Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Update

Case

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

Kind of funny how people think the only way to know if he needs surgery is him throwing a football. 

Not sure that anyone thinks that's the ONLY way. 

We were at this point previously, with Luck throwing and then feeling pain in his shoulder afterwards. It is not unreasonable to think that maybe it can happen again. And no one is hoping that it happens again, but certainly you can see the logic behind curbing your enthusiasm until he's cleared that hurdle, right?

25 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Not sure that anyone thinks that's the ONLY way. 

We were at this point previously, with Luck throwing and then feeling pain in his shoulder afterwards. It is not unreasonable to think that maybe it can happen again. And no one is hoping that it happens again, but certainly you can see the logic behind curbing your enthusiasm until he's cleared that hurdle, right?

His muscle mass in December compared to last time he threw are night and day differences. He’s obviously been lifting a lot which is going to fire all those muscles. His strength now is much improved. I’m sure lifting heavy could produce the same symptoms as throwing.  I’m just over everyone being so doom and gloom. It’s exhausting 

41 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

His muscle mass in December compared to last time he threw are night and day differences. He’s obviously been lifting a lot which is going to fire all those muscles. His strength now is much improved. I’m sure lifting heavy could produce the same symptoms as throwing.  I’m just over everyone being so doom and gloom. It’s exhausting 

Or I could be wrong because I’m not a dr and everyone is right, his arm will indeed fall off. Clean off, like a lizard losing a tail 

41 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

Or I could be wrong because I’m not a dr and everyone is right, his arm will indeed fall off. Clean off, like a lizard losing a tail 

A) You could be right

B) You could be wrong, however, no one is saying his arm will fall off. Simply that he could require surgery again.

It's not doom and gloom to hold a "wait-and-see" attitude.

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

A) You could be right

B) You could be wrong, however, no one is saying his arm will fall off. Simply that he could require surgery again.

It's not doom and gloom to hold a "wait-and-see" attitude.

Yup, there's a difference between being doom and gloom and just being cautious.

I know it got pretty pessimistic here during the season in regards to Luck's injury, but this thread has been really tame in comparison.

43 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

I understand you. :) Honestly, I'm kinda tired of these news as well. Yeah, the Colts are soo secretive, and yeah, his recovery takes longer than expected. But whatever. He was't hit by a train, he didn't loose his arm, or something like that. Heck, not even nerve damage. Yep, it's his throwing arm, but he could throw the ball even with his bad shoulder quite well. I am not a doctor neither, but we all saw / know / heard countless of different of sport injuries and recoveries, or failed recoveries. This type of injury just does not have the carreer ending threat written all around it. It might take longer to recover from, it might linger, but he should be ultimately back. Whenever it is.

On 1/30/2018 at 10:04 AM, Superman said:

I was hoping Luck would hook up with Tom House at some point, wonder if McDaniels had anything to do with that. I take this as a positive development. Still won't really know anything until he plays. 

Yeah...he has not played a down in a while by the time next year comes around....he might go through mechanics changes that could affect his motion thus confidence and accuracy...heck he may even lose velocity. I am hopeful though. All I do know is this website would crash if we select a qb at 3.

1 hour ago, MightyLucks said:

The doctor with the missing arm turns into a lizard.  You’re thinking of a Spider-Man comic.  

Not to be overly positive. But I had the same injury as AL on my right shoulder. I am a powerlifter and that shoulder is way stronger then it was before. Although I did have issues with throwing for about a year and a half I did eventually recover and I no longer have any issues at all. So I'm quite optimistic for AL and the therapy and doctors he has access to.

14 hours ago, MightyLucks said:

Night and day difference?   Where did you come up with any of this?

1 hour ago, Coltfreak said:

I'm sure he's saying that after looking at the pictures.  Luck looks like he put on at least 20-30 lbs.  He looked back to his regular self in the last pics.

I understand people want to talk about Luck and his prognosis. I also see many here that are sure Andrew will be healthy, and a few determined he will no play, some say ever,  if not the beginning of the season.

