Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kenny Moore now highest paid slot CB

Jdubu

13 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

Positional spending is only matters if you do some crazy overspending somewhere. Like when the Jaguars signed Malik Jackson, Dareus and Campbell to record contracts in a very short term. That's an overspending at DL, when they also had Ngakogue, an 2018 first round pick (and now ANOTHER top10 pick in 2019). That was luxury. And short term thinking, because by most part, that is the reason why they are in soooo tight situation regarding the calary cap. (And it's not over, they will have a tough 2020 year coming.)

However, the Colt's positional spending structure merely just reflects at which positions they have more veterans and less rookies and vice versa. There are no "luxury" signings, there are no highly paid underarchievers there. Actually, the Colts is one of the best teams in that regard in the league.

The positional spending will naturally and dynamically change over time, as veterans leave/retire and new guys arrive. There's nothing wrong with that. 

the jaguars are actually pretty good at managing their salary cap.  they have been short on space for a while now, but still they still manage to make moves every year

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think he is a guy you give a early extension to. The guys who are going to get them early are guys who have clearly played above their contact like Moore.

I think the situation at TE with all 3 expiring may warrant an early one for Cox. They've been high on him, and he'll be the easiest to lock in. And that by itself will relieve pressure (and add leverage possibly) to negotiations with Ebron and/or Doyle. I only think we bring 2 back unless Doyle is very reasonable. 

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

TE are not. QB or DE. The pay scale is not as high as those two positions. Would you guys rather start over at TE and set our SB chances back. TE are very important in Reichs scheme.  There is no reason they can’t keep all three. 

You don't need to start over. And bringing back only 2 for instance, is not starting over. And yes, we use TEs a lot, but Ebron's high usage last year likely had a lot to do with the mediocrity of WR. And still we used 2 TE sets only 26ish% of the time IIRC. And now we have a TE-lite Funch.

2 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

You don't need to start over. And bringing back only 2 for instance, is not starting over. And yes, we use TEs a lot, but Ebron's high usage last year likely had a lot to do with the mediocrity of WR. And still we used 2 TE sets only 26ish% of the time IIRC. And now we have a TE-lite Funch.

Some of that’s is true. Luck though has a history of loving TE going back to college.

I am not worried about doyle being resonable. He is from Indy and isn’t going to want to start over at his age with a new team. Plus Ebron is already making like 7 m. His pay increase won’t be that much. His will be more of added years.

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

Cox has been in the league since 2017 when he first signed with the Colts. He was an UDFA who hadn't played organized football since HS. So technically he'll have been in the league 3 years after 2019. Not sure what label of FA he'd be under, but ERFA should expire after his 3rd year.

He gets zero "credit" for 2017 as he didn't appear in 6 regular season games. So as far as him "getting to unrestricted FA " he needs 3 more years.  In 2020 , the Colts make him an offer and he has to sign it. 2021 , he's a restricted FA. That would mean the Colts get a draft pick if someone signs him to a contract larger than our qualifying offer. We do have the right to match that offer. 

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Some of that’s is true. Luck though has a history of loving TE going back to college.

I am not worried about doyle being resonable. He is from Indy and isn’t going to want to start over at his age with a new team. Plus Ebron is already making like 7 m. His pay increase won’t be that much. His will be more of added years.

I'd love to have all three back, just don't see it happening. I don't want to be the team paying the most for TE, and that would likely be the case if all three are back. I agree Doyle wants to stay. If he has a good year however, he's not going to want to take less than he's already making. Ebron is likely to get a raise. They are high on Cox and would likely try and lock him up to 3 with a decent raise. That all translates to spending more on TE than anyone else.

We really  have to see how this year goes.  IT might sound crazy but we have so many mouths to get the ball  to we might cut someone after this year because we have so many. I need to see DF and what he brings to the team. We very well might have to make a decision between DF and EE. Not to mention the draft is loaded at WR next year.  I just think EE and his leadership was invaluable to this team. HE loves his team mates. IF ballard just offered him something fair he might take it. He seems to have found his home. Even if we are paying the most for TE it isn’t going. to effect us signing anyone.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

UNdrafted free agents can get extensions after two years. Just like Moore. Cox has been cut and brought back so many times not sure if that changes anything.

