Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What we need do to beat the chiefs

coltsnation

https://kckingdom.com/2018/12/11/kc-chiefs-ravens-blueprint-how-beat-chiefs/

Interesting read about how the ravens exposed the chiefs weaknesses.

1. Run the ball down their throats

We should be able to do this considering we went for 200 yds against the best run D in league and the chiefs are near the bottom.  This keeps Kermit and the muppets off the field.

2. Put pressure on Kermit 

This will be much harder to do considering we don't have the talent up front of Baltimore so we might need to blitz on crucial situations.  

Something I might add: STOP TRAVIS KELCE !  We've been terrible against TEs all season and he is the best in the biz.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1) Pound the ball left, pound the ball right. Play action when they commit to run

- You may see Wilkins get more carries in this game to share with Mack

- I remember when we played a VERY weak Browns team during the manning years, and the kept Manning on the sideline by running play after play. They ALMOST beat us

2) Mistake free football

- No holding

- No INTs or Fumbles

3) Bend don't break defense.... we have some speed on defense.....  we should play better in the redzone.....  Trade FGs with our Touchdowns

4) Drain the clock, every snap...... even in first half

The Chiefs are favored for a reason

But they are beatable

• Like 3

I like the way Frank Reich put it( paraphrased) “ We knew we could win with a QB that could throw for 400 yards. But the margin for error in the playoffs is so small, it’s really difficult to do that. But when you can run the ball and stop the run as well, that’s what you want.”

Running the ball keeps Mahommes on the sideline. I like our chances in this one, if we play a clean game.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I like the way Frank Reich put it( paraphrased) “ We knew we could win with a QB that could throw for 400 yards. But the margin for error in the playoffs is so small, it’s really difficult to do that. But when you can run the ball and stop the run as well, that’s what you want.”

Running the ball keeps Mahommes on the sideline. I like our chances in this one, if we play a clean game.

Will need way more than 21 in this game they have been averaging more than 30 a game most of the season.

• Like 1

Its going to be a really interesting game.  Our #1 ranked defence since 1-5 start vs an electric offence.

The one thing we have going for us in this regard is that we don't give up big plays.  Hooker maybe doesn't have the INT stats, but his presence seems to be a major deterrent to deep throws and the corner's deserve a lot of credit also.  That being said, its a different animal when against Mahomes, Hill, etc.

Another point I wanted to make is how penalty-free we were against the Texans (2 for 10 yards).  It makes such a difference, especially if we find ourselves in a tight game.  Those short yards for/against can be huge.

I am confident we will give them a good game, but my fear is we fall just short.  If we do get through though, I will be much more confident that we can get a result against whoever awaits us! :strong:

• Like 2

Sounds eerily reminiscent of the CW roadmap on how to beat the Manning-era Colts.  Ball control, avoid the shootout, keep their primary weapon on the sidelines, but pester him relentlessly when he’s not.

And teams that could pull this off often either beat us or at least put themselves in position to.

I wish I had more confidence in our pass-rush.  

The pass rush will get there. KC is going to have to throw the ball a lot. They won't be able to run the ball on us so there's limits on what they will be able to do with that. I'm borderline confident we will be able to make enough plays to pull this game off and get the win. We will score enough points. I think Mahomes will toss a couple picks to us just having over confidence in his arm alone. It will definitely be a challenge to stop him but I think again we will make enough plays on both sides of the ball to win the game. We are good in too many areas collectively as a team. We can get it done.

• Like 2

Run the ball, keep their offense off the field. Eat up the clock so KC has to become one dimensional and throw a lot. Send the blitzes! 

Run play action and burn them over the top.

If Colts stay in Cover 2, they can't leave Kelce open on crossing routes. Don't let him get behind the LB's around that 15 yard area.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I were the Chiefs Id put Hill in the backfield as an RB at least 10 times and dump it off to him over and over and over. We cannot defend the RB passing attack and Hill is arguably the best player in the league with the ball in his hand. Id be certain that happens 15 times.

I love Leonard but he got juked out of his cleats a few times by Watson and Miller when they had the ball in space - Hill would do worse.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

It honestly doesn’t matter how well we run the ball if Mahomes answers each drive with a score of his own. 

Which, in case anyone was unsure, is something he and that offense are capable of doing.

This one comes down to how well we can play defense. 

I believe the key is trading touchdowns for their FGs

When they are in the red zone, we HAVE to force a FG

Our defense is fast..... their running game is less without Hunt.

We HAVE to win the red zone

My take is that the Colts aren't BAL..and shouldn't try to emulate them. BAL is a run-first team with a dynamic run-first QB. The Colts have Andrew Luck.

