Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dolphins release Suh

6 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Or the Indianapolis Colts

I don't see us paying him more than $10 mil. a year, which is the most we are paying a DL (Hankins) and he would probably want more than that (most likely to get that much on a 1 year deal, I feel).

Besides that, we are mostly a young team now (Ballard's youth movement started last year as you could see) with few veterans for leadership. Suh would not be the kind of veteran I would want for leadership. He is better served going to a team with enough leaders on the offensive or defensive side (Chancellor, Wagner etc), IMO. That is why I feel he is not a good fit here.

24 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Or the Indianapolis Colts

He was on tap to get 26 million this year...  My guess is that he's going to want north of 15-18 million per year at the lowest. Many of us on here said he was way overpaid when Miami signed him to begin with and he has made it clear in the past that he wants big money. Will he get that big number? I don't know, there's a bunch of teams with 40-80 million in cap space so possibly. But i doubt it will be the Colts.

Also interesting to note: the article said that they havent said if he's a june 1 cut or not, which would increase the savings from 3.9 mil to 17 mil.  HOWEVER, June 1 cut players salaries stay on the books UNTIL june 1, so Miami pretty much has to take the immediate cut vs the post june 1. 

43 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I can see the Cowboys, Falcons or Seahawks making a play for him. Seahawks, especially after trading Bennett and losing Sherman, might need a spark in the interior of that line.

I don't see the seahawks. I think they are more in  a lay down period. I agree about cowboys, falcons. 

22 million dollar dead cap hit and the Dolphins are probably happy to have this large "mistake" signing gone. It seems lately it is much more about the locker room, and teams are more likely to accept the cap hits and release players if no one will trade for him. His cap hits the next 3 years would have been all above 25M. Terrible contract made even worse when they restructured it. Good deal for him though!

I don't know how much he will make this year whatever team signs him. I would pass, he will want more than worth, and he is not the best locker room presence, at least according to grapevine. More of a player who is for teams who want to win right now, plus he is 32 I believe, or 31. Even after this cut as a June 1st, and losing Landry, they will only be 7 million above the cap. Terrible management down in Miami and this smells like a total rebuild, which means:

Another suitor has just entered the ring to possibly want to move up, I don't think they want to pay Tannehill what he is owed, although it is reasonable for a QB, I think they want to move on, and drafting a QB gives them extra time with the fans. The only problem, total rebuild means draft choices, so will they be willing to give some up? Time will tell but all the extra suitors only makes are pick more valuable!

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Also interesting to note: the article said that they havent said if he's a june 1 cut or not, which would increase the savings from 3.9 mil to 17 mil.  HOWEVER, June 1 cut players salaries stay on the books UNTIL june 1, so Miami pretty much has to take the immediate cut vs the post june 1. 

Plus, a "culture change" was cited as a reason. That just tells me this is a guy that was either locker room unfriendly or coach unfriendly, and I don't want any part of that.

1 minute ago, loudnproudcolt said:

22 million dollar dead cap hit and the Dolphins are probably happy to have this large "mistake" signing gone. It seems lately it is much more about the locker room, and teams are more likely to accept the cap hits and release players if no one will trade for him. His cap hits the next 3 years would have been all above 25M. Terrible contract made even worse when they restructured it. Good deal for him though!

I don't know how much he will make this year whatever team signs him. I would pass, he will want more than worth, and he is not the best locker room presence, at least according to grapevine. More of a player who is for teams who want to win right now, plus he is 32 I believe, or 31. Even after this cut as a June 1st, and losing Landry, they will only be 7 million above the cap. Terrible management down in Miami and this smells like a total rebuild, which means:

Another suitor has just entered the ring to possibly want to move up, I don't think they want to pay Tannehill what he is owed, although it is reasonable for a QB, I think they want to move on, and drafting a QB gives them extra time with the fans. The only problem, total rebuild means draft choices, so will they be willing to give some up? Time will tell but all the extra suitors only makes our pick more valuable!

Patriots have benefited from terrible management across the AFC East, it seems like. The only time they had any resistance was from the Rex Ryan-Mark Sanchez led NY Jets, or the one game they almost lost on an annual basis in Miami.

48 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I can see the Cowboys, Falcons or Seahawks making a play for him. Seahawks, especially after trading Bennett and losing Sherman, might need a spark in the interior of that line.

Cowboys do not have the cap space to pursue Suh.  They're only 3 million to the good.  They'd have to cut a bunch to make that happen and still have 5-6 million to sign draft picks.

Falcons are right at 15 million currently, assuming 5-6 million for draft picks, leaves them at 10 million roughly,  I doubt theyd get Suh for that.

Seahawks make the most sense as they do have 30 million and could swing Suh and still sign draft picks and 1 or 2 more depending on how they do things.