What I said was he could be extended in 2020 , which is next year. Are you saying he could be extended this year ? He's different than K Moore as Moore played in over 6 games in 2017. Thus he has two years that count toward his free agency. Cox just has one as in 2017 he didn't play in 6 games. 

That said , I'm not sure if the rule reads a player can be extended 2 years after he signs an NFL contract or if he must have 2 years of service . If it's the former , I was incorrect when I said 2010. I googled it but could not bring up the rule on this.

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

What I said was he could be extended in 2020 , which is next year. Are you saying he could be extended this year ? He's different than K Moore as Moore played in over 6 games in 2017. Thus he has two years that count toward his free agency. Cox just has one as in 2017 he didn't play in 6 games. 

That said , I'm not sure if the rule reads a player can be extended 2 years after he signs an NFL contract or if he must have 2 years of service . If it's the former , I was incorrect when I said 2010. I googled it but could not bring up the rule on this.

NO. His first year doesn’t count. We was cut and brought back so many times.Cox isn’t the type who would get one early anyway.

Undrafted FA are signed to 3 years and can be extended after two. IF your drafted it is a 4 year contact and can be extended after 3

34 minutes ago, dw49 said:

He gets zero "credit" for 2017 as he didn't appear in 6 regular season games. So as far as him "getting to unrestricted FA " he needs 3 more years.  In 2020 , the Colts make him an offer and he has to sign it. 2021 , he's a restricted FA. That would mean the Colts get a draft pick if someone signs him to a contract larger than our qualifying offer. We do have the right to match that offer. 

I don't think they have to "appear", just be on the roster. Not sure if that's the 53, or if it includes the PS. 

19 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I don't think they have to "appear", just be on the roster. Not sure if that's the 53, or if it includes the PS. 

Yes I misspoke . It's not "appear" but instead "active . And no the PS does not count.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

NO. His first year doesn’t count. We was cut and brought back so many times.Cox isn’t the type who would get one early anyway.

Undrafted FA are signed to 3 years and can be extended after two. IF your drafted it is a 4 year contact and can be extended after 3

You seem to be correcting me and then saying the same thing I said. What does "NO" refer to ? 

44 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Yes I misspoke . It's not "appear" but instead "active . And no the PS does not count.

does his injury settlement have any impact from 2017. it was really strange. he got injured, was waived, then the colts gave him some kind of settlement, then signed him back to the practice squad. so many twists and turns with Mo. i still can't believe he hadn't played FB since HS.

36 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

does his injury settlement have any impact from 2017. it was really strange. he got injured, was waived, then the colts gave him some kind of settlement, then signed him back to the practice squad. so many twists and turns with Mo. i still can't believe he hadn't played FB since HS.

I think it's simply if a player is on the active roster for 6 games in a calendar year , it counts as a year of service . If not it doesn't matter if he was bagging groceries . on IR or on PS.

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

I think it's simply if a player is on the active roster for 6 games in a calendar year , it counts as a year of service . If not it doesn't matter if he was bagging groceries . on IR or on PS.

Pretty sure IR counts from what I googled a bit ago. 

the problem with doyle is he has only had two good years in the league and will be 30.  he needs to have a good season next year to be brought back imo 

if you look at his other seasons including last year, they were not very good at all

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Pretty sure IR counts from what I googled a bit ago. 

I couldn't find anything definitive that explains it clearly. Appears to be  correct  as the rule stipulates "or IR." I'm gong to guess that a player has to be on the opening day 53 man roster for it to qualify as a year of service.  In any event I was incorrect when I said he must be active for 6 games.

