Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quincy Wilson = Bust

Pacergeek

1 minute ago, Lucky1 said:

Nothing to see here, please move on. 

Pacergeek is the king of hot takes, we both post in the pacerdigest forum.

He's the king over there too 

Whom are you on PD? Calling me king of hot takes, is giving me way too much credit lol. I just enjoy taking things to the extreme. 

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am glad you survived the shark feeding frenzy.........  

But......  who wants to save a thread to get one over on another Colts fan.....  That sets the wrong tone.... dont you see?    

My kids used to say nananana... booboo, when they caught one another being wrong

This is the same sort of thing

Quincy will make it or not.........  NO ONE KNOWS.......  I hope he does.....

If I am wrong..... thats ok....... I will live........ my self worth is not built on others opinions of my opinions

Just sayin.........

Deano

And......  in case you didnt catch before..... We still need some qualtiy depth at CB, S, and LB.........

I am not that guy at all. If anything, I prefer to be proven incorrect. Just my sense of humor

3 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I am glad you survived the shark feeding frenzy.........  

But......  who wants to save a thread to get one over on another Colts fan.....  That sets the wrong tone.... dont you see?    

My kids used to say nananana... booboo, when they caught one another being wrong

This is the same sort of thing

Quincy will make it or not.........  NO ONE KNOWS.......  I hope he does.....

If I am wrong..... thats ok....... I will live........ my self worth is not built on others opinions of my opinions

Just sayin.........

Deano

And......  in case you didnt catch before..... We still need some qualtiy depth at CB, S, and LB.........

Oh yeah, I'm fine. Usually I can make people see why I take the opposite stance the times I do, that wasn't one of them. You move on. I was just giving him some advice to gain some credibility if he going to give extreme stances. They will be unpopular, but if you are right, you can tell them later. If not, man up and admit you're wrong. That's humility. That'll gain you credibility on this forum, especially when you make a thread such as this that will be wildly unpopular among the majority.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Quincy could not sniff the field last season, and it seems like people are giving him the benefit of the doubt. Blaming Pagano and the coaching staff for inept player development. I am not buying this argument. We've seen that coaching staff play guys that should not have been playing before, but had high expectations and hype. Guys like Trent Richardson and TJ Green for example. Quincy must haven been truly awful to not sniff the field under Pagano. Wilson could not beat out NFL journeymen for playing time. In 2018, an NFL 2nd round pick should be starting Day 1. Heading into his second season, Quincy should be the team's top CB, or at least a solid #2. If this year's training camp is any indication, Quincy has not improved, and does not look ready to start and contribute. It's taboo to rip Ballard, but he should be getting some heat for botching this draft pick. Ballard has ignored FA, and has gone all in on his drafting skills. When you go this direction, you cannot whiff on 2nd round picks. 

Golly, lets see what he does this year.

However, there are some concerns.  He didn't see the field much last year. 

At the time early on, a knee issue was to blam, although I don't believe he was ever on the injury report.

Later in the year, the staff said he lacked maturity, which tells me he didn't use his personal time to study his craft or keep his body in the condition it needs to be.  He was spending his time doing something else.

Despite being a healthy scratch most of the year, when there was a public comment about the Colts losing VD and Melvin, and not having a #1 CB, Quincy tweeted something to the effect that he was the #1 and the pundits were ignorant, as was his HC.

Definitely some concerns about how things went down his first year, but let's see what happens.  Too early to say anything.

And this objective opinion is coming from a guy, me, who thought it was the best pick in that draft for Ballard.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

I am not that guy at all. If anything, I prefer to be proven incorrect. Just my sense of humor

Not really at you, but WE need Quincy to be that guy......  Im not ready to give up.... but I dod think we are too thin...

6 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

I hope I am wrong. I would never root against a Colts player because of my opinion on a silly message board. TJ Green just finished his second season, and nobody is being patient with him at all. Yes, Green sucked, but he still played. I would argue that Wilson not playing, is evidence that he sucks more than Green. Nobody really knows why Wilson didn't play, and it's convenient to blame Pagano, not Wilson. I believe that Q did not play because he cannot play. Don't get all the shade thrown my way either.

