Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should the Colts trade for Bobby Wagner?

Dark Superman

Bobby Wagner.

He has ties with Ed Dodds, and Seattle only has a little over $13 million in cap space and four draft picks in 2018. Bobby Wagner is one of the best inside linebackers in the game today and we can afford him. He still has two years left on his deal with Seattle, but with not much cap space to resign their own free agents or be active in free agency, maybe Ballard can work his magic and propose a trade to Seattle in order to bring Wagner to the Colts.

The only reason I brought this up is that someone posted an article about it earlier today and it had me thinking. I would personally love this, as our defense could use a force in the middle of our defense.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/18/16905312/why-the-colts-should-trade-for-bobby-wagner

Stampede Blue article suggesting the Colts go after the Seahawk Linebacker.

Highly doubt Seattle would shop the stud, but the writer made a couple interesting points. Seahawks got cap issues, and need to sign some FAs. Plus they need draft picks. Might be willing to deal him, especially if they can get his potential replacement in the draft.

Still, Seattle is in win now mode I think, so I doubt they trade him. But with the Indy switching to the 4-3 (likely), and having a need at 

ILB, plus having Ed Dodds in the FO, I think the colts make a lot of sense if SEA tries trading him.

Doubt a 3 and 4 is enough for the best linebacker in football. Especially when he's in his prime and got 2 years left on his contract.

6 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/18/16905312/why-the-colts-should-trade-for-bobby-wagner

Highly doubt Seattle would shop the stud, but the writer made a couple interesting points. Seahawks got cap issues, and need to sign some FAs. Plus they need draft picks. Might be willing to deal him, especially if they can get his potential replacement in the draft.

Still, Seattle is in win now mode I think, so I doubt they trade him. But with the Indy switching to the 4-3 (likely), and having a need at 

ILB, plus having Ed Dodds in the FO, I think the colts make a lot of sense if SEA tries trading him.

Doubt a 3 and 4 is enough for the best linebacker in football. Especially when he's in his prime and got 2 years left on his contract.

Merged

• 21isSuperman changed the title to Should the Colts trade for Bobby Wagner?

1. The stampedeblue article isn’t accurate in what it would cost to get him. What is essentially a third round pick is not all it would take to get arguably the best linebacker in the game in the prime of his career. 

2. His cap hit is about 14 million for each of the next two years, and his contract expires after that. For what amounts to a 28 million dollar, two year rental, I’d have to pass. 

3. We can get three pretty good linebackers for the same cost of one elite backer. Demario Davis, Avery Williamson, and Anthony Hitchens could all be had for the same price. I’m not even opposed to bringing back Bostic on another cheap deal. 

I read the Stampede Blue article and I have to admit I am starting to warm up to it.  He would be a perfect at ILB and we can afford him and he is young and in his prime.  I'm not worried about his contract expiring.  Ballard can always address that with an extension whenever he chooses if he chooses.   Seattle needs cap space and draft picks so I could see this happening.  I don't think a 3rd. pick would do it.  But if we could trade back in the first and get an extra second then you've got your deal.  We would still have a second and we would have added a great player.  That's a win  in my book.  I have always liked the idea of trading back with Denver and getting Shane Ray as part of the package.  I think I would be pretty happy if that trade also led to Bobby Wagner and Chubb.  Ray, Wagner and Chubb.  I like it!

34 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

No. 

We need more draft picks, not less.

No we need good players.  You can take a chance that a draft pick will turn out to be a good player, or you can get a good proven player via trade.  

Its all a matter of cap space and that players value.  If we could really get Wagner for a Third and swap of a 4 it would be a steal.  No way Seattle would go for it.  

The real test test is if we’d do it for our 2?   

I have mixed feelings. Wagner would be great and I'd do it in a heartbeat for a 3rd and 4th. He's likely better than any player we could pick, and we could recoup those picks with trade downs. Of course, more picks, the better. I doubt a third and fourth would be able to land him, but the Seahawks did trade Unger and a 5th for Jimmy Graham.

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Is Seattle really in win now mode? They got rid of a lot of their coaches, and this season proved that they still have some issues. I think they're looking for a short rebuild, especially since the Rams and 49ers look to be on the rise.

I say yes. Especially if he could be had for a 3. And probably still yea for a 2, especially if we can trade down and pick up extra picks.... I’ve never been all that worried about having a ton of picks. Picks in the draft only have value because of the player they get you. And idk who I’d rather have in the 2nd or 3rd over Bobby Wagner. 

26 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

No we need good players.  You can take a chance that a draft pick will turn out to be a good player, or you can get a good proven player via trade.  

Its all a matter of cap space and that players value.  If we could really get Wagner for a Third and swap of a 4 it would be a steal.  No way Seattle would go for it.  

