Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So Who Plays Right Corner?

BlueShoe

4 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Vontae plays both sides this won't be an issue

Vontae almost always lines up at RCB. There have been "few" times when we have had him shadow a particular player around the field. But make no mistake, Vontae is at his best when he is playing RCB. 

7 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I think it depends on Vontae. They aren't just going to let a rookie come in and move Vontae if Vontae isn't comfortable play LCB. 

I tend to agree. We are paying Vontae 10 million reasons why he is great at RCB. :) 

It will be interesting to see what happens. I do like Wilson in a "Richard Sherman" role. Maybe we play more zone on the left side, and have Vontae play mostly man on the right side. 

30 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I tend to agree. We are paying Vontae 10 million reasons why he is great at RCB. :) 

It will be interesting to see what happens. I do like Wilson in a "Richard Sherman" role. Maybe we play more zone on the left side, and have Vontae play mostly man on the right side. 

Don't know much about him but isn't he a press man corner?

6 minutes ago, achcolts said:

Don't know much about him but isn't he a press man corner?

In my opinion, Wilson has the ability to play outside in any system. 

He doesn't wrap up well when he tackles, but he gets ball carriers on the ground. If we polish him up then he could play it all. 

We have a very versatile pair of starting corners right now.

Add Malik to the mix, and this defense isn't the same old Colts. If we can get any kind of decent pass rush then it is going to be very tough to pass the ball on us. 

I don't see this as even a question,...Vonte is CB1

The question we need to be asking is this:

Who's playing nickel corner?  Ballard has already said is the conference after the Hooker signing, Butler is a safety.  This is now my worry spot on the entire defense after 3 rounds of the draft.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Why?

Not that I necessarily disagree; though I may.

Ballard said he wants Wilson to work on his technique. He may or may not be ready for a starting role, but he'll definitely see snaps nonetheless. 

8 minutes ago, MTC said:

I still believe Melvin will be the starter at RCB/LCB, at least during camp and into the pre-season. 

Im pretty confident Wilson will beat our Melvin. Melvin was solid last season but he is what he is, a corner that can play spot minutes due to injury, he's not a full time starter and the staff probably knows that.

25 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

wonder why they are being so adamant about that

hes played nickel back for years, and its a team need at this point

Now that i've sat and thought about it.  it's plain to me.  Without Butler at safety to start the ota's Ect, Hooker, Green and Geathers do not have a 'bar' to reach.  Ballard has emphasized competition on all levels. Maybe he's keeping Butler there to make them guys beat him out for the starting role.  Make them better, faster. Then if/when the two starters are figured out, And Butler is not one of them, he can be used as a nickel again?....i hope.

5 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Something has to give. 

Quincy Wilson lined up almost exclusively at RCB, and so does Vontae.

They're both starting. 

Do we teach a new dog new tricks or an old dog new tricks. 

It is a good problem to have. :)

Any Elite CB has no issue playing both sides. They knocked Sherman for lining up exclusively on the left side of the field, but he performed as good if not better when he moved around.

I tend to agree with the people that say it depends on Vontae. If Vontae wants to play RCB, you let him play RCB. If Quincy Wilson is as good as we think he is, he would have no problem playing LCB. And since he's a rookie, training camp and all other workouts could have him practicing on the left side

11 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Vontae almost always lines up at RCB. There have been "few" times when we have had him shadow a particular player around the field. But make no mistake, Vontae is at his best when he is playing RCB. 

Not always he's not like sherman vontae follows where the #1 wr goes left or right plus they're not gonna let a rookie come in and change things anyway

34 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Not always he's not like sherman vontae follows where the #1 wr goes left or right plus they're not gonna let a rookie come in and change things anyway

BlueShoe is right.. Vontae primarily lines up on the right side. Only this year did they start moving him around and it wasn't that often.

11 hours ago, MTC said:

Ballard said he wants Wilson to work on his technique. He may or may not be ready for a starting role, but he'll definitely see snaps nonetheless. 

Let's get real.

Wilson is instantly the second best corner on this team. 

2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

They can both do the same things so why not?.

It is a question the Colts coaches will be answering soon and that makes it a valid discussion.

I don't think we can say one-way or the other until the coaches tell us. But I can see no good reason why they would move Vontae when he is a proven top-notch commodity at RCB. 

We'll see. 

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Vontae plays most of his snaps on at RCB. It has been that way since he arrived.

He "sometimes" follows receivers, but not very often. He once traveled with Gronk. 

11 hours ago, MTC said:

I still believe Melvin will be the starter at RCB/LCB, at least during camp and into the pre-season. 

I will take that bet. LOL

Barring injury; Vontae and Quincy will be the starting corners on Day 1. 

11 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

I don't see this as even a question,...Vonte is CB1

The question we need to be asking is this:

Who's playing nickel corner?  Ballard has already said is the conference after the Hooker signing, Butler is a safety.  This is now my worry spot on the entire defense after 3 rounds of the draft.

I think we might move Butler back to the slot. 

But that is just a guess at this point. 

Plus we don't know how camp injuries will impact our thoughts today. 

1 hour ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

BlueShoe is right.. Vontae primarily lines up on the right side. Only this year did they start moving him around and it wasn't that often.

What I'm saying is vontae won't have a problem lining up on sides of the field plus a rookie won't have no say so on what he does