Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could The Colts Actually Make the Playoffs?

WarGhost21

On 10/22/2018 at 10:24 AM, Shafty138 said:

It's certainly possible.  probably need to run the table in the division, for sure have to win the division to get in, don't see a wildcard berth.....  that said, our division is in shambles outside of a beatable Texans squad

A win over the Raiders, this (bold above), and find one extra win more than the Texans get in the same stretch.  Then it will still be down to tiebreaker...

AFC South will not field a wildcard, most likely. (IMHO)

On 10/22/2018 at 10:41 AM, MacDee1975 said:

In no way shape or form does Houston's medicore team have any kind of control.  2 games seperate all 4 teams with 9 left to play.  It is, literally, anyone's division to win.

The Texans do control their own destiny.  Even if we beat them next time, we currently are at least 2 games behind in the L column (if we beat Raiders) with 8 left and thus can only get 1 back head to head.  Therefore, we need them to mess up along the way while Colts roll.  No question. They are in the drivers seat, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I watched the game and thought they looked very good.   Dolphins looked pretty good on the offensive side of the ball.   The got burnt a few times on defense, but I think that was mainly because Watson created time for receivers to get open.   

This is Houston's best win this year:  a reeling 4-4 Miami team.  They'll keep feasting on sub .500 teams since their schedule is so weak, like they always do in the seasons where they back into a division title with a 9-7 record.

The Dolphins were missing their starting QB and their top 2 WR....their offense was nowhere near it's capacity.  And their defense sucks.  So once again, Houston gets to play an undermanned opponent, when that opponent is at their lowest point of the season.  Story of their existence.  Denver better watch out:  they got Houston next.  Look for the Broncos to inexplicably lose multiple key players in the next 10 days.  If there's a stat that measures how injured your opponent is each week, Houston would lead the world.  If the Colts had 1/10 the luck that Houston has, they'd be a 10 win team this year.

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

A win over the Raiders, this (bold above), and find one extra win more than the Texans get in the same stretch.  Then it will still be down to tiebreaker...

AFC South will not field a wildcard, most likely. (IMHO)

The Texans do control their own destiny.  Even if we beat them next time, we currently are at least 2 games behind in the L column (if we beat Raiders) with 8 left and thus can only get 1 back head to head.  Therefore, we need them to mess up along the way while Colts roll.  No question. They are in the drivers seat, unfortunately.

Tennessee is the one who controls their own destiny.  They already beat Houston (while missing numerous key players, per usual for a Texan opponent) and are 2-0 in the division.  

43 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

This is Houston's best win this year:  a reeling 4-4 Miami team.  They'll keep feasting on sub .500 teams since their schedule is so weak, like they always do in the seasons where they back into a division title with a 9-7 record.

The Dolphins were missing their starting QB and their top 2 WR....their offense was nowhere near it's capacity.  And their defense sucks.  So once again, Houston gets to play an undermanned opponent, when that opponent is at their lowest point of the season.  Story of their existence.  Denver better watch out:  they got Houston next.  Look for the Broncos to inexplicably lose multiple key players in the next 10 days.  If there's a stat that measures how injured your opponent is each week, Houston would lead the world.  If the Colts had 1/10 the luck that Houston has, they'd be a 10 win team this year.

Houston is solid on both sides of the ball and Watson is playing great.   They have won 5 games in a row and will probably finish 10-6.  

They are in control of the division.

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Houston is solid on both sides of the ball and Watson is playing great.   They have won 5 games in a row and will probably finish 10-6.  

They are in control of the division.

You certainly have a hardon for Houston, don't you.

They aren't in control of the division, until and unless they beat Tennessee.

Tennessee beats Houston, again, and they win the division.  Simple as that.  

So, nobody is in control.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

You really have no clue do you.   Houston is up 2 games on the Titans.   The Titans can beat them "again" and still not even catch them.   Houston and Indy are playing the best ball in the division right now.   Houston's 3 game lead on the Colts puts them in the drivers seat (control) of the division.  

Keep it up with the insults though.   It fits you well.

{mod note; insult deleted}

23 minutes ago, Myles said:

You really have no clue do you.   Houston is up 2 games on the Titans.   The Titans can beat them "again" and still not even catch them.   Houston and Indy are playing the best ball in the division right now.   Houston's 3 game lead on the Colts puts them in the drivers seat (control) of the division.  

Keep it up with the insults though.   It fits you well.

No, they aren't.  They are up 1.5 games, because Tennessee hasn't played yet this week.  If Tennessee loses, then talk about Houston "having control".  If Tenn wins, they are 1 game back, with a win already over Houston this year.  Do these facts escape you and do you understand what this even means?  Houston will not win the division if they tie with Tenn, and Tenn beats them head to head.

