may end up 8-8 but I see them as 10-6. I am not sure the Steelers will be the same moving forward after last year. I am not sure Lamar at QB can stay healthy for the Ravens.

I have = NE, KC, Indy, Browns as my division winners. WC = LAC and Jags. I see the Jags and Texans as pretty even but the Texans won several close games last season, law of averages says they won't be as lucky. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As of now I am going to roll with the Browns in the AFC North. It is a gamble and they may end up 8-8 but I see them as 10-6. I am not sure the Steelers will be the same moving forward after last year. I am not sure Lamar at QB can stay healthy for the Ravens.

I have = NE, KC, Indy, Browns as my division winners. WC = LAC and Jags. I see the Jags and Texans as pretty even but the Texans won several close games last season, law of averages says they won't be as lucky. 

I can go with that.  My gut says Jacksonville bc of that defense but my mind says Houston bc I think watson is a good QB.  Will suck playing him for the next decade.  As for the Browns, IDK.  They look great on paper but so did the “dream team” eagles.  I absolutely love Baker Mayfield and his cocky swagger. Reminds me of a young Phillip Rivers but better.  Landry is very underrated at WR, they have a TE that will be in the pro bowl soon and Nick Chubb has workhorse written all over him. That defense is sneaky good bc they are very young.  I need to look up who their DC is bc I’m sure he is loving his job. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I can go with that.  My gut says Jacksonville bc of that defense but my mind says Houston bc I think watson is a good QB.  Will suck playing him for the next decade.  As for the Browns, IDK.  They look great on paper but so did the “dream team” eagles.  I absolutely love Baker Mayfield and his cocky swagger. Reminds me of a young Phillip Rivers but better.  Landry is very underrated at WR, they have a TE that will be in the pro bowl soon and Nick Chubb has workhorse written all over him. That defense is sneaky good bc they are very young.  I need to look up who their DC is bc I’m sure he is loving his job. 

Yeah I remember when that Eagles team was put together and everyone was calling them the dream team lol. If I remember didn't they only go 8-8. That is was makes football fun, the element of surprise is always there. Pats have defied logic by winning this many SB's but they have a great coach, great QB, and great system. Until father time catches up with Brady it is what it is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Given the schedules / SOS, I see: 

AFC East - NE, with one of the easiest schedules, winning with 3-4 losses

AFC North - Total crapshoot. Balt with 5-6 losses, Cinci with 5ish, Cleveland with 5ish, and Pitt with 5-6. Cinci could end up being a surprise, but I think Cleveland comes through.

AFC South - Texans 5-6 losses, Jax with 5-6, and Indy with 4-5. Will be interesting but I think the Colts take it. 

AFC West - KC with 5-6 losses, LAC with 5ish. Could go either way, but I think LAC takes it. 

AFC WCs are KC and one of many (Balt/Cinci/Pitt/Jax)

NE, simply by it's cakewalk schedule, should have the best record and home field throughout the playoffs. The rest of it could go so many ways.

I think the Jags with Foles are going to take a step forward over Houston and the Titans. I think we will win the division crown. You may think I'm being a bit bold here, but I'm expecting our D to be right up there with the Jags D when it's all said and done. I think we are really deep in the secondary, and I think we may potentially have better pieces on our D line overall then what the Jags have had the past two seasons outside of Calais Campbell.. The speed of our linebackers is very similar in my opinion and we are pretty good on the back end too. And with it being the 2nd year in the system the execution will be better. Im expecting the D to be pretty consistent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think the Jags with Foles are going to take a step forward over Houston and the Titans. I think we will win the division crown. You may think I'm being a bit bold here, but I'm expecting our D to be right up there with the Jags D when it's all said and done. I think we are really deep in the secondary, and I think we may potentially have better pieces on our D line overall then what the Jags have had the past two seasons outside of Calais Campbell.. The speed of our linebackers is very similar in my opinion and we are pretty good on the back end too. And with it being the 2nd year in the system the execution will be better. Im expecting the D to be pretty consistent.