19 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

That was my point (bolded) in terms of the original post on TE positional spending. We don't have a good mix. We have our 3 best TEs all with expiring contracts at the same time.

Goal is to have balance as much as possible. We'll always have peaks, but right now we have a lot of extremes on the bell curve.

You want balance, but not in spending. You want good balance in age/experience. You want a good mix of veterans and youngsters, as much as possible, at each positions. It will never happen, there will always be "aging" positions, and positions full of young guys, but that's inevitable. But until the team has an overall good mix of veterans and youngsters, it's fine. The salary cap is for 53 players, not by positions. It doesn't matter how much you pay per position. This year it's TE, next year it might be OL, the next CB, whatever. All that matter is if you have a good mix of veterans and youngsters. If you have, you can fit them under the cap. If not, there are too many veterans overall, then you can't. Or you can, but they're bad/average.

The Colts have a good mix at TE regarding age and talent as well. Doyle is 29, Ebron is 25, Travis is 25 and Cox is 23. That's probably the best mix in the NFL at the moment.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, aaron11 said:

the jaguars are actually pretty good at managing their salary cap.  they have been short on space for a while now, but still they still manage to make moves every year

The Jaguars are actually terrible at managing their salary cap. ;) Allow me to not go into details, because my impression is, that you don't care/study the cap management of teams closely. I do. Actually, I've been studying it for years, and a lot. I'd need to write a loooong post - which I have no time to write - to go through step by step what made the Jaguars one of the 3 worst franchises regarding cap management in the last 2 years. They did a lot of things wrong.

Save my post, and bring it up next year around march. You'll see I was right.

28 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

You want balance, but not in spending. You want good balance in age/experience. You want a good mix of veterans and youngsters, as much as possible, at each positions. It will never happen, there will always be "aging" positions, and positions full of young guys, but that's inevitable. But until the team has an overall good mix of veterans and youngsters, it's fine. The salary cap is for 53 players, not by positions. It doesn't matter how much you pay per position. This year it's TE, next year it might be OL, the next CB, whatever. All that matter is if you have a good mix of veterans and youngsters. If you have, you can fit them under the cap. If not, there are too many veterans overall, then you can't. Or you can, but they're bad/average.

The Colts have a good mix at TE regarding age and talent as well. Doyle is 29, Ebron is 25, Travis is 25 and Cox is 23. That's probably the best mix in the NFL at the moment.

Cox will be 26 in Sept. Ebron just turned 26 so they are close to the same age.  Your post about where the money in spent is accurate though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dw49 said:

I couldn't find anything definitive that explains it clearly. Appears to be  correct  as the rule stipulates "or IR." I'm gong to guess that a player has to be on the opening day 53 man roster for it to qualify as a year of service.  In any event I was incorrect when I said he must be active for 6 games.

You were correct with your 6 games statement. ;) Only, that 6 games can be gained by being on active roster (which is not game day roster!) or on IR.

(Might worth to add, that players on IR don't count against the 53, but they are under "normal" NFL contract. They can rehab in the team facilities, they can take part in meetings, etc. Please also note, that waiving a player with injury settlement and putting someone on IR are two different move. The latter is the "real" IR. It keeps the player under contract, and be part of the team. The former is practically a cut, with some financial implications. E.g., the team is willing to pay money for the player, if he won't be claimed by another team.)

Regarding Cox, 2017 didn't count as accrued season for him, because he spent most of the year on PS, which does not count. (He wasn't on IR neither. I mean, "under contract" IR, because players can be waived with IR settlement as well, which does not count as accrued season.) Cox will be an ERFA in 2020, and an RFA in 2021.

I didn't read many of the posts here but I'm just going to say good for Kenny. There weren't many of us on here last offseason praising Kenny for his play as a rookie, but he stepped up and proved he belongs in the nfl. Congratulations Kenny, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing you play this season and years to come.

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

I didn't read many of the posts here but I'm just going to say good for Kenny. There weren't many of us on here last offseason praising Kenny for his play as a rookie, but he stepped up and proved he belongs in the nfl. Congratulations Kenny, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing you play this season and years to come.

