Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ian Rapoport: Colts coaching search down to McDaniels or Vrabel

stitches

21 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yep. Cause I can't control it so why worry bout it

Na, I am the same way..

and completely understand buddy... I was just poking you.  Well, not poking in the sense that cowboys meant, but poking - like in the ribs... 

Hell we all want to know NOW, not tomorrow, but NOW.. it is human nature.  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure how to post a completely new topic, so am posting this here:

If Josh McDaniels is indeed the new HC, this will have ramifications for Andrew Luck, in that it will be the first truly "new" offense that he will need to learn.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both Bruce Ariens and Rod Chudzinski were proponents of the "Coryell" offense, or variations thereof.  And Pep Hamilton attempted to bring in the Stanford "West Coast" offense that Luck was already familiar with, and attempted (unsuccessfully) to blend with the existing offense.

If McDaniels comes here, he will undoubtedly bring with him the "Erhardt-Perkins" offense, which is very different from the others in both terminology and philosophy.  Andrew may have some work ahead of him.

(Again, if I'm incorrect, please let me know!)

11 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

If Josh McDaniels is indeed the new HC, this will have ramifications for Andrew Luck, in that it will be the first truly "new" offense that he will need to learn.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but both Bruce Ariens and Rod Chudzinski were proponents of the "Coryell" offense, or variations thereof.  And Pep Hamilton attempted to bring in the Stanford "West Coast" offense that Luck was already familiar with, and attempted (unsuccessfully) to blend with the existing offense.

If McDaniels comes here, he will undoubtedly bring with him the "Erhardt-Perkins" offense, which is very different from the others in both terminology and philosophy.  Andrew may have some work ahead of him.

McDaniels offense has a lot of west coast attributes.

13 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

(Luck)ily  for us Andrew is a quick study, and quite capable of anything thrown his way.

32 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Well then I guess Luck will be studying instead of snowboarding 

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Bill O’Brien runs a similar if not the same offense en Houston. Deshaun Watson’s a rookie ... I think Andrew will be okay 

http://grantland.com/features/how-terminology-erhardt-perkins-system-helped-maintain-dominance-tom-brady-patriots/

So we still have 4 teams looking for coaches.

Tennessee is out (actually never in)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905745/article/breaking-down-cardinals-colts-giants-lions-coaching-searches

Likely candidates: 

Colts: McDaniels - Vrabel

Giants: McDaniels - Patricia - Wilks - Shurmur

Lions: Patricia - Vrabel - Shurmur

Cards: Shurmur - Wilks - Munchak 

Unless Munchak, Vrabel or Wilks is signed, seems like at least another week of these four teams waiting.

Depending which of the playoff teams lose next Sunday, it may drag on till after Super Bowl Feb 4.

A lot can change over that time span.

Lets hope Irsay and Ballard can land a big fish, and not have to settle for the bottom feeders.

21 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905745/article/breaking-down-cardinals-colts-giants-lions-coaching-searches

Likely candidates: 

Unless Munchak, Vrabel or Wilks is signed, seems like at least another week of these four teams waiting.

Depending which of the playoff teams lose next Sunday, it may drag on till after Super Bowl Feb 4.

Lets hope Irsay and Ballard can land a big fish, and not have to settle for the bottom feeders.

Gonna be a long 3 weeks

28 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

For everyone attacking McDaniels, if you applied that same logic to Belichick after he was fired from the Browns, he would have never been a HC again.

True but Belichick never lost the locker room in the manner that McDaniels did in Denver.  Guys didn't want to play for him.  Hopefully he learned his lessons.  We will see how it plays out.  3 weeks is a long time.

2 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Na, I am the same way..

and completely understand buddy... I was just poking you.  Well, not poking in the sense that cowboys meant, but poking - like in the ribs... 

Hell we all want to know NOW, not tomorrow, but NOW.. it is human nature.  

You're good bud. I know. I'm just as anxious as the next fan :headspin:

23 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Likely candidates: 

*If* we miss out on McDaniels or Vrabel I would expect the search to turn to the college ranks to see if they can make a big move there. 

That's all for naught though. It's McDaniels. I'm guessing they already have a deal in principle and he's been reaching out and filling his staff. 

I don't think Irsay and Ballard would pegionhole themselves into getting frozen out of the coaching pool by holding out for a guy who they may not get. 

10 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

True but Belichick never lost the locker room in the manner that McDaniels did in Denver.  Guys didn't want to play for him.  Hopefully he learned his lessons.  We will see how it plays out.  3 weeks is a long time.

