Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich Expected to Interview

1959Colts

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

He just seems like a very boring hire to me. 

I wouldn't consider Reich an offensive genius by any means.  It's Petersons offense in Philadelphia.

And just based on his stoic appearance and demeanor , he doesn't strike me as having the strong "leader of men" qualities either.

I'd rather Toub, DeFilippo, or someone else at this point.

He does have a stoic appearance and demeanor but many great head coaches have, including Dungy (who was, at minimum, a "good" head coach, not just in Indy but in Tampa Bay too).  That measured, equanimous approach isn't a bad thing at all- a Rex Ryan-like hothead doesn't exactly instill either confidence or discipline.

Reich is a great man, which is important (and seemingly more than you can say for McDaniels), and as importantly he's demonstrated himself to be a quality QB coach and coordinator.  Even as a long-time Bills' backup he's also shown himself to be a natural leader of men.  

Ballard is right- it isn't about getting it done quickly but plainly "getting it right."

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

This is who I want. I hope we hire him!

I’m good with Reich or DeFillipo. That would be a solid get by the Colts given the circumstances. Lets get our next head coach from the team that kicked that Patty backside in the Super Bowl.  The rivalry is back on!   Woooooo! Lol 

Don't forget that just two years ago Doug Peterson was the last coach hired (out of 7 openings) and wasn't the Eagles' first choice- a supposed up-and-coming young offensive coordinator by the name of Ben McAdoo was (some of the similarities are clear, if not striking).  Fortunately for the Eagles the Giants promoted him to head coach because Jerry Reese didn't want to see him end up in Philly.

3 hours ago, Fan in Austin said:

Don't forget that just two years ago Doug Peterson was the last coach hired (out of 7 openings) and wasn't the Eagles' first choice- a supposed up-and-coming young offensive coordinator by the name of Ben McAdoo was (some of the similarities are clear, if not striking).  Fortunately for the Eagles the Giants promoted him to head coach because Jerry Reese didn't want to see him end up in Philly.

People also seem to be forgetting that Pederson didn't call the plays at KC, Reid did.  So the fear from some about Reich not having experience as a playcaller is...funny.  Reich gets no credit because Pederson was the offensive genius in Philly, but the exact same things were said about him when he was hired from out of Andy Reid's shadow.

Plus, just because he would be an offensive minded coach doesn't automatically mean he'd be calling the plays.  He could very well have his OC do that, like most teams do.

Frank Reich just received endorsement for the Colts' HC position on Sirius XM NFL Radio from Pat Kirwin and from BIll Polian.  I respect Kirwin and Polian very much, so count me now on-board with Frank Reich.

Also, both singing the praises of Chris Ballard.

5 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I wouldn't consider Reich an offensive genius by any means.  It's Petersons offense in Philadelphia.

And just based on his stoic appearance and demeanor , he doesn't strike me as having the strong "leader of men" qualities either.

Just curious, if Reich doesn't strike your fancy because he is boring and demeanor doesn't suggest to you he'd be a "leader of men" what have you seen from Toub or DeFilippo that suggests they would be?

29 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Just curious, if Reich doesn't strike your fancy because he is boring and demeanor doesn't suggest to you he'd be a "leader of men" what have you seen from Toub or DeFilippo that suggests they would be?

Lets face it, none of  us really know which of these guys are better... or worse?

Reich just strikes me as quiet type.  more emotionless. 

Which I am not sure is what we need as a fit for us here.

I remember reading a few columns on Toub, earlier, when he was expected to be our top candidate as coach.

The one selling point about Toub were these leadership and strong personal characteristics. However, it seems he is lacking the offensive and defensive experience (special teams coach)

As for DeFilippo... I have only watched video clips, he is young and he seems to be quite energetic and charismatic.

8 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

This is great news!

I would like to see Arians come back as a consultant to assist Reich as he learns the posistion. 

I would not be surprised if he agreed to help us. Especially after how we were publically treated. 

"Throw deep Frank, throw deep"

8 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

The points you made against Reich you could make against DeFilippo

7 hours ago, Andrew86 said:

I hope not, he's been a complete loser everywhere he has been besides Philadelphia and he doesn't even get to call the plays there.  I really am hoping for some surprise hire because all of the likely candidates are complete trash.

Something tells me you will hate no matter who the Colts hire.

8 hours ago, dodsworth said:

We will see, sounds more like an assistant than a leader but who knows.

Don't we have the QB coach from the Pats signed?

No, thus he will stay with the Pats.  It's possible JM was in communication with him not to sign until he did.

7 hours ago, chad72 said:

Here is more:

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2018/02/nfl_head_coaching_rumors_colts_want_to_interview_eagles_fran.html

Moreover, Pederson has lauded the impact Reich has had in terms of game-planning and play-calling. While Pederson called the plays for the Eagles' offense, he received high marks for his aggressiveness and malleable matchup-determined game-plans, which Reich could also bring with him as a head coaching candidate. 

Not only was Reich heavily involved in game planning the offense, he and Pederson were both backup NFL QB's. Together, they made the changes to the playbook to put Foles in the best position to succeed.  This could bode well for getting a custom playbook for Brissett if necessary. Hopefully Luck becomes completely healthy by training camp.

7 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

We'd be hiring him to be head coach, not offensive coordinator.

The HC can also be involved in game planning. I believe Pederson and Reich were both heavily involved (along with the projected starting QB that week) in game planning, and it is not unusual (if the HC is offensive minded).

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Here is a short video on Reich:

Nice find.