I think sometimes the player just needs time for the game to slow down. Then once it does and things click watch out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

The Jaguars are actually terrible at managing their salary cap. ;) Allow me to not go into details, because my impression is, that you don't care/study the cap management of teams closely. I do. Actually, I've been studying it for years, and a lot. I'd need to write a loooong post - which I have no time to write - to go through step by step what made the Jaguars one of the 3 worst franchises regarding cap management in the last 2 years. They did a lot of things wrong.

Save my post, and bring it up next year around march. You'll see I was right.

thats wrong, no time for details other than they will be tight again next year but still make moves like they always do

18 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I think there were more of us here praising Kenny Moore after his 2017 season than you remember.....

He had a good season that year.  And many of us talked about him then.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, aaron11 said:

thats wrong, no time for details other than they will be tight again next year but still make moves like they always do

Yeah...JAC is just spending all of cap available to them now. Not sure how that makes them poorly-run. From 2014-17, they averaged like $30M+ in cap space each season. It's only the past two years that they have run up against it...because they feel they have a team that can win the Super Bowl. It certainly hasn't stopped them from adding talent. And as some of the FA contracts of the past few years start to fall off...they will have money to retain their core talent (if they want to).

17 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...JAC is just spending all of cap available to them now. Not sure how that makes them poorly-run. From 2014-17, they averaged like $30M+ in cap space each season. It's only the past two years that they have run up against it...because they feel they have a team that can win the Super Bowl. It certainly hasn't stopped them from adding talent. And as some of the FA contracts of the past few years start to fall off...they will have money to retain their core talent (if they want to).

yup. they have a top 5 D. they could make a serious run if they can turn around their bottom 10 offense. with Foles, they could end up being the most improved team in the league this year. i don't think he's an A-list QB, but he's a big upgrade to Bortles. IMO, they are our comp for the AFC South.

14 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

yup. they have a top 5 D. they could make a serious run if they can turn around their bottom 10 offense. with Foles, they could end up being the most improved team in the league this year. i don't think he's an A-list QB, but he's a big upgrade to Bortles. IMO, they are our comp for the AFC South.

Absolutely they are...as long as guys stay healthy and they get some progression from their young playmakers (which literally every team hopes for). The Foles hate by so many Colts fans is funny to me. It's not really a thing here...but on other Colts sites...it's rampant.

Fans will trash Foles, a backup who led his team to a Super Bowl win and has played well the past two seasons, and then say the Colts can't afford to trade Brissett because he can step and win games if Luck gets hurt for a few weeks. Somehow Foles doesn't improve a roster that went to the AFC Championship with Bortles at QB a couple years ago...but Brissett can win games with the Colts. 

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Absolutely they are...as long as guys stay healthy and they get some progression from their young playmakers (which literally every team hopes for). The Foles hate by so many Colts fans is funny to me. It's not really a thing here...but on other Colts sites...it's rampant.

Fans will trash Foles, a backup who led his team to a Super Bowl win and has played well the past two seasons, and then say the Colts can't afford to trade Brissett because he can step and win games if Luck gets hurt for a few weeks. Somehow Foles doesn't improve a roster that went to the AFC Championship with Bortles at QB a couple years ago...but Brissett can win games with the Colts. 

i don't get the Foles hate.....

I think Brissett is a decent QB and deserves a chance, but I'm not afraid of letting him go.

13 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

i don't get the Foles hate.....

I think Brissett is a decent QB and deserves a chance, but I'm not afraid of letting him go.

Agree. It's just the logic that gets me. It's wishful thinking (or homerism) to think that Foles doesn't impvoe a Blake Bortles-led offense.

And had Luck not come back healthy...I would bet there is a pretty decent chance that Foles is a Colt. But I am grateful that he did.