8 minutes ago, BPindy said:

22 mil in dead money and they save like 3.5. What are they doing?

He was expendable.  they were 3.2 million OVER the cap before this move, as it sits, they're now under it barely. They have to be under it by tomorrow at 4 pm est.

9 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He was expendable.  they were 3.2 million OVER the cap before this move, as it sits, they're now under it barely. They have to be under it by tomorrow at 4 pm est.

Ive read (don’t know how reliable) that they have a couple other moves that would easily get them under the cap. This just seems short sighted to me. However, I did just see that they can designate him a post June 1st cut and save 9 mil of that dead money after he comes off the books.

43 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Plus, a "culture change" was cited as a reason. That just tells me this is a guy that was either locker room unfriendly or coach unfriendly, and I don't want any part of that.

THIS. I had a feeling that was a motivating factor. Teams don't just cut talented players with over $20M in dead cap space just because he's a "cap casualty". This move tells me they're over both him not living up to his huge contract and him (either on the field or in the locker room).

26 minutes ago, BPindy said:

Ive read (don’t know how reliable) that they have a couple other moves that would easily get them under the cap. This just seems short sighted to me. However, I did just see that they can designate him a post June 1st cut and save 9 mil of that dead money after he comes off the books.

yeah. however, because the cap hit wouldnt come off until June 1 though, if they did designate him a post june 1 cut, then they'd still have to make those moves before tomorrow. i agree with you though, I think miami bungled this one big time. And being how many players wanted out of Miami, makes me wonder what is going on down there in that locker room.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

THIS. I had a feeling that was a motivating factor. Teams don't just cut talented players with over $20M in dead cap space just because he's a "cap casualty". This move tells me they're over both him not living up to his huge contract and him (either on the field or in the locker room).

perhaps, but lets face it, Miami had locker room issues before Suh 

53 minutes ago, csmopar said:

perhaps, but lets face it, Miami had locker room issues before Suh 

Gase has done a TON of house cleaning. Landry's embarrassing stunt at the end of the year, they traded Ajai earlier who was reportedly a locker room problem, and now Suh....Gase must have a lot of support to clean up the team...because those aren't just problem children...those are big name guys that are a big piece of their production. But yeah...they aren't messing around.

Dislike the guy, but love the hard nosed player he is when he isn't being a knucklehead.

Me personally, I'd offer him a good sized contract for 2 years if he was somehow interested, but I'd bet he'll still command a nice contract because he's still a force inside. 

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

I don't think the Cowboys have the money to give him. 

I'd freaking LOVE to have Suh in Blue and White. He's a beast. Top 3 at his position. He would bring some nasty to this defense and that's exactly what we need. Some players with swag. In your face types. We have needs at Corner. too bad we didn't trade for Peters and Talib, then now sign Suh. Not only would that've drastically improved our D, but that would've given us some of the most aggressive players in the NFL. But we can still get Suh. Think about this.....

Chubb - Suh - Hankins - Autry...........Then Sheard, Basham, Simon, and another draft pick at backup DE, Woods, Anderson, Ridgeway as the backup DT's. That is more than solid. That's a heck of a DL...

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

I'd freaking LOVE to have Suh in Blue and White. He's a beast. Top 3 at his position. He would bring some nasty to this defense and that's exactly what we need. Some players with swag. In your face types. We have needs at Corner. too bad we didn't trade for Peters and Talib, then now sign Suh. Not only would that've drastically improved our D, but that would've given us some of the most aggressive players in the NFL. But we can still get Suh. Think about this.....

Chubb - Suh - Hankins - Autry...........Then Sheard, Basham, Simon, and another draft pick at backup DE, Woods, Anderson, Ridgeway as the backup DT's. That is more than solid. That's a heck of a DL...

O-ver rated!  Clap! Clap! Clap-clap-clap!

O-ver rated!  Clap! Clap!  Clap-clap-clap!

He's not a beast often enough, not at his price.    

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

O-ver rated!  Clap! Clap! Clap-clap-clap!

O-ver rated!  Clap! Clap!  Clap-clap-clap!

He's not a beast often enough, not at his price.    

We need an aggressive defensive player though to break free from the 'soft' label. 

Suh is a beast, I would try to sign him on a one or two year deal. 

We have plenty of cap space in the short term and we have to use some of it. 

If you are a fan of PFF he was rated 91 which is elite and much better than what is currently on the roster in terms of pass rush from the interior.

He may even make Sheard and whoever is lined up on the opposite side get more one on one opportunities, which the forum would love. 

:cash:

Make it rain Chris 

I’d love to get Suh. Price and age probably make us pass on him. My ideal target is Richardson. No word on him yet either. 

What I am not sure of is if our signing Autry prevents us from pursuing the bigger names. Autry May be listed as a DE, Be he more-so played inside for Oakland and generated pass rush from the interior.