Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quincy Wilson = Bust

Pacergeek

26 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

sir, he is beginning his second season in the NFL. Reggie Wayne wasn't very good his first couple years. let's get the guy the benefit of the doubt until after this season

Sir, I don't believe I've ever enjoyed reading a post in my head as much as this one.  There's just something about reading a sentence that starts with "Sir," or "Madam,"...

I thank you, sir.

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I do have one, my Wife and daughter use it much more than I do though.  I recently received a French Press coffee maker as a gift and I like the results I get with it.

Very nice. I have always enjoyed French Pressed coffee, so you have sparked a new must-have kitchen item for me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Quincy couldn't see the field on the NFL's 31st ranked defense. Let that sink in 

Yes, he could.

His ability had nothing to do with why he didn’t play more.   Wilson was young and immature.

The coaches were we’re trying to teach him how to be a pro in the NFL. 

Pagano said this.   Last years DC said this.   Ballard said this.   And even Wilson admitted to it this off-season.

I appreciate the opinions are fun, but it would help if you tried to read a little about the team you say you like.....

On 8/5/2018 at 9:17 AM, Pacergeek said:

Quincy could not sniff the field last season, and it seems like people are giving him the benefit of the doubt. Blaming Pagano and the coaching staff for inept player development. I am not buying this argument. We've seen that coaching staff play guys that should not have been playing before, but had high expectations and hype. Guys like Trent Richardson and TJ Green for example. Quincy must haven been truly awful to not sniff the field under Pagano. Wilson could not beat out NFL journeymen for playing time. In 2018, an NFL 2nd round pick should be starting Day 1. Heading into his second season, Quincy should be the team's top CB, or at least a solid #2. If this year's training camp is any indication, Quincy has not improved, and does not look ready to start and contribute. It's taboo to rip Ballard, but he should be getting some heat for botching this draft pick. Ballard has ignored FA, and has gone all in on his drafting skills. When you go this direction, you cannot whiff on 2nd round picks. 

I dont mind holding CB accountable for both the good and bad. And tbh, Wilson hasnt impressed me as much as Hooker, or even CB Nate Hairston (1 sack resulted in a safety).

3 hours ago, aaron11 said:

what i dont get, is why is there a race to be the first to call a player a bust?

then they hope the guy fails so they can say i told you so, you heard it here first, when they should be rooting for young guys to succeed 

Because, it's annoying to have to keep reading up on Wilson updates. He was badly outplayed by Hairston. Why isn't Hairston getting any hype when he is the better player. I don't care which round players get drafted. A bust is a bust

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, he could.

His ability had nothing to do with why he didn’t play more.   Wilson was young and immature.

The coaches were we’re trying to teach him how to be a pro in the NFL. 

Pagano said this.   Last years DC said this.   Ballard said this.   And even Wilson admitted to it this off-season.

I appreciate the opinions are fun, but it would help if you tried to read a little about the team you say you like.....

When did Pagano ever say this? I could be wrong, but I don't remember Chuck addressing Wilson's maturity level in any press conference

4 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

When did Pagano ever say this? I could be wrong, but I don't remember Chuck addressing Wilson's maturity level in any press conference

The DC definitely said it, I don't think Pagano publicly said but if the DC says it, im pretty sure the HC agreed.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/05/01/colts-quincy-wilson-comes-clean-rocky-rookie-season/568987002/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pacergeek said:

Because, it's annoying to have to keep reading up on Wilson updates. He was badly outplayed by Hairston. Why isn't Hairston getting any hype when he is the better player. I don't care which round players get drafted. A bust is a bust

Normally you hit and run with your posts and pretty much never come back to defend whatever completely illogical point it is you are trying to make.  In this thread at least you've returned so props on that.  But the OP and virtually every one since is mindless nonsense.

Calling Wilson a bust today is just silly.  Because Hairston outplayed him last year does not come close to providing the necessary evidence to support your claim.  It also does not mean that he is the better player right now.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Normally you hit and run with your posts and pretty much never come back to defend whatever completely illogical point it is you are trying to make.  In this thread at least you've returned so props on that.  But the OP and virtually every one since is mindless nonsense.

Calling Wilson a bust today is just silly.  Because Hairston outplayed him last year does not come close to providing the necessary evidence to support your claim.  It also does not mean that he is the better player right now.  

I mean you could argue somewhat you're comparing two different types of players. One was drafted to be a man cover guy to play the outside, the other plays the nickel. 

Besides it kinda fits with the OP's point that Wilson is getting so much interest, if he was just a business as usual having a good camp then no big deal, but after last season and the lack of moves for CBs of course there is interest. 

44 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

someone beat me to it, but hairston is a nickel back

nickelback is easier to learn than outside corner, they get more help there and play against less physically gifted receivers

i dont think anyone has been blown away by wilsons skills yet, we are just being more patient with a prospect who was said to be pretty raw on draft day.  

• Like 1

nickelback is easier to learn than outside corner, they get more help there and play against less physically gifted receivers

i dont think anyone has been blown away by wilsons skills yet, we are just being more patient with a prospect who was said to be pretty raw on draft day.  

No last year Quincy was consider a first round talent. This defense suits him more so like you I’m giving him time. The secondary should look better with Hooker coming back

Nicely put

No Nickle is not easier to learn. An outside corner has the sideline to work with. The nickle isn’t afforded that luxury. They have TE,RB, and slot WR’s to guard. It’s actually the hardest position to learn in the defensive back field. 

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

No Nickle is not easier to learn. An outside corner has the sideline to work with. The nickle isn’t afforded that luxury. They have TE,RB, and slot WR’s to guard. It’s actually the hardest position to learn in the defensive back field. 

If that was this why do many DCs put their weakest DB there

Based on the D S/LB are the toughest 

I want to be thrilled, furious, congratulatory, sympathetic, defiant, a contrarian and one of those guys that dress up like gumby and hold a gold and silver  for sale sign at the side of the road, but I just can't wrap my head around which opinion I should agree with in this thread.....so I will just wait until I can see some Colts on the field of play and let the eye ball test start building a boom or bust opinion.

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Talking from experience as a coach and having a D coach as a Dad

Well I’m going to take the words from Pete Carroll and players over yours any day of week. No wonder you don’t brag about your coaching on this forum.

4 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Chuck said this approx the middle of the season.    There was a long thread discussion here because Wilson not playing was a red hit topic.

Then a few weeks later,  the DC was asked about Wilson and he pretty much echoed Pagano.   And there was another long discussion

Then, early in the off-season Ballard backed up the story, but soft peddled it a bit because he is trying to bring Wilson along and not bring up the previous year.   Again, there was another long conversation about it.

Finally, during the OTA’s and mini-camps, Wilson gave an interview and he confirmed it too.   Said he was young and he didn’t get what it took to be a pro.   Said the staff was trying to teach him.   He hoped he would be much better this year.   And there was yet another discussion about it.   That’s FOUR thread discussions as the four key principle people involved all confirmed the same story.

Wilson needs to grow up and learn how to be a pro.   And so what did the kid do?   Showed up st camp and was almost invisible the first few practices. Then, the light seemed to go on and he seems much better.   I’ve read that here and on other Colts sites.

I take him being on the second string as the coaches telling him he still has a ways to go to be the player he needs to be...

So he’s doing better...   but not yet good enough...

6 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That is fine 

In a man D Corners have one job cover their player

LB/S have to read the plays 

Don’t matter for your outside corners if they’re play man or zone. They have less of the field to worry about because they have the sidelines to work with. That wasn’t the only article I found to backup my claims. Also if your a “coach” you better teach your players versatility. The game isn’t the same. Defense backs have to move all over. 

44 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Don’t matter for your outside corners if they’re play man or zone. They have less of the field to worry about because they have the sidelines to work with. That wasn’t the only article I found to backup my claims. Also if your a “coach” you better teach your players versatility. The game isn’t the same. Defense backs have to move all over. 

Yes but Nickel and Dime Corners have a least 1 S/LB/DE as “help”

I call it as I see it based my life around football as a player, spotter, scout, coach, game planner etc. plus the knowledge of my father who was a College football coach

versatility is a hot commodity in practice and earning a spot but not on game day

You can do what you want but I think it's still a little early to call someone a bust when they are just entering their 2nd training camp.  Reggie Wayne was a "bust" this time in his career too.  I remember people saying we should try to trade him for whatever we could get.  Worked out pretty well in the end.  Let's give it a little more time.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Yes but Nickel and Dime Corners have a least 1 S/LB/DE as “help”

I call it as I see it based my life around football as a player, spotter, scout, coach, game planner etc. plus the knowledge of my father who was a College football coach

versatility is a hot commodity in practice and earning a spot but not on game day

Flat out wrong in every aspect of the game. Are you really saying versatility is something players don’t need during a game? I want to know who your coaching because those players won’t learn anything from you. Your life around had to been during the early 90’s. You made me go off topic and if you feel some type of way I apologize. Your just flat out wrong. 

33 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Flat out wrong in every aspect of the game. Are you really saying versatility is something players don’t need during a game? I want to know who your coaching because those players won’t learn anything from you. Your life around had to been during the early 90’s. You made me go off topic and if you feel some type of way I apologize. Your just flat out wrong. 

You are not talking versatility 

If you have to play a player at multiple positions in one game something has gone wrong or you are using a odd scheme

Most coaches do not like their players to learn more than one position group

Unless the scheme or injuries calls for it DBs stay as DBs, LBs stay as LBs etc.  

Thanks for calling the 100s of kids that I and the other coaches I grew up and looked up to including my father failures

45 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

If you have to play a player at multiple positions in one game something has gone wrong or you are using a odd scheme

Unless the scheme or injuries calls for it DBs stay as DBs, LBs stay as LBs etc.  

Thanks for calling the 100s of kids that I and the other coaches I grew up and looked up to including my father failures

I seen Marlon Jackson in high school play WR, DB, and return kicks. That in fact is versatility. That’s what scouts look for when recruiting. You’re wrong in many aspects. I’m not insulting you at all. I’m telling you that what your coaching is very incorrect. The game of football always involves injuries. So it’s nice to have players that can fill in and play multiple positions. Real NFL coaches praises “versatility”’It has even came out of Frank’s mouth. That alone tells me your full of lies. You don’t coach at all. 

51 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

What do you call a player who plays on Special Teams? They basically play two positions right there. So yeah I know for a fact you don’t know anything or what your talking about.

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

I seen Marlon Jackson in high school play WR, DB, and return kicks. That in fact is versatility. That’s what scouts look for when recruiting. You’re wrong in many aspects. I’m not insulting you at all. I’m telling you that what your coaching is very incorrect. The game of football always involves injuries. So it’s nice to have players that can fill in and play multiple positions. Real NFL coaches praises “versatility”’It has even came out of Frank’s mouth. That alone tells me your full of lies. You don’t coach at all. 

Yeah you are and you are no talking versatility

Versatility is being able to play multiple positions in a group

Don’t try and tell me about versatility( I knew every position on the OL and DL) or that I didn’t coach because until my body and disability said otherwise I did

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Yeah you are and you are no talking versatility

Versatility is being able to play multiple positions in a group

Don’t try and tell me about versatility( I knew every position on the OL and DL) or that I didn’t coach because until my body and disability said otherwise I did

I’m done with you 

8 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

So by your logic, Wayne is a bust because he didn’t play well his first couple of seasons? Damn. I guess if you don’t put up record numbers your first season then you should be out of the league.  

9 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

So by your logic, Wayne is a bust because he didn’t play well his first couple of seasons? Damn. I guess if you don’t put up record numbers your first season then you should be out of the league.  

People really think Wilson will turn out as a HOF player? There is 0.0 percent chance of this happening. Not sure what Reggie Wayne has to do with a busted draft pick, but whatever