Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zak Keefer's take on the game was overall good.

Lawrence Owen

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/08/20/colts-andrew-luck-sloppy-preseason-loss-ravens/1046312002/

He basically say's not to expect much from Luck or Ebron in the preseason.  Reich is supposedly 'hiding' Ebron, And keeping the play calling uber vanilla with Luck. Not wanting to show anything to 'would-be' opponents.

He does mention the Colts needing A.C. and Good back on a healthy line though.

Apparently also has a lot of good things to say about our defense, with Simon, Ridgeway, Geathers, Leonard, and even Wilson.

It is  a good write-up and worthy of a few minutes of reading IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Not if our recievers cant get open idk what game he was watching but for the most part our offense was terrible people talk about how bad lucks INT in the redzone was last night look at walkers INT it was horrendous. Also no not impressed with this new offense so far defense I thought held their own all night long you can win a lot of games allowing just 20 points all night long. But what does worry me is that 2 games in and our 1st string offense has yet to produce a touchdown.

14 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Not if our recievers cant get open idk what game he was watching but for the most part our offense was terrible people talk about how bad lucks INT in the redzone was last night look at walkers INT it was horrendous. Also no not impressed with this new offense so far defense I thought held their own all night long you can win a lot of games allowing just 20 points all night long. But what does worry me is that 2 games in and our 1st string offense has yet to produce a touchdown.

For all the preseason I have watched in the 15 years, it bares very little resemblencce to the regular seasons. Getting excited or vexed is a waste of time. From a fans perspective I mean....as I'm sure the coaches do get things from it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

...As for the starting tackles, it was ugly. If the Colts are starting Le’Raven Clark and Braden Smith on the outside in Week 1 against Cincinnati,

Andrew Luck might be headed for another surgery...

Sorry to say but I have to agree with Keefer on this comment.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I can only hope the "uber vanilla" play calling is being done on purpose by Reich...

...and not a taste of what we can expect this season?

It's no accident...

"The preseason games mean nothing, so we show nothing in preseason,’’ Reich told season ticket holders at a February town hall. “We show nothing in preseason. We don’t want to give anybody any competitive advantage."

https://fox59.com/2018/04/11/colts-open-nothing-preseason-at-seattle/

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's no accident...

"The preseason games mean nothing, so we show nothing in preseason,’’ Reich told season ticket holders at a February town hall. “We show nothing in preseason. We don’t want to give anybody any competitive advantage."

https://fox59.com/2018/04/11/colts-open-nothing-preseason-at-seattle/

If this is indeed the case...  As for Reich's coaching...

Week 1 vs Cincinnati, should be a very interesting game, especially from the play calling aspect.

• Like 1

Ravens are a very stout front to run against, you have to pass against them. Against an aggressive D like theirs, most good OCs know you will be running a lot of screens (WR and RB one), plus rub routes and crossing routes too.

You saw blitzes being picked up by the OL and even RBs, a very good positive, WRs not separating, a negative, but re-inforcement of the fact that some obvious plays against an aggressive D were not called thus leading us to confirm our suspicions of them not wanting to reveal too much of their play calling, IMO.

• Like 1

wait so we're not supposed to show our entire playbook in the second game of the preseason?! :sarcasm:

on a serious note, the one guy that really stood out to me was Leonard. He was all over the place, even got in the back field a few times. We have a monster in the making imo

• Like 2

If I recall, some of our best teams in the past had horrible pre-season records.  The pre-season is an opportunity to evaluate players in preparation for the roster cutdown to 53.  Gives rookies a chance to get some game experience and the others to get into shape for the regular season.

The main thing is to go into the regular season with your 53 best players all in good health.

Don't forget that this year we have an entirely new coaching staff that are learning about the players, the players are learning about the coaches, there's a whole new playbook and scheme on offense, as well as defense this year.

Think of it as going to college...4 years (4 pre-season games) to learn your craft and then go out and DO YOUR JOB.

If we have all these "issues" after 4 regular season games, then we can start worrying about things a little bit.

Right now, I just want us healthy to start the regular season and let Luck knock off the rust and be ready to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

I can only hope the "uber vanilla" play calling is being done on purpose by Reich...

In the article, Reich himself explicitly states that they are purposefully being vanilla, so as to not squander the advantage of being a new staff that does not have tons of tape displaying tendencies, formations, etc.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

In the article, Reich himself explicitly states that they are purposefully being vanilla, so as to not squander the advantage of being a new staff that does not have tons of tape displaying tendencies, formations, etc.

Hope that helps.

I understand. But I'm just not sold on the excuse of, the reason we have stunk, is because of vanilla play calling.

58 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

For all the preseason I have watched in the 15 years, it bares very little resemblencce to the regular seasons. Getting excited or vexed is a waste of time. From a fans perspective I mean....as I'm sure the coaches do get things from it.

From what I saw this team still has a lot of work to do.

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

Why? he's had a great camp so far and seems to love it in Indy. I think he is going to have a surprisingly great season.

I don't. I see him as the tight end equivalent of what we had in Donnie Avery and DHB. He's going to have some nice plays, but be largely ineffective and drop key passes, like his entire stint in Detroit. I'd love to be proved wrong however. Also, a great camp doesn't always translate into a great season. 

