Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ian Rapoport: Colts coaching search down to McDaniels or Vrabel

stitches

Mike Mularkey basically went down like a captain with his ship, and was loyal to a fault.

Most coaches would try to stay away from this situation where the GM feels like he needs to dictate the ensemble of coaches. I think this would have to lean McDaniels towards us, as long as Irsay opens his checkbook out, IMO. 

Unfortunately, the only thing it might do is up the asking price of McDaniels to the $8 mil. per year range, but that is the downside we were willing to chance by waiting for him. Hopefully, Ballard's personal relationship with McDaniels helps, and most importantly, updates on Luck's medical reports, if they are good, help.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I am since if he takes the Tenn job he was never committed to the Colts and the fear of him going back to NE subsides 

I would agree with this statement. If he decides to go to Tennessee then I am fine moving forward with Vrabel. He is very well thought of around the league and could get some great coordinators. 

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

The Titans know exactly who they are getting. They planned to fire Mularkey the whole time. The other stuff is just a farce. Looks like we may end up with Mike Vrabel, but my hope is they get something going with Steve Wilks again. I definitely prefer him over Vrabel.

That could play into our hands

35 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Oh good grief. Don't panick just yet. TN can't even interview him for at least another week if not three

What makes you think that they have to interview him?  He’s in demand right now and it’s possible that they have already talked to him and/or his agent. I find it hard to believe that they fired Mularkey without having his replacement already. This could end up similar to the Raiders going after Gruden. I doubt there was much interviewing there. 

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

at this point maybe the Colts should reach out to Eberflus.... everybody seems to be high on him. If josh screws us then we screw him...Ha!!

I still think Josh picks us though, fingers crossed

Nah, that would be knee-jerk and neither Ballard nor Irsay make spiteful and knee-jerk decisions.

Just now, deedub75 said:

What makes you think that they have to interview him?  He’s in demand right now and it’s possible that they have already talked to him and/or his agent. I find it hard to believe that they fired Mularkey without having his replacement already. This could end up similar to the Raiders going after Gruden. I doubt there was much interviewing there. 

Unless they want to pay a big fine they must go through the interview process and Rooney Rule

4 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Once a cheater, likely again to be a cheater. If that GM could dump Mularkey because of the next big thing in the market, he could do the same to McDaniels some day, and McDaniels would be smart enough to know that.

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Unless they want to pay a big fine they must go through the interview process and Rooney Rule

Thats just a formality like The Gruden hire. They have plenty of time since McDaniels can’t be hired yet. 

I’m not saying that’s the case but it’s a possibility. 

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If we lose out on McDaniels you can blame Ballard on this one.  If he was the No.1 choice there was no reason not to make it happen.  They satisfied the Rooney rule early and were still waiting on Wilks.  The fans that wanted him can only hope they already have an agreement and he honors it.  If we lose out on McDaniels I hope Ballard expands the search and at least talks to Shaw and Peterson and a few others.   I read where Irsay's daughter wants a younger coach so that would probably eliminate Toub among others.  I thought this could happen and it did.  A young GM learning on the job?  Let's hope he has a deal in place.  If he doesn't I can see him going to the Titans.  A nightmare comes true?

How is it Ballard's fault? McDaniels can't sign until after the team exits the playoffs or wins the SB.

Just now, chad72 said:

Once a cheater, always a cheater. If that GM could dump Mularkey because of the next big thing in the market, he could do the same to McDaniels some day, and McDaniels would be smart enough to know that.

If the rumors are true he had been on the hot seat anyway. Had they not made the playoffs or won that playoff game he would have been gone already. 

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

If JMcD takes the Tenn job he never wanted to be here so IMO good riddance 

True. I am sure they knew a division rival wanted him and felt they had to make a move. It ultimately boils down to McDaniels' interest in the Titans. I am not going to lose sleep over it. 

You cannot say with a straight face "I will let you assemble the coaches you want" to McDaniels when you just let go of another HC for not getting the coaches you wanted, if you are the Titans' GM, just saying. :) 

Just now, chad72 said:

True. I am sure they knew a division rival wanted him and felt they had to make a move. It ultimately boils down to McDaniels' interest in the Titans. I am not going to lose sleep over it. 

You cannot say with a straight face "I will let you assemble the coaches you want" to McDaniels when you just let go of another HC for not getting the coaches you wanted, if you are the Titans' GM, just saying. :) 

That is they way I feel

And that was real Gangsta the way they covered up the commitment they said they had to him (Mularkey) after the Chiefs win by offering him an "Extension" directly after the Patriots loss and then firing him on the pretense that they couldnt come to an agreement. Of course you cant come to an agreement for an offer that was likely God Awful in the first place! Im sure it was take it or leave it Bucko. I guess he left it and they fired him.

9 minutes ago, Indeee said:

link to what? It was just my opinion

I just wanted to make sure you realized that was the case.

None of us KNOW anything, and we certainly can't predict the future success of any of these guys.

We can reason what makes us feel more comfy with one, vs another, but it'll be a while before we KNOW anything.

I guess I should qualify myself on the McDaniels pursuit.

I'd be fine if he were hired, but he does make me nervous.

I do worry about his personality, and I've always considered him to be behind, or heavily involved, in the Pats cheating scandals. Not saying I'm right. Just saying he gives me that impression. On that level, I've always had him down similar to Lane Kiffin.

Do I think someone can change? Sure, and I'll trust Ballard, so I'd be good if he were the guy. Just cautious.

Just now, krunk said:

And that was real Gangsta the way they covered up the commitment they said they had to him (Mularkey) after the Chiefs win by offering him an "Extension" directly after the Patriots loss and then firing him on the pretense that they couldnt come to an agreement. Of course you cant come to an agreement for an offer that was likely God Awful in the first place! Im sure it was take it or leave it Bucko. I guess he left it and they fired him.

I think it was an issue of a disagreement. From what I'm hearing, Mularkey refused to change his coordinators, which got him fired. 

30 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah but they had Jeff Fisher there for many years.

Not exactly recent history. Their last two coaches have now been: fired in the middle of his second season, and fired after delivering their first playoff win in 14 years.

5 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

Not exactly recent history. Their last two coaches have now been: fired in the middle of his second season, and fired after delivering their first playoff win in 14 years.

Yeah but those coaches havent won or showed Pagano level competence. If they have a guy they believe in they have shown they will ride with him. I believe its the same ownership. Remember the GM has much incite on what Mcdaniels brings to the table as far as what can be accomplished in the right setting.