My position has been, and still is, we do not know, yet.  The saddening additional news I’m now going to add?  The Colts may not have an accurate forecast of Luck’s condition for the upcoming season until sometime after the draft. It could be months after Luck has begun his throwing program before we know if he can cross over the hurdle that he could not clear last year, eventually putting him on I.R.

Luck appears to have opted to not have an exploratory arthroscope to definitively determine if there is still any structural damage that needs to be addressed.  If there is, that could set him back sometime down the road, once more. (I really hope there isn’t any)  Some have mentioned an MRI.  While a great diagnostic tool, it is not infallible in this respect.  I believe it to be only around 75-80% effective in demonstrating potential post surgical structural issues.  So a negative MRI still has an approximately 1 in 4 chance of not showing a problem that is truly there.

Remember, Luck went through months in a throwing program before coming of the PUP and throwing in practice (much more demanding than static throwing).  That is when problems arose, not early in his throwing program.

Truth is, the jury is still out, and it likely will be awhile before we truly know.  Every patient, every injury, every recovery is different from person to person; despite it being “the same injury”.  It is apparent Luck isn’t responding like Drew Brees did, and others don’t recover from ACL like Adrian Peterson did.  Doesn’t meant there was deficiency somewhere, just a manifestation of the unique differences in people and the details of their injury/repair/rehab.

I am pleased with the news A. Luck is going to begin a throwing program, and he has mechanics guru Tom house on board in the rehab too.  I’m hopeful for the prospect of Luck coming back in great condition for 2018.  But I also know that it cannot be stated that is the case at the present, and will take some more time before we will know.  It’s not a secrecy thing, it’s a the ‘answer isn’t known yet’ thing.  

3 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

My eyes. Look at him when he was practicing with the team compared to his presser in December. Pretty obvious. 

15 hours ago, Aaron86 said:

Not to be overly positive. But I had the same injury as AL on my right shoulder. I am a powerlifter and that shoulder is way stronger then it was before. Although I did have issues with throwing for about a year and a half I did eventually recover and I no longer have any issues at all. So I'm quite optimistic for AL and the therapy and doctors he has access to.

Fits what Drew Brees has said about his shoulder too minus the difficulties throwing and he had a similar surgery so I do expect him back and maybe better than before.

15 hours ago, Aaron86 said:

Agreed I have had the same surgery twice on may throwing shoulder and play travel softball all over the USA and I believe he will be fine as well!

18 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...he has not played a down in a while by the time next year comes around....he might go through mechanics changes that could affect his motion thus confidence and accuracy...heck he may even lose velocity. I am hopeful though. All I do know is this website would crash if we select a qb at 3.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet my next paycheck that the Colts don't draft a QB this year.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'd have to resign as a mod.

There would be no stopping the wrath and hate of Colts fans on Irsay, Grigson, Ballard, and Pagano. Heck even Blue might get tied and burnt at the stake.....I think it would be the end of this board as we know it.

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Fits what Drew Brees has said about his shoulder too minus the difficulties throwing and he had a similar surgery so I do expect him back and maybe better than before.

It's all about time and patience. Therapy is the biggest key to this injury. I was really worried about my shoulder the first 8 to 9 months but around 10 months my shoulder mobility started to increase significantly. I can remember my therapist telling me to be very patient with it. And its really difficult because you think it feels alright and you want to do certain things.

AL will be back and be just as good as ever. We as fans hate to not hear any news especially when there really is none...lol

21 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Is that first picture from December, though? Anyone know when it may have been taken?

My thought is that it would be mighty tough or impossible to make that type of gain within a month's time.

The second pic is from December at his presser. First is when he started practicing with team the last time 

Yesterday on Sirius XM NFL Radio's Moving the Chains, Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller were talking with Dr. David Chao on the topic of Andrew Luck.  Miller, who had the same issue as Luck, along with Dr. Chao said with conviction that Andrew Lucks throwing program would take three months, which they say means if he is just now starting the throwing program, then the Colts will not know definitively that Andrew Luck's shoulder is okay, until AFTER the NFL draft ... and that if he experiences a setback, then surgery would be required which would put 2018 into question.

