Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kenny Moore now highest paid slot CB

Jdubu

6 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

this kind of actions are going to make Indy an attractive destination too....it shows that if you come in  produce and do it the right way, you'll be rewarded.

An attractive destination for UDFAs at best, not so much an attractive destination for FAs after the last 2 free agencies. Draft picks don't have a choice.

3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

So happy for Kenny and he's only going to get better!  When we met him recently in Louisville, I challenged him to have more interceptions that Ebron has TD catches this season.  Ebron was the other Colts player at the event.  Kenny smiled and chuckled, then said, "I'll see if I can make that happen!"

MVIMG_20190523_174745.jpg

I was at that game as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

It will depend on the actual contract and structure of it to say if it makes sense. I agree it’s a bit odd to see these contracts get restructured with more than 1 year remaining of a teams control. Not saying he doesn’t deserve the bump up in pay for what he showed last year so time will tell whether the right choices are being made. Is CB just trying to get a bit ahead of the next new players/owners nfl contract? Idk 

I’m glad we kept Kenny though and hope his play continues as he did last year. 

Actually, I could see this due to the 90% rule.  We had to spend some coin, but doing it smartly.  IF the structure is HEAVILY front loaded, this could give us even more cap room later on when guys like Nelson and Leonard come due for contracts.  And depending on structure, could give us less dead money should we have to cut him later on. If I had to guess, its front loaded for this year and next, and the cap hit/dead money falls to nil after that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Not especially big on giving NFL players big deals TWO years before they hit FA...but Moore is certainly deserving. Signing now gives him some security and allows the team to potentially level out his cap hits somewhat.

That was my first reaction, especially, if it is indeed the highest salary at that position. But then, I reread Rapaport's tweat, and I think the "on new money" note he added might be important there. If it means Moore's contract includes his original 2019 salary and assumed 1st round tender for 2020, and THEN it becomes the highest salary for 2021 and 2020 ("new money"), then it immediatelly makes sense. Moore get's his well deserved money 2 years before it's due, and Ballard can distribute it for the entire 4 years, booking some of his 2021 and 2022 money for years 2019 and 2020. Which means, Moore will end up to cost much less in 4 years span than that 12-ish per year figure. It might actually be much like 8-ish.

I can't wait to see the final numbers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

That wingspan of 78” and arm length is pretty incredible for such a short guy. Maybe that’s why he plays above his size. 

Kind of reminds me of Jason Belser who was 5'9" 188#....tough as nails. They took arm length rather than wingspan at that time. He had 31" arm length.

7 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Don't know why we are doing this other than to catch up to the cap floor.  Kenny Moore had this year and an RFA year left.  Put a 2nd round tender on him and you are paying him like 3 or 4 million for that year.

Paying the guys now to avoid the market inflation of the future is my guess. 2 years from now he would probably command 10 million+ due to inflation and the market being re-set.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Don't know why we are doing this other than to catch up to the cap floor.  Kenny Moore had this year and an RFA year left.  Put a 2nd round tender on him and you are paying him like 3 or 4 million for that year.

BY paying some players now they will open up cap space for guys like Leonard, luck, Nelson, and Hilton in the next couple of years.

There will probably be a couple more coming. AC and maybe Kelly. Ebron isn’t quite as big of a priority because he is already making around 7m. He will get a little bit of a pay raise but not nearly the extent that Moore got. 

6 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Great for Kenny but if Ballard plans on giving out max contracts

then there will be salary cap problems in the future. This is 

great for UDFA's watching and will get paid if they make the 

team and perform.

I dont think these contracts hurt as bad as missing on BIG contracts to QBs , egde, receivers, RBs, etc.   Alot has to do with structure and guarantees as well. 

Tho he may be "highest paid" slot, in my mind, its not a "max" contract like some positions.

Ballard has been saving $ for these guys..... HIS guys.  I dont see Ballard getting us in cap trouble.  The man has it covered.

• Like 3

Good for Kenny and his family. Very well deserved. I thought he was the best DB on the team last season In terms of production and consistency.

This confirms what I thought about our DB group though. And that’s that it’s likely someone will get traded. Desir and Moore are locked up long term. Ya-Sin and Tell were just drafted. Hairston seems like a likely candidate since it looks like he was better in man than our Zone scheme.

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Paying the guys now to avoid the market inflation of the future is my guess. 2 years from now he would probably command 10 million+ due to inflation and the market being re-set.

This may be it and yes it could be considered a really good deal in 2 years IF, and it’s huge, if he continues to play like he did the 1 standout season that he did play in. We are gambling on the bet of he is going to be the guy we seen last season, not the guy who was cut from the Pats. 

6 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Great for Kenny but if Ballard plans on giving out max contracts

then there will be salary cap problems in the future. This is 

great for UDFA's watching and will get paid if they make the 

team and perform.

Yeah, i'm sure a schlep like Chris Ballard isn't even thinking about salary cap implications when he makes moves like this.  Such a shortsighted impulsive non detail oriented on, that man.

And I didn't realize the NFL has max contracts now.  When did they become the NBA?

19 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

This may be it and yes it could be considered a really good deal in 2 years IF, and it’s huge, if he continues to play like he did the 1 standout season that he did play in. We are gambling on the bet of he is going to be the guy we seen last season, not the guy who was cut from the Pats. 

Moore looked really good with the pats. He got caught up in a numbers game. There is a video of BB talking about how much he loved Moore. We are going to be the same way this year cutting good players.

• Like 2

Now THIS makes me laugh.  I recall a lot of people claiming he was going to be cut this preseason.  I won't name names, but you all know who you are!

Kenny is top notch all the way.  I am really happy they are rewarding the guys who played their butts off.  Heck with the high price FA's, this is where the money should be going!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

"Moore set a record in post season sacks. In two games he did better then Freeny and Mathis in their entire career"

giphy.gif

I assume he didn’t mean Freeny and Mathis combined post season. I am sure they had more sacks if you combine their entire career. I assume he meant in two games or one post season.

• Like 1

I like Kenny Moore.  Loved him for what we were paying him before. As the highest paid at his position...not so sure. 

He has one good season and now Ballard wants to make him the highest paid slot in the league.  I don’t really know about that.  Ballard plays all Mr. Scrooge with big time players who could possibly put us over the top but goes out of his way to break open the checkbook to sign a solid slot corner to a big deal after ONE good season. Hope this doesn’t come back to bite us.  This wasn’t really a move that needed to be made right now in my opinion. 

• Like 1

This makes sense for several reasons: (Two, most of all really)

1*) We have the cap space *NOW* to set the market. If Kenny averages out, its not a massive hit in the longer run

2*) There two CB3's about to be PAID for the Chargers and for Denver. If Kenny were to out-play both of those guys next year, as a restricted Free Agent next year we're going to get into a massive bidding war. By nipping this is the butt early, we do ourselves a favor.

3) He's clearly out-performing his current contract. I think he was slated to make... 345k next year? Reward our own.

4) Salary cap hit gets lessened every year

Theres a couple other reasons, but those get into the rah-rah/locker room/chopping wood anecdotes. Or, the NFLPA CBA agreement coming to an end in 2020

The move makes sense, glad it was made

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I love Moore, and glad he's locked in, but I think the contract is a little too much.

Nothing I'm going to lose sleep over.

Guessing they're working on other extensions as well. Thought Kelly's would be the first. 

Stats don’t lie.

We will see about more extensions. AC, Kelly, and Ebron could be possibilities.

7 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Well he got $10M+/year for his three FA years. Could be as much as $12M...though no idea what it would take to get there.