Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quincy Wilson = Bust

Pacergeek

Even though we have this extremely young group of players in camp, Wilson remains the 3rd youngest player on a roster of 90 players (21).

Even now, after his first year, he's still younger than all the players in this years draft class except Hines, who will now be the youngest player on the team by 2 months.

The only site I could find that had player ages was this one (http://www.scoresheet.com/FB_current) so far. This one also indicates he's one of the youngest players in the entire league.

He looks like anything but a bust when you recognize just how young he is.

Seeing the big picture may help some get a grip on their absurd assumptions. Get a clue!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Possibly along the lines of this-

Some snippets I have read about attitudes - youth and even college sports-

'Forget about playing for the love of the game or to support teammates', Auriemma said; 'too many players are focused on themselves'. (Auriemma being UConn's famed ladies team basketball coach)

Auriemma also said - "They're allowed to get away with just whatever, and they're always thinking about themselves," he said. "Me, me, me, me, me. 'I didn't score, so why should I be happy?' 'I'm not getting enough minutes; why should I be happy?' That's the world we live in today, unfortunately. Kids check the scoreboard sometimes because they're going to get yelled at by their parents if they don't score enough points. Don't get me started."

The consensus?

' **There is too much of a 'me' culture in youth sports, too much involvement by parents, too many coaches concerned only with winning and too little focus on just playing the game.** '

These are the types of athletes mindsets, even those that reach the Pro's. Wilson was a Star at U of Florida.  Stars there don't cover kicks/punts.  He was asked to learn and do it for the Colts, and the fallout was not good.

Let's ask Princeton Tiger, I'll bet he's "seen it"

I'm sure coaches would rather work with the good player(s) that listens, works hard at improving, and is a team player than the 'entitled' star that skates on talent and just 'want's his'.

I've heard ex players say in interviews some of their old Head Coaches in their locker room have said  'It's not about the Best 53, it's about the Right 53 for this roster'.  You know they want the best talent, so that says that there may be cases/times where your talent won't be enough; if you're not being a "Pro" concerning the job.  The whole job.

Is it wilson fault that they didn't teach him in Florida about the special teams? No they knew what wilson could do and could not do when they drafted him but whenever he's interviewed he seems humbled to me he doesn't seem selfish I understand some of young players maybe selfish but that doesn't apply to all of them

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'm just speculating as to why Wilson didn't earn a spot on the field, as to why he didn't show enough.  Of course the coach is going to play whomever he thinks is going to give him the best chance of winning.  He's not going to sit a player if he thinks that player will play better than who he's playing.

Are you saying that you know that playing Wilson would have given Chuck the best chance of winning, but that Chuck failed to see what you did?

Of course....chuck was doing almost anything to have a chance to keep his job....being more disciplined on the players when he really wasn't before....he handled wilson wrong your team is down 2 corners and you still contemplate whether you want to play wilson or not it was unnecessary

7 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Of course....chuck was doing almost anything to have a chance to keep his job....being more disciplined on the players when he really wasn't before....he handled wilson wrong your team is down 2 corners and you still contemplate whether you want to play wilson or not it was unnecessary

I don't follow.  Are you saying that Chuck thought Wilson was good enough to play but didn't play him to make a point, at the same time your'e saying Chuck was playing the best players available because he wanted to win?

I read last year's situation with Wilson as where Chuck didn't play him because he wasn't prepared, and that there was some ongoing issue with Wilson's personality or personal situation that would always make him unprepared to play.  The stuff he said in the media was to simply not throw the kid under the bus.

I don't think he let the team and his job go down the drain to make a point about the process of being a professional player.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't follow.  Are you saying that Chuck thought Wilson was good enough to play but didn't play him to make a point, at the same time your'e saying Chuck was playing the best players available because he wanted to win?

I read last year's situation with Wilson as where Chuck didn't play him because he wasn't prepared, and that there was some ongoing issue with Wilson's personality or personal situation that would always make him unprepared to play.  The stuff he said in the media was to simply not throw the kid under the bus.

I don't think he let the team and his job go down the drain to make a point about the process of being a professional player.

I think what makes some wonder if Chuck was just proving a point is the fact the when Wilson was on the field last season, he played well. He showed serious flashes at times even. 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think what makes some wonder if Chuck was just proving a point is the fact the when Wilson was on the field last season, he played well. He showed serious flashes at times even. 