I hear ya but I know I've changed and learned from mistakes from years ago, I imagine that Denver could have been the kick to the genitals of his ego that is sometimes needed of such people. It's likely he's learned from it

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I hear ya but I know I've changed and learned from mistakes from years ago, I imagine that Denver could have been the kick the genitals of his ego that is sometimes needed of such people. It's likely he's learned from it

Also, its not like he is not in contact with players now. I'm fairly certain if he didn't get along with the players now he wouldn't be around. 

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Can they do that? I mean officially sign the guy before his team completes its playoff run?

No...   they can't officially sign the guy, but it appears they've entered into a Gentleman's Agreement and gone public with it.   I'm impressed.    Don't recall this  happening before quite like this.   Though the Shannahan situation last year was something like this...

Still leaves Giants as possible competition for McDaniels...   but we may be one step closer...

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No...   they can't officially sign the guy, but it appears they've entered into a Gentleman's Agreement and gone public with it.   I'm impressed.    Don't recall this  happening before quite like this.   Though the Shannahan situation last year was something like this...

Still leaves Giants as possible competition for McDaniels...   but we may be one step closer...

Hmm I bet we'll hear something then on McDaniels one way or the other by Tuesday 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tennessee just offered Bull Mularkey an extension so Tennessee isn't firing him.

Yep. 

So so I really think this comes down to Colts vs Giants. Giants have just as many issues as we have but with a much older QB in Eli. Granted they have the number 2 pick and could grab a QB.

Colts have Luck, who if healthy is a top 5 QB in the league with years to play ahead of him. Even if he's not, we have Brissett (who honestly didn't play all that bad considering nearly every play was a 5-7 step drop looking for the big play and getting sacked 50 times) but we also have the 3rd pick and could grab a young QB for Josh to coach up. 

Gonna be interesting but I think IF McDaniels is the guy, trying not to be biased here, I think he picks us unless New York offers him a Gruden deal or better

Lions went public and showed their decided commitment to Patricia.  Publicly the Colts have not yet decided and it's between two finalists.  If it is McDaniels and they have an agreement there is no reason to wait on going public now.  If the Giants just lost their top choice they might move quickly on McDaniels if he was their 2nd. choice.  There is nothing like feeling wanted.  Here's hoping if McDaniels is the man they really want they won't let him get away by dragging this out.   The Giants are lurking and most likely not happy. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yep. 

So so I really think this comes down to Colts vs Giants. Giants have just as many issues as we have but with a much older QB in Eli. Granted they have the number 2 pick and could grab a QB.

Colts have Luck, who if healthy is a top 5 QB in the league with years to play ahead of him. Even if he's not, we have Brissett (who honestly didn't play all that bad considering nearly every play was a 5-7 step drop looking for the big play and getting sacked 50 times) but we also have the 3rd pick and could grab a young QB for Josh to coach up. 

Gonna be interesting but I think IF McDaniels is the guy, trying not to be biased here, I think he picks us unless New York offers him a Gruden deal or better

The Colts job is better because we have Luck getting healthy and the #3 pick + Ballard Is better than anyone they have in the FO. They have a problem as well regarding the QB position. Stick with Eli or Draft a QB? Eli has struggled for a while and is no spring chicken. We may end up with a healthy 28 yr old Luck and Barkley, who wouldn't want to Coach that? I would love to Coach that. 

Just now, richard pallo said:

Lions went public and showed their decided commitment to Patricia.  Publicly the Colts have not yet decided and it's between two finalists.  If it is McDaniels and they have an agreement there is no reason to wait on going public now.  If the Giants just lost their top choice they might move quickly on McDaniels if he was their 2nd. choice.  There is nothing like feeling wanted.  Here's hoping if McDaniels is the man they really want they won't let him get away by dragging this out.   The Giants are lurking and most likely not happy. 

Being the Ballard and McDaniels share an agent, I have the feeling that Ballard would have the inside track should the Giants make an offer.  That and I think the Giants are looking at a defensive coach. Not sure Eli would be wanting to go to a new offense this late in his career

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Being the Ballard and McDaniels share an agent, I have the feeling that Ballard would have the inside track should the Giants make an offer.  That and I think the Giants are looking at a defensive coach. Not sure Eli would be wanting to go to a new offense this late in his career

It's true the agent connection should help but the Giants might have lost their no.1 guy.  I'm just hoping McDaniels is not their no. 2 choice.  I can see them trying to move quickly if they can no matter who it is.  Hopefully Wilks. 

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

Likely candidates: 

Wilks is staying with the panthers