On 6/16/2019 at 3:56 PM, aaron11 said:

Every team make moves. The Colts do as well. You say they - the Jaguars - "always" do moves is because they use to jump on the first day, bidwar, overpaying train year by year. And commit as much mistakes as good moves. (After every Calais Campbell signing there are 2-3 Julius Thomases, Donte Moncriefs and so on.)

On 6/17/2019 at 2:25 PM, shastamasta said:

Ask Ballard why it is a silly move to spend all available cap when you build a new team.

The Jaguars had one fantastic draft and one great FA period (interestingly the same year) 3 years ago, then they had one suprisingly good year. One year, when they didn't even win their division, but could sneak in the AFCCG, and they thought they are suddenly contenders. Colts, 2014 with Grigson. Don't you see some similarities in bad self-judgement there? :)

The Jaguars have been in the early FA market for years, spending big time, signing big names. How many of them you can name now? How many of them are still playing for them ... and worth their price? Bouye and Campbell. That's it. Two. Julius Thomas is long gone, they cut Malik Jackson, released Gipson, Monrief still saying thank you for the 10M for nothing. And Norwell is recovering from a season ending injury. And he has a HUGE contract, which just start to activate, because they backloaded his contract like crazy (5M in year one, 16+ from now on). And I am not sure Norwell will end up being better guard for them than Glowinsky for the Colts in the future. Remember, Norwell was a UDFA and had only one very good year before they signed him to a giga contract.

I could continue, but it doesn't worth it. Arguing about cap management requires long boring posts with lots of data, which probably no one will read. So if your're interested, just look up the Jaguars cap page at spotrac and dig in a bit there. A few examples to start from: for 2020 they are already cca 35M over the cap. The cap will raise by cca 10, so it's rather 25 ish than 35, but it doesn't matter. And then Ngakogue is already holding out for his new contract, Ramsey already talking about his, and then comes Miles Jack (he'll be unrestricted free agent next year), then Westbrook, then Cam Robinson, etc. in 2021. It's NOT TRUE that you can "make it work if you want". Only those people say this, who actually have no clue how cap management work, and see only the surface. They Jaguars will have to either let their OWN guys go or release a number of their highly paid veterans go to make it next year. They still have a good defense, because they have 4-5 excellent, elite defenders. But they already lack depth or have holes (WR, TE, RB, OL, etc.) What will happen if they will have to get rid of Dareus, Campbell, Bouye, and/or cannot extend Ngakogue, Ramsey, Jack, etc.? What happens if then can't retain even half of these guys? You will see, because that will happen next year.

As I said earlier, you can save my post, and we can review if I was right or wrong. If I was wrong, you can laught at me. But you won't, because I'll be right. ;)

(There are very few things in football which I can say I know quite a lot about. Cap management is one of those things. I study it for a long time, putting a lot of time and effort in it.) 

(Note: I'm not bashing the Foles signing. One, I like Foles, I think signing him was actually a good move from the Jags. Two, it was practically a "no brainer", because there was practically no market for Foles this year. Financially it's not a good contract - even within the QB contracts realm -, because considering all costs, Foles cost more for the Jags, than Luck costs for the Colts, but it was a must do move. The problem is, that they overspent themselves so badly, that this deal will have further future negative consequences. E.g. they will have to cut their legs somewhere else. With better cap management, they wouldn't have to.)

12 minutes ago, Peterk2011 said:

Every team make moves. The Colts do as well. You say they - the Jaguars - "always" do moves is because they use to jump on the first day, bidwar, overpaying train year by year. And commit as much mistakes as good moves. (After every Calais Campbell signing there are 2-3 Julius Thomases, Donte Moncriefs and so on.)

Ask Ballard why it is a silly move to spend all available cap when you build a new team.