I think Melvin secured one outside spot and Hairston the slot.  Desir was having a good year, and I don't know if Pagano was proving a point by not letting Wilson play over others when Desir was hurt.   I sincerely think Pagano saw something he didn't like.  

Did Vontae play STs?  If Wilson was good enough at corner, I'd think he'd get a pass on playing them.

9 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Quincy could not sniff the field last season, and it seems like people are giving him the benefit of the doubt. Blaming Pagano and the coaching staff for inept player development. I am not buying this argument. We've seen that coaching staff play guys that should not have been playing before, but had high expectations and hype. Guys like Trent Richardson and TJ Green for example. Quincy must haven been truly awful to not sniff the field under Pagano. Wilson could not beat out NFL journeymen for playing time. In 2018, an NFL 2nd round pick should be starting Day 1. Heading into his second season, Quincy should be the team's top CB, or at least a solid #2. If this year's training camp is any indication, Quincy has not improved, and does not look ready to start and contribute. It's taboo to rip Ballard, but he should be getting some heat for botching this draft pick. Ballard has ignored FA, and has gone all in on his drafting skills. When you go this direction, you cannot whiff on 2nd round picks. 

Thanks for the comic relief.   This issue has been discussed to death, analyzed to death and beaten to death.

All apparently without your knowledge.

It’s way too soon to pronounce Wilson a bust.    But leave it to you to pronounce it as fact....

Typical...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I yearn for actual football.....these forums get a little crazy this time of year.  Btw, when I was growing up, a "BUST" was someone drafted at the upper end of the 1st round.

Still is to men of reason

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Quincy could not sniff the field last season, and it seems like people are giving him the benefit of the doubt. Blaming Pagano and the coaching staff for inept player development. I am not buying this argument. We've seen that coaching staff play guys that should not have been playing before, but had high expectations and hype. Guys like Trent Richardson and TJ Green for example. Quincy must haven been truly awful to not sniff the field under Pagano. Wilson could not beat out NFL journeymen for playing time. In 2018, an NFL 2nd round pick should be starting Day 1. Heading into his second season, Quincy should be the team's top CB, or at least a solid #2. If this year's training camp is any indication, Quincy has not improved, and does not look ready to start and contribute. It's taboo to rip Ballard, but he should be getting some heat for botching this draft pick. Ballard has ignored FA, and has gone all in on his drafting skills. When you go this direction, you cannot whiff on 2nd round picks. 

Nonesense and what I saw of him at the end of the year he was solid so do I think he is a bust no not as of yet anyway.

26 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Nonesense and what I saw of him at the end of the year he was solid so do I think he is a bust no not as of yet anyway.

I don't mind saying … I agree and I personally thought he played very well for a rookie but needs honing which = time on the field, and does not = bust. 

I think he will be fine particularly considering CB is arguably one of the hardest positions to refine and play consistently well at a high level.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

Colts fans think Ballard is the messiah, and do not hold him accountable for errors. If Grigson had drafted Wilson, my take would be a popular take. Look how quickly fans turned on Phillip Dorsett. It was obvious he was a bust after two seasons, and we shipped him out of here. It's OK to label a player a bust after two seasons, but not one season? Two years is just as premature as one season of sucking. How low have Colts fans standards dropped? The 6th Round CB is better than the 2nd round CB, and we still think the 2nd rounder is good? 

For the record, I called Dorsett a bust on draft day, that was easy.  :) As for Wilson, I think the jury is still out.  There's cause for concern and in the end, you may be right.  I do see cover skills and physicality in the guy, he just lacks ball instincts.  I like him better in zone schemes where he can keep man/ball in front of him v the man cover he was in last year.  If he can't get on the field this year you will have earned an 'I told you so', I do hope he does well.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah he wanted to make an example out of someone so it was wilson for whatever his reason was he was making changes to the roster every week to try his best to save his job but we knew he was getting fired

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think Melvin secured one outside spot and Hairston the slot.  Desir was having a good year, and I don't know if Pagano was proving a point by not letting Wilson play over others when Desir was hurt.   I sincerely think Pagano saw something he didn't like.  

