Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kenny Moore now highest paid slot CB

Jdubu

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Very nice! I hope we didn't give him a blank check, and it's around $10 million per year. Nontheless, he deserves what he gets here. Excellent player, and happy to extend him!

I would assume that is about right. Probably 4y/40. Somewhere on that range.

Now we will see if AC gets extended here soon. I think Ebron will have to play the season out.

• Like 1

Kelly will be next and probably the last unless they can do Castonzo at a reasonable price. I know Kelly has a 5th year option and many think no way on this but I think it happens. He's too young and too good not to do this considering the cap room the Colts have.

15 minutes ago, dew5150 said:

I think Chris Harris is highest paid slot from Denver at $12 mil per year. If Kenny is now making more than that, wow. What pay day for him!

This article said Ravens made Tavon Young the highest paid slot CB. The 1 year $12 mil. does not count as it is not completely guaranteed, 1 year contracts will always have higher averages. If Tavon Young got paid 3 years $25 mil. with $13 mil. guaranteed, I am fine with Kenny Moore getting 3 years $27 mil., along the lines of Pierre Desir's 3 year $22.5 mil., that is truly the ballpark I am expecting to be revealed. He did deserve his payday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/03/11/nfl-slot-cornerbacks-are-increasing-value-theyre-waiting-money-catch-up/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.41cc436ad7a8

My worst case concern is Kenny Moore being a 1 year wonder in Eberflus' system, and hopefully that will be put to rest this year. :) 

So happy for Kenny and he's only going to get better!  When we met him recently in Louisville, I challenged him to have more interceptions that Ebron has TD catches this season.  Ebron was the other Colts player at the event.  Kenny smiled and chuckled, then said, "I'll see if I can make that happen!"

MVIMG_20190523_174745.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Great for Kenny but if Ballard plans on giving out max contracts

then there will be salary cap problems in the future. This is 

great for UDFA's watching and will get paid if they make the 

team and perform.

I would imagine the contract is heavily front loaded to use up the salary cap we have this year. It's all how you structure it 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Didn’t see this coming with 2 years of contract control still ahead and only a year of performance behind...but very informative about Ballard’s approach.

It will depend on the actual contract and structure of it to say if it makes sense. I agree it’s a bit odd to see these contracts get restructured with more than 1 year remaining of a teams control. Not saying he doesn’t deserve the bump up in pay for what he showed last year so time will tell whether the right choices are being made. Is CB just trying to get a bit ahead of the next new players/owners nfl contract? Idk 

I’m glad we kept Kenny though and hope his play continues as he did last year. 

• Like 2

Our Corner depth could be second to none with Kenny,Desir,Quincy,Rock, Jalen, Hairston,Tell (Milton better keep adding to his cover skills because special teams alone wont make the final 53 without multuple injuries). Possible one of these guys gets traded for depth elsewhere (Maybe DT).  Nice problem to have.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

These stats are crazy good. If I remember right he was the only guy to actually play well the first half of the KC game.

That wingspan of 78” and arm length is pretty incredible for such a short guy. Maybe that’s why he plays above his size. 

• Like 6

Anyone else think we may end up trading a cb during TC...maybe Hairston?  We seem to have way too many NFL quality cbs back there, and we could probably get a conditional 6th or 7th for him from a team with cb injuries...

1 minute ago, Archer said:

Anyone else think we may end up trading a cb during TC...maybe Hairston?  We seem to have way too many NFL quality cbs back there, and we could probably get a conditional 6th or 7th for him from a team with cb injuries...

Possibly?  It feels strange seeing this quality depth at CB. It has been an Achilles heel so much in the past.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Coltsfan66 said:

Possibly?  It feels strange seeing this quality depth at CB. It has been an Achilles heel so much in the past.

30 minutes ago, Archer said:

I think we have all the potential talent to make some trades for a few conditional picks at both CB and at WR.  Of course we have to get through trading camp and preseason to see what we have against live bullets and what we have not injured. We do have talent in more areas now than in a long time. Hopefully it all gels together for the start of opening day. 

• Like 1

So basically a three-year extension next season. His RFA contract next year would have been a 1st round tender...which would have been ~$5M. So this buys out that AND three years of FA. 

Not especially big on giving NFL players big deals TWO years before they hit FA...but Moore is certainly deserving. Signing now gives him some security and allows the team to potentially level out his cap hits somewhat.

51 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

It will depend on the actual contract and structure of it to say if it makes sense. I agree it’s a bit odd to see these contracts get restructured with more than 1 year remaining of a teams control. Not saying he doesn’t deserve the bump up in pay for what he showed last year so time will tell whether the right choices are being made. Is CB just trying to get a bit ahead of the next new players/owners nfl contract? Idk 

I’m glad we kept Kenny though and hope his play continues as he did last year. 

The impending lockout and CBA is an unknown factor for sure.

I agree...paying a guy after two seasons in the NFL...and with two years of team control left...seems like a different approach. It does give you the ability to put more money upfront in his cheap years to lessen the cap hits of what would have been his FA years...but to do that...you would be trading off the current surplus value of his rookie deal (which is the best part about rookie contracts)...for the chance to have him under control at a good rate in a few years. That seems a bit risky...given the nature of the NFL with injuries, regression, etc.

It will be interesting to see how this is structured. If it's just a 4-year extension starting after this season...that makes sense. But a big pay bump for this upcoming season and next would be a strange precedent...and not one that I would want.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

I agree...paying a guy after two seasons in the NFL...and with two years of team control left...seems like a different approach. It does give you the ability to put more money upfront in his cheap years to lessen the cap hits of what would have been his FA years...but to do that...you would be trading off the current surplus value of his rookie deal (which is the best part about rookie contracts)...for the chance to have him under control at a good rate in a few years. That seems a bit risky...given the nature of the NFL with injuries, regression, etc.

It will be interesting to see how this is structured. If it's just a 4-year extension starting after this season...that makes sense. But a big pay bump for this upcoming season and next would be a strange precedent...and not one that I would want.

Pretty sure I read it rips up everything. The new money starts this season.

20 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Gee, ya think he got a at least $10M now to sign it?