I hope that Houston is a piece that will raise, collectively, the DL's level of play. If that happens, then I agree. If the pass rush improves, that will have a positive impact on both LB and especially DB play. If it all comes together, our D can be very formidable. 

It's going to be very hard though. The QBs / passing teams that we face this year will be far better than last year. 

• Thanks 1

We have to go 4-2 in the division.  Colts play Chargers, Falcons, Chiefs, Steelers, Saints and Panthers. I’m seeing 3-3 in those brutal games. Probably drop a game we aren’t expecting and that puts us at 10-6. Dumb luck and an injury or two could make that 11-5 or 9-7.  Going to be a tough year and I’m excited to see what they are made of.  The third year players, Hooker/Wilson/Mack have to step up and become the better players on the team. Can’t afford any sophomore slumps and hopefully a couple rookies will break thru in case of injuries. 

Am I the only person here who can see KC taking a step backwards and the Jags not being as good as expected?

KC's defense last year wasn't great other than the pass rush, and they've lost a few proven performers (Houston, Ford) while only bringing in one proven pass rusher, the loss of Tyreek Hill for a few games may hit the passing game hard (it will certainly make it easier for teams to double Travis Kelce) and they seem to be assuming that Damien Williams will be as productive as he was at the end of last season, rather than the unproductive back from his 4 years at Miami.

With the Jags, everybody seems to assume that Nick Foles will be the Eagles version of the player, rather than the Rams version of the player when he was taken out of their system.  While he may be as productive as when he was in Philly, it may be a more reasonable expectation of his upside is Case Keenum in Denver level.  If Foles is at the Case Keenum level, expect a similar playoff run to Denver's last season despite the quality of the defense.

4 hours ago, IkeAramba said:

Am I the only person here who can see KC taking a step backwards and the Jags not being as good as expected?

KC's defense last year wasn't great other than the pass rush, and they've lost a few proven performers (Houston, Ford) while only bringing in one proven pass rusher, the loss of Tyreek Hill for a few games may hit the passing game hard (it will certainly make it easier for teams to double Travis Kelce) and they seem to be assuming that Damien Williams will be as productive as he was at the end of last season, rather than the unproductive back from his 4 years at Miami.

With the Jags, everybody seems to assume that Nick Foles will be the Eagles version of the player, rather than the Rams version of the player when he was taken out of their system.  While he may be as productive as when he was in Philly, it may be a more reasonable expectation of his upside is Case Keenum in Denver level.  If Foles is at the Case Keenum level, expect a similar playoff run to Denver's last season despite the quality of the defense.

He's got the same guy he had in Philly minus Frank Reich.  Defillipo was with Foles in Philly.

System should be somewhat familiar and similar.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Until we beat the stealers we aren’t.

Steelers have never beat the Pats in the playoffs but people talk about us never beating them with Luck. Ben is older and Brown is gone. Brown may be a head case but he also was an automatic 100 catches. You are not replacing that. Browns will win that division IMO.

21 hours ago, IkeAramba said:

The Jags have been a QB away from being elite; now they have their guy. Don’t underestimate them; terrific D and an improved O will be formidable. 

On 7/3/2019 at 9:22 AM, ManningGM said:

Not surprised with this claim. Did we not have half of our roster on IR the last time we faced them and STILL managed to make it a 1 score game at one point? Tipped and bobbled INTs lost us that game, and I don't know what the secondary was doing just before Josh Gordon caught that prayer. 

I've been chatting with Pats fans on various forums and they are spooked by what is currently being built in Indy....

Tipped INTs is why they were in that game though.

23 hours ago, IkeAramba said:

His upside is not Case Keenan in DEN...come on.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 5:44 AM, Irish YJ said:

AFC South - Texans 5-6 losses, Jax with 5-6, and Indy with 4-5. Will be interesting but I think the Colts take it. 