That being said, they said by all reports, everything is going well, so it sounds like Luck will be okay, buuuuut there are no guarantees and we won't know for sure until after the draft.

Kirwin and Miller then also speculated the Colts might be wanting to use free agency for better "insurance" being that although they like Jacoby Brissett, they just don't see him as a viable "1st stringer" at this point.

Interesting stuff.  Guess we just have to, at this point, keep our fingers crossed.  I personally am optimistic.  :)

9 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Yesterday on Sirius XM NFL Radio's Moving the Chains, Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller were talking with Dr. David Chao on the topic of Andrew Luck.  Miller, who had the same issue as Luck, along with Dr. Chao said with conviction that Andrew Lucks throwing program would take three months, which they say means if he is just now starting the throwing program, then the Colts will not know definitively that Andrew Luck's shoulder is okay, until AFTER the NFL draft ... and that if he experiences a setback, then surgery would be required which would put 2018 into question.

That being said, they said by all reports, everything is going well, so it sounds like Luck will be okay, buuuuut there are no guarantees and we won't know for sure until after the draft.

Kirwin and Miller then also speculated the Colts might be wanting to use free agency for better "insurance" being that although they like Jacoby Brissett, they just don't see him as a viable "1st stringer" at this point.

Interesting stuff.  Guess we just have to, at this point, keep our fingers crossed.  I personally am optimistic.  :)

I would much rather have a veteran as Luck's backup.  With all this QB movement a couple solid no. 2's could come free.  Brissett has played a lot for us but I have to agree I don't see him as a viable "1st. stringer" either.  I would much rather have a veteran "Hasselback" type guy back there.  If we can find one let some other team take a chance on Brissett. 

Here's Chao's article ... 

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-andrew-luck-throwing-program-0130-story.html

" By ProFootballDocContact ReporterSports Medical Analyst

Jan. 30th, 2018, 10:25 AM

The good news is Andrew Luck is reportedly in Los Angeles and set to begin a throwing program.

The bad news is it could take months before Andrew Luck and the Colts know his status for sure.

Last year, he threw as part of rehab but never progressed to full practice.

Typically, one throws in rehab for at least a month, then progresses to limited practice for a month and then a full-go trial.

Realistically, it may be three months or more before Luck can be sure he will be fine for the 2018 season.

I expect and hope he will do well, but there is no certainty after all he has been through the past two-plus years.

Obviously, any setback that involved surgery would at this point jeopardize his ability to play at the start of the 2018 season, which is why I lobbied for a scope to make sure.

The key here is things may look good and Luck may be progressing, but it is entirely possible that on draft day the Colts won't have a guarantee on the health of their franchise quarterback."

8 hours ago, rockywoj said:

7 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Here's Chao's article ... 

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/profootballdoc/sd-sp-pfd-andrew-luck-throwing-program-0130-story.html

" By ProFootballDocContact ReporterSports Medical Analyst

Jan. 30th, 2018, 10:25 AM

The good news is Andrew Luck is reportedly in Los Angeles and set to begin a throwing program.

The bad news is it could take months before Andrew Luck and the Colts know his status for sure.

Last year, he threw as part of rehab but never progressed to full practice.

Typically, one throws in rehab for at least a month, then progresses to limited practice for a month and then a full-go trial.

Realistically, it may be three months or more before Luck can be sure he will be fine for the 2018 season.

I expect and hope he will do well, but there is no certainty after all he has been through the past two-plus years.

Obviously, any setback that involved surgery would at this point jeopardize his ability to play at the start of the 2018 season, which is why I lobbied for a scope to make sure.

The key here is things may look good and Luck may be progressing, but it is entirely possible that on draft day the Colts won't have a guarantee on the health of their franchise quarterback."

I agree with these, and said as much this morning.