Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ian Rapoport: Colts coaching search down to McDaniels or Vrabel

stitches

28 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

I think it was an issue of a disagreement. From what I'm hearing, Mularkey refused to change his coordinators, which got him fired. 

But if this is the guy you believe in do you do that? Its similar to Jim Mora and Polian. Offer him something you know he'd be dead set against and then fire him because he wont comply with it.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I have always liked Vrabel myself

Vrabel is intriguing but I just don't think his time is now especially when we need to win now with Luck being 28. We just don't have the time to nurture Vrabel into the coach he can be. 

5 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Colts haven't been linked to either Shurmur or Toub. Toub could be hired at any time, but Shurmur is still in the playoffs and there is not indication that the Colts interviewed him.

Hence why I said bring them in now?

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

But if this is the guy you believe in do you do that? Its similar to Jim Mora and Polian. Offer him something you know he'd be dead set against and then fire him because he wont comply with it.

I don't think they believed in Mularkey. Mularkey was set to be fired after week 17, but then they won the Chiefs game. I believe they're all in on McDaniels.

Just now, IndyScribe said:

Patricia is going to the Lions, but he is more qualified.

Agreed they are the frontrunners...and I know he isn't in the running here.  Just speaking on qualifications of others out there.  Not sure why Vrable is in such high demand based on his experience.

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The Wills boat sailed the moment he declined the interview 

Yeah but it wouldn't surprise me if he and his agent had a real strong idea the Colts were going with Mcdaniels. If it turns out that is no longer the case I think things could open up. Especially when your competition is Vrabel another defensive guy.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Yeah but it wouldn't surprise me if he and his agent had a real strong idea the Colts were going with Mcdaniels. If it turns out that is no longer the case I think things could open up. Especially when your competition is Vrabel another defensive guy.

Unless he has a jetpack not sure he can get back on 

Lol. This thread has turned into a hen cackling, hand wringing, tongue wagging, din of overreaction. 

The Colts have displayed consistency by their owners patience. 

The Colts are one of the younger teams in the NFL.

The Colts have a massive amount of money to spend.

The above things are factual

All else reminds me of fans hanging on to a kite tail that is flying seriously out of control...when in actuality, the kite path might not even exist. Set your feet on the ground and breath.....

2 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Was it? Tweet shows 7 AM for me while I saw the Titans news break an hour ago. If it was after, that tweet doesn't make sense. I doubt McDaniels chooses to go there based on the fact that they won against the Chiefs. 

Says 10:07am for me.

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Lol. This thread has turned into a hen cackling, hand wringing, tongue wagging, din of overreaction. 

The Colts have displayed consistency by their owners patience. 

The Colts are one of the younger teams in the NFL.

The Colts have a massive amount of money to spend.

The above things are factual

All else reminds me of fans hanging on to a kite tail that is flying seriously out of control...when in actuality, the kite path might not even exist. Set your feet on the ground and breath.....

Nicely put

9 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

They could, but if they haven't before, what makes you think they would do it now?

Usually it's the normal thing to do when your top candidate has a strong suitor. It gives the employer options and would be a smart business decision. 

Then again this is all moot if Mcdaniels is coming here regardless.  Who knows

2 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Was it? Tweet shows 7 AM for me while I saw the Titans news break an hour ago. If it was after, that tweet doesn't make sense. I doubt McDaniels chooses to go there based on the fact that they won against the Chiefs. 

If you look at Lombardi's timeline, he posted that after the news broke.

His point is that the Titans can't officially interview McDaniels until next Monday, so they're bringing up the rear, while the Colts may have already reached a handshake agreement with him. 

I don't know what to think about this. It's a major development that I was hoping wouldn't happen, because while I think the Colts job is solid, I think the Titans job is better. Still, I was getting the sense that the Colts and McDaniels were pretty much a done deal, and now that could all fall apart.

Just now, Surge89 said:

Usually it's the normal thing to do when your top candidate has a strong suitor. It gives the employer options and would be a smart business decision. 

Then again this is all moot if Mcdaniels is coming here regardless.  Who knows

I agree with you, but I feel like if they haven't interviewed Toub or Shurmur before, when they had the chance, they aren't interviewing them now.

Our brilliant GM doesn’t want anyone concerned about AL’s health. It looks like he will get his wish, because any top candidate obviously would be. So he can now hire Toub and tell us all that was his choice all along. Another rookie GM learning on the job.

Yeah, I'm not that confident in Vrabel. If it is Vrabel, at least we'll know shortly.

That's where I'm at. Not confident in him but if it's him, at least we should know soon.

Although Ballard could re-open the search, which I hope he does if McDaniels is out, and still end up with Vrabel as his guy.

I agree with you, but I feel like if they haven't interviewed Toub or Shurmur before, when they had the chance, they aren't interviewing them now.

Toub is the one wildcard, always has been. McDaniels might be the first choice, but if that seems uncertain, I could see Ballard bringing Toub directly to Irsay for approval. 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

If you look at Lombardi's timeline, he posted that after the news broke.

His point is that the Titans can't officially interview McDaniels until next Monday, so they're bringing up the rear, while the Colts may have already reached a handshake agreement with him. 

I don't know what to think about this. It's a major development that I was hoping wouldn't happen, because while I think the Colts job is solid, I think the Titans job is better. Still, I was getting the sense that the Colts and McDaniels were pretty much a done deal, and now that could all fall apart.

If the Titans really like McDaniels that much, they could probably still get him after waiting. He seems to be more interested in the Titans job, so he'd be willing to wait for a chance to interview. I'm a little worried because the Colts don't have any good backup options if McDaniels is hired by the Titans. Vrabel doesn't inspire confidence and Colts haven't interviewed Shurmur/Toub.

Still believe Indianapolis is the most attractive destination compared to any team (including Tennessee now).

Hard to pass up a franchise QB, the 3rd overall pick, and a ton of cap space. Ballard said that if a coach is worried about Luck's shoulder, he will not be a good fit to coach this team, which makes me wary on that claim by Ian Rappaport. 

2 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Our brilliant GM doesn’t want anyone concerned about AL’s health. It looks like he will get his wish, because any top candidate obviously would be. So he can now hire Toub and tell us all that was his choice all along. Another rookie GM learning on the job.

Not sure how you got to this conclusion? Ballard knows that candidates will want to know about Luck's health and will be honest with him. There also isn't any indication that Toub has interviewed.