The Jaguars went 10-6 in 2017, when they were #1 defense and #5 scoring offense, and tend to flop quickly when things don't go the right way for them. So I don't see them go 10-6 again with a much tougher schedule, with a worse (and especially, a lot thinner) roster than in 2017. In 2017 Bortles wasn't terrible. He wasn't great, but they were the #5 scoring offense (thanks to the ton's of turnovers the defense gave them). Foles is better than Bortles 2018 certainly. But is he THAT much better than Bortles 2017, that he'll compensate the loss of Robinson, Hearns, M. Lewis, a very-very good oline that Bortles had in 2017? Foles was 21 TDs, 12INTs quarterback in Philly, with all that help he got starting with Reich / Pederson, then an elite OL, elite running game, very-very good and deep WR corp, and very good TE play. They have Defilippo who I am not sure about after that Minnesota year. Is he the same breed as Reich / Pederson? I need to see it first. The Jags have practically no TE game compared to Philly, much weaker OL and WR corp. And only Fournette at RB, who is a battling ram, but he's running below 4 yards per carry, and not a good pass catcher. Foles will need Defilippo big time to make this somehow work. Not to mention, that the entire Jags roster become a lot thinner than it was. One or two injuries might make that team very different than it looks on paper.

Regarding the Texans, I think they will have a relatively down year. They weren't all that impressive last year neither. They had their 11 games winning streak which is as impressive as the Colts's streak was of course. And they had similar problems as the Colts had: when the Colts missed Hooker or Walker, the defense struggled big time 'cause lack of quality depth. The Texans were similar. There were 2 differences though. 1: when healthy, the Colts looked like a team with high ceiling. The Texans didn't. Even when Hopkins played mind blowingly well, they still looked like an "OK team", who are good. but nothing special. And 2: the Colts roster got a lot deeper in the offseason, but the Texans didn't. Actually, imo, they got worse and thinner. This year's schedule is brutal, I don't see them winning games they way they did last year against the Bills etc. That will be not enough against Atlanta, the Panthers, etc.

The Titans, on the other hand have a very solid roster. A very-very solid one, and they actually got better in the offseason. If Mariota stays healthy, they can be a tough team to beat. Maybe I'm in the minority with this opinion, but I think their team is better suited for the upcoming tough schedule than the Texans or the Jags, and thus, they might be the #1 rival for the Colts in 2019. Not sure why, but they usually play well against tough opponents, and can pull off some upsets, unlike the Texans (and the Jags, unless it's the Steelers). Even in the playoffs.

All in all, I don't think there will be 3 teams with positive records this year. Whoever will win the division (hopefully the Colts), will get to the playoff, but evend the team finising at second place will have a hard time grabbing a wild card spot. (I can even see only one team finishing with positive record.)

We'll see.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 4:52 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

Yes fringe playoff team.  They needed to win the last game of the year to make the playoffs after not making it the previous three years.   Doesn’t get anymore fringe than that.  I think they will make it this year.  

We're talking this year, not last year. And yes, technically we were fringe last year if you only look at that, but that's not the full picture. We were the hottest team in the NFL.

On 7/4/2019 at 4:52 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

Each game after going 1-5 was a virtual playoff game, son. 

6 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Each game after going 1-5 was a virtual playoff game, son. 

Yes, the Colts were so much on the fringe of the playoffs they had to win nearly every remaining game.  Did something only done once before in the modern era.  One heck of an accomplishment. Still barely made the playoffs and then lost terribly to the AFC runner up. Sticking with my label of the Colts are a fringe playoff team.  However, I think they are 1-2 years away from making some major noise and making the AFC championship game.  From there it’s anyones game, final 4 teams are always really good.  

9 hours ago, BigQungus said:

We're talking this year, not last year. And yes, technically we were fringe last year if you only look at that, but that's not the full picture. We were the hottest team in the NFL.

