Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Marlon Mack

WoolMagnet

Let me start by saying i know nothing aboutvhim other than basic stats and watching youtube highlight videos.  I was just watching those videos and his "style" if you will was reminding me of someone but i couldnt put my finger on it.

He's got a quick to the hole slashing speed that can break it.  He's got deceptive power that catches defenders offguard, and he regularly breaks tackles if you dont wrap him up.  He'll revers the field on you, and even retreat before springing it to the other side (ala barry sanders).  But mainly it was the position of his upper body when he runs, and especially his legs.  Watch his legs.  Big strider that has the moves to break ankles.

Now i realize the guy hasnt played a down in the NFL, and i'm not comparing talent.  But when i watch him run, i see ..:. (Drumroll please)..:: walter Payton.  I really do:

ps:  i'm. Gonna go seek shelter now cuz i know i'm gonna get blasted but my eyes see what they see:  its in the legs.

Saw payton a few times.  Barry too.  Watching them run in person was like a atching a thorobred. Brings tears to your eyes.  Dickerson was fun to watch too.  The speed in person and raw power is much more impressive then tv. I even saw the fridge score a td in tampa.

I was happy we got a RB this season. Mack went unnoticed this season. He also has the ability to run routes. If he impresses during preseason then I’d give him the nod to start. Frank left a lot of years on the field last season. He did have 1000, but a younger back could’ve had more. 

You have to remember the competition you watched him play against.  Everyone in the NFL is going to be faster than he saw in college.  Probably bigger, stronger, and better coached too.  

Not saying he won't be good, but I want to see him hit a hole against an NFL team first.

Personally, I have a lot more confidence that he's going to be good than I ever did in Williams, Robinson, or Ferguson.   We have to hit on one of these guys, right?

Im aware of the level of competition he faced.  

He will have to keep the ball to his body and he's gotta learn he cant get away with some of the stuff he did in college.

im not projecting how good he'll be, havnt seen enuff. I was just commenting how i see he "moves" across the field. His legs and hips are lively.  He has an aggressive suddeness much like Dom Rhodes had too.  Im excited to see him in this offense.  He may be a perfect fit.

Idk about Walter Payton, but I do get a Barry Sanders vibe from Mack... I think that's because of the scheme he ran in during his college career vs. the Lions' offense during Barry's career. 

Detroit was so weirdly spread out that Sanders was always reversing course and cutting back. It always seemed like he ran 15 yards for every 3 yards gained. Mack has a lot of that kind of stuff on his college tape, as well. That's as far as the comparison goes, for me, though.

Mack can cut and dance, but he also has good size and will be learning from one of the best North/South, one-cut runners in history in Frank Gore. Frankly, i'll be excited to see what Mack can do in an NFL offense and hope that he gets the dancing coached out of him... Not many RBs (outside of Sanders, an all-time great) can make a living juking defenders behind the line of scrimmage. 

After the Trent Richardson debacle, I've learned to take College tape with a grain of salt. All that matters is two things:

1.) Is he intelligent? He better be; he will need to adapt, study, and do it fast. After the contract year, the NFL has no room for patience. First rounders are given second chances, but Mack isn't one of them.

2.) Is he a work horse? No, I don't mean working the buffet line. He should take nothing for granted, be one of the last to leave the gym, and perfect his craft. You can inspire rookies to be great, but they have to want it and prove they're in the NFL for more than just a paycheck.

Trent Richardson was good at failing, but I digress.

11 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

After the Trent Richardson debacle, I've learned to take College tape with a grain of salt. All that matters is two things:

1.) Is he intelligent? He better be; he will need to adapt, study, and do it fast. After the contract year, the NFL has no room for patience. First rounders are given second chances, but Mack isn't one of them.

2.) Is he a work horse? No, I don't mean working the buffet line. He should take nothing for granted, be one of the last to leave the gym, and perfect his craft. You can inspire rookies to be great, but they have to want it and prove they're in the NFL for more than just a paycheck.

Trent Richardson was good at failing, but I digress.

Trent could've been good but he got lazy once he got paid. Staying in shape is huge for a RB, he liked to eat and drink way too much.

I hope Mack ends up being a great late round pick and turns into a huge asset for us.  I would definitely hold off with any comparison to Walter Payton though.  You go out and mention the greatest back as a comparison to this guy?  That is rough.  And just by watching some college tape?  I have watched some of his tape and I do not see Payton at all but I see someone who has speed and the ability to make someone miss.

49 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I hope Mack ends up being a great late round pick and turns into a huge asset for us.  I would definitely hold off with any comparison to Walter Payton though.  You go out and mention the greatest back as a comparison to this guy?  That is rough.  And just by watching some college tape?  I have watched some of his tape and I do not see Payton at all but I see someone who has speed and the ability to make someone miss.

Uhh, read it again.

its NOT a comparison.

sheesh

To those who didn't grow up and have the pleasure of watching Sweetness, that is the man who had it all. Balance, vision, speed, shiftiness, and if he wanted to...he would just run right through you.