TJ Green had legit issues. 1.) He was very raw for the NFL and his position, and 2.) He was a Grigson pick. Green played poorly, which is part of the reason people are down on him (among other things). Wilson hasn't played poorly yet. He's more of an unknown (which makes people optimistic rather than pessimistic). If Wilson plays poorly this year, more people will agree with you. Right now, he hasn't played bad yet because he hasn't played, and he's a Ballard pick who still has his credibility as a GM, so no one is going to take your side as of now. Doesn't mean you are wrong, but nothing factual supports your argument as of now, you just have the belief that he's a bust without the performance to back it up.

• Like 1

TJ Green, whom actually did get to play, is viewed as a bust. Q Wilson, whom did not get to play, is viewed as the better player. Someone please explain this to me. The guy that played is worse than the guy that did not play? I have played sports before, and the dudes that sucked, like myself, did not get to play. I hope I'm wrong, but TJ Green is clearly better than Quincy Wilson right now. 

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

I am old enough to know a bust when I see one. If it looks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, you have a duck. 

So headed in to last season, you knew Oladipo was a surefire bust as well I take it?  Just like Myles Turner was a mistake and needs cut.....  Corners take a while to develop in the NFL, outside a few players who are solid starters very early on in their careers.

Quincy could not sniff the field last season, and it seems like people are giving him the benefit of the doubt. Blaming Pagano and the coaching staff for inept player development. I am not buying this argument. We've seen that coaching staff play guys that should not have been playing before, but had high expectations and hype. Guys like Trent Richardson and TJ Green for example. Quincy must haven been truly awful to not sniff the field under Pagano. Wilson could not beat out NFL journeymen for playing time. In 2018, an NFL 2nd round pick should be starting Day 1. Heading into his second season, Quincy should be the team's top CB, or at least a solid #2. If this year's training camp is any indication, Quincy has not improved, and does not look ready to start and contribute. It's taboo to rip Ballard, but he should be getting some heat for botching this draft pick. Ballard has ignored FA, and has gone all in on his drafting skills. When you go this direction, you cannot whiff on 2nd round picks. 

If you are basing this over the depth chart then youre way off

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

You sound dumb on this one....wilson didn't see the field much last seasons because chuck felt it was more important to learn special teams than playing corner which was silly to me

There were several reasons given.  He had a knee issue, despite not being on the injury report, then he lacked maturity in his preparation, and then he needed to learn ST first.

You know, all of these smell like B S to me. 

I think Pagano was being a professional by providing some sort of football reason for the scratch, when it probably has something to do with Wilson's personal life that's at the root of it. 

For example, if a young kid constantly shows up to work hungover, an experienced HC is going to try a combination of working with him and disciplining him as a way to get his head straight.  And the HC is doing the right thing by not going to embarrassing him in the media.

I don't know any of this.  But the dots connect in way that tells me the issue wasn't strictly a football issue.  Maybe it was.

• Like 1

TJ Green, whom actually did get to play, is viewed as a bust. Q Wilson, whom did not get to play, is viewed as the better player. Someone please explain this to me. The guy that played is worse than the guy that did not play? I have played sports before, and the dudes that sucked, like myself, did not get to play. I hope I'm wrong, but TJ Green is clearly better than Quincy Wilson right now. 

It might have something to do with you know... HOW they were playing when they were given the chance to play? Maybe. I don't know. That's just a wild guess... 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

I dont think TJ Green is a bust yet, either

To me, you have to give guys time to learn how to play in the secondary. Certainly, more than 2 years.  You see route runners and QB talent you just don't see in college.

• Like 1

I am old enough to know a bust when I see one. If it looks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck, you have a duck. 

2 hours ago, krunk said:

Pacergeek how much have you even seen Wilson play to be making statements like this? What you're doing is very easy.

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

:troll:

• Like 1

Question for the group:  Was Wilson drafted to be a press-man or a cover 2 corner?  

At the time he was drafted, I thought it was an excellent pick because I read where he had great man cover skills who should go in late round 1, which is what we were playing under Pagano (and thought we would continue)  But those are things that aren't usually the case with a Tampa 2 CB.

Are the skills needs to play both types similar, and was Wilson an odd fit for last years D or will he be an odd fit for our D this year and going forward?

24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There were several reasons given.  He had a knee issue, despite not being on the injury report, then he lacked maturity in his preparation, and then he needed to learn ST first.

I think Pagano was being a professional by providing some sort of football reason for the scratch, when it probably has something to do with Wilson's personal life that's at the root of it. 