Im also talking this year.  The Colts have a very tough schedule and I think they could go 11-5 or just as easy 9-7. There will be a lot of competition and the main focus should be making the playoffs and winning our division.  I’m not ready to crown the Colts a powerhouse team that will rival the greatest dynasty ever when they haven’t won their division in 5 years.  I still think we are 1-2yrs out before we get a shot at the big game.  Making the 2nd round of the playoffs is still a good year tho. The run at the end was so much fun to watch, I get why people are optimistic bc I am too. We are on our way back for sure. 

31 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Yes, the Colts were so much on the fringe of the playoffs they had to win nearly every remaining game.  Did something only done once before in the modern era.  One heck of an accomplishment. Still barely made the playoffs and then lost terribly to the AFC runner up. Sticking with my label of the Colts are a fringe playoff team.

How can a team, that wins a game on the road in the playoffs - beating the divisional winner of their own division - be a fringe playoff team? 

Just curious. Were the Chargers a fringe playoff team too? They lost terribly in the same divisional round. And what about the Vikings? They lost 38-7 to Philly in 2017. Were they a fringe playoff team?

If we win our division and we should that will put us with a higher seed than last year and at least 1 home game in the playoffs. If we get a bye week, we have a great shot then of knocking anyone off. I have us going 11-5, not sure 11-5 will be good enough for a #2 seed and a bye? It may, it was for the Pats last year. 12-4 is the standard for a #1 seed.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:41 PM, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts are ONE OF the top teams in the AFC.    Not sure we’re ready to be crowned THE TOP challenger to the Pats.

Let’s not forget KC.    Let’s not forget San Diego.   Let’s not forget Pittsburgh.  Let’s not forget Cleveland.   And let’s not forget we have to first WIN the AFC South before we feel too good about ourselves....

But yes....    we are one of the top teams in the AFC.     We’ll find out just how good in two months when the regular season starts. 

I think obviously KC is the top challenger to New England..

...and I'm not sure its not the other way around

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

How can a team, that wins a game on the road in the playoffs - beating the divisional winner of their own division - be a fringe playoff team? 

Just curious. Were the Chargers a fringe playoff team too? They lost terribly in the same divisional round. And what about the Vikings? They lost 38-7 to Philly in 2017. Were they a fringe playoff team?

Bc the Colts had to win 9 of 10 after starting 1-5.  They were only the 2nd team in the Super Bowl era to ever do that.  Once you are in the playoffs it’s a whole new ball game and everyone start 0-0. 

We have ave a tough schedule this year.   Chiefs, Chargers, Saints, Falcons, Panthers and Steelers will all be tough games.  Do our out of division woes continue?   A lot will depend on the health of the team.  We do not know how these younger guys will be depth wise.   All the other teams will face the same problem so we could go 4-2 or just as easy 2-4.  

It is absolutely critical the Colts have a 4-2 division record. Raiders played us close last year and they improved but I feel we are still better.  Bucs, Broncos and Dolphins are the remaining games, not easy but should be wins but we seem to lay down at least once a year and lose to a team we should easily beat. . I see 9-7 to 11-5 are all possible. More than likely we will be in another win and we are in scenario week 17.  That’s how I feel and just an opinion.  A lot of football to play and if the players continue to develop, they should bc we have a great staff, then we should win the division.  

On 7/5/2019 at 4:51 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Steelers have never beat the Pats in the playoffs but people talk about us never beating them with Luck. Ben is older and Brown is gone. Brown may be a head case but he also was an automatic 100 catches. You are not replacing that. Browns will win that division IMO.

I hate the stealers so I hope the Browns do win. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, a06cc said:

I hate the stealers so I hope the Browns do win. 

Sometimes I make off the wall predictions. I will either look bad with that prediction or look good. No telling how the Browns will do in reality. They could flop and could go 6-10 or go 10-6. I am leaning toward 10-6. I think Mayfield is good and their roster looks good on paper.

• Like 1