Even when you scored a touchdown in Tecmo Bowl that sequence is from Walter Payton. You can see it at the end of the video. 

Mack has some things to work on. Like dancing too much behind LOS, holding football like a loaf of bread, bouncing everything outside.

Hopefully our coaches do their job with him. But I think at anytime he touches the ball, he can make a BIG PLAY. 

And that's what I like about him.

4 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Anytime you say when I watch him I see..... that sir is a comparison.

I guess its saying he'll be the greatest of all time too huh?

Sometimes i think people on this board just look for arguments.

my nephew's running style in high school and college reminded me of a few Nfl players too, but i didnt compare them on a talent level.  Thats 2 different things. 

Relax, i'm not crowning him.  

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Mack has some things to work on. Like dancing too much behind LOS, holding football like a loaf of bread, bouncing everything outside.

Hopefully our coaches do their job with him. But I think at anytime he touches the ball, he can make a BIG PLAY. 

And that's what I like about him.

I actually don't mind him bouncing it to the outside sometimes because gore had the vision to avoid traffic in the middle but his speed wouldn't allow him to hit a cutback lane or bounce to the outside

22 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

To those who didn't grow up and have the pleasure of watching Sweetness, that is the man who had it all. Balance, vision, speed, shiftiness, and if he wanted to...he would just run right through you.

Even when you scored a touchdown in Tecmo Bowl that sequence is from Walter Payton. You can see it at the end of the video. 

What made Payton so great was his work ethic unrivaled and his philosophy of inflicting the punishment instead of letting the defender leveling the hit.

I watched one video of him during draft season and thought he looked okay, but really wasn't blown away. Hopefully I caught him on a weaker day lol. He's obviously got some big play ability which is something we lack. And currently, I'm more worried about Gore than Mack (rhyming intentional there).

42 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Camp is very deceptive...I have hopes but it easy to fool yourself before they start playing actual games

And it's also proven time and time again to be the first sure signs of talents in a really good player. 

Nick Harper and Antoine Bethea are a couple of names to remember. 

He has good hands, he is shifty, runs fast with the ball in his hands, and he was in with the 1's at times

Not sure how any of that is deceptive. 

Is he a guarantee? No. I never said he was. The tools are there, and I like what I've seen so far. 

On 07/29/2017 at 9:45 AM, Track Guy said:

I watched one video of him during draft season and thought he looked okay, but really wasn't blown away. Hopefully I caught him on a weaker day lol. He's obviously got some big play ability which is something we lack. And currently, I'm more worried about Gore than Mack (rhyming intentional there).

I saw a couple of films and thought he looked average when he didn't have a hole.  When he did, though, he was like greased lightening,  which we really need.

He's got some jiggle in his wiggle in open space and should make the first guy miss.  If the OL can create a hole he should be able to break one or two for us.  I'm hopeful.

38 minutes ago, Archer said:

I see what you're saying with Payton.  I loved watching him play.  Hope Mack works on his ball security...

At practice today the coach had a tether strap on the ball and while the RBs were doing agility drills, the coach was yanking on the string trying to put it out. Never saw Mack lose one, nor any other back for that matter. 

On 7/28/2017 at 11:33 AM, krunk said:

Hoping Dalton Crossan is good too. Would give us another good young back to go along with Mack.

A good comparison and what I would want  is a Danny Woodhead type running back. I can see it

Ive liked Crossan since before the draft. 

On 7/27/2017 at 4:31 PM, WoolMagnet said:

Let me start by saying i know nothing aboutvhim other than basic stats and watching youtube highlight videos.  I was just watching those videos and his "style" if you will was reminding me of someone but i couldnt put my finger on it.

He's got a quick to the hole slashing speed that can break it.  He's got deceptive power that catches defenders offguard, and he regularly breaks tackles if you dont wrap him up.  He'll revers the field on you, and even retreat before springing it to the other side (ala barry sanders).  But mainly it was the position of his upper body when he runs, and especially his legs.  Watch his legs.  Big strider that has the moves to break ankles.

Now i realize the guy hasnt played a down in the NFL, and i'm not comparing talent.  But when i watch him run, i see ..:. (Drumroll please)..:: walter Payton.  I really do:

ps:  i'm. Gonna go seek shelter now cuz i know i'm gonna get blasted but my eyes see what they see:  its in the legs.

That's a hell of a comparison my friend. I can't defend this one not before he takes an NFL snap sorry. But if you're right then that's amazing because Sweetness is one of the greatest players in history. Rip. 

Ferguson has been here for a whole year.  It's pretty obvious to me why he was ahead of Mack in the pecking order today. I'm pretty sure he's up to speed a little bit more than the other young guys.    Plus the staff has already said no one will be handed anything. I'm sure they planned it that way on purpose to see what kind of competitor they have on their hands.  In a couple weeks and throughout the preseason it wouldn't surprise me to see Ferguson behind Mack and Crossan as things progress.