You may want to read this, written a while ago while the Bears were searching for a HC:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/4-bears-questions-is-eagles-frank-reich-a-bears-coach-candidate/

With his Eagles leading the NFL in points and quarterback Carson Wentz developing into a star, offensive coordinator Frank Reich figures to be someone’s head coach next season.

It could be the Bears, who undoubtedly will look for someone to groom Mitch Trubisky.

Eagles coach Doug Pederson sees head-coaching qualities in Reich

“He’s got the right demeanor,” Pederson said. “He’s a players’ coach. He relates well to the players. He does a great job with the offensive staff, and he’s got the right demeanor.

“He’s got the mindset, the mentality, the leadership qualities that you see. I think it is a matter of time. Obviously, the more success you have as a team, a lot of places are going to look. And I was fortunate a couple of years ago to be in that position. I see Frank maybe one day having another -opportunity.”

A lot of us want that emotional coach, like a fiery Josh McDaniels, I suppose??? Sorry, had to do it!!! :) 

Let us not judge a book by its cover. 

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Nice find.

You may want to read this:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/4-bears-questions-is-eagles-frank-reich-a-bears-coach-candidate/

With his Eagles leading the NFL in points and quarterback Carson Wentz developing into a star, offensive coordinator Frank Reich figures to be someone’s head coach next season.

It could be the Bears, who undoubtedly will look for someone to groom Mitch Trubisky.

Eagles coach Doug Pederson sees head-coaching qualities in Reich

“He’s got the right demeanor,” Pederson said. “He’s a players’ coach. He relates well to the players. He does a great job with the offensive staff, and he’s got the right demeanor.

“He’s got the mindset, the mentality, the leadership qualities that you see. I think it is a matter of time. Obviously, the more success you have as a team, a lot of places are going to look. And I was fortunate a couple of years ago to be in that position. I see Frank maybe one day having another -opportunity.”

One thing is certain, this is a very important hire. And Ballard better get it right.

The last thing this franchise can afford is two or three more years of sub 500 football,

and after a few more down years, being right back in the same boat, looking for a new head coach (and probably a new GM) again, should this hire fail.

I am still on the fence with Reich. There are some things I like. And some I worry about.

Even though Pederson gives him ringing the endorsement (of course he would!) 

I'm still not sold on Reich as head coach material.

I just picture him as the type of coach, who just stands on the sidelines, with the headphones on, throughout the game. (like Caldwell) 

I think this team may need a HC who is more fiery, dynamic and involved in the game.

I am also skeptical, as to why Philadelphia seems to prefer retaining DeFilippo over Reich?

I could be wrong, and maybe Reich would turn out great.

But I'm the last person, on this forum, to jump right on the bandwagon.

39 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I could be wrong, and maybe Reich would turn out great.

But I'm the last person, on this forum, to jump right on the bandwagon.

It is probably easier to understand pessimism at this point than optimism. But then, none of us really have a crystal ball, we all take educated guesses and some uneducated.

Ultimately, the HC has to command respect in the locker room and have the knowledge. I think Reich checks both boxes. I do not think you have to be a fiery head coach to be involved, Belichick does not come off as a fiery head coach, does he? He is just calculated and stoic on the sidelines but his results speak for themselves. Bill Cowher was more fiery, how long did it take for him to win a SB? You don't have to be a fiery coach to hold players accountable. That was our #1 issue, according to Colts fans, making coaches and players accountable and cross their t-s and dot their i-s when it came to game preparation. The Dungy led teams did not shoot themselves in the foot and that is why were competitive for 60 minutes against elite teams like the Steelers and Patriots. It wasn't just Peyton Manning. Players were accountable, but communicated to in a different way.

We saw Arians as a head coach but how many years did it take for him to get that break? No nonsense is fine as long as it brings results, stoic is fine as long as it brings results. We get carried away with the Jon Gruden type personalities (which McDaniels fits too) but I still think you are biased more towards personality assuming the personality will produce the results when we have several examples of stoic personalities producing results in the NFL. When you are a HC, you get that free reign to tell what an OC should try or DC should try in game or at half time, something you do not get to do as an OC or DC yourself. 

However, at this point, it seems like a safe bet to play the odds and not jump on any bandwagon, so I do understand your predicament.

10 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Not an Offensive genius???      But  you'd rather have Toub?    I have no idea how to follow you on this 

9 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I’m good with Reich or DeFillipo. That would be a solid get by the Colts given the circumstances. Lets get our next head coach from the team that kicked that Patty backside in the Super Bowl.  The rivalry is back on!   Woooooo! Lol 

Why DeFillipo?

6 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Frank Reich just received endorsement for the Colts' HC position on Sirius XM NFL Radio from Pat Kirwin and from BIll Polian.  I respect Kirwin and Polian very much, so count me now on-board with Frank Reich.

Also, both singing the praises of Chris Ballard.

Polian loves him some Frank Reich.  He was gung ho about him when he was our QB coach way back when so it's not surprising he's on board now.  

Make you feel a little better about the situation I suppose.

3 hours ago, MTC said:

If I was a betting man, I would put money on Frank Reich being the next head coach.

Agreed. It makes the most sense. He has tons of experience (albeit outside the head coaching ranks), QB guru, coached the Eagles who kicked the Pats defense to the curb, was talked about as a potential hire even before the McDaniels debacle, and was formerly employed by the Colts. Yea, it could be he didn't engineer the entire Superbowl Eagles offense, but obviously he had a part.