Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns Sirianni

Case

55 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

TBH, I’m not sure what Sirianni’s role is with us.  Reich is calling the plays, and you can tell he put his stamp on scheme and formations.  They’re so similar to what he did in Philly.  

Good luck to all of the assistants.  

@Superman did touch on this. Having an offensive minded HC that calls plays gives stability for the most important position on the team - the QB, even if OCs pack up and leave for other opportunities. That is why I feel Mike McCarthy will still have plenty of demand. 

57 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

TBH, I’m not sure what Sirianni’s role is with us.  Reich is calling the plays, and you can tell he put his stamp on scheme and formations.  They’re so similar to what he did in Philly.  

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

@Superman did touch on this. Having an offensive minded HC that calls plays gives stability for the most important position on the team - the QB, even if OCs pack up and leave for other opportunities. That is why I feel Mike McCarthy will still have plenty of demand. 

Sirianni is well spoken of, obviously. He has a vital role, even if it doesn't include calling plays on game day.

And look no further than the Eagles, without Reich and DeFilippo. Pederson is the primary play caller, but they clearly missed those two guys.

I've always been kind of against having the head coach be a primary play caller, due to the other responsibilities and game management, but Reich is doing a good job. And the stability at the top is good for a QB driven league.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

My understanding is that the OC typically watches a bunch of film and does some analysis as well as provides in game analysis for the HC.  

There is a lot of behind the scenes work for all of the coaches, especially the coordinators.  It's not just calling plays on Sunday.  

Even if your HC is calling the plays, having a good OC is still important.  

1 hour ago, Detectacon said:

Or start allowing teams to franchise tag a coach. Lol

No way should a good coach have his career held up like that.  

I'm hoping we get both coordinators back given that this was their first go around as coordinators.  That gives us some chance at bringing them back, although it's not unheard of for a team to hire a guy as HC after only 1 year as a coordinator.  

That said if the Colts do this well or better next year, it's almost a certainty that one or both of the coordinators will get offered head coaching gigs.  

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

He's heavily involved in game planning without question. Reich has many responsibilities, and not as much time breaking down film etc. as an OC does.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Keep winning, boys, so that those coaches do not get a chance till the SB :) and by that time, those teams would have moved on!!!

That's a good way to do it, but Reich still got plucked from the Eagles ...  :-D

43 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

I'd rather give them N.S. than Eberflus, tbh...

they probably hire their HC before we are done in the playoffs, imo... we will advance!

I agree with this.  I don't want to really give up any coordinators but we knew this offense has talent with Andrew Luck at the helm.  The question was always the defense and Eberflus has done a lot with very little.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

My understanding is that the OC typically watches a bunch of film and does some analysis as well as provides in game analysis for the HC.  

There is a lot of behind the scenes work for all of the coaches, especially the coordinators.  It's not just calling plays on Sunday.  

Even if your HC is calling the plays, having a good OC is still important.  

No way should a good coach have his career held up like that.  

It was obviously a joke. 

I simply think that neither of our assistant coaches warrant being promoted to HC after just one season as coordinators.  I can see interviews, but I'd have to think these franchises would think they'd be gambling a bit on their thin resumes if they made them the lead of the team.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I simply think that neither of our assistant coaches warrant being promoted to HC after just one season as coordinators.  I can see interviews, but I'd have to think these franchises would think they'd be gambling a bit on their thin resumes if they made them the lead of the team.

I tend to agree with this but everyone is looking for the next Sean McVay right now but even he had two years as an OC.  

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I tend to agree with this but everyone is looking for the next Sean McVay right now but even he had two years as an OC.  

I don't know if Sirianni has ever been considered the reason the Eagles or the Colts have been successful.  It was about Pedersen and Reich, IMO, so it just seems Sirianni is going to need more seasoning.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't know if Sirianni has ever been considered the reason the Eagles or the Colts have been successful.  It was about Pedersen and Reich, IMO, so it just seems Sirianni is going to need more seasoning.

Sirianni is a big name in NFL circles.   I don't know if he gets an offer this year,   but he will be a head coach in the near future.    

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sirianni wasn't on the Eagles he came from the chargers as there assistant

39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

DeFilippo was a hotter name than Frank....in the press anyway.  If Josh doesn't pull a McDaniels, frank is still in philly kicking butt and not getting any credit .

• Like 1

Don't expect to lose either this year but Ballard needs his notebook full of prospects for future reference. Flus to me would be the bigger loss as his knowledge and communication skills appear to be over the top but DCs don't appear to be in as high of demand as OCs. I don't think there are a ton of 3-4 young Tampa 2 coaches to replace him. Sirianni is also highly respected. Think we are good this year but next year look out. This year in my opinion less than 1/2 of the current openings are desirable.

3 hours ago, Samu-Rye said:

If he leaves, I would not mind getting Bruce Arians back as OC. Familiar,quality coach that everyone likes and respects.

i would like to see pagano as the dc if matt leaves us chuck could get this defense into the top 5 .  With chucks knowledge of defense i would even let him try oc he knows what works against defenses . people forget how good the ravens defense was under pagano . He brought us the the afc championship with this roster we have now we could be a dynasty with chuck

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

i would like to see pagano as the dc if matt leaves us chuck could get this defense into the top 5 .  With chucks knowledge of defense i would even let him try oc he knows what works against defenses . people forget how good the ravens defense was under pagano . He brought us the the afc championship with this roster we have now we could be a dynasty with chuck

Put down the pipe, i beg you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

IMG_0916.thumb.JPG.401e96bbe524273d80c5dacfe2b26637.JPG

10 hours ago, coming on strong said:

Clearly sarcasm........right?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Superman said:

Technically, if your guy gets interest, you can always offer him a raise. There's no cap on coaches salary.

Biggest competitive advantage in the league is on resources that are not salary capped - training facilities, coaching staff, front office staff, scouting network, medical and training personnel, sports analytics research, etc. 

If a team really wants to have competitive advantage they would spend as much as it takes to have top notch personnel and resources in those areas. 

10 hours ago, BOTT said:

IMG_0916.thumb.JPG.401e96bbe524273d80c5dacfe2b26637.JPG

I think we are getting scammed by Fake Russian Fans in an attempt to separate US  and blowup this board. Just too many Clueless fans with crazy ideas.
 It gets spelled out to them and they still repeat the same stup** s***.
 In the Meantime, how bout them Colts! 

20 hours ago, chad72 said:

Keep winning, boys, so that those coaches do not get a chance till the SB :) and by that time, those teams would have moved on!!!

Personally, I think that’s the wrong attitude. I know it’s counter-intuitive, but we should actually *want* our assistants to get HC jobs (although I’m skeptical that either Nick or Matt will get one this year).

You want to attract the best up-and-coming assistants?  Demonstrate that you’re a place where they can succeed enough to create those advancement opportunities.

Look at how many former Belichick assistants have gone on to head coaching gigs.  Same with Parcells.  If you’re a great coordinator or position coach and lots of teams want you, wouldn’t you jump at an opportunity to get on the staff of one of those guys?

21 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I read a great article on the Philly SB process.
 Imagine all of the position coaches each week studying the opposition and coming up with their best ideas on how their group should attack them.
 So Sirianni would sit down with them as a group, with Frank as much as his time allows, to come up with the game plan. Then they set up a schedule for Wed, thur, Fri to implement it. While also having Everyone involved continuing to think of ways to improve the plan, with the ability to make last minute adjustments.

Sirianni would be expected to lead this process and be Frank's best sounding board up to and in the game.

• Like 1