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

Didn't Tennessee only beat Houston at home, in Nashville, by just 3 after taking a 14 - 0 lead in the first quarter?  And Houston has improved and TN seems to be limping along under Vrabel.  I don't think Titans will beat the Texans in NRG stadium.

Before the season, i felt Texans would finish 2nd in a strong AFC South. Now I think they finish 1st in a weak (once more) AFC South. I think they could go 5 - 3 in second half and force to Colts to not only beat them, but go 8-1 (and get the tiebreaker) or run the table beginning Sunday. Colts are not in a very good spot, but there is a chance.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

No, they aren't.  They are up 1.5 games, because Tennessee hasn't played yet this week.  If Tennessee loses, then talk about Houston "having control".  If Tenn wins, they are 1 game back, with a win already over Houston this year.  Do these facts escape you and do you understand what this even means?  Houston will not win the division if they tie with Tenn, and Tenn beats them head to head.

Titans next 3 games have them playing at the Cowboys and Colts and hosting the Pats.    Are you banking on them winning those games.   They may win 1 of those 3.    

I don't know if the Texans will win the division, but they are leading it, have a 5 game win streak and are playing the best ball.    That pretty much defines "in the drivers seat".  

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

Titans next 3 games have them playing at the Cowboys and Colts and hosting the Pats.    Are you banking on them winning those games.   They may win 1 of those 3.    

I don't know if the Texans will win the division, but they are leading it, have a 5 game win streak and are playing the best ball.    That pretty much defines "in the drivers seat".  

If Watson heats up again like last year and their defense keeps at this pace then Houston will won the division. But Fuller is hurt 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, runthepost said:

If Watson heats up again like last year and their defense keeps at this pace then Houston will won the division. But Fuller is hurt 

That was my thoughts.  Watson does seem to be past his ACL recovery issues (like Luck is past his shoulder) and heating up.  Key defense players are playing well, and Fuller is always out during the year at some point (disappointing for him).

4 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Tennessee is the one who controls their own destiny.  They already beat Houston (while missing numerous key players, per usual for a Texan opponent) and are 2-0 in the division.  

Unfortunately for Titan fans, Vrabel contols their teams destiny. Which I predict is missing the playoffs.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 9:22 AM, Mr.Debonair said:

It’s not out of realm of possibility given our division and schedule. Health is major 

Ultimately, the Colts success will be contingent up on how they do in their remaining 5 division games (Jags - 2, Titans - 2, Texans - 1).  Sweep those games, Colts win the division.  Win 4 out of 5, including that one remaining game against the Texans, still a good chance the Colts win the division.  Go 3-2, Colts likely miss the playoffs.  Go 2-3 or worse, Colts absolutely miss the playoffs.  I view this as being the bottom line on the Colts playoff aspirations.  Regardless though, including this week's upcoming game against the Raiders, the Colts have 4 remaining non divisional games, so they would need to likely win at least 3 out of 4 of those games, too.

Possible, yes, but unlikely, I suspect.  One game at a time, gotta take care of a desperate Raiders team in their own house ... not as easy as some people are figuring, I suspect.

On 10/22/2018 at 10:17 AM, WarGhost21 said:

It seems that us, the fans, are our harshest critics, as I have seen many posts saying we look really good this season for a 2-5 team. For example:

Lots of positive notes, especially seeing as we aren't seen as definitive underdogs in any of our remaining games. Could this team continue its dominance this past week and push for 10 wins and a playoff berth?

:colts:

There have been good signs however the team as a whole is just not there yet next year is gonna be big . Mack & Mitchell & Luck & the offensive line looked good & that is great we still need to get dominate on defense to have much of a chance each & every week we need to see growth for me that would make for an interesting finish to a otherwise disappointing season, 

2 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

There have been good signs however the team as a whole is just not there yet next year is gonna be big . Mack & Mitchell & Luck & the offensive line looked good & that is great we still need to get dominate on defense to have much of a chance each & every week we need to see growth for me that would make for an interesting finish to a otherwise disappointing season, 

Colts go 11-5 or 10-6 and upset mahomes and brady in route to super bowl win over rams

On 10/24/2018 at 2:54 AM, braveheartcolt said:

So every game is absolutely winnable, but we only win 2 or 3 of them? A strange and somewhat contradictory analysis. And if you fear Amari Cooper, then.........

We will miss out this year, but I can see 6/7 more wins if we get lucky with injuries.

On paper every game is absolutely winnable, and no team we will face have a great record right now. 

But this is the NFL and it's hard winning games.

