Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett

Lucky Colts Fan

Are Colts fans overvaluing or undervaluing Jacoby Brissett?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Are Colts fans overvaluing or undervaluing Jacoby Brissett?

• Overvaluing
    • Undervaluing

Are we, as Colts fans, overvaluing or undervaluing Jacoby Brissett?

It probably depends on how you look at our backup QB.  If you are looking at him compared to other backup QBs around the league, you are probably undervaluing him.  I could make the argument that he is the most valuable backup in the NFL.  And I think Ballard agrees.

However, if you're looking at Jacoby as trade-bait, you might be overvaluing him.  A team trading for Jacoby would want him to be their starter.  Granted, this article is written by David Carr for NFL.com, so take it with a grain of salt, but he has at least 10 other QBs ranked ahead of Brissett for other teams to consider drafting, signing as a FA, or trading for.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018216/article/ten-quarterbacks-worth-pursuing-via-tradefree-agencynfl-draft

I expected to see Brissett on that list.  When I didn't, I wondered if I'm overvaluing our backup by viewing him through my blue-colored glasses...

And I think the draft-stock of the QB prospects will only increase leading up to the draft.  I just don't see a team offering Ballard enough to part ways with Jacoby at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Perhaps undervaluing his importance...and yet overvaluing his worth on the open market in a trade situation. 

With Jacoby, I'll bet Ballard sleeps better at night. 

This is spot on. 

Value on the market, we are aiming high. Value to the Colts organization and to CB, way understated on this forum. 

• Like 2

How many games did he keep us in last year?  How many games did he have us in the lead in the 4th quarter?  How bad was our roster last year and coaching?  Imagine having him and our coaching now starting without luck.  I can bet he would win more then 5 games at least. Imagine if he had a decent team,  he would have done a lot better last year.  Our team was trash.  Like trash trash.  How many games did he have us in last year? He definitely is undervauled imo! 

• Like 2

I was watching a show on ESPN the other day where they had some pundits talking about offseason moves..  A couple people projected us trading Jacoby to Miami for WR Devonte Parker.

I think it's very valuable to have a solid back-up QB.  I also appreciate Jacoby's willingness to be a good teammate and presence in the locker room.  However, I don't think we'd be in good position if Luck were to go down for more than a couple games with Jacoby as a starter (but I don't think there's many QBs in the NFL who could adequately fill in for Luck if he was to go down).

He seems to have some trade value.  If I were the GM, I think I'd go ahead and pull the trigger on letting him go for a potential high reward (e.g., Devonte Parker) in a position of need.

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It probably depends on how you look at our backup QB.  If you are looking at him compared to other backup QBs around the league, you are probably undervaluing him.  I could make the argument that he is the most valuable backup in the NFL.  And I think Ballard agrees.

However, if you're looking at Jacoby as trade-bait, you might be overvaluing him.  A team trading for Jacoby would want him to be their starter.  Granted, this article is written by David Carr for NFL.com, so take it with a grain of salt, but he has at least 10 other QBs ranked ahead of Brissett for other teams to consider drafting, signing as a FA, or trading for.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018216/article/ten-quarterbacks-worth-pursuing-via-tradefree-agencynfl-draft

I expected to see Brissett on that list.  When I didn't, I wondered if I'm overvaluing our backup by viewing him through my blue-colored glasses...

And I think the draft-stock of the QB prospects will only increase leading up to the draft.  I just don't see a team offering Ballard enough to part ways with Jacoby at this point.

He’s not  more valuable than Foles 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

This is spot on. 

Value on the market, we are aiming high. Value to the Colts organization and to CB, way understated on this forum. 

I dont.  I would be more than ok with Ballard spending a lil  xtra of that cap money to the xtend him, presuming it isnt outrageous.  He is more valuable to the psyche of this team then people think.  In many ways, i feel he is the perfect back-up QB.

i really hope the league overlooks him and we can keep his m here.  If he does hit the market, i can see NE exploring the option as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I also wouldnt overlook his value on the scout team.. His physical attributes allow him to more closely mimic the growing list of mobile QBS.  I am sure he has had our part in our D's improvement.  Perhaps that is why he always celebrates with them in the endzone.

True,  this is what a lot of people over look too,  Including myself.  Forgot about that! 

2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Odd article.  What are those QBs worth pursuing for?  Starters? Back ups?  I understand why some teams would try to draft a QB, I am less sure why teams would pursue some of those veteran QBs over J.B.  Assuming that they are looking for a starting QB and the costs are similar. 

41 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I dont.  I would be more than ok with Ballard spending a lil  xtra of that cap money to the xtend him, presuming it isnt outrageous.  He is more valuable to the psyche of this team then people think.  In many ways, i feel he is the perfect back-up QB.

i really hope the league overlooks him and we can keep his m here.  If he does hit the market, i can see NE exploring the option as well.

I think there is a zero percent chance he stays past next year. He's been very vocal about wanting to be a starter in this league. I think Ballard is going to try and help him get to the right place while also helping the organization. But it has to be a winning move for the organization first and foremost. Letting him go without a proper plan in place to whom replaces him as a backup, regardless of what we pull in a trade, is something Ballard isn't going to do. But I don't see how an extension will even be on the table. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think there is a zero percent chance he stays past next year. He's been very vocal about wanting to be a starter in this league. I think Ballard is going to try and help him get to the right place while also helping the organization. But it has to be a winning move for the organization first and foremost. Letting him go without a proper plan in place to whom replaces him as a backup, regardless of what we pull in a trade, is something Ballard isn't going to do. But I don't see how an extension will even be on the table. 

Bad choice of words.  I meant i would rather pay him twice what we pay another backup.  Not literally twice, but i'm ok with Ballard spending extra to re-sign  him if he isnt offered any "crazy" contracts.  I agree tho that he most-likely wont be here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WoolMagnet said:

Bad choice of words.  I meant i would rather pay him twice what we pay another backup.  Not literally twice, but i'm ok with Ballard spending extra to re-sign  him if he isnt offered any "crazy" contracts.  

I understand. And agree. He won't be offered a crazy contract, but he will accept something less just for the opportunity to start... 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

I understand. And agree. He won't be offered a crazy contract, but he will accept something less just for the opportunity to start... 

Cant blame the guy for that.

i will miss him, his infectious personality calmed this team, especially Andrew.  A good locker room guy.  His attitude reminds me of Ebron.

21 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Very vocal?

To who?

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Very vocal?

To who?

Mike Chappell, for starters... just a week ago, when he said "I want to be a starter in this league." 

He's not shied away from making it clear no one in his position wants to be a backup, making comments like the one above on several occasions to local media. 

8 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Mike Chappell, for starters... just a week ago, when he said "I want to be a starter in this league." 

He's not shied away from making it clear no one in his position wants to be a backup, making comments like the one above on several occasions to local media. 

Jan 23rd is when he talked to Chappell.

After hearing Ballard talk in my opinion Brissett is going to be a Colt till his contract runs out.

He is more valuable to the Colts than what he can be dealt for.

I am not silly enough to think he can't be dealt but it would take more than what I have seen offered at this point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Jan 23rd is when he talked to Chappell.

After hearing Ballard talk in my opinion Brissett is going to be a Colt till his contract runs out.

He is more valuable to the Colts than what he can be dealt for.

I am not silly enough to think he can't be dealt but it would take more than what I have seen offered at this point.

I agree on all of that. I was using his comments to Chappell as reason for him not extending here. He is a backup here barring injury and he knows that. He wants to be a starter and knows his window is in the next few seasons, if not now. 

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I agree on all of that. I was using his comments to Chappell as reason for him not extending here. He is a backup here barring injury and he knows that. He wants to be a starter and knows his window is in the next few seasons, if not now. 

Like he said, every back up player want's to be a starter.

Right now Ballard holds the Cards. Till on offer comes in that Ballard can't turn down I think he stays this upcoming season. After that it will be up to him to make the choice.

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Like he said, every back up player want's to be a starter.

Right now Ballard holds the Cards. Till on offer comes in that Ballard can't turn down I think he stays this upcoming season. After that it will be up to him to make the choice.

Agreed. I think he's here through this upcoming season as well, as Ballard isn't going to accept what teams will be willing to give. I just can't imagine him signing any further extension here. 

3 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

How many games did he keep us in last year?  How many games did he have us in the lead in the 4th quarter?  How bad was our roster last year and coaching?  Imagine having him and our coaching now starting without luck.  I can bet he would win more then 5 games at least. Imagine if he had a decent team,  he would have done a lot better last year.  Our team was trash.  Like trash trash.  How many games did he have us in last year? He definitely is undervauled imo! 

Brissett didn't have us in any games last year.... He didn't play.......

• Like 1

I am not sure how to answer the OP's question. To me I think we could get maybe get a late 3rd round pick, early 4th round pick for Brissett. So I am not sure if that is overvaluing and undervaluing him? I would keep him for another season if I was Ballard though because he is a solid backup QB on a cheap contract. He could fill in for a game or 2 and do fine if something did happen where Andrew had to miss 1 or 2 games.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

This is spot on. 

Undervaluing remember he played pretty well for being in a terrible offense on a terrible team in 2017 so I bet in the right offense and the right o-line maybe throw in a better running game he could very well surprise some people.

That's a tough question because it depends what a team needs. We've seen teams give up a lot of capital if they're desperate for a player in many sports.

I will confidently say he's as good or better then several QBs that have been given starts in this league. Strictly on talent I'd take him over guys like Tannehill, Eli (today's Eli), the Denver QB last year, Jameis, Dalton just off the top of my head.

34 minutes ago, IinD said:

That's a tough question because it depends what a team needs. We've seen teams give up a lot of capital if they're desperate for a player in many sports.

I will confidently say he's as good or better then several QBs that have been given starts in this league. Strictly on talent I'd take him over guys like Tannehill, Eli (today's Eli), the Denver QB last year, Jameis, Dalton just off the top of my head.

I've never understood teams giving up so much capital to pick a quarterback that usually isn't a sure thing. I'd rather bring someone like Brissett in that has the measurables and some experience in a couple good organizations and build the roster up with what I saved. Too many teams have dug themselves in a pit they can never get out of and still couldn't put a decent qb out on the field. 

• Like 2

I think Jacoby Brissett's value is a second round pick. 

Dolphins hypothetical trade for Jacoby Brissett

#26 is worth 700 points.
#13 is worth 1150 points.
The difference is 450 points which is equivalent to a mid-second-round pick (45th overall). 

He has starting NFL experience and he has shown potential throughout his young career. 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I've never understood teams giving up so much capital to pick a quarterback that usually isn't a sure thing. I'd rather bring someone like Brissett in that has the measurables and some experience in a couple good organizations and build the roster up with what I saved. Too many teams have dug themselves in a pit they can never get out of and still couldn't put a decent qb out on the field. 

I agree. And if the Dolphins were to swap first round picks with the us, then they'd still have a first round pick. 

Two options:

1. Brissett to Redskins. With the uncertainty of Alex Smith they get a cheap one year look to see if Brissett is a long term solution.

2. Brissett to Eagles. Assuming they trade Foles they will can get a cheap one year insurance policy on Carson Wentz. Brissett being with Reich should be familiar with a lot of what Philly does. Also gives them a chance to see if Wentz can make it through a season. Maybe they like Sudfeld. Who knows.

• Like 1