For example, if a young kid constantly shows up to work hungover, an experienced HC is going to try a combination of working with him and disciplining him as a way to get his head straight.  And the HC is doing the right thing by not going to embarrassing him in the media.

I don't know any of this.  But the dots connect in way that tells me the issue wasn't strictly a football issue.  Maybe it was.

I could buy this if Chuck was known to be a tough disciplinarian, which he wasn't. Chuck knew he was on the hot seat, and played the guys he thought he could win with. I look at facts, and not rumors. You could very well be correct, but I will not make excuses for Q being benched in favor of our 6th round player

43 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

:facepalm:

I could buy this if Chuck was known to be a tough disciplinarian, which he wasn't. Chuck knew he was on the hot seat, and played the guys he thought he could win with. I look at facts, and not rumors. You could very well be correct, but I will not make excuses for Q being benched in favor of our 6th round player

haha:facepalm:

12 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

What I meant was that Wilson wasn't good enough last year, that lower "talented" players did give Chuck the best chance to win,which is why they were played ahead of Wilson. 

But I think the reason he wasn't good enough last year had to do with something other than talent.  It was on a more personal level.    Something was holding him back last year, other than talent, and I think Chuck was providing him cover for that issue by coming up with football related issues while at the same time not disparaging his talent.

A bust is when a player doesn't have the skills to play at the level drafted, but it takes a while for the FO to admit that and the player hangs around on the roster anyway.  I don't see that with Wilson at this point.

He might be a bust.  Basham might be a bust, but it's too early to say.  

If you are predicting it, that's fine.  You might be right.

If you are proclaiming it... at this moment... it's way too early.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

Whom are you on PD? Calling me king of hot takes, is giving me way too much credit lol. I just enjoy taking things to the extreme. 

PaulGeorgeHill (yeah I need to change it to something more recent) I've also seen you post in another forum, maybe realgm or reddit. I normally enjoy the hot takes personally. Sometimes you say things others are afraid to say. 

• Like 1

I have observed this pattern over and over. I hope this helps clarify. Here are two seemingly similar statements to some, but are actually vastly different...

"After watching Quincy Wilson and comparing his abilities and contributions to the team thus far with his peers, I think the guy will end up being a bust"

....or....

"Quincy Wilson = bust"

One statement implies an opinion that invites agreeing or dissenting opinions. The other declares a definitive label, above discussion, and invites criticism because it is without factual basis at this time. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

You sound dumb on this one....wilson didn't see the field much last seasons because chuck felt it was more important to learn special teams than playing corner which was silly to me

Besides health issues, there a lot of truth there.  However, Vontae Davis and Rashaan Melvin had the outside CB's starting positions, and Hairston the starting slot.  A non starting CB has to be able to play ST's, if healthy.  It seemed Wilson had a hard time doing either (play ST or stay healthy).  Thus Christopher Milton, Pierre Desir and Kenny Moore got to dress as part of the active 46 while Wilson was often a 'healthy' scratch.  So Milton, Desir and Moore must have been much better ST players.  Now the kickoff rules have changed, there are even less BIGs participating on kickoffs, meaning more ST particiaption from second string and at times even starters (we'll see).

Wilson had a year to get healthy and grow up. (issues beyond just playing ST's, IMHO) Let's see how he responds this time around.

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Besides health issues, there a lot of truth there.  However, Vontae Davis and Rashaan Melvin had the outside CB's starting positions, and Hairston the starting slot.  A non starting CB has to be able to play ST's, if healthy.  It seemed Wilson had a hard time doing either (play ST or stay healthy).  Thus Christopher Milton, Pierre Desir and Kenny Moore got to dress as part of the active 46 while Wilson was often a 'healthy' scratch.  So Milton, Desir and Moore must have been much better ST players.  Now the kickoff rules have changed, there are even less BIGs participating on kickoffs, meaning more ST particiaption from second string and at times even starters (we'll see).

Wilson had a year to get healthy and grow up.  Let's see how he responds this time around.