And with our drops and lack of playmakers, besides Leonard, Luck and Hilton, its very hard for me to see us winning more than 2-3 games.

We still cant finish games, and those two we did win, well the Bills had no QB and never got it going, but after that loss, they are now 4-2 and looks like a much better team than when we meet them.

I still dont think we will win against the raiders, but off course i hope we win.

Us winning against the Bills is just not enough for me to say that we are back, because they might be the worst team in the league. 

3 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

On paper every game is absolutely winnable, and no team we will face have a great record right now. 

But this is the NFL and it's hard winning games.

And with our drops and lack of playmakers, besides Leonard, Luck and Hilton, its very hard for me to see us winning more than 2-3 games.

We still cant finish games, and those two we did win, well the Bills had no QB and never got it going, but after that loss, they are now 4-2 and looks like a much better team than when we meet them.

I still dont think we will win against the raiders, but off course i hope we win.

Us winning against the Bills is just not enough for me to say that we are back, because they might be the worst team in the league. 

I understand your caution. I am not coming to any conclusions based on beating the hapless Bills. We have been close in every game, and we are getting better. So 2-3 wins from here on in looks mean to me. Time will tell.

On 10/22/2018 at 10:32 AM, MacDee1975 said:

Why not?  The division is spectacularly mediocre once again.  9-7 and an asskicking at the hands of KC or NE is the ultimate fate of the 2018 AFC South victor.

NE is not the team it once was.  We were dessimated by injuries and took them to the wire at Gillett Stadium.  The Great One is getting old.  I wish we were going there after the buy instead of when we did.

22 hours ago, Stephen said:

Colts go 11-5 or 10-6 and upset mahomes and brady in route to super bowl win over rams

rotflmaoThat would be awesome however at this point we have not won 2 in a row & to beat these 2 teams this year would take a miracle I love my team but they are not be able to reach your lofty unrealistic goal .

• Like 1

I disagree on the wild card not being in the picture. Right now the only team that appears in a good spot for a wild card is the Chargers. 

Ravens and Bengals are the only 4-3 teams.

Ravens still play Panthers, Steelers, Chiefs, Chargers. 

Bengals still have Saints, Chargers, Steelers.

They do also play each other again. 

Four loss teams - Dolphins, Jets, Jaguars, Titans, Broncos, Browns. 

Looks to me like 9-7 gets you in, pending tiebreaker. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 4:06 PM, braveheartcolt said:

I understand your caution. I am not coming to any conclusions based on beating the hapless Bills. We have been close in every game, and we are getting better. So 2-3 wins from here on in looks mean to me. Time will tell.

Looks like we are going to loose to the 1-5 raiders :(

41 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The next two are kind of must-wins if we want to keep pace. The Texans are hitting their stride and we can’t lose any ground to them. 

Texans could lose to Denver and Washington. Interesting times ahead. 

• Like 1

We are at the halfway point and look at all the close division races with two games separating 1st from last.  There are only a few super teams the rest are all average and mediocre.  Could we make the playoffs?  Sure we could.  Especially if Ballard can add a starter at a position of need before Tuesday's deadline.  Other teams are in the same boat.  When you have a good QB like Luck your chances are even better.  It actually looks good for us right now.  We have the bye week to get healthier and a chance to make the team better at the deadline.  And we have Luck to take us there.  Decisions, decisions.  

34 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We are at the halfway point and look at all the close division races with two games separating 1st from last.  There are only a few super teams the rest are all average and mediocre.  Could we make the playoffs?  Sure we could.  Especially if Ballard can add a starter at a position of need before Tuesday's deadline.  Other teams are in the same boat.  When you have a good QB like Luck your chances are even better.  It actually looks good for us right now.  We have the bye week to get healthier and a chance to make the team better at the deadline.  And we have Luck to take us there.  Decisions, decisions.  

Unfortunately,  what we need isnt readily available......

Pass rush?   Who is really available?

From rest of defense maybe:

Collins (NY) ?  - NY is DONE...... maybe a 3rd would pry him away

Conley (Oak) ? - What would we give?

I dont see ANY movements from the Colts.... (could be wrong)

I think we get a bit better on defense when Hooker comes back

I also think that once TY gets 100%, this offense could get cooking

We just better hope that we never punt, when we play the better teams

On 10/22/2018 at 10:17 AM, WarGhost21 said:

It seems that us, the fans, are our harshest critics, as I have seen many posts saying we look really good this season for a 2-5 team. For example:

Lots of positive notes, especially seeing as we aren't seen as definitive underdogs in any of our remaining games. Could this team continue its dominance this past week and push for 10 wins and a playoff berth?

:colts:

Of course they could...we'll see.

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Isn't this played out?