Did Vontae play STs?  If Wilson was good enough at corner, I'd think he'd get a pass on playing them.

I dont necessarily believe he was trying to prove a point over he just didnt think he was the best choice... But I do understand why people felt that way, because of his play. He was obviously brought in as a future top corner, and in a year where our defensive secondary was torched time and time again, we didn't give him a real shot. Obviously something was going on, and there's not been a lot said about it. Ballard's addressed it more than anyone else. 

In regard to Vontae playing special teams, Vontae was damn near a day 1 starter here and earned a big time extension... but with all due respect, Vontae, at times, couldn't finish a game at corner, if he even played at all, with his consistent injuries. 

31 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I dont necessarily believe he was trying to prove a point over he just didnt think he was the best choice... But I do understand why people felt that way, because of his play. He was obviously brought in as a future top corner, and in a year where our defensive secondary was torched time and time again, we didn't give him a real shot. Obviously something was going on, and there's not been a lot said about it. Ballard's addressed it more than anyone else. 

In regard to Vontae playing special teams, Vontae was damn near a day 1 starter here and earned a big time extension... but with all due respect, Vontae, at times, couldn't finish a game at corner, if he even played at all, with his consistent injuries. 

My point about Vontae is that he was too valuable to play ST.  He really was, and I would not like him to get hurt doing so. 

Maybe Wilson thought he was Vontae, and didn't quite take his new assignment to heart.    I could see that if that personality bled into all other assignments, a HC might not trust the player and deem him to never be ready to play.  I think it weighed into Pagano's evaluation of him as a player, not necessarily that Pagano was holding what he thought was a good player on the bench just to make a point.

It sounds like Wilson is doing fine in camp.  Maybe he'll end up being so valuable as a corner he wont have to play STs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Your last paragraph.

That’s exactly what Chuck Pagano did...   to a point.  

Quincy Wilson was the youngest player in the 2017 draft.    At Florida, he got by on his superior raw talent.   As a member of the Colts, Wilson didn’t know how to be a professional.  Not on the field during the week, not on the meeting rooms for positional players.   He was not mature.

You don’t have to take my word for it.   But in this website there are different interviews where Oagano said this...   where the DC said this...    where Ballard said this...  then this off-season, even Quincy Wilson said so.   All four of the major people involved were pretty much in agreement.

With all that went wrong,  it’s highly doubtful that Wilson would have made enough of a difference to Dave Pagano’s job.   But Pags was trying to teach the kid how to be a pro.

Props to Ballard for supporting his head coach.   If at any time Ballard thought Pagano was making a mistake he could’ve ordered Pags to play the kid.   He didn’t.

Hopefully Reich and our new DC will benefit from a more mature approach by Wilson this year.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your last paragraph.

That’s exactly what Chuck Pagano did...   to a point.  

Quincy Wilson was the youngest player in the 2017 draft.    At Florida, he got by on his superior raw talent.   As a member of the Colts, Wilson didn’t know how to be a professional.  Not on the field during the week, not on the meeting rooms for positional players.   He was not mature.

You don’t have to take my word for it.   But in this website there are different interviews where Oagano said this...   where the DC said this...    where Ballard said this...  then this off-season, even Quincy Wilson said so.   All four of the major people involved were pretty much in agreement.

With all that went wrong,  it’s highly doubtful that Wilson would have made enough of a difference to Dave Pagano’s job.   But Pags was trying to teach the kid how to be a pro.

Props to Ballard for supporting his head coach.   If at any time Ballard thought Pagano was making a mistake he could’ve ordered Pags to play the kid.   He didn’t.

Hopefully Reich and our new DC will benefit from a more mature approach by Wilson this year.

Agreed for the most part.  I think there is a feeling among the group that because Wilson showed flashes of good play on the field, he should have played more just for that reason.   I don't think Pagano saw it as holding a better player on the bench just to make a point.  I think he thought the attitude was going to get him burnt for a critical first down or TD more so than the corners who did things the way Pagano wanted.  And he was probably in more of a win now mode than ever and didn't want to spend the time during the season developing him.