The real test test is if we’d do it for our 2?   

i concur draft picks may turn out or bust, take the proven talent everytime

28 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

I say yes. Especially if he could be had for a 3. And probably still yea for a 2, especially if we can trade down and pick up extra picks.... I’ve never been all that worried about having a ton of picks. Picks in the draft only have value because of the player they get you. And idk who I’d rather have in the 2nd or 3rd over Bobby Wagner. 

Yep. Seattle may do it for our 2.  So the question is - are we sure we’d get a player of his quality at 2.  Obviously not, you can’t be sure any draft pick is going to work out.  

This is akin to trading our 2 for Vontae, but it’s a higher 2 for a better player, in a position of real need.  

I wouldn't want to give up a 2nd for him. But for a 3rd ? Heck yes. I'd offer up a 3rd and 4th this year, and another 4th in 2019. He's a top 2-3 ILB and he's in his prime. However. I seriously doubt Seattle would do this. But man. If we switch to a 43 Imagine Wagner and Williamson to go with a mid RD pick or Morrison/Jackson/Walker. Wow. Draft Chubb RD1 and a RB RD2. After acquiring Wagner. Sign Norwell, Josh Kline, Allen Robinson, Malcolm Butler, and Avery Williamson. Plus 2-3-4 quality depth signings. We'd be set !!!! So for the right price bring Wagner to Nap Town. My favorite ILB in the NFL.

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

No. 

We need more draft picks, not less.

We need picks so we can acquire good players. Picks are overrated at times. I'm not saying we should give up a lot to trade for Wagner, but at the right price I'd probably be all about it. If he was hitting FA this offseason, I think we'd all be willing to pay him top tier money. I'd give up a reasonable pick for him.

25 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yep. Seattle may do it for our 2.  So the question is - are we sure we’d get a player of his quality at 2.  Obviously not, you can’t be sure any draft pick is going to work out.  

This is akin to trading our 2 for Vontae, but it’s a higher 2 for a better player, in a position of real need.  

i concur

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

We need picks so we can acquire good players. Picks are overrated at times. I'm not saying we should give up a lot to trade for Wagner, but at the right price I'd probably be all about it. If he was hitting FA this offseason, I think we'd all be willing to pay him top tier money. I'd give up a reasonable pick for him.

Exactly! If all that mattered was more picks. We could trade our 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th and have the last 90 picks in the draft. 

36 minutes ago, will426 said:

Depends on how many years left on his contract for me..because if he’s a free agent soon he’s gonna cost s fortune 

He has 2 years to go on his current deal If we can get him for what the article suggested a 3rd and swapping 4th's I think I'd do it. He's what we need speed to play side line to side line plus he adds a vets presence to a young D 

Our 2nd round pick is basically a late 1st round pick.  If we trade down, we probably can’t get Chubb.  Tough call...  I’d give up a 3rd and swap 4ths all day though.  If in some scenario that we did trade back, I’m definitely giving up that acquired 2nd for him in a heartbeat. 

People are complaining now, but if the Colts really did end up with Wagner, there shouldn't be a person on this forum that should be upset.

I'll gladly give up a few mid-round picks of players who haven't proved anything in the NFL yet, in exchange for a guy who fills a need and is one of the best in the league.

Take my money!

4 minutes ago, KING. said:

People are complaining now, but if the Colts really did end up with Wagner, there shouldn't be a person on this forum that should be upset.

I'll gladly give up a few mid-round picks of players who haven't proved anything in the NFL yet, in exchange for a guy who fills a need and is one of the best in the league.

Take my money!

Oh, I'd take him in a heartbeat for that price. 

6 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

If they’re going to get his replacement in the draft, why are we trading for him? Why not just get the drafted player? This ILB class is deep too

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

If they’re going to get his replacement in the draft, why are we trading for him? Why not just get the drafted player? This ILB class is deep too

We could. Wagner is the proven all pro player though. With his age and contract, you'd probably only have him for two years. Question is, would  you be willing to drop a 3rd (or 2nd, which is what I think is the more realistic thing) round pick for 2 seasons of really good production? Hard to tell. Remember, the draft ain't no guarantee either. 

30 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Didn't we do that for Trent Richardson? Now THAT didn't work out....

28 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Who said anything about drafting his replacement in the draft? No one knows what players the Colts will choose.

32 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Didn't we do that for Trent Richardson? Now THAT didn't work out....

So the Colts shouldn't ever trade again since that one didn't work out in their favor?

Ryan Grigson is long gone and Chris Ballard definitely has shown us that he knows what he's doing.

If Ballard makes a trade, I'll stand behind his decision.