Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Mack stiff arm on Clowney

RockThatBlue

9 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

It needs its own thread.

How awesome was that???

One of the best stiff arms ever!  And he did it to a stud nonetheless.  JC did get back a little bit with that hit along the sidelines later, but IMO it should have been flagged for leading with the crown of his helmet... I think  :thinking:  I only saw one quick replay but in slow-mo it sure looked like it.  Doesn't matter now anyway just wanted to add it in.  Mack got up and basically clapped in his face and ran back to the huddle, lol.

1 minute ago, BR-549 said:

One of the best stiff arms ever!  And he did it to a stud nonetheless.  JC did get back a little bit with that hit along the sidelines later, but IMO it should have been flagged for leading with the crown of his helmet... I think  :thinking:  I only saw one quick replay but in slow-mo it sure looked like it.  Doesn't matter now anyway just wanted to add it in.  Mack got up and basically clapped in his face and ran back to the huddle, lol.

I thought the same. Sure looked like targeting to me. I hate the targeting rule tbh, but interesting how it gets missed like that.

1 minute ago, twfish said:

He started showing he can run between the tackle when given the chance. He's more than just a scat back

Yep and he made some really nice moves and showed some athleticism today that he hasn't done much of to date.  He also showed a lot of heart on that TD run.  Along with the heart he switched up his stride/ gate in mid-run and that is really hard to do.... he made it look easy.

I think he has gained a lot more confidence as the year wore on and also improved vision.  In other words, the game slowed down for him and I truly believe he will be a really good back for us in the near future.  

I am pretty happy with him at this point.  Not that my opinion matters, lol

2 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Yep and he made some really nice moves and showed some athleticism today that he hasn't done much of to date.  He also showed a lot of heart on that TD run.  Along with the heart he switched up his stride/ gate in mid-run and that is really hard to do.... he made it look easy.

I think he has gained a lot more confidence as the year wore on and also improved vision.  In other words, the game slowed down for him and I truly believe he will be a really good back for us in the near future.  

I am pretty happy with him at this point.  Not that my opinion matters, lol

IMO along with many others RB's need multiple carries to get going and he hasn't had much of a chance to get alot of carries until Gore went out for the series.  I think if we didn't have Gore and he was our starter and we did more stretches and zone runs he could have been a 1k yard runner

3 minutes ago, twfish said:

IMO along with many others RB's need multiple carries to get going and he hasn't had much of a chance to get alot of carries until Gore went out for the series.  I think if we didn't have Gore and he was our starter and we did more stretches and zone runs he could have been a 1k yard runner

Possible for sure..... also, might just point to the fact that RB is not as much of a "need" as some of us think.  Meaning, as nice as it would be to get Barkley, we should probably spend our resources on other needs... PRIORITIES, lol.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

I thought the same. Sure looked like targeting to me. I hate the targeting rule tbh, but interesting how it gets missed like that.

Plays like that are never called when it's on a runner. Nor should they.

5 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Why?  If it is a dangerous situation then it shouldn't matter what type of ball carrier it is

Because when you have two players running at full speed with one trying to hiit and the other trying avoid the hit,  helmet to helmet is often unavoidable. That's not the case with a defenseless receiver or QB.

and when I say runner, I mean anyone running with the ball....not just running backs.

1 hour ago, BR-549 said:

Loved both the stiff arm and the way Mack clapped back at Clowney after that hit. Tough player.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yeah but the rule is that you can't lead with your helmet. Might as well toss the rule if it isn't applied to everyone. Clowney definitely lead with his helmet.

I'm not an expert on the rules, but I think it's more nuanced than that when it pertains to a runner.  They could throw a flag on every running play if that were the case.

33 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If Barkley is there.  There are scenarios where the Browns or Giants might very well take him before the Colts have the chance.

With the Browns with pick 1 and 4 I could very well see them taking Barkley with the #1 and a QB with pick 4.

10 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I don’t believe there exists “targeting” in the NFL.  Just various personal fouls for unecessary roughness, roughing the passer, hit on a defenseless receiver, etc.

The collegiate targeting rule is a farce though.  So I’m with ya there.

12 hours ago, BOTT said:

Because when you have two players running at full speed with one trying to hiit and the other trying avoid the hit,  helmet to helmet is often unavoidable. That's not the case with a defenseless receiver or QB.

and when I say runner, I mean anyone running with the ball....not just running backs.

Sorry, I disagree.  I am not talking so much about helmet to helmet but leading with the crown of he helmet like he did in that play is wrong.  And leading with the helmet is dangerous in every situation...  not only to the "runner" but to the one leading with his helmet.  

Form tackling has never been described as leading with your head down and will never be taught that way.... penalty or not.

5 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Sorry, I disagree.  I am not talking so much about helmet to helmet but leading with the crown of he helmet like he did in that play is wrong.  And leading with the helmet is dangerous in every situation...  not only to the "runner" but to the one leading with his helmet.  

Form tackling has never been described as leading with your head down and will never be taught that way.... penalty or not.

He didn't lead with the crown of his helmet. That's a pretty standard hit on a runner.920x920.jpg

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Then the #3 pick becomes extra valuable if Denver at 5, or the Jets at 6 want to trade in front of Cleveland for a QB.

Very well should be. The Giants may take Barkley if they decide to stay with Eli as their starter next year. They sure had no running game this season.

16 hours ago, BR-549 said:

Reminded me of Luck in way how he just bounced up and gave him the good job slap on the rear .

38 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Does anyone have a video of this play? I was watching Redzone & never got to see it.

Here is the stiff arm

If you are talking about Clowney leading with his helmet I haven't found a clip with just that play.  It was evident during the game that his helmet, the crown, hit Mack in the side of his helmet.