I fear that if the Colts go to Arrowhead and try to run the ball 40 times...they will have a very hard time winning.

Reich is absolutely right about margin for error...which is why the Colts will need to put up TDs on their drives. And according to DVOA and EXP, their pass game is the best way to do that this season (though not sure what the past half dozen weeks looks like).

As much as I am sure the Colts want to avoid a shootout...they will be prepared for it.

On the defensive side, Kelce is obviously a challenge. But the short passing game is arguably my biggest concern. Teams have been picking the Colts apart this way (just look at Coutee and Miller last week)...and KC has Hil, Kelce and Williams to focus on. Going to be difficult to get KC off the field.

15 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

KC leads the league in RZ TDs and are 2nd in RZ %. Going to be a battle.

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Very true. And that will be no small feat. They are really good in the red zone. 

52 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

My take is that the Colts aren't BAL..and shouldn't try to emulate them. BAL is a run-first team with a dynamic run-first QB. The Colts have Andrew Luck.

I fear that if the Colts go to Arrowhead and try to run the ball 40 times...they will have a very hard time winning.

Reich is absolutely right about margin for error...which is why the Colts will need to put up TDs on their drives. And according to DVOA and EXP, their pass game is the best way to do that this season (though not sure what the past half dozen weeks looks like).

As much as I am sure the Colts want to avoid a shootout...they will be prepared for it.

On the defensive side, Kelce is obviously a challenge. But the short passing game is arguably my biggest concern. Teams have been picking the Colts apart this way (just look at Coutee and Miller last week)...and KC has Hil, Kelce and Williams to focus on. Going to be difficult to get KC off the field.

I don’t think we are going to try and be Bal. We just can’t become a one trick pony and only pass. We must run to set up the pass and to keep pressure off of Luck.  KC has better weopons. If we get into a shootout with them and don’t use some clock they will hands down beat us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

If I were the Chiefs Id put Hill in the backfield as an RB at least 10 times and dump it off to him over and over and over. We cannot defend the RB passing attack and Hill is arguably the best player in the league with the ball in his hand. Id be certain that happens 15 times.

I love Leonard but he got juked out of his cleats a few times by Watson and Miller when they had the ball in space - Hill would do worse.

What Watson and Miller did to him were the exception, and not the rule. If you think anyone is going to juke Leonard out of his cleats with any kind of regularity you are in for a rude awakening. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

The Chiefs have good pass rushers. Keeping the away from 12 will be key. Jones and Ford will bring it.

Kelce worries me more than Hill. Kelce extends drives and is a very tough matchup in the redzone

Didn't the Texans have elite pass rushers?

• Like 2

I think the game will come down to how well they can contain Kelce. I’ve felt he is their X player and our position of kryptonite. If we can’t figure out a scheme to solve the special TE possessions, we lose the game. I feel we can scheme for the speedy T.Hill as we have with so many other speedy wr’s all year but we’ve had problems with mediocre TE’s in the middle let alone the elite ones.

This is game will be very stressful for both fan bases because regardless of what’s said, both sides are really concerned with the other team.  

3 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Will need way more than 21 in this game they have been averaging more than 30 a game most of the season.

We play alot of zone, but Matt mixes it up so much so blitz drop at the snap, sending a CB and drop a LB to cover, i am curious to see how many different players have a pick or came really close. Our LBs and secondary have good hands and just keep getting better. I truly beleive between having a balanced Offense and schemed Def we have a great chance of knocking out the #1 seed

Do what teams have done to Peyton led Colts (i.e. teams with exclusively an offensive identity) - keep the game close or get a lead and keep the pressure on them. Eventually, they will make a mistake or two in a close game.

Take out Kelce as a safety valve underneath first and change how you are rolling your LBs in coverage, and sometimes send delayed blitzes.

• Like 1

First, do not fall behind early.  Colts cannot abandon the run and let the Chiefs do what they do best, pin their ears back and get after the QB.

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

Didn't the Texans have elite pass rushers?

Chiefs were #1 in NFL with 52 sacks.  Texans were tied for 11th at 42.  Colts were tied for 19th at 38.  I'm not looking up pressures and hits.  we need to avoid having to be pass happy one dimensional.

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Do what teams have done to Peyton led Colts (i.e. teams with exclusively an offensive identity) - keep the game close or get a lead and keep the pressure on them. Eventually, they will make a mistake or two in a close game.

Yes, to a degree.  But we also have a QB that can rally from behind and get in shootouts. It's just not that advantageous this round, IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, to a degree.  But we also have a QB that can rally from behind and get in shootouts. It's just not that advantageous this round, IMO.