This much is true but again....wilson didn't get a real chance until after Melvin got hurt....vontae stayed hurt we needed the help but chuck was stubborn and when Wilson did hit the field he made an impact he just need time which he has now

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Nobody else complained about wilson being "immature" besides chuck and ted and who knows what they meant by that. No one else said anything bad about wilson not even the teammates so again it was their opinion and they handled the situation wrong

13 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

This much is true but again....wilson didn't get a real chance until after Melvin got hurt....vontae stayed hurt we needed the help but chuck was stubborn and when Wilson did hit the field he made an impact he just need time which he has now

Yes, this appears true.  But it isn't all, and the team coyly alluded to it without saying it - that  maybe Wilson wasn't acting like a pro and needed to 'earn his starting shot' (grow up and be a team player).  He has this lesson under his belt, so we'll see how he responds.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Nobody else complained about wilson being "immature" besides chuck and ted and who knows what they meant by that. No one else said anything bad about wilson not even the teammates so again it was their opinion and they handled the situation wrong

I'm just speculating as to why Wilson didn't earn a spot on the field, as to why he didn't show enough.  Of course the coach is going to play whomever he thinks is going to give him the best chance of winning.  He's not going to sit a player if he thinks that player will play better than who he's playing.

Are you saying that you know that playing Wilson would have given Chuck the best chance of winning, but that Chuck failed to see what you did?

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Possibly along the lines of this-

Some snippets I have read about attitudes - youth and even college sports-

'Forget about playing for the love of the game or to support teammates', Auriemma said; 'too many players are focused on themselves'. (Auriemma being UConn's famed ladies team basketball coach)

Auriemma also said - "They're allowed to get away with just whatever, and they're always thinking about themselves," he said. "Me, me, me, me, me. 'I didn't score, so why should I be happy?' 'I'm not getting enough minutes; why should I be happy?' That's the world we live in today, unfortunately. Kids check the scoreboard sometimes because they're going to get yelled at by their parents if they don't score enough points. Don't get me started."

The consensus?

' **There is too much of a 'me' culture in youth sports, too much involvement by parents, too many coaches concerned only with winning and too little focus on just playing the game.** '

These are the types of athletes mindsets, even those that reach the Pro's. Wilson was a Star at U of Florida.  Stars there don't cover kicks/punts.  He was asked to learn and do it for the Colts, and the fallout was not good.

Let's ask Princeton Tiger, I'll bet he's "seen it"

I'm sure coaches would rather work with the good player(s) that listens, works hard at improving, and is a team player than the 'entitled' star that skates on talent and just 'want's his'.

I've heard ex players say in interviews some of their old Head Coaches in their locker room have said  'It's not about the Best 53, it's about the Right 53 for this roster'.  You know they want the best talent, so that says that there may be cases/times where your talent won't be enough; if you're not being a "Pro" concerning the job.  The whole job.

49 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

'Forget about playing for the love of the game or to support teammates', Auriemma said; 'too many players are focused on themselves'. (Auriemma being UConn's famed ladies team basketball coach)

Auriemma also said - "They're allowed to get away with just whatever, and they're always thinking about themselves," he said. "Me, me, me, me, me. 'I didn't score, so why should I be happy?' 'I'm not getting enough minutes; why should I be happy?' That's the world we live in today, unfortunately. Kids check the scoreboard sometimes because they're going to get yelled at by their parents if they don't score enough points. Don't get me started."

The consensus?

' **There is too much of a 'me' culture in youth sports, too much involvement by parents, too many coaches concerned only with winning and too little focus on just playing the game.** '

These are the types of athletes mindsets, even those that reach the Pro's. Wilson was a Star at U of Florida.  Stars there don't cover kicks/punts.  He was asked to learn and do it for the Colts, and the fallout was not good.

I'm sure coaches would rather work with the good player(s) that listens, works hard at improving, and is a team player than the 'entitled' star that skates on talent and just 'want's his'.

I've heard ex players say in interviews some of their old Head Coaches in their locker room have said  'It's not about the Best 53, it's about the Right 53 for this roster'.  You know they want the best talent, so that says that there may be cases/times where your talent won't be enough; if you're not being a "Pro" concerning the job.  The whole job.

I have seen “meism” a lot and IME it has ruined many promising careers

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The consensus?

I also assume that the meism has to do with using the visibility the sport to promote your own self interest. 

The obvious example here would be that Wilson did not want to risk injury doing something that he's not getting paid elite money to do.  He wants the luxury of only playing CB, which feeds into the elite contract.  Playing ST doesn't do that, so why risk injury.

Another example of it would be, say, a rookie FS who has done nothing in the league starting his own brand of sports wear.

46 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

The consensus?

His twitter activity would substantiate a lot of what you are saying

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pacergeek said: