Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts went big

Colts are saying that Zach Banner (353lbs) and Grover Stewart (347lbs) are now the biggest guys on the team, on their respective side of the ball.  I want to see them against each other in some drills at Training Camp.  That's 700 lbs, between just two men.  I have to think that they are also two of the biggest men in the whole league, and we got them both in one draft.

The DBs we drafted are all around 6ft / 200lbs.  Mack and Walker aren't big, but they aren't really small either, and they are athletic.

Even the FAs we brought in are bigger than the players leaving.  Colts are getting bigger across the board, and possibly even more athletic.  This is great.

Size is good if they know how to use it... I know Banner has hits on him for being lazy at times and just counting on his size to make up for his lack of effort.  Not going to cut it in the NFL. 

I am looking forward to how these new pieces fit in and shake out.  Will be an exciting pre-season for sure!

1 minute ago, Everyone said:

I don't know how accurate those are, I've seen both listed at lower weights and Grovers as low as 300.

Yeah, NFL.com still has him at 295, ESPN at like 337, and the Colts at 347.

I guess he is putting on some weight to play interior DLine...

We'll see their "playing weight" closer to the season.

Banner's gonna have to drop some lbs and play RT. Maybe he can play G IDK. He's a project. with potential, but that was the only pick I wasn't really happy with. Unless he's the next King Dunlap or just a top tier RT in the NFL. Who knows. Cant ever tell. He may come in his 2nd or 3rd year and make a name for himself, or he may surprise everyone this year and be a stud from day 1, or he could be nothing but a backup. Like the potential though.

Stewart IMO. Wow, look at his stats. Watch some tape. The way he moves for his size. He can play all over the DL. He could be a kid who explodes onto the scene by his 2nd or 3rd season. Really like the pick there. He could end up being special IMO.

But on a side note, to show what kind of all around beast we have with Basham. Basham bull rushed him and pushed him back with ease. Shows the strength Basham has to go along with his physicality, burst, explosiveness, non stop motor and instincts. IMO. Basham is a bit of Markus Golden meets Justin Houston.We got the real deal here. Now we just need a physical freak of nature on the other side in next years draft. We need a Miller, Mack, Beasley, etc. And here's one. Danielle Hunter who IMO. Will be in the same category as those guys this coming year. We got a guy in Basham who can put up 10 sacks and set a physical edge and be the sam. Now like I said. Just need another beast oppo of him.

7 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Banner's gonna have to drop some lbs and play RT. Maybe he can play G IDK. He's a project. with potential, but that was the only pick I wasn't really happy with. Unless he's the next King Dunlap or just a top tier RT in the NFL. Who knows. Cant ever tell. He may come in his 2nd or 3rd year and make a name for himself, or he may surprise everyone this year and be a stud from day 1, or he could be nothing but a backup. Like the potential though.

Stewart IMO. Wow, look at his stats. Watch some tape. The way he moves for his size. He can play all over the DL. He could be a kid who explodes onto the scene by his 2nd or 3rd season. Really like the pick there. He could end up being special IMO.

But on a side note, to show what kind of all around beast we have with Basham. Basham bull rushed Banner and pushed him back with ease. Shows the strength Basham has to go along with his physicality, burst, explosiveness, non stop motor and instincts. IMO. Basham is a bit of Markus Golden meets Justin Houston.We got the real deal here. Now we just need a physical freak of nature on the other side in next years draft. We need a Miller, Mack, Beasley, etc. And here's one. Danielle Hunter who IMO. Will be in the same category as those guys this coming year. We got a guy in Basham who can put up 10 sacks and set a physical edge and be the sam. Now like I said. Just need another beast oppo of him.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I highly doubt that Ballard would draft a lazy player.

Exactly where do you get information that Ballard doesn't?

Banner's weight problems are real and well documented. That's what the lazy label is about. Banner himself reports being 385 in 2015 and says his weight is the reason he spent 5 years at USC. We can call It what we want lazy, undisciplined or hungry. It is clearly a problem. He has Ballard and Philbin believing he can control it. 

“Weight, weight, weight, I literally think about it all day,” Banner says. “And every time I take a bite of food, it’s like: up a dollar, down a dollar. Literally.”

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/11/09/nfl-draft-2017-zach-banner-usc-weight-loss

I am not really looking for much with Banner this year. I hope this guy learns the pro game under Joe P., gets stronger, and learns the offence. I see this pick and the Steward pick as future picks that could pay huge benefits as soon as next year. 

4 hours ago, akcolt said:

“Weight, weight, weight, I literally think about it all day,” Banner says. “And every time I take a bite of food, it’s like: up a dollar, down a dollar. Literally.”

I used to have this mindset when I wrestled, and that was only for 3 months of the year. I can't imagine how hard it is to do it every day. It really is a personal prison.

17 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

But on a side note, to show what kind of all around beast we have with Basham. Basham bull rushed him and pushed him back with ease. Shows the strength Basham has to go along with his physicality, burst, explosiveness, non stop motor and instincts. IMO. Basham is a bit of Markus Golden meets Justin Houston.We got the real deal here. Now we just need a physical freak of nature on the other side in next years draft. We need a Miller, Mack, Beasley, etc. And here's one. Danielle Hunter who IMO. Will be in the same category as those guys this coming year. We got a guy in Basham who can put up 10 sacks and set a physical edge and be the sam. Now like I said. Just need another beast oppo of him.

I respect your opinion, and I've watched some of his tape (what I could find).  I didn't see a burst.  He's mobile and strong, but he's also going against D2 guys.  He uses his strength and size to dominate smaller and less talented guys.  I just didn't see explosion.  I thought Kerr looked better when he was a rookie. 

Apparently the coaches and scouts, who forgot more than I'll ever know, see the potential.  I really hope they're right.  I said right after the draft, that he may have the hardest chance to make the team.

42 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I respect your opinion, and I've watched some of his tape (what I could find).  I didn't see a burst.  He's mobile and strong, but he's also going against D2 guys.  He uses his strength and size to dominate smaller and less talented guys.  I just didn't see explosion.  I thought Kerr looked better when he was a rookie. 

Apparently the coaches and scouts, who forgot more than I'll ever know, see the potential.  I really hope they're right.  I said right after the draft, that he may have the hardest chance to make the team.

Referring to Grover Stewart ???

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Referring to Grover Stewart ???

Yes.  Referring to your second paragraph.  Sorry, I should have highlighted it.

Anyway, I think we all have to temper expectations on him and Walker. 

I think we all understand that Banner is going to be a work in progress.

10 hours ago, akcolt said:

Banner's weight problems are real and well documented. That's what the lazy label is about. Banner himself reports being 385 in 2015 and says his weight is the reason he spent 5 years at USC. We can call It what we want lazy, undisciplined or hungry. It is clearly a problem. He has Ballard and Philbin believing he can control it. 

Banner will either become a professional or hit the bricks.  It is up to him.

Just like so many others.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

And I respect yours.... not sure if you saw this clip, but it does show some pretty good burst IMO.  One comment made that made sense too is the lack of rotational players on his team thus making him wear out during games.

Anyway take what you want from the film session, I am just putting it out there for you in case you missed it.  Shows him against Tenn and Troy.

Since we love clichés here in Indy....I guess we decided to go big or go home.....and to swing big!! We've seen teams here be the largest in the league....didn't help us...didn't make our run defense or offense any better. I'm more interested in athletic and skilled. Hope these guys bring more of that.

59 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

And I respect yours.... not sure if you saw this clip, but it does show some pretty good burst IMO.  One comment made that made sense too is the lack of rotational players on his team thus making him wear out during games.

Anyway take what you want from the film session, I am just putting it out there for you in case you missed it.  Shows him against Tenn and Troy.

Wasn't he talking about Grover Stewart?

Just now, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Wasn't he talking about Grover Stewart?

Yeah I realized it afterwards... I should have corrected my own mistake but I figured someone would at some point, lol.  Sorry.....I am not sure why I thought it was Basham...I must have misread it while I was scanning through the comments... call me stupid.

37 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Yeah I realized it afterwards... I should have corrected my own mistake but I figured someone would at some point, lol.  Sorry.....I am not sure why I thought it was Basham...I must have misread it while I was scanning through the comments... call me stupid.

Your namesake wasn't quite bright there Junior. :)  

8 hours ago, bababooey said:

I used to have this mindset when I wrestled, and that was only for 3 months of the year. I can't imagine how hard it is to do it every day. It really is a personal prison.

I think he has a personal chef now, so that should help.

38 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I loved old Junior Samples.  

If mom and dad were watching Hee Haw on Saturday night I had it made, they didn't pay much attention to me coming or going, lol.  

"Honest as the day is long Samples here".... good memories for me.

1 hour ago, BR-549 said:

No problem.  I think Basham was a steal.  Great pick at that spot.  

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Yes.  Referring to your second paragraph.  Sorry, I should have highlighted it.

Anyway, I think we all have to temper expectations on him and Walker. 

I think we all understand that Banner is going to be a work in progress.

Yeah. I feel ya. I could see Walker or Stewart going many different ways. I could see Walker coming in and having a Kwon Alexander type rookie year outta nowhere. Or I could see him taking some time. I do think that he's gonna be one of our starting ILB's of the future though. I love his upside. Very high ceiling as a sideline-sideline all around ILB.. With Stewart he's gonna have to adjust to the level of competition, coming from D2. But who knows. There's always a guy or 2 around the league drafted in the mid-late RD's to UDFA who make a big splash right away. I think one or both has the tools, talent, and ability to do that, but more than likely it'll take some time. Especially for Stewart. But again. JMO. Both have very high ceilings, and by their 2nd seasons I wouldn't be shocked if one or both exploded onto the scene and became household names.

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

No problem.  I think Basham was a steal.  Great pick at that spot.  

Yeah, sometimes I can be a little air headed in my older age.

Me too... I hope he is even better than expected and maybe even takes up where Mathis left off in a couple of years.  

Robert will be missed, not only for skills but also for his relentless effort... We all know that.

17 hours ago, akcolt said:

Any person with an eating disorder does not mean they are lazy.

Finally the Colts get some strength and size.

I've been jealous of other teams for years.  After a decade or so of watching teams run through the Colts defense at will, maybe we will have some obstacles for them to have to run through.