20 minutes ago, Calmack said:

I don't. I see him as the tight end equivalent of what we had in Donnie Avery and DHB. He's going to have some nice plays, but be largely ineffective and drop key passes, like his entire stint in Detroit. I'd love to be proved wrong however. Also, a great camp doesn't always translate into a great season. 

I dont think he was effectively utilized in Detroit, with the stuyle of offense we have moved towards and Reich's love for TE's and a multiple TE system i think he'll show up and show out this season. 

27 minutes ago, Calmack said:

He can't be much worse than Dewayne Allen...

31 minutes ago, Calmack said:

I thought Ebron looked very slow last night. On his first catch, if he breaks one tackle, he has a big gain. Eric went down quite easily after the catch. I'm glad he made the catches, but in the NFL, you have to be able to break tackles

6 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

I dont think he was effectively utilized in Detroit, with the stuyle of offense we have moved towards and Reich's love for TE's and a multiple TE system i think he'll show up and show out this season. 

I'm being open-minded about Ebron's time in Detroit. The front office there ultimately put a ton of unnecessary pressure on him, as he had no business being drafted 10th overall. Gronk wasn't even drafted in the first round, so in order for him to be viewed as anything other than a bust, he would've had to be the best tight end of all-time. They put him in a position to fail, plain & simple.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Well as @compuls1v3 pointed out in another thread.  The Colts did not run to the left the entire 1st half.

So, the Colts have a mauler at LG whom they spent a 6th round draft pick on and they do not run behind him the entire game?  I would say it's being done on purpose.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Well as @compuls1v3 pointed out in another thread.  The Colts did not run to the left the entire 1st half.

So, the Colts have a mauler at LG whom they spent a 6th round draft pick on and they do not run behind him the entire game?  I would say it's being done on purpose.

Oh I agree they are not showing much. But I have to admit I am concerned a bit, as to how much improvement in the play calling dept. Reich will bring once it counts.

4 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Oh I agree they are not showing much. But I have to admit I am concerned a bit, as to how much improvement in the play calling dept. Reich will bring once it counts.

It's a legit concern, just not a concern based on what you're seeing in the preseason games.  And not because of Reich.  It may be Reich philosophy but it's Sirianni is the OC and it will be his offense to succeed or fail.  He is the one that will be coming up with the offensive game plan, making in game adjustments, deciding what play to call on 3rd and 1 that will either extend the drive or cause a punt.

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I understand. But I'm just not sold on the excuse of, the reason we have stunk, is because of vanilla play calling.

I actually thought the play-calling in the Seattle game was pretty good.  Nothing exotic, but it was a clear departure from the last regime.  With Hilton, Turbin, and Mack all involved, the offense was able to get into a rhythm that game, even without AC.

Last night, the offense was hindered by a lack of healthy RBs, the continued absence of AC at LT, and no T.Y. Hilton.  Luck was a bit off, too.  I'm more concerned about the lack of depth at a few critical positions: tackle, RB, and WR.  The play-calling is going to continue to be vanilla as the only goal of the preseason is to evaluate the roster.

48 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It's a legit concern, just not a concern based on what you're seeing in the preseason games.  And not because of Reich.  It may be Reich philosophy but it's Sirianni is the OC and it will be his offense to succeed or fail.  He is the one that will be coming up with the offensive game plan, making in game adjustments, deciding what play to call on 3rd and 1 that will either extend the drive or cause a punt.

Reich has stated he's calling the plays and I'm still excited to see what he brings, starting with the Bengals week one. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

I thought Ebron looked very slow last night. On his first catch, if he breaks one tackle, he has a big gain. Eric went down quite easily after the catch. I'm glad he made the catches, but in the NFL, you have to be able to break tackles

I would agree with that assessment. That was always a knock against Fleener when he was here as well in that he had trouble breaking tackles. I'm hopeful that he will ramp it up in the regular season and be put in better positions with actual planned playcalling/scheme.

9 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

@Braveheartcolt: Leave it to my favorite Scottish brethren on the forum to use the term vexed. A word that doesn't get enough mileage these days. A tremendous word BTW meaning to annoy, trouble; infuriate, perplex, or confuse others about a minor, trivial, or insignificant matter.

Good to hear from you BHC. Precisely, preseason is like musicians warming up or doing a sound check before a packed concert venue. Hardly, the main event everyone bought a ticket for. Well said. :thmup:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Rather he just go down and not risk injury being a rambo in the preseason 

• Like 1

On a side not.  There have been A LOT of tweet's from reporters, and articles written, That are just flat out wrong.   

In Luck's Presser, he has talked about going back to the sideline after the Sugg's sack and talking with A.C. 

Many of the reports say Suggs gave Luck the 'Death Stare'.  This I believe is completely wrong.

Because Luck was talking to A.C.  And he told A.C. he was happy to gotten sacked by Sugg's and he gave him a 'Death Stare'.  

I am 99% sure it was not Sugg's whom did this.  In luck's recollection, Pretty sure he meant A.C. gave him the 'Death Stare' in response to Luck being happy about being sacked.

Maybe i am in the wrong business, but I feel reporting should be accurate.

• Like 1