The Jaguars had one fantastic draft and one great FA period (interestingly the same year) 3 years ago, then they had one suprisingly good year. One year, when they didn't even win their division, but could sneak in the AFCCG, and they thought they are suddenly contenders. Colts, 2014 with Grigson. Don't you see some similarities in bad self-judgement there? :)

The Jaguars have been in the early FA market for years, spending big time, signing big names. How many of them you can name now? How many of them are still playing for them ... and worth their price? Bouye and Campbell. That's it. Two. Julius Thomas is long gone, they cut Malik Jackson, released Gipson, Monrief still saying thank you for the 10M for nothing. And Norwell is recovering from a season ending injury. And he has a HUGE contract, which just start to activate, because they backloaded his contract like crazy (5M in year one, 16+ from now on). And I am not sure Norwell will end up being better guard for them than Glowinsky for the Colts in the future. Remember, Norwell was a UDFA and had only one very good year before they signed him to a giga contract.

I could continue, but it doesn't worth it. Arguing about cap management requires long boring posts with lots of data, which probably no one will read. So if your're interested, just look up the Jaguars cap page at spotrac and dig in a bit there. A few examples to start from: for 2020 they are already cca 35M over the cap. The cap will raise by cca 10, so it's rather 25 ish than 35, but it doesn't matter. And then Ngakogue is already holding out for his new contract, Ramsey already talking about his, and then comes Miles Jack (he'll be unrestricted free agent next year), then Westbrook, then Cam Robinson, etc. in 2021. It's NOT TRUE that you can "make it work if you want". Only those people say this, who actually have no clue how cap management work, and see only the surface. They Jaguars will have to either let their OWN guys go or release a number of their highly paid veterans go to make it next year. They still have a good defense, because they have 4-5 excellent, elite defenders. But they already lack depth or have holes (WR, TE, RB, OL, etc.) What will happen if they will have to get rid of Dareus, Campbell, Bouye, and/or cannot extend Ngakogue, Ramsey, Jack, etc.? What happens if then can't retain even half of these guys? You will see, because that will happen next year.

As I said earlier, you can save my post, and we can review if I was right or wrong. If I was wrong, you can laught at me. But you won't, because I'll be right. ;)

(There are very few things in football which I can say I know quite a lot about. Cap management is one of those things. I study it for a long time, putting a lot of time and effort in it.) 

about the jaguars... yes they have made bad moves, thats not what i was getting at

i was referring to how it hasnt really hurt them or stopped them from making more moves pretty much every year.  cap space can be over rated sometimes, its very much a year to year league and when they needed to make a big move for a QB this year they still got it done.  they will be tight on space during the season, and then clear more space to make another move when they want to 

22 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

about the jaguars... yes they have made bad moves, thats not what i was getting at

i was referring to how it hasnt really hurt them or stopped them from making more moves pretty much every year.  cap space can be over rated sometimes, its very much a year to year league and when they needed to make a big move for a QB this year they still got it done.  they will be tight on space during the season, and then clear more space to make another move when they want to 

Everyone can make moves. The Giants made big moves last year, so what? "Making moves" is not the point. You can always "make room" (make cuts) and sign new players. The question is: does it improve your team overall? Does it add depth, does it fill holes while does not open holes elsewhere? Does it make you - REALLY make you - better overall?

The Jaguars of course will find a way to get under the cap next year. What I was trying to say is, that if you will compare their 2020 roster with their 2019 roster, you will find, that their 2020 roster will be worse. It's practically inevitable because what they've done in the recent 2(-3) offseasons, but especially in 2018. There is no quick way out of it (unless a marvelously great draft, but how likely is that?). It will take 2-3 years to recover from this. That's by definition, bad cap management.

(Actually, if you remove Foles from the equation, this is already true for 2019 vs 2018. The 2019 Jaguars roster is worse than the 2018 roster, except Bortles vs Foles. And I don't give a plus for the Foles deal for them, because it was like picking Luck with the 1/1 in 2012. The Jaguars were at the right place at the right time, there was no market for Foles, Foles practically had no choice to go elsewhere, so it was kinda written in stones. The Jags were a bit lucky, that's all. That won't make their cap management better. Neither their cap situation next year.)