I think Ballard took last year as an evaluation year.  Let everybody sink or swim on their own accord because he had the ability to fire or retain whomever he wanted at the end of the season, except Luck.  Ballard said that one of the reasons for firing the coaching staff was the failure to adequately develop young players. ( I took it to mean more than just last year, however) 

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

The same TY Hilton who put a clown suit on Richard Sherman when in 1 on 1 coverage? 

Yeah he only did it once to Sherman he's doing it a lot to Quincy.  You would think he would learn  something about TY's moves after going up against him everyday.  

41 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

pointless-this-thread-has-become.jpg

Become pointless?  This thread was pointless the second the OP hit submit.

This thread would be better if it stopped discussing Wilson and started discussing the merits of small kitchen appliances.

Pagano forcing Quincy to earn it will make him all that much better of a player. I really like the dude’s game and was one of my favorites pre draft, but he’s also young and needed to learn what it means to be a pro. Like others have said, the depth chart is written weird, and Q has been the starter throughout camp. 

32 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah he only did it once to Sherman he's doing it a lot to Quincy.  You would think he would learn  something about TY's moves after going up against him everyday.  

You missed the point.. TY has done it to a lot of corners in this league who were considered in the top echelon. More to the point done it on game film. Unless you’ve been attending every practice you can’t give an honest assessment. 

We could you know just see how he performs in actual games this season before dropping the B label?

15 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Quincy couldn't see the field on the NFL's 31st ranked defense. Let that sink in 

Agreed.  And for that reason, I think he should be cut.  So should Basham, Walker & Stewart.....who also very rarely saw the field last year.

16 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I yearn for actual football.....these forums get a little crazy this time of year.  Btw, when I was growing up, a "BUST" was someone drafted at the upper end of the 1st round.

Bjoern Werner and  Trent Richardson were busts. To put Wilson in the same conversation as those bums is laughable... 

5 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Pagano forcing Quincy to earn it will make him all that much better of a player. I really like the dude’s game and was one of my favorites pre draft, but he’s also young and needed to learn what it means to be a pro. Like others have said, the depth chart is written weird, and Q has been the starter throughout camp. 

That depth chart will change every week throughout preseason. Guaranteed. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

This thread would be better if it stopped discussing Wilson and started discussing the merits of small kitchen appliances.

Exactly.  and this is NOT the first time this OP has started a topic that turns out exactly like this.  This thread and the many others like it are prime examples of trolling.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

Do you have a kitchen aid mixer?

If not... you are missing out. Best all around investment I have made in a long time. If the Colts can get the kind of results from Wilson that I get from my blue KitchenAid Mixer, they will be a playoff team very soon. Without a doubt.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Do you have a kitchen aid mixer?

If not... you are missing out. Best all around investment I have made in a long time. If the Colts can get the kind of results from Wilson that I get from my blue KitchenAid Mixer, they will be a playoff team very soon. Without a doubt.

I do have one, my Wife and daughter use it much more than I do though.  I recently received a French Press coffee maker as a gift and I like the results I get with it.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 8:17 AM, Pacergeek said:

There are some conclusions being jumped to in this post.

So far, I agree Wilson does not seem worthy of a 2nd round pick.  As far as being truly awful, that has been discussed by Wilson, he did not put in the work to prepare and he took responsibility for that.  He didn't blame Pagano, he didn't blame his college coaches, he blamed himself.  From all indications from camp this year that is not the case, he is putting in the work and the time to prepare.

As far as this year's training camp... what indications are there that he has not improved?  He's a man corner learning to play zone coverage.

Lastly, it's comical that you say it's taboo to rip Ballard, it's also funny that you act like a GM si going to hit on every pick.  Gms are going to miss on picks... in every round.  To act like that is "botching" shows a lack of understand of how the real world works.

• Like 1

what i dont get, is why is there a race to be the first to call a player a bust?

then they hope the guy fails so they can say i told you so, you heard it here first, when they should be rooting for young guys to succeed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

what i dont get, is why is there a race to be the first to call a player a bust?

then they hope the guy fails so they can say i told you so, you heard it here first, when they should be rooting for young guys to succeed 

Too many people are not happy unless they have something to be miserable about.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 9:17 AM, Pacergeek said:

sir, he is beginning his second season in the NFL. Reggie Wayne wasn't very good his first couple years. let's get the guy the benefit of the doubt until after this season

• Thanks 1