Running the ball and playing D travels well. Even though we got our 21-0 lead with timely passing, it was running the ball well that won us the game vs the Texans.

12 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

First, do not fall behind early.  Colts cannot abandon the run and let the Chiefs do what they do best, pin their ears back and get after the QB.

Chiefs were #1 in NFL with 52 sacks.  Texans were tied for 11th at 42.  Colts were tied for 19th at 38.  I'm not looking up pressures and hits.  we need to avoid having to be pass happy one dimensional.

Good info. I highly doubt we play into the teeth of their defense and 

get all pass happy. Their defense can't stop our run game and our 

O line play. We will break their will by running it down their throats

all game. Watch for Wilkins to get plenty of touches.

We ran for 200 against the Texans, the Chief's run defense is laughable.

We will control the clock and add pressure to their offense to score

on every possession.  My only concern is if the Ref crew calls ticky tack

penalties and take away our physical advantage in this game.

We need 2 halves like the first half we had in Houston.  We had the Texans on their heels that first half.  Not sure what happened the second half, because I know Reich didn't let up.  I think we failed to execute most of the second half, but our defense did their job to limit Houston to 7 points.

We need to score at least 30 points to stay in this one and maybe 40 to win it.

We can do it!!!

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Running the ball and playing D travels well. Even though we got our 21-0 lead with timely passing, it was running the ball well that won us the game vs the Texans.

Agreed, but Texan O is also not near what Chiefs offense is.  We can't fall too far behind because we would then have to be in a track race.  I'd like to be able to run / stay balanced as well.  But at least Luck could go toe to toe with them if necessary.  I just hope it isn't.

2 hours ago, John Waylon said:

What Watson and Miller did to him were the exception, and not the rule. If you think anyone is going to juke Leonard out of his cleats with any kind of regularity you are in for a rude awakening. 

That was an exception for Leonard but it still happened and Hill is MUCH more dynamic than both of those players.

What I like about this team is they play situational football. Based off of time remaining, and the score. If the Colts felt the need to score (obviously always the goal no matter what) vs the need to milk the clock. The colts "only scoring 21" doesn't bother me because they could have easily scored more if the situation called for it. Could have scored 7 more points at the end but didn't because the game was over. If the cheifs score the colts will score depending on the situation at hand.

If we need to score in 40 seconds the colts can and will do that. If it requires long sustaining drives to milk clock the colts will do that. Purely playing what KC will be giving us

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

Chiefs haven't been the same since Hunt got kicked out.  They lost a major act in Andy Reid's circus, and they don't have a replacement.  They are definitely vulnerable.

Vulnerable/one dimensional. Mahomes had better be better than 

advertised because he will have a lot on his plate come Saturday.

Playing zone vs. Mahomes will be dangerous.  Colts need to set up a running game to keep Mahomes off the field against a porous KC run defense. Can Andy Reid solve the Colts defense? You bet he can. Recall so many said the Texans game would be close so the Colts need to come out guns blazing like in Houston but this time don't lie down in the second half.. 

7 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Its going to be a really interesting game.  Our #1 ranked defence since 1-5 start vs an electric offence.

The one thing we have going for us in this regard is that we don't give up big plays.  Hooker maybe doesn't have the INT stats, but his presence seems to be a major deterrent to deep throws and the corner's deserve a lot of credit also.  That being said, its a different animal when against Mahomes, Hill, etc.

Another point I wanted to make is how penalty-free we were against the Texans (2 for 10 yards).  It makes such a difference, especially if we find ourselves in a tight game.  Those short yards for/against can be huge.

I am confident we will give them a good game, but my fear is we fall just short.  If we do get through though, I will be much more confident that we can get a result against whoever awaits us! :strong:

To be honest, I think Hooker shines in this matchup. I think Mahomes will try to test the back-end of this defense for whatever reason (young, fearless, never gives-up, some-what mistake prone, Favre-like; lol almost sounds like an early Luck) and we will make him pay for it. I say Hooker gets a pick from a deep throw that Mahomes tries to get in there even though he is covered with safety help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Playing zone vs. Mahomes will be dangerous.  Colts need to set up a running game to keep Mahomes off the field against a porous KC run defense. Can Andy Reid solve the Colts defense? You bet he can. Recall so many said the Texans game would be close so the Colts need to come out guns blazing like in Houston but this time don't lie down in the second half.. 

Why is playing zone dangerous?  The Chargers play zone,  The Seahawks play zone,  why is playing zone anymore dangerous for us?  They've scored on all kinds of defenses so I don't think it matters much.  Their offense is good at exploiting a bunch of stuff so I think we just need to